OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
After some on this board have been crapping on Dubas the last several days “look at the team he created” will now turn to “look at them without him.” It’s coming.

Bruins are always talked about how they’re such a well run org (which they are) but they massively underachieve and constantly choke way too much for a team that is supposedly so well run.
If not for Tim Thomas (and Greg Campbells dad) they would be known as THE biggest chokers in pro sports at this point.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Gretz said it better than I could; The Leafs winning games 5 and 6 without Matthews, then losing in game 7 when he comes back, would be the funniest thing imaginable. The kind of shit we'd get from the Toronto media and fanbase would feed the schadenfreude inclined for generations.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Both the Bruins and the Leafs are pretty terrible by playoff standards and the winner of the series is probably going to be annihilated by the Panthers. The Leafs were down 3-1 to a team whose top 2 centres won't make the top 6 of many NHL teams and their PP is like it's run be Rierden, the Bruins spend whole periods with one or two shots on goal because they are as afraid to lose as the Penguins have been lately under Sullivan.

The Bruins losing despite being 3-1 up and their goalie standing on their head is going to be pretty funny and the melodrama of Leafs losing is known for its entertainment value, so game 7 promises to be fun. A resistible force meets a movable object kind of fun but still.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Game 6. Nashville down in the series 2 games to 3. Scoreless through 58+ minutes of play until they give up a goal. Tocchet and Rutherford in the building. Feel like I've seen that somewhere before.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Man, these playoff games are so boring…

Revised: third period between Dallas and Vegas is great

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
This is finally McHayzeus’s year. Cake wake through the west, only Colorado could maybe stop them.

Anyone ready to admit he might go down as a better player than Sid when it’s all said and done?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
This is finally McHayzeus’s year. Cake wake through the west, only Colorado could maybe stop them.

Anyone ready to admit he might go down as a better player than Sid when it’s all said and done?
It’s an impossible comparison. We never got to see prime Sid in this type of open hockey. I honestly think prime Sid with the right teammates could have put up 160 in this league.

Man, these playoff games are so boring…

Revised: third period between Dallas and Vegas is great
Kind of sucks for the NHL. All these games in prime time on a Friday night and most were low scoring and low shot affairs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They really have been. IMO the only series that’s been worthwhile has been Bruins/Leafs
That was true before the last couple games…Leafs came back from 3-1 deficit by playing terrible trap hockey…there’s a reason teams are playing it…it works lol, but it’s non entertaining hockey

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
So much shot blocking lately that it's like every player is Brandon Tanev now. Two of the three decisive goals in the last two days were lucky deflection off a D-man. I half expect tonight the Leafs and Bruins to play a few OTs and the winner to carom off everyone on the ice, a few stanchions and the Jumbotron for good measure.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
That was true before the last couple games…Leafs came back from 3-1 deficit by playing terrible trap hockey…there’s a reason teams are playing it…it works lol, but it’s non entertaining hockey
NHL coaching risk aversion manages to make 4v4 and 3v3 and now first round playoff elimination games boring in what appears to be a concerted effort to drive its loyal fans away.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Both the Bruins and the Leafs are pretty terrible by playoff standards and the winner of the series is probably going to be annihilated by the Panthers. The Leafs were down 3-1 to a team whose top 2 centres won't make the top 6 of many NHL teams and their PP is like it's run be Rierden, the Bruins spend whole periods with one or two shots on goal because they are as afraid to lose as the Penguins have been lately under Sullivan.

The Bruins losing despite being 3-1 up and their goalie standing on their head is going to be pretty funny and the melodrama of Leafs losing is known for its entertainment value, so game 7 promises to be fun. A resistible force meets a movable object kind of fun but still.
Bruins versus Leafs in Game 7. It's the age old battle of the movable object versus the resistible force.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
It’s an impossible comparison. We never got to see prime Sid in this type of open hockey. I honestly think prime Sid with the right teammates could have put up 160 in this league.
That’s what sucks, even after those rule changes before Sid entered the league the scoring just wasn’t as high as it is now. Also, Crosby getting injured and missing large portions of some of his prime years was unfortunate too. He could easily be closer to 2k points if it wasn’t for those injuries.

But hey, he has at least stayed healthy for the most part in his 30’s. What will be curious to me is seeing if 1. McDavid can win Conn Smythes/Cups like Sid has and 2. If McDavid can put up 90-100 pts in his mid 30’s like Sid has. I just kind of feel like… he’s due to win one eventually. Lemieux didn’t until he was close to how old McDavid is now. And Ovi got one eventually too. And he probably will keep racking up points though I’m not sure if he’ll age as gracefully with how reliant his game is on speed I think? We’ll see.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Matthews in, Woll out.

Insane drama.
Why is Woll out? They’ve only been winning since he’s been playing lol

Keefe looks the owner of a Chick-Fil-A franchise..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad