Prospect Info: 2022 Sens Development Camp

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Who are the guys to really stand out? Up front and on Defence. Greig is too easy for the forwards. Hamara on D and Ostapchuk F ?

The guys that might have some importance to the Sens :

Mandolese, Sanderson, Hamara, Donovan, Greig, Ostapchuk, Daoust, Boucher, Johansson, Latimer, Pettersson, Halliday

I just want to remind everyone how much flack the Sens got for choosing Pinto when Bobby Brink, Arthur Kaliyev, and Raphael Lavoie were still available. Fast forward and the only reason Pinto hasn't been a massive impact player yet is due to injuries. Kaliyev is the only player out of all mentioned that's a full timer NHLer, and even then there's no way I take him over Pinto. That's why I think we shouldn't worry about the underwhelming draft we may have had. I think our prospects will still do very well.

Are you talking about 2021? Because 2022 seems totally fine since we didn't have a pick before #64 and it being a weak draft class. Totally agreed on Pinto, hopefully I never said I would have preferred Lavoie. If I did, that was a really bad call.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who is the monster to the right of Jake?
I think that is Novak
1657564605148.png

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
View attachment 567240
Jake's right hand still in a brace.

Tried to put names to faces, may be mistaken.

Back row: Mando, Reidler, O’Neill, Massicotte, Dyck, Boucher, Wallberg, Hammara, Pettersson, Romeo, McDonald, Donovan, Ostapchuk, Latimer, Allard, Legault

Front row: Robillard, Halliday, Rousseau, Lavoie, Loheit, Roger, Sanderson, Novak, Daoust, Greig, Johansson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lots of power forwards on that roster. Interested to see Loheit and Novak against these prospects.

Hard to believe Daoust is still 165.

Anyone know why Nordberg isn’t attending?
Daoust better start eating steak!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Development Camp Day 1:
- nice to see Redden back on the ice with a Sens jacket on & Sean & Jorian Donovan on the ice together. Dorian & the brass were in their usual spot on the balcony over looking the ice.
- lots of big guys at this camp especially on defence, Roger, Romeo, Massicotte, Walberg & Donovan.
- a few big forwards too in Haliday, McDonald, Novak & Ostapchuk.
- Ostapchuk has impressed me the most on Day 1, he has good size can really skate & works hard on every drill. He made a few very good plays on guys & scored some nice goals on the goalies. He battled with a couple of defencemen out there today.
- Boucher & Greig had one drill where they raced each other & by the time they got to the other end neither got the better of the other & lost the puck into the corner. Greig looks good, somewhat polished, but I'm not sure he is NHL ready yet.
- Boucher can keep up, for how long is another story, he looked winded at times. He had a couple of shifts where he was battling with the big defenceman in front of the net & gave as much as he got. That is where he will do most of the damage like Tkachuk, is in front of the net where he'll screen the goalie, agitate the defencemen, tip shots, battle for pucks & most likely get into fights.
- Nobody really stood out today except for Ostapchuk, Romeo had a couple of battles with Boucher & Ostapchuk & did well.
- both Romeo & Roger are huge & the D took their lumber to a few players, their size & especially their reach broke up a lot of plays. They also have a few skilled players, Daoust looks pretty good, Pettersson looks interesting, but on Day 1 I liked what I saw in Ostapchuk, he's going to be interesting to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Redden hired as defensive consultant and will be at dev camp.

Guy was an Olympian - stud and our best Dman for many many many years including the year we went to the finals.

Good! I have wondered why the Senators do not have a former NHL level defenseman on the development side of the shop for awhile now. Seems to me they need someone who is a student of the D game to help our prospects and picks improve their hockey IQ and skillsets.

View attachment 567240
Jake's right hand still in a brace.
Who's who?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Development Camp Day 1:
- nice to see Redden back on the ice with a Sens jacket on & Sean & Jorian Donovan on the ice together. Dorian & the brass were in their usual spot on the balcony over looking the ice.
- lots of big guys at this camp especially on defence, Roger, Romeo, Massicotte, Walberg & Donovan.
- a few big forwards too in Haliday, McDonald, Novak & Ostapchuk.
- Ostapchuk has impressed me the most on Day 1, he has good size can really skate & works hard on every drill. He made a few very good plays on guys & scored some nice goals on the goalies. He battled with a couple of defencemen out there today.
- Boucher & Greig had one drill where they raced each other & by the time they got to the other end neither got the better of the other & lost the puck into the corner. Greig looks good, somewhat polished, but I'm not sure he is NHL ready yet.
- Boucher can keep up, for how long is another story, he looked winded at times. He had a couple of shifts where he was battling with the big defenceman in front of the net & gave as much as he got. That is where he will do most of the damage like Tkachuk, is in front of the net where he'll screen the goalie, agitate the defencemen, tip shots, battle for pucks & most likely get into fights.
- Nobody really stood out today except for Ostapchuk, Romeo had a couple of battles with Boucher & Ostapchuk & did well.
- both Romeo & Roger are huge & the D took their lumber to a few players, their size & especially their reach broke up a lot of plays. They also have a few skilled players, Daoust looks pretty good, Pettersson looks interesting, but on Day 1 I liked what I saw in Ostapchuk, he's going to be interesting to keep an eye on.
Thanks for the write up.

Any commentary on Novak and Loheit? I'm curious to hear how they looked considering they are battling to earn contracts.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
One year I was playing pick up hockey at Sensplex and we were delayed because the development camp was going. It was pretty sick watching the kids up close. They were doing 3on 3. It made me realize how slow our adult pick up league is lol, so fast up close. That was years ago but Pierre Dorion passed me along the glass and I said hi Pierre! He smirked and kept going.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thanks for the write up.

Any commentary on Novak and Loheit? I'm curious to hear how they looked considering they are battling to earn contracts.
I watched them & didn't really notice any difference, in other words nothing stood out to me. Novak has good size & looks to play a skilled game, a couple of times the defence played him hard & he didn't really fight back much, he needs to get meaner for a guy his size. Loheit has good speed & is obviously skilled with a decent shot & has a good compete level, but again not much different than other guys there & I'd take him over Novak probably because he is a RW. I'll keep an eye on them for you. There is lots there happening at the same time & while I'm watching something at one end something great could be happening at the other end that I miss.

I also thought Latimer was just slightly better that Lohiet at the drills where they were fighting for puck possession & going to the net since both are RW, but it doesn't mean I see everything either. We know the org is short at RW so he might get a contract, I'm not sure where they are with their 50 contracts & a number here will likely go back to junior, school & back overseas for another yr. Belleville could have a decent team depending on who ends up there & the Rookie tournament will be interesting with the size of Ottawa's defence depending on who gets to go. For a big guy Roger looks like a pretty good skater & can transition quickly from offence to defence & vice versus, same with Romeo.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not surprised at all to hear Ostapchuk had an amazing camp. Numbers just don't tell the story with him. He projects similarly to Josh Anderson.
Something else about Ostapchuk is his determination & drive with every drill, always working hard & he got into it with a couple of big defencemen. He doesn't back down & has some good hands, a good shot, good size & skates well, he looks like a bigger version of C. Brown with his dogged pursuit & never quit mentality & he has some offence to his game. Anderson might be a good comparison, we'll see. I liked his play & determination a lot today, I always like guys who work hard & never quit & never back down.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

That is one thing you notice about Boucher right away is how strong his wrist shot is & he does pick the corners a lot. It's a hard shot & he can get it off quickly & from almost anywhere & sometimes surprises goalies with how fast it is. He looks filled out & very strong & will need that to fight off these big D Ottawa has at camp. There was one drill where Romeo & Boucher got into it & it almost looked like they were going to go, Boucher stick checked him in the chest & it pissed Romeo off & he counterted with the classic cross check to the ribs a few times. Romeo also got into it with Ostapchuk with some stick work back & forth, it was a little chippy at times but it gives some guys an indication of how serious this can be. Halliday looks like an interesting pick although him, Johansson & O'Neill looked a little lost out there at times. Dyck's a long shot. I'll try & view some of the guys I didn't notice today tomorrow.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I watched them & didn't really notice any difference, in other words nothing stood out to me. Novak has good size & looks to play a skilled game, a couple of times the defence played him hard & he didn't really fight back much, he needs to get meaner for a guy his size. Loheit has good speed & is obviously skilled with a decent shot & has a good compete level, but again not much different than other guys there & I'd take him over Novak probably because he is a RW. I'll keep an eye on them for you. There is lots there happening at the same time & while I'm watching something at one end something great could be happening at the other end that I miss.

I also thought Latimer was just slightly better that Lohiet at the drills where they were fighting for puck possession & going to the net since both are RW, but it doesn't mean I see everything either. We know the org is short at RW so he might get a contract, I'm not sure where they are with their 50 contracts & a number here will likely go back to junior, school & back overseas for another yr. Belleville could have a decent team depending on who ends up there & the Rookie tournament will be interesting with the size of Ottawa's defence depending on who gets to go. For a big guy Roger looks like a pretty good skater & can transition quickly from offence to defence & vice versus, same with Romeo.
Thanks for the feedback. Novak has demonstrated in the past the ability to play a gritty game so he has that element to him but I could see him relying too heavily on trying to be skilled. I think he has NHL potential but he will likely need to adjust the role he is playing, like you have suggested, to play with more grit. I guess we will see how he does over the course of the camp.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That is one thing you notice about Boucher right away is how strong his wrist shot is & he does pick the corners a lot. It's a hard shot & he can get it off quickly & from almost anywhere & sometimes surprises goalies with how fast it is. He looks filled out & very strong & will need that to fight off these big D Ottawa has at camp. There was one drill where Romeo & Boucher got into it & it almost looked like they were going to go, Boucher stick checked him in the chest & it pissed Romeo off & he counterted with the classic cross check to the ribs a few times. Romeo also got into it with Ostapchuk with some stick work back & forth, it was a little chippy at times but it gives some guys an indication of how serious this can be. Halliday looks like an interesting pick although him, Johansson & O'Neill looked a little lost out there at times. Dyck's a long shot. I'll try & view some of the guys I didn't notice today tomorrow.
I hope Boucher can have a good bounce back season. He's very toolsy so there's potential there.

Reactions: Icelevel

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Please keep it coming.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
NGL, when I saw the names of the forwards I thought I would see a picture of guys literally taking runs at the goalie.

When I saw the name of the goalie I didn't realize they had brought Jakob to development camp. Kyle McDonald too. Nice to see them give a look at a couple of undrafted local '02s.

Reactions: aragorn and Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad