Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Yes, the team with both starting goalies out, along with the best defenseman and 1 of the best forwards, would be a fair example for what that team was at the time.

Interestingly enough, have people’s opinions NOT changed on Torts with the news of Dubois wanting out of Winnipeg also??
My opinion of Torts has nothing to do with PLD. I loved the Torts hire and loved what he did here. But just like every organization that isn't winning the championship, a time will come when the players need to here from a different voice. We went all in on the Torts and Panarin group (I was all for it), it didn't work out. That was the end of that group. Move on and rebuild.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
More on Chychrun from the Ottawa Sun although I really don’t know what to make of this:

This makes it seem like he vetoed the deal indirectly?

Edit: it actually sounds like he’s just going off of Hedger’s reporting.

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
He can't veto the deal directly or indirectly.

Here's what the article says-
"The Columbus Blue Jackets have made a serious pitch for Arizona Coyotes D Jakob Chychrun, but it’s doubtful he’ll be going there. Chychrun doesn’t have a “no move” clause and the Jackets have the assets to make the deal, but it doesn’t sound like it would be the right fit for the 24-year-old. He’s signed through the 2024-25 campaign with a cap hit of $4.5 million. Several teams have shown interest in Chychrun, however the Coyotes want a large return. The Coyotes would like a return similar to the one the Buffalo Sabres received from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for centre Jack Eichel"

Classic Ottawa Sun awful reporting.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The last 2 years have been easily the worst 2 years in recent memory. Last years team was still absolutely terrible.

Hilarious that Laine gets credit for making the team “better” this past year, while apparently having no impact on why they were so bad all of a sudden the year before to begin with.

Hilarious that Torts and Jones get the blame for the terrible year and not Laine. Not to mention, completely ignoring THE IMPACT LAINE HAD ON THE TERRIBLE YEAR AND THOSE GUYS LEAVING!!

Why did Torts become “disinterested” and “give up” on the CBJ??

Why did Jones all of a sudden not want to re-sign, after giving indications he would??

Obsessed with Laine huh? Yeah, also Laine had terrible season 20-21 (or half of a season, he did play only a bit north of 40 games for CBJ due to his injuries), but on that season the team seemed to be terrible without him, terrible with him.

Why did Torts became disinterested? Who knows. That happened before Laine trade, so not related to Laine. People leaving CBJ after a terrible season? Yeah, definitely on Laine, for sure, dear thebus88.

Reactions: Ippenator and LJ7

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Sillinger is getting credit for performing at or above expectations for his scouting report and for a rookie. He showed some things that make him projectable as a very good center an in the NHL, even if he is not one yet. That people ( myself included) wouldn’t trade him for Seth Jones is not surprising.

Agreed. 28-year-old Jones with 8 years at 9.5M might be OK, but also might bite your butt in 4+ years. An ELC + RFA years of a promising 19-year-old Sillinger won't hurt the team that is in the middle of "re-tooling" or re-build. I like the kid.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The last 2 years have been easily the worst 2 years in recent memory. Last years team was still absolutely terrible.

Hilarious that Laine gets credit for making the team “better” this past year, while apparently having no impact on why they were so bad all of a sudden the year before to begin with.

Hilarious that Torts and Jones get the blame for the terrible year and not Laine. Not to mention, completely ignoring THE IMPACT LAINE HAD ON THE TERRIBLE YEAR AND THOSE GUYS LEAVING!!

Why did Torts become “disinterested” and “give up” on the CBJ??

Why did Jones all of a sudden not want to re-sign, after giving indications he would??
The season before last was covid-19. Laine came in during the season, what was in the locker room we don't know. Porty can say anything.

Regarding Torts. You have probably forgotten that he wanted to leave after the 2019/20 season. And only talking with veterans kept him. So he wouldn't have stayed anyway.

Btw, it's interesting that Werenski changed agents (he was previously Brisson, as in Jones) and immediately signed a contract after Jones left. Why?

PLD... Torts hasn't coached Winnipeg, PLD's father in the organisation. Do you really think he wanted to leave CBJ for Torts? I doubt it. Similar like Panarin who has wanted to play in New York Rangers (and now NYR doesn't know how trade him 😉).

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
My opinion of Torts has nothing to do with PLD. I loved the Torts hire and loved what he did here. But just like every organization that isn't winning the championship, a time will come when the players need to here from a different voice. We went all in on the Torts and Panarin group (I was all for it), it didn't work out. That was the end of that group. Move on and rebuild.
I've always been a person who beleives you bring in certain coaches for certain teams.
Guys like Torts (and Hitch) were needed here. Just to bring structure and a voice.
In both their cases the team turned on them. In both cases (at least after) the team regressed for a bit.

My issue now is I wonder who is calling the shots?
Seems like it would be JD - and he may be too patient.
Maybe it's Jarmo - and Jarmo wants to win now and would be aggresive.
So we will see.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am surprised it took this long for someone to express this directly. It was the first thing that occurred to me after reading it. Although, as I understand it, it was not "anywhere," but he did have some say in a trade destination. Still, the "oh god not Columbus" feel is certainly there.

The McDonaugh trade rumor involving Columbus was validated by Friedman just now on Sirius Morning Skate. He said Jarmo refuted Columbus had a plan involving McDonaugh coming/talking to him about Columbus after being claimed off waivers. He said he confirmed Rick Nash talked to him but McDonaugh felt Nashville was closer to win now than Columbus. He also said no State Tax in Tennesse. McDonaugh and Nash‘s families are close.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The McDonaugh trade rumor involving Columbus was validated by Friedman just now on Sirius Morning Skate. He said Jarmo refuted Columbus had a plan involving McDonaugh coming/talking to him about Columbus after being claimed off waivers. He said he confirmed Rick Nash talked to him but McDonaugh felt Nashville was closer to win now than Columbus. He also said no State Tax in Tennesse. McDonaugh and Nash‘s families are close.
There is the connection we missed. Nash and McDonagh payed together in NY. I had forgotten that. Reasonable enough clarification but we'll see if Nashville is really closer to win now or not.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The cost to get him will be astronomical. I don't see us giving up the assets needed to get him when we are close to done with the retool.
I don’t expect 100 point guys to be cheap. Big physical wingers with talent don’t grow on trees but he would certainly help make us less soft. I’d have to think Jarmo has at least picked up the phone.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don’t expect 100 point guys to be cheap. Big physical wingers with talent don’t grow on trees but he would certainly help make us less soft. I’d have to think Jarmo has at least picked up the phone.

What if they want 6OA and 12OA + Bjorkstrand? Of course agreed upon extended Matty T and we get their 1st Rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad