Prospect Info: 2022 Sens Development Camp

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Thanks for the reports. I always try to go to 3-4 Senators game a year but am too far for the dev camp, appreciate the feedback and read it all!

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
This is just stat-watching, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Zakary Lavoie: (7th overall pick by Mississauga in 2020) 74 games, 27 goals, 52 points last year.
Owen Beck: (29th overall pick by Mississauga in 2020) 78 games, 22 goals, 57 points last year.

Both had an important development season taken away from them due to the Covid cancelled OHL season.

In the NHL draft, Beck goes 33rd overall while Lavoie goes undrafted. Obviously it goes beyond production and Beck plays a two-way game as a centre, but it's nice to see Lavoie wind up at Ottawa's development camp. There were a few other high OHL picks that went undrafted as well (Pano Fimis, Max Namestnikov, Spencer Sova). They missed a big year in their development. Might be worth keeping an eye on in their 2nd OHL seasons.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Development Camp Day 2:
- today was figure skating day for all the small speedy smurfs (KIDDING) :D, it was figure skating day though with almost all the prospects today. That figure skating coach looks about 4' tall & 80 lbs next to those giants out there, so I didn't spend much time in that rink. Keep in mind that this is development camp & these guys are all going through drills that although emulate game situations are not real game situations & some guys are good at drills while others are not, but better in actual games.

- in the centre rink with the stands they had the four goalies & five players, Boucher, Greig, Latimer, Roger & Hamara. Why these five, I have no idea, but these are the guys I watched today & the goalies.
- first the goalies, Rouseau is the smallest of the goalies at 6'1" & was getting beat a lot top shelf, he needs some work & likely will return to junior. Robillard at 6'3" was slightly better & I thought held his own, in one drill nobody scored on him after a dozen penalty shots.
- Mandolese is obviously the most mature of the four, but didn't look any better or worse than Robillard or Reidler, he covered his angles & corners a little better than the others, obviously coached a little longer & better.
- Reidler was interesting, first he is huge, even on his knees he covered most of the net, if he puts on another 20/25 lbs he may just cover the entire net. He's got a quick glove hand, moves side to side well, covers the bottom of the net well & really only leaves the corners & five hole open at times. He didn't look all that comfortable handling the puck so I imagine that is a skillset he will need to work on.

- The three guys that impressed me today was Greig, Boucher & Roger so I'll start with the other two. Hamara looks like a solid all around player, at 6' he's not that big in comparison to the other monsters here, but he just looks well rounded, a good skater, solid on his skates, good speed, pivots well, but doesn't have a very strong shot to the net. He's going to get his points from wristing the puck to the net on tip ins & puck deflections or just good passes, he's not going to overpower anyone. I liked what I saw from Latimer, looks like a good skater more north/south than east/west, has a good shot but isn't going to dazzle anyone. He has a sneaky fast shot & at 6'2" will do some battling for pucks along the boards & in the corners. He needs a set up guy, someone to get him the puck.

- for a big guy Roger is a very good smooth skater, not necessarily fast, but smooth & kind of glides on the ice & gets to where he wants to go quickly. He doesn't have a bomb from the point, but is another guy who will get his pts by placing a nice fast wrister to the net & hope guys are tipping it in or capitalizing on rebounds. Given how well he skates he & Kleven will make for an interesting future pairing, he looks to me like a young Holden with much better skating & he needs another 25 lbs of muscle to handle guys like Boucher who is very strong on his skates.

- I was able to watch Greig & Boucher a lot today, they were right in front of me doing several drills. The first thing I noticed was what a hard shot Boucher has, just so we are clear he put a shot along the ice on all four goalies at different times & powered it in on all of them. I mean his shot was so hard even though they tried to stop it with their pad or stick it was so hard it powered right through them. He has one of the hardest shots I have ever seen at development camps. Another thing he does well is pick the corners, he also hit about a dozen cross bars an inch lower that would have gone in, same for Greig too. He just looks like a very powerful guy with wide shoulders & a solid thick waist & it was nice to see him & Greig get along so well. And for those who think he isn't skilled, he made one of those between the legs plays in the shootout at full speed that went in top shelf where grandma keeps the home made jam. A line of Ostapchuk - Greig - Boucher will drive defences crazy due to how good these three guys are, how tough they are, how quick they are & how determined they are. :hit:

- Greig looked great today too, he is very skilled handling the puck, he can score from anywhere it seems, he's very crafty with his shot selection & also has a very good wrist shot at the net, he can pick the corners really well too. He's also a good puck distributor with very good vision & can easily & quickly pick his spots, he is the most poilished of the guys at camp IMO. In fact based on just these two days which means nothing, I thought that Ostapchuk, Greig, Boucher, Roger & Reidler are the best prospects at camp. Greig is also an excellent skater & for those that think Boucher is slow he beat his linemates on two consecutive speed drills from one end of the rink to the other. Of course that was a drill with the figure skating coach after they were done at the other rink & he did change into those white skates. :naughty: Kidding Again. I was really impressed so far with these five prospectss & think they all have the makings to be NHL players, maybe even very good ones.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Looking forward to a huge bounceback year from Tyler Boucher. The kid has tons of skill, great speed, a great shot and of course the drive and competitiveness that you cannot teach.

He just has to put it all together if he can.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
can see the tools in Boucher that made the Sens scouts fall in love with him. Just gotta hope hes not a 'tons of tools but no toolbox' kinda player.

Didnt love his game with the 67s last year but willing to give it a bit of a pass with the weird ass season he went thru.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Someone posted like 1:21 of cvideo Donovan got walked twice. Prolly a little nervous added pressure having papa around

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Great to read on Boucher. Hopefully he proves many (including myself) wrong. I wasnt impressed anytime I watched him last season but I am not cheering against the kid.

Reactions: Tragedy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope Boucher can have a good bounce back season. He's very toolsy so there's potential there.
Just based on what I'm seeing at the development camp, he's not going to wow anyone & for those who like fancy dangling they are not going to like the way he plays although occassionally he can wow you with a play or shot. He's the very definition of a power forward, he is going to go to the net hard, rifle shots from around the crease, pick the corners & top shelf, drive goalies mad, get into it with a lot of defencemen & play a hard nosed old fashion brand of hockey. He's different than Tkachuk, maybe more like Josh Anderson, my guess is that Boucher will score goals from 5 to10 feet in front of the net with the quick wrister looking for the corners & top of the net, but like Tkachuk jam it in with his hard shot or push it in along with the goalie into the net too. He is going to be a unique player with some warts, but he has an interesting array of skill hopefully he has a good bounce back yr with the 67s. With all the scoring tools the Sens have his unique play will show something different & bring an added edge to their game which IMO they can always use more of, the same can be said for Greig & Ostapchuk.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Development Camp Day3:
- all of the prospects were in one rink today, they divided the ice in half working on some drills at one end with a couple of goalies & a few prospects & at the other end was where the majority of players were.
- the drill was a two on two at one end with two extra players for one team at the other end & if the puck makes it down to them, the opposing players have to get back in their end asap to stop them. This was an entertaining drill with lots of back & forth play, tough possession play along the boards & fighting for loose pucks. It really shows determination, drive, puck possesson, compete level, strength & skill in close.

- Lavoie had a tough morning, first he tried to cross check Greig from behind, but Greig saw him coming & gave him the shoulder check to the face before he was ready, "ouch". On another shift Lavoie got mixed up with Boucher & it pissed Boucher off who cross checked him in the head as they both fell down to the ice. I like it that Boucher has a mean streak & will use it.

- Greig & Boucher (Team White) IMO were the class of this drill & showed how much further along they both are from this group, both are very hard to knock off the puck & very good at protecting the puck & keeping puck possession. Although these two are very good together Team Black won this drill a few times.

- on one shift team black dominated the drill & must have scored 4 or 5 goals in a flurry of shots. I was very impressed with McDonald today, I don't know anything about this guy but he's big, he can take the hard checking & dish it out & he has a pretty good shot in close roofing a couple of goals in tight. O'Neill played well today too as did Petersson using their strength a lot in tight corners & fighting off the pressure & scoring some nice goals.

- Loheit also played well today in this drill & at times looked like Boucher out there. He plays a very determined game, works really hard, doesn't mind the rough stuff & goes hard to the net & fights off pressure in close. Hopefully, they sign him, he would do well in Belleville & the org could use more hard working RWs with skill who can score.

- Ostapchuck made some great defensive plays diving for pucks & blocking shots, he works really hard on every shift all over the ice. Novak again went somewhat unnoticed & Halliday just seems overwhelmed by it all. Also not that impressed with Johansson, Latimer or Dyk, didn't even notice Allard, they're okay, but not impressing in any way. Daoust too doesn't really do anything to stand out, he's fast, he's skilled & he's invisible, he just doesn't engage much especially in the tough play along the boards.

- on defence Romeo is another very good skater, but rail thin & not that strong yet. Massicotte & Legault were heavier & threw their bodies around pushing & hitting guys every chance they got. Walberg is another big RD who can hit & isn't afraid of the rough stuff, might keep an eye on this guy. Donovan & Hamara are PMD who mostly stay away from the hitting & doing more stick checking, they do fine in puck possession on the big ice until some big forward cross checks them into the ice on the smaller ice.

- Roger is an interesting prospect, he's a very big guy but also quite thin, he's not at all physical & uses his big reach & stick a lot rather than plough someone into the boards. He's an excellent skater, very smooth & handles the puck well, but doesn't seem strong enough to move big bodies in front of the net. He could get challenged by Walberg at some point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I watched Loheit a lot today & I have to say I was impressed with him. He is a very hard worker & at times I confused him with Boucher, he's not quite as stocky as Boucher, but also has a solid hard wrist shot & is quite fast. I hope he gets to signed, Belleville could use him especially since he plays RW.

I also watched Novak but just not sure about him, he certainly has the size & seems like a decent skater but seems to lack the compete factor. Should be an interesting 3 on 3 tournament tomorrow, maybe a few of these dark horses come up big.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I watched Loheit a lot today & I have to say I was impressed with him. He is a very hard worker & at times I confused him with Boucher, he's not quite as stocky as Boucher, but also has a solid hard wrist shot & is quite fast. I hope he gets to signed, Belleville could use him especially since he plays RW.

I also watched Novak but just not sure about him, he certainly has the size & seems like a decent skater but seems to lack the compete factor. Should be an interesting 3 on 3 tournament tomorrow, maybe a few of these dark horses come up big.
Novak has shown that compete at Northeastern. He reminds me a lot of Nick Paul where he is a very versatile player who can take on multiple roles and has good tools but needs to direction to identify a clear role where he can thrive. He can be mean and physical, or play a skill game, he can play wing and center, he can kill penalties and be a defensive forward, he has a powerful shot and good reads as a shooter, he can also man the point on the powerplay.

I think because he can take on so many roles that it might give you that impression of uncertainty about him. It just creates the question of what is he and what does he project as. Mann and Smith were able to make things work for Paul so I think they could make things work for Novak. Mann also did an excellent job of helping Kastelic find that consistency with his physicality and really use his size and strength, so I believe he can help Novak do the same.

Reactions: R We A Team

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

h-ocZb.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Novak has shown that compete at Northeastern. He reminds me a lot of Nick Paul where he is a very versatile player who can take on multiple roles and has good tools but needs to direction to identify a clear role where he can thrive. He can be mean and physical, or play a skill game, he can play wing and center, he can kill penalties and be a defensive forward, he has a powerful shot and good reads as a shooter, he can also man the point on the powerplay.

I think because he can take on so many roles that it might give you that impression of uncertainty about him. It just creates the question of what is he and what does he project as. Mann and Smith were able to make things work for Paul so I think they could make things work for Novak. Mann also did an excellent job of helping Kastelic find that consistency with his physicality and really use his size and strength, so I believe he can help Novak do the same.
And these are just drills we are watching, some guys are different in games than in practise. He is going back to school isn't he? So I doubt he gets a contract this time or at least their is still time on him, but what about Loheit do you know if he is done school or returning?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00