Prospect Info: 2023 14th Overall - Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wheeler's superlatives article had Yager as one of the best two-way forwards, with HMs for shooting, smarts, floor and ceiling.

Pronman's "Who's a centre" article has Yager as a maybe, with the pros being he's got the PKing/Compete/Skating, but doesn't have the standout abilities you'd expect for a 5'11" C.

Pronman has Yager as a top 5 shot

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Regardless this kid is instantly the best prospect we've had in years. Excited to watch his development.

Feel like I was more excited for both Pickering and Poulin tbh. Might change my mind on more digging.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
re: his slight goal scoring drop... I don't see how anyone could really be too mad about that considering he literally doubled his helpers. @Jacob already said it earlier but him getting flak for his lack of playmaking then doing that the follow up year is maybe the most encouraging thing about him I've seen. You love to see that kind of attitude.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Never dug much into him as I didn't see things about him that made me excited compared to the others

Now I am, I feel like I'm reading about different players with different profiles. Fantastic skater! Fantastic straight line speed but bad edges! Average skater! Good playmaker, bad playmaker, always engaged, sometimes a float, limited upside, big upside...

About the only thing agreed on is he's defensively responsible and he can really shoot.

I'm gonna keep digging but right now I'm a little ho-hum.

Also whoever is our WHL scout clearly knows how to make a pitch
peat; a lot of the disconnect is because of when they saw him. at the beginning of the year he was struggling. he was told he needed to work on his play making and he did. but when you focus on one thing you tend to let others go. and that's what happened instead of blowing down the ice he waited for his wingers so he could make a play, and was looking to pass when he should of just shot. at midseason things started to fall in place, and by playoffs he was carrying the team. so if you saw him in the start of the season you would have a low view of him if you saw him at the end of the year you would be thinking much higher of him.
edit; there is a risk to the pick but i feel we needed to swing for the fence and this was the guy to do it on.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Regardless this kid is instantly the best prospect we've had in years. Excited to watch his development.
Jesse Marshall made some good observations about him. Wasn't in the group of guys he liked, however doesn't believe he's a disaster.

Reactions: Pancakes

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Ranked #17 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #22 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #18 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #14 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #24 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #10 by THE HOCKEY NEWS
Ranked #15 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #30 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #18 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #11 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #17 by SPORTSNET
Ranked #19 by HPR/SHANE MALLOY
Ranked #20 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #33 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #12 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #26 by SMAHT SCOUTING

It's a Crapshoot, he could be the next Esposito he could be the next Michael Grabner

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
None of us have any clue about this shit, but we all love pretending that we do based on some articles or youtube clips. :laugh: He's Penguin property now, so hope for the best. Not the guy I would've picked, but anybody overly upset about this is probably just looking for anything to be pissed about and likely would've hated Perreault, ASP, Wood, Moore or whoever else. /shrug

See ya in like 5 years, Yager. Hope you don't turn out to be trash, but at 14, statistically, you will. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He DOES seem a little all over the board. Both in ranking and opinions... both in general and certain aspects of his game. I get what people mean by the "Esposito vibes" but I think the big difference here is going to be work ethic and an already robust two way game... which by all accounts he has both of.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Last goal shows really good hockey sense. This guy seems NHL ready at Defense, shooting, skating, and smarts.

Hopefully he can develop a better passing game.
Jesse was asked and said he’s three years away from the NHL at minimum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad