Prospect Info: 2023 14th Overall - Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not sure I'm reading a ton of talent in this guy other than his shot. It doesn't sound like he has outstanding hands or vision.

And when I compre him to Poulin or Pickering, the physical talent levels are just different in the wrong direction. If Poulin or Pickering pan out, they're rare players.

I guess if Yager pans out and his shot is everything they say, then he is even rarer. But the big shot is the one attribute I'm most take it or leave it about.

This could look very stupid very quickly if he pulls his game together quickly but... well, we'll see. And yeah, both of those guys were projects too.

I like the measured take in the midst of all the jubilation.

I'll say this... from the highlights the vast majority of his goals look a bit... well... junior-level. Dunno how many of those are actually NHL goals. But that means very little based off of just some 5 minute video and I'm far from well-versed on these guys.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not sure I'm reading a ton of talent in this guy other than his shot. It doesn't sound like he has outstanding hands or vision.

And when I compre him to Poulin or Pickering, the physical talent levels are just different in the wrong direction. If Poulin or Pickering pan out, they're rare players.

I guess if Yager pans out and his shot is everything they say, then he is even rarer. But the big shot is the one attribute I'm most take it or leave it about.

This could look very stupid very quickly if he pulls his game together quickly but... well, we'll see. And yeah, both of those guys were projects too.
Here’s what the guy from Daily Faceoff had to say about him…doesn’t sound great…

“Daily Faceoff‘s Steven Ellis ranked Yager as the No. 24 prospect available in this year’s draft. Here’s what he had to say about Yager in his final 2023 NHL Draft Rankings:

“Statistically, 78 points in a draft year is solid,” Ellis said. “He had 50 assists and showed he can be a highlight-reel machine. But there have been enough off-games to get some scouts concerned. He can play all situations, but he rarely engages physically and most scouts wanted to see more goals out of him. I like him as a complementary winger more than a center down the road.”

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Here’s what the guy from Daily Faceoff had to say about him…doesn’t sound great…

“Daily Faceoff‘s Steven Ellis ranked Yager as the No. 24 prospect available in this year’s draft. Here’s what he had to say about Yager in his final 2023 NHL Draft Rankings:

“Statistically, 78 points in a draft year is solid,” Ellis said. “He had 50 assists and showed he can be a highlight-reel machine. But there have been enough off-games to get some scouts concerned. He can play all situations, but he rarely engages physically and most scouts wanted to see more goals out of him. I like him as a complementary winger more than a center down the road.”
Yah, definitely don't see full time Centre in his future because of size.

Reactions: Andy99

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Seems like Yager went around when expected to, give or take a few slots. While Sandin-Pellikka or Wood were tempting alternatives, I think a playmaking center with a scoring touch is a good choice. Would have like to have learned more about him, but ESPN's "top-notch analysis" was lacking even for their pathetic standards. I'm surprised they weren't interviewing NBA players during the draft

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You guys that don't seem to get that pixies just plays the part really need to catch up a lot faster. Or put him on ignore. I'm not the hall monitor type but I'm getting a little weary of all the whining.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Yeah we'll see how it goes. All of our blue chippers have issues of some sort but that's how it goes when you don't pick in the top 5.

For Pickering it's offensive ability. For Poulin, skating. Yager seems the most well rounded of these three but might also have a lower ceiling (though higher floor perhaps given no real weaknesses apart from maybe size)

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Taylor Haase
@TaylorHaasePGH
·
4m
Kyle Dubas says that he’s pushed looking at potential new hockey ops hires until July 5, with the draft and development camp coming first.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You guys that don't seem to get that pixies just plays the part really need to catch up a lot faster. Or put him on ignore. I'm not the hall monitor type but I'm getting a little weary of all the whining.
He's chill, we all whine too much sometimes lol.

Based on his profile, he seems like he can be anything from a Brandon Sutter type of 3C to a legitimate all around top-6 center. Just need to wait and see how he develops.
Yah, the lack of engagement using his body has me a bit worried, becoming a Sutter would be awful.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Last goal shows really good hockey sense. This guy seems NHL ready at Defense, shooting, skating, and smarts.

Hopefully he can develop a better passing game.
His D does look surprisingly advanced for 17/18. Usually at that age they’re just kinda “there” but minimally engaged, and always leaning towards offense even without the puck. He’s pretty mature on D though. Don’t know if that’s on him individually or a Moose Jaw thing or a coaching thing or what.. They’re kind of in the middle as far as prospect-developing programs go. Not exactly London or the Oil Kings.

At a glance they don’t look like they’re going to be that great next year but some of their best players are returning. Including a 1st and 2nd rounder from 2022. So probably a good situation to develop in. Not terrible, not dominant. He won’t be on an island talent-wise.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
With the transition of the front office you could just call this the safe pick, but not a reach pick. There were some off the wall/board picks today.

It's up to these prospects to prove many GM's wrong being passed over.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's chill, we all whine too much sometimes lol.

I like pixies just fine. We go back and forth on the day to day. He has legit insight and knowledge. He just likes to wind people up a bit is all.

And yes I complain non-stop. But I keep it at complaining about hockey in every thread not the board's members.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
His D does look surprisingly advanced for 17/18. Usually at that age they’re just kinda “there” but minimally engaged, and always leaning towards offense even without the puck. He’s pretty mature on D though. Don’t know if that’s on him individually or a Moose Jaw thing or a coaching thing or what.. They’re kind of in the middle as far as prospect-developing programs go. Not exactly London or the Oil Kings.

At a glance they don’t look like they’re going to be that great next year but some of their best players are returning. Including a 1st and 2nd rounder from 2022. So probably a good situation to develop in. Not terrible, not dominant. He won’t be on an island talent-wise.
So he’s not going to university…will play in juniors?

With the transition of the front office you could just call this the safe pick, but not a reach pick. There were some off the wall/board picks today.

It's up to these prospects to prove many GM's wrong being passed over.
Yes, I think Yager was a safe “high floor” pick..but we’re going to be so devoid of real top talent in the next few years that I thought we needed to swing for fences more with this pick

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So he’s not going to university…will play in juniors?

Yes, I think Yager was a safe “high floor” pick..but we’re going to be so devoid of real top talent in the next few years that I thought we needed to swing for fences more with this pick
He’s already in juniors, yeah.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I was bracing for the Wood pick, tbh. Not that it'd have been bad, just felt like the same ol' shit. Bigger guy in the hope he'd be a power forward who has skating issues.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Time to casually glance at Yager's production now and then for like five years and see where he's at in terms of a potential NHL player. :laugh:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
My honest token valued analysis:

1. Did a good job improving defensive positioning this year. I don't think he is a defensive beast but he won't be a hindrance.

2. Shot explodes off his stick, especially when he reloads near the blueline and skates in. By far his best asset.

3. Playmaking improved in terms of slowing things down, especially on the powerplay, but his decision making under duress is suspect and I don't think he's a natural when it comes to creativity and "vision."

4. In general, he is quite predictable at this stage. He has nice tools with his shot and straight line speed, but he doesn't really drive the bus anywhere he goes and I find his transition numbers suspect when considering his tools. Production was heavily dependant on the powerplay this year.

I project him as a lower upside but safer scoring winger, which is funny since a lot of people see the exact opposite. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just like that he's a righty. His offensive game reads like Daniel Sprong to me.

Righty with a big shot. Can't have enough of them.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad