Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
In due time...not now. When there is a missing piece or two then ad the vets., I have no problem adding Chychrun. He is young enough to grow with the core and to be a long term asset and I don't think he would send the Jackets into serious playoff contenders thereby messing up a high draft pick.
I disagree
i have no issue with adding Chychurn but
a solid vet on the blue line would do wonders

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Judging by the next season, Jarmo's decision was the right one. Voracek is more important to the team than Atkinson. Savard, and especially Foligno are past their zenith of performance. Jones wanted to leave, whoever was here. We got Boqvist, Sillinger, Bean and pick in the 1th round this draft for him. Torts wanted to leave after the 2019/20 season.
Laine is starting to improve. And although his all around game is far from ideal, he is improving.

To Boqvist. He's still young, 22 year.

Yes I think Jarmo has done well given the circumstances. Things are looking up. I just think we should understand what it looked like from the perspective of the old core. They're not traitors or bums for wanting to stick with what they built.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Seth Jones is a great player now and for the next foreseeable future. How bad the CBJ are defensively and in general after he left CAN NOT be denied. Unlike what many would like to believe around here, he’s also still worth a “big ol’ pile of assets”.

Last season w/o Jones the team was better in almost every respect compared to the previous seaon with Jones. So he is not a rainmaker.

(Not Jones' fault that 20-21 was bad, and more to do with disinterested Torts that was 'forced' to coach yet another year in CBJ against his will. But still 8*9.5M for aging Seth Jones isn't something I would like to commit to)

Reactions: LJ7

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yes I think Jarmo has done well given the circumstances. Things are looking up. I just think we should understand what it looked like from the perspective of the old core. They're not traitors or bums for wanting to stick with what they built.
Jarmo must look to the future. And as it turned out, the approach of certain players led to the abyss. Btw interesting Lars didn't think it. 🙂

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like it'll be at the draft or not at all. If they can't find a deal when 12th oa pick is up for trade, then I can't see how they'll find one after

I would rather we trade from our scoring depth and not from our picks, which I'd like to swing for upside with. So I'd be relieved if we don't have a deal this week.

Reactions: VT

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I feel like it'll be at the draft or not at all. If they can't find a deal when 12th oa pick is up for trade, then I can't see how they'll find one after
Yeah I would be fine with that. It seems like Armstrong might be asking for too big of a return if he wants something like the 12th pick + Boqvist.
Maybe a win-win trade is the 12th + Jake Bean & Kirill Marchenko.
Personally want to avoid trading either Boqvist or Chinakhov.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sillinger is getting credit for performing at or above expectations for his scouting report and for a rookie. He showed some things that make him projectable as a very good center an in the NHL, even if he is not one yet. That people ( myself included) wouldn’t trade him for Seth Jones is not surprising.

I mainly just have an issue with the overall expressed opinions on Jones as a player and the impact he had on the CBJ while playing and the impact there has been from him leaving.

I have an issue with people saying they’d rather have the cap space over Jones, yet find similar contracts in Werenski or Laine (or other type players) acceptable.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Last season w/o Jones the team was better in almost every respect compared to the previous seaon with Jones. So he is not a rainmaker.

(Not Jones' fault that 20-21 was bad, and more to do with disinterested Torts that was 'forced' to coach yet another year in CBJ against his will. But still 8*9.5M for aging Seth Jones isn't something I would like to commit to)

The last 2 years have been easily the worst 2 years in recent memory. Last years team was still absolutely terrible.

Hilarious that Laine gets credit for making the team “better” this past year, while apparently having no impact on why they were so bad all of a sudden the year before to begin with.

Hilarious that Torts and Jones get the blame for the terrible year and not Laine. Not to mention, completely ignoring THE IMPACT LAINE HAD ON THE TERRIBLE YEAR AND THOSE GUYS LEAVING!!

Why did Torts become “disinterested” and “give up” on the CBJ??

Why did Jones all of a sudden not want to re-sign, after giving indications he would??

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
nothing gets me more fired up for the 2022 offseason like discussing the 2021 offseason.

Jones and Torts are completely irrelevant to this seasons team and offseason. I would very much like to put that shit in the past where it belongs, and focus on what actually matters to the upcoming season. Not crying over old spilled milk from the literal previous offseason.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
nothing gets me more fired up for the 2022 offseason like discussing the 2021 offseason.

Jones and Torts are completely irrelevant to this seasons team and offseason. I would very much like to put that shit in the past where it belongs, and focus on what actually matters to the upcoming season. Not crying over old spilled milk from the literal previous offseason.

The whole point is that this “change in direction” isn’t what it’s all cracked up to be, and we are possibly about to engage in a long term commitment with a player (and overall team mindset) that arguably had a HUGE impact on the team going from a literal perennial playoff team, to 1 of the most dysfunctional and poor defensive teams in the entire league.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The whole point is that this “change in direction” isn’t what it’s all cracked up to be, and we are possibly about to engage in a long term commitment with a player (and overall team mindset) that arguably had a HUGE impact on the team going from a literal perennial playoff team, to 1 of the most dysfunctional and poor defensive teams in the entire league.

The team was in a tailspin and not a playoff team before Laine was acquired. Give up the schtick, it’s old and f***ing annoying.

Reactions: Ippenator and LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
We’re in offseason #2 of the change of direction. What do you mean it’s not all it’s cracked up to be? It’s barely started. Rebuilds aren’t supposed to be easy or fun.

In my opinion, the jackets spent the better part of the last two seasons just accumulating talent. High end skill and offensive ability. Not caring or giving a damn about scheme, defensive fit, or anything like that. In my opinion, they’re trying to find their “stars” to build the offense around, and will trade the others away for the scheme and defensive fit.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Not true.
It is though. The jackets made the playoffs the previous year due to a bubble format. Had covid not happened they were about to embark on a stretch of games without Elvis, korpi, Jones, and Bjorkstrand. That team would have sunk fast.

And the shortened season was ruined by PLD and Torts’ locker room feud

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The team was a bubble team at best after Panarin left and the following season a train wreck with most of the same personnel until the Laine trade

Maybe they would have missed it going forward (feel free to say they probably would have missed it, if that's what you feel), but you can't say that they weren't a playoff team before Laine was acquired because they quite literally made the playoffs every season. They knocked the Leafs out of the playoffs a matter of months before Laine was acquired.

Reactions: thebus88

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
More on Chychrun from the Ottawa Sun although I really don’t know what to make of this:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have made a serious pitch for Arizona Coyotes D Jakob Chychrun, but it’s doubtful he’ll be going there. Chychrun doesn’t have a “no move” clause and the Jackets have the assets to make the deal, but it doesn’t sound like it would be the right fit for the 24-year-old. He’s signed through the 2024-25 campaign with a cap hit of $4.5 million. Several teams have shown interest in Chychrun, however the Coyotes want a large return. The Coyotes would like a return similar to the one the Buffalo Sabres received from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for centre Jack Eichel

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is though. The jackets made the playoffs the previous year due to a bubble format. Had covid not happened they were about to embark on a stretch of games without Elvis, korpi, Jones, and Bjorkstrand. That team would have sunk fast.

Did they make the playoffs or not? Yes or no.

The only answer is "yes".

You can talk about them getting lucky with the format and I can talk about them being terribly unlucky with injuries to begin with (They had already played much of that year missing half the team, so how do you know they would be a bad team at normal health?) and then winning a postseason round against a good team.

You can't say that a team that made the playoffs isn't a playoff team because they got lucky. They're either in or they're out.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Yes, the team with both starting goalies out, along with the best defenseman and 1 of the best forwards, would be a fair example for what that team was at the time.

Interestingly enough, have people’s opinions NOT changed on Torts with the news of Dubois wanting out of Winnipeg also??

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad