World Cup: 2022 FIFA World Cup

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Any time someone makes a prediction about global events or anything really you risk sounding like an idiot when you probably get it very wrong buuuut. His throne after his old man kicks the bucket will be highly contested. Many people in the royal family would be after it. He’s very young, prone to rash decisions and already felt this heat hence why he locked up many of his family members years ago. However, once he gains the crown for many Saudis it would be the end of history essentially. Would they take that laying down? I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t.

Interesting. I guess I had just kinda assumed that after those arrests when he came to power, he had positioned himself like Putin has...as the only person that the powers behind the throne can agree on...so that they'd keep him in place for as long as possible to avoid the civil war that was certain to break out if any of the power players tried to replace him*

But I also know very little about saudi arabia. Never been there myself and it's one of the few countries that I've never even spent much time talking to someone from...unlike Qatar, where one of my closer college friends was from.

*granted that armistice seems to have collapsed now, judging by the way the oligarchy has been cannibalizing itself since the invasion started; with everyone seemingly trying to take advantage of the chaos to bump off all of their rivals before their weapons need to be put back down.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Interesting. I guess I had just kinda assumed that after those arrests when he came to power, he had positioned himself like Putin has...as the only person that the powers behind the throne can agree on...so that they'd keep him in place for as long as possible to avoid the civil war that was certain to break out if any of the power players tried to replace him*

But I also know very little about saudi arabia. Never been there myself and it's one of the few countries that I've never even spent much time talking to someone from...unlike Qatar, where one of my closer college friends was from.

*granted that armistice seems to have collapsed now, judging by the way the oligarchy has been cannibalizing itself since the invasion started; with everyone seemingly trying to take advantage of the chaos to bump off all of their rivals before their weapons need to be put back down.
You obviously know more about Russia but the oligarchs would rather stay behind the scenes while the members of the royal family want the actual throne. Plus those guys he put in jail, had to pay to get out and accept the charges of "corruption" so its not like their in their for life.

Reactions: cgf

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
That’s the ghost of all the dead migrant workers.

oh-snap.gif

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You obviously know more about Russia but the oligarchs would rather stay behind the scenes while the members of the royal family want the actual throne. Plus those guys he put in jail, had to pay to get out and accept the charges of "corruption" so its not like their in their for life.

The russian oligarchy has a similar preference for keeping their own faces off the regime and hiding behind their medieval castle walls...my dad's buddy who stayed behind and survived to become a lower-level oligarch (net worth in just the low 9-figures lol) literally has a 6-8m tall stone wall around his estate that is almost 2m thick the whole way around.

But because there's no royal family for them to shove in front of the people and because the military / kgb elites held onto enough power after the collapse of the USSR to remain power players in the new russia as well, there's a massive tension when it comes to who the public face of the state needs to be. As everyone has their own preferred candidate and nobody wants to let "the other guys' candidate" get the gig.

I assumed that MBS's rivals weren't just allowed out because they paid up to be released. Figuring instead that they were being held until MBS had been able to sever them from their sources of power by securing their supporters to his cause; like what happened to khodorkovsky.

But if that really was just about buying himself time to consolidate power and strengthening his resource advantage over his rivals, then yeah that sounds like a powderkeg just waiting to blow up...especially if they have been able to rebuild their support since being released, while MBS has stumbled into blunder after blunder.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

KSA is a beautiful country, have visited a few times - It is unlike anything you have seen, kinda like Japan, very different.

Jeddah is a beautiful city.

KSA as a country, is hella iffy tho.

member 305909

It feels depressing thinking that when Qatar was awarded the tournament it seemed like it is a long time to come in the very distant future.

Now that time is here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It feels depressing thinking that when Qatar was awarded the tournament it seemed like it is a long time to come in the very distant future.

Now that time is here.

I know what you're saying...but as someone who had to see his nation go through a significant down period in our youth development during that time that we just started coming out of a few years ago, it certainly didn't feel very quick :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The bullshit positivity talk from FIFA and the IOC before the World Cup/ Olympics is so torturous to me. Football unites the world, let's learn from each other, football is love, whatever other platitudes they have planned, blah blah blah. They are producing an entertainment product, that is all. It would be torturous even if FIFA and the IOC weren't cartoonishly corrupt organizations.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Can see why a Croatian league select team (essentially Croatia C team being kind to them) beat Qatar 3:0. For all the prep they could barely control the ball let alone create an offensive action

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Can someone please tell me how that 1st goal was offside? I mean even in slowmotion with lines it made no sense....

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
When the Ecuadorian player headed the ball, the Ecuadorian player who crossed the ball was ahead of the second to last man back
Just couldn't see it - Will have to rewatch.

I read somewhere that a former top ref said 0 out of a 100 linesmen would have called this in the times before VAR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad