Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next? - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
like McD, hedman just gets the benefit of the doubt from the hive mind.

this past playoffs, "bonehead" Michael Surgachef had a better take away/give away ratio (8:21) than hedman (6:23) contrary to the many many posts describing the many bad plays by serge and proving Malcolm Gladwell's "our minds create the past we want to remember, not necessarily what happened" Brian Williams memory theory
It applies to you too. Myself and others called out Hedman (and McDonagh) for being pretty poor. No defenseman in particular stood out this run. I said it about Hedman several times throughout. Difference is, he's the clear #1 defenseman on this team and the hope is he remains that without having seen a decline. I would think not since he just had a heck of a regular season so hopefully it's just fatigue.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
It applies to you too. Myself and others called out Hedman (and McDonagh) for being pretty poor. No defenseman in particular stood out this run. I said it about Hedman several times throughout. Difference is, he's the clear #1 defenseman on this team and the hope is he remains that without having seen a decline. I would think not since he just had a heck of a regular season so hopefully it's just fatigue.
for sure, i don't mean to sound elitist. it's something we all do. but you have to admit the "serge is bad" has been an ethos here.

i remember thinking hedman was a bust in 2011 during the playoffs since he was so, so terrible. he really didnt turn out to be an exceptional player until the 2015 season. i guess that's why im so soft with serge now, and have created the Mikhail Sergachev Anti-Defamation League Posting Group

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
for sure, i don't mean to sound elitist. it's something we all do. but you have to admit the "serge is bad" has been an ethos here.

i remember thinking hedman was a bust in 2011 during the playoffs since he was so, so terrible. he really didnt turn out to be an exceptional player until the 2015 season. i guess that's why im so soft with serge now, and have created the Mikhail Sergachev Anti-Defamation League Posting Group
I remember writing his eulogy in 2015 against Detroit when we were down 2-1 before the Johnson comeback. I was proven wrong that postseason.

I would have liked to have seen Sergachev in a pure #2 LD role, not behind McDonagh before this contract.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021

I don't think Serge is bad, I think he's good. My problem is with JB shortcutting the process we've used in the past and giving Serge and Cirelli 8 year contracts too soon and at seemingly high AAVs for their past performances. Cernak is the only one of the three who's play warranted the 8 year commitment in my opinion as he's a known entity at this point - just like Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov and Point all were when we gave them 8 year deals.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

"Serg is bad" is a thing because he does the dumb stuff McDonagh does/did that got him voted off the island on an almost nightly basis because he is older than 30. Now on the other side of the coin, Serg was balls on when we needed him to be. He was everything we ever wanted or needed him to be come SCF and was probably the last reason we lost.

There's not gonna be any real in between until Serg fixes the warts in his game

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ottawa needs to get all over this. It's not a coincidence their fortune can immediately change like this as soon as Melnyk kicks the can. Happened for us with Culverhouse.

Matty's a freaking gem. Thinks a bit stupid come playoff time but I think that can be coached.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Ottawa needs to get all over this. It's not a coincidence their fortune can immediately change like this as soon as Melnyk kicks the can. Happened for us with Culverhouse.

Matty's a freaking gem. Thinks a bit stupid come playoff time but I think that can be coached.
Calgary probably realizes that they could turn their fortunes around too if they address whatever is going on there.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I mean if you’re Tkachuk would you do it differently? He just saw their best player walk for no good reason. Why should he commit long term now? Something’s fishy.

That doesn’t mean he won’t go for a ridiculous amount on short term if their management convinced him that they have a plan. Then sign for a year or two and check if they’re for real. Or get traded and cash in elsewhere. Win win.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
i say we trade Colton and Myers with some picks to Seattle for Yanni at 50% retained and call it a day

Reactions: J T Money

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
His bank account would say otherwise I imagine.

I mean I guess, but it's very difficult to become a pro athlete without being ultra competitive. He's known what it's like to be a millionaire for awhile now, all that's left is winning or losing and it appears he might be doing a lot of losing going forward. Hollywood is a great example of how more money doesn't necessarily translate to happiness, those people might the most miserable people in society.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I mean I guess, but it's very difficult to become a pro athlete without being ultra competitive. He's known what it's like to be a millionaire for awhile now, all that's left is winning or losing and it appears he might be doing a lot of losing going forward. Hollywood is a great example of how more money doesn't necessarily translate to happiness, those people might the most miserable people in society.
Probably feels the same way he felt before we got him from New Jersey....

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Things seem to be changing, but I don't think that getting to pro (any level) requires ultra competitiveness. It helps, but there's been plenty of gifted players who were the big fish for their amateur careers. That's often the story with the big NHL busts. They're ahead of everyone in their age group, but when it's time to put in the effort, they nope out.

What's the story every training camp season? This might be the first time some of these guys haven't been the best player, and they've got to deal with that.

Competitiveness can likely be trained into most players, however.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think in the vast majority of cases the difference between being a professional and being an amateur is just your earning potential, not your compete level.

In a certain, twisted way you could say Palat staying with the Lightning for cheap would have been amateurish

:baghead:

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
nieds gets $4m per for 2 years, that's a good deal for a short term.

1658417626894.png

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I don't give a shit about how you feel?

No tantrum, just like that other nutsack I really don't give a shit how you feel about the signing and its a shame both of you are too dense to realize that.

He is getting the 2022 version of the Hedman contract - the same one I had to watch you goombas come out of the woodwork for in 2016 and tell everyone that its bad.
Your argument is weird considering Sergachev isn’t Hedman, in fact, he’s not even close. Thus your argument for justifying the contract is off-base.

Whether he took a sweetheart deal or not AS IS it’s not a good contract, he’s not worth $8.5 AAV.

Paying him $8.5 AAV means at minimum he’s a 2nd line starting D and hes definitely not that.

He’s a 3rd line starting D with a power play presence currently. I think you could make the case he’s $2 million AAV over his worth.

His potential is $8.5 AAV but they don’t give out big contracts to 3rd line D who might pan out and have the potential to become a 2nd line d-man.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
That Nino deal is incredible value for Nashville. Thought for sure he'd get a 4x5 deal or something similar to Rakell (5x5).

I'm interested to see what de Haan goes for now. If it's less than a 1x$1.9m deal, which could be the case since he's still available, a Nino/de Hann duo would be so much better than a Vladdy/Cole combo. Of course I haven't done the math and fitting Nino's $4m in next season would probably be near impossible, but still can't believe he was attainable for such a low AAV deal.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Lol I don't buy the whole "We could only get 1 year deals" after seeing some of these contracts. Nino for 2 years at 4M is a grand slam of a contract. I actually love this because it makes life tougher on Colorado.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Even of the people who dont like this contract (I'm one of them), I think there are very few who are saying Serge is bad. It's more that he hasn't shown his THIS good yet.

To me, Serge is a 6m Dman with the potential to be an 8.5m Dman. I just dont like paying up front on the hope he hits (what I think is) his ceiling.

To me, any comparison to Hedman is far fetched, regardless of which side we are on. Hedman was a different level prospect who reached his full potential a little later than some people would have liked, but whatever, because he became a long-standing best Dman in the game. I dont think anybody should be putting that kind of expectation on Sergachev. Nor do I think the contract sets that expectation, because the best players in the game are making a lot more now.

I think the real argument comes down to how "okay" are we with paying for potential rather than results. I see 8.5 as high end #2 money and I dont think Sergachev is that level of player yet. I would have liked to wait and see what he can do with more responsibility now that McD is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad