Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next? - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
No, next year there's even less depth because that's when the extensions kick in. We'd have a far better chance this year. Next year we have roughly 11.5M to fill 8-9 roster spots which means your depth is mostly going to be league minimum players as we'd still have to re-sign Colton with that number.
It depends how you look at it. Perry and Bellemare both come off the books next season and I have no doubt that Colton and Paul can take bigger steps into some of those minutes and allow us to shelter youngsters a bit easier. We'll get younger and faster, most likely, but lose some experience. That said, how much are we really losing? Perry has a bunch of it, Bellemare too, but its not as if they've been productive lately and I don't think Bellemare has won anything.

Also, in this same vein, I do wonder what forwards Sergachev was on ice with the most in the playoffs. There was a distinct lack of puck support by forwards at times against NYR, and especially against COL. The 35+ line just couldn't hang.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think there should be some concern over Bellemare too. He's gonna be 38 years old before next season ends. I would feel a lot better if we started grooming his replacement pretty much immediately. And also, as good as our 4th line looked at times, when it looked slow, it looked REALLY slow. It would be nice to have a 4C, or at least a 4th liner, with an engine. That's really how Tyler Johnson had a decent swan song with the team.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think there should be some concern over Bellemare too. He's gonna be 38 years old before next season ends. I would feel a lot better if we started grooming his replacement pretty much immediately. And also, as good as our 4th line looked at times, when it looked slow, it looked REALLY slow. It would be nice to have a 4C with an engine. That's really how Tyler Johnson had a decent swan song with the team.

We could even put Colton there again, his game is well-suited for playing behind the net with Maroon and Perry. But the hope is that he can take another step forward next year, so maybe that would have to mean more special teams time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We could even put Colton there again, his game is well-suited for playing behind the net with Maroon and Perry.
I don't know if you can put a guy who scored 20+ back down to the 4th. Especially on a team that just lost its 1LW, and will need to replace some 5v5 scoring.

Do we have anybody in Syracuse ready for 12 minutes per night?

Reactions: Stammertime91

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know if you can put a guy who scored 20+ back down to the 4th.

Do we have anybody in Syracuse ready for 12 minutes per night?

You beat my edit, but I don't disagree.

And no centers really. Fortier is the closest but I see him slotting in as a winger. I hope Goncalves takes another step forward this year, he could be a wild card.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Re McDonagh: This was the weaker return. Next year we would have to pay assets cause we dont have the option to keep him anymore, so we have less leverage. Also we shouldnt forget that teams could have offer sheeted our RFAs easily tying our hands more.
I realize they would have likely had to attach an asset to move McD after next season, and so JBB decided to severely weaken the defense for this year and take a big gamble on Serg in order not to do so. I believe they could have still signed the rfas now(granted in all the lineups I did I never had Serg anywhere close to 8.5....) and made the harder decision on McD after one more season.

They will have even less depth after this year, with Killorn gone and ~11.5 million to re-sign Colton and Foote(if that's the plan), plus at minimum 4 additional F, 1 additional D and a backup G. Even being generous, Colton and Foote are eating 4 million of that space, leaving Tampa 7.4 million to sign at least 6 players(and given the rfa contracts just handed out, I doubt Colton is settling for less than 3 million if he has a another 20 goal season). I just thought they might consider keeping the defense as strong as possible for one more run, given that has been more of the priority as of late in team philosophy/approach.

Last edited:

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
As an outsider, I see Tampa is $7.2 million over the cap currently. Are there certain players that you guys are expecting to be moved out prior to the seasons start to become cap compliant?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It depends how you look at it. Perry and Bellemare both come off the books next season and I have no doubt that Colton and Paul can take bigger steps into some of those minutes and allow us to shelter youngsters a bit easier. We'll get younger and faster, most likely, but lose some experience. That said, how much are we really losing? Perry has a bunch of it, Bellemare too, but its not as if they've been productive lately and I don't think Bellemare has won anything.

Also, in this same vein, I do wonder what forwards Sergachev was on ice with the most in the playoffs. There was a distinct lack of puck support by forwards at times against NYR, and especially against COL. The 35+ line just couldn't hang.
Perry was .5 ppg and had 19 goals, for a 3rd/4th line guy he definitely outperformed his contract. PEB had 20 points and was more in line for a 4th liner, but he still brought solid value for his cap hit. Even if they both leave, Tampa still has to replace those spots and each is making 1 million, so it's not like Tampa is going to be saving much, if anything on those spots(and with far less experienced players, albeit younger and faster most likely).

As an outsider, I see Tampa is $7.2 million over the cap currently. Are there certain players that you guys are expecting to be moved out prior to the seasons start to become cap compliant?
You're not factoring in Seabrook's ltir, and with Cirelli and Bogo set to miss the first month or two, Tampa is fine cap wise. Once they come back, Tampa will send someone down or.make a small move.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Perry was .5 ppg and had 19 goals, for a 3rd/4th line guy he definitely outperformed his contract. PEB had 20 points and was more in line for a 4th liner, but he still brought solid value for his cap hit. Even if they both leave, Tampa still has to replace those spots and each is making 1 million, so it's not like Tampa is going to be saving much, if anything on those spots(and with far less experienced players, albeit younger and faster most likely).

You're not factoring in Seabrook's ltir, and with Cirelli and Bogo set to miss the first month or two, Tampa is fine cap wise. Once they come back, Tampa will send someone down or.make a small move.
Forgot that Seabrook deal even existed

Reactions: JTBF81

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I don't give a shit about how you feel?

No tantrum, just like that other nutsack I really don't give a shit how you feel about the signing and its a shame both of you are too dense to realize that.

He is getting the 2022 version of the Hedman contract - the same one I had to watch you goombas come out of the woodwork for in 2016 and tell everyone that its bad.

You care so little how we feel, you've repeatedly responded to us. How interesting. It's almost like you're just a whiner, one with no ability to support the things you say. You said Serg has been productive, when proven objectively wrong, you go with this response? You're either mentally inferior or a child, 100 percent one of the two or both.

I also said nothing about Hedman's contract, but it's not surprising that you've resorted to making up arguments. The simple of society do this frequently. Gonna have to block you, you've established that you offer nothing outside of wild, baseless claims and cowardly rebuttals when proven wrong. Adios amigo.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't give a shit about how you feel?

No tantrum, just like that other nutsack I really don't give a shit how you feel about the signing and its a shame both of you are too dense to realize that.

He is getting the 2022 version of the Hedman contract - the same one I had to watch you goombas come out of the woodwork for in 2016 and tell everyone that its bad.

Source? Cause nobody said that, that was a great deal from day 1 and everybody in the league knew it, this one however, isn't.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
hedman was 26 when he signed his max contract, two years older than serge is now (he got a longer bridge deal than serge). when hedman was 24 (same as serge now) he had only cracked 40+ points once and the rest of the years he hadn't exceeded 30 points.

again, hedman is an absolute stud and not a great comparison for anybody. but serge still has time to earn his contract, and be uhhh hedman adjacent?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah I don't think anyone was critical of the Hedman contract. League-wide that was recognized as a steal pretty much immediately.

It was a great deal that became a f***ing steal and one of the best contracts in the league. Sergachev's is an overpayment that we hope becomes good. I don't like the contract comparison because you don't expect him to be a Hedman like you wouldn't expect Cirelli to be Bergeron but there's other comparables that make it look bad.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
gonna hate myself for this but what about a basis trade with Tkachuk and Point the main pieces. Tampa gets an elite winger and a guy who isnt scared to be an asshole. Calgary gets the hometown kid who's NMC doesnt kick in till next season and is signed for less than what they were offering Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Maybe something like Tkachuk, Zary, a 1st and something else for Point, Rights to Sammy Walker, and a conditional 3rd

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Absolutely not, with how his family holds out for every dollar and JBB's contracts of late you're going to see this guy signed for like 11M.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It was a great deal that became a f***ing steal and one of the best contracts in the league. Sergachev's is an overpayment that we hope becomes good. I don't like the contract comparison because you don't expect him to be a Hedman like you wouldn't expect Cirelli to be Bergeron but there's other comparables that make it look bad.
Yeah let’s hit pause on the Hedman comparisons. If you compare $erg’s contract to Heiskanen, Nurse, Hamilton, OEL, Chabot and other is it really that different though? I’m not trying to defend the deal, just trying to understand why JBB and staff thought “that’s a good deal, let’s do it”. Serg is among the youngest of his peers, can play both sides and in almost every situation and brings tons of playoff experience already.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah let’s hit pause on the Hedman comparisons. If you compare $erg’s contract to Heiskanen, Nurse, Hamilton, OEL, Chabot and other is it really that different though? I’m not trying to defend the deal, just trying to understand why JBB and staff thought “that’s a good deal, let’s do it”. Serg is among the youngest of his peers, can play both sides and in almost every situation and brings tons of playoff experience already.

Their workloads are higher and none of them have a Hedman/McDonagh in front of them, we've all noted how much that fact has benefitted Sergachev's development so don't know why that's being downplayed after he gets a big contract. Sergachev played a 3rd pairing role half the time he was on the ice and the other half was with Hedman. He's been put in an extremely favorable development position for a young d-man and hasn't exactly stood out compared to his peers who have it worse.

The trend with Sergachev in the playoffs is that he gets beat up the 1st 2 rounds and then becomes solid towards the end, how many of those other guys get that luxury? If those guys have a poor series their teams are done. How comfortable would you be if Hedman was out for a season and Sergachev has to go against the leagues top forwards nightly?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRoad

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Point is probably the last forward I would trade, even after Kuch. Stamkos's contact is up in 2 years so we'd possibly lose two generational centers in two years. And he's basically a multiyear playoff MVP without the trophies.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Serge is comparable to Hedman, or any other defenseman, but he's not them. He's Mikhail Sergachev.
According to main board people, hes;

Michael Sergachev

gonna hate myself for this but what about a basis trade with Tkachuk and Point the main pieces. Tampa gets an elite winger and a guy who isnt scared to be an asshole. Calgary gets the hometown kid who's NMC doesnt kick in till next season and is signed for less than what they were offering Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Maybe something like Tkachuk, Zary, a 1st and something else for Point, Rights to Sammy Walker, and a conditional 3rd

Are you on crack cocaine?

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad