Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why is that concerning…..?

He’s a competitor and wants to win, his teammates were not to his speed….I’m glad he went through this, you learn about yourself, went from a selfish mindset to a leadership role, probably something he’s never had to do.
Ever heard of the expression ''Making your teamates better''??? Why in the world is Mesar too good for that to happen? Who the heck does he think he is? loll

There's 1 guy in the world that could systematically blame his teamates for not being at the same speed...his name is McDavid....The others would concentrate in inflating his teamates numbers.

Mesar played with Rehkopf and Sale. They couldn't follow him? Really? How did Rehkopf got the season he had without following?

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I think it was lost in translation but if it wasn't you have to try and speak truth without throwing anyone under the bus. The gift of being able to tell someone they are screwed up without them realizing that you told them.
You hear him and you think he played with career Junior 4th liners. He played with Rehkopf and Sale mostly. And his points, he got them a lot on the PP playing with the same players.

Geez, the kid got 15 assists during the playoffs....somebody had to be able to follow him to capitalize?

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
You hear him and you think he played with career Junior 4th liners. He played with Rehkopf and Sale mostly. And his points, he got them a lot on the PP playing with the same players.

Geez, the kid got 15 assists during the playoffs....somebody had to be able to follow him to capitalize?

Think a lot was lost in translation personally.

Maybe he meant to say that during the season he'd failed to build chemistry with teammates, that he'd envision a play in his head, make a pass that he thought would be obvious but that they weren't seeing, or seeing too late then getting frustrated about it.

I think he was trying to explain why he'd look lifeless on the ice at times during the regular season.

I say that, but the lack of effort and heart Mesar showed at times for Kitchener this season and last was concerning to say the least. And I personally also have concerns about his game not translating well in the pros even if we magically disclaim all attitude problems on Mesar's part.

As of now, aside from skating and maybe pure passing ability Mesar does not have a "+" skill to his repertoire when compared against pros from the NHL. Then you add-in the fact that his defensive implication and prowess leave a lot to be desired, as do his physical strength, puck-protection skills, and balance, that he hasn't shown much progression since getting drafted, and the picture gets a bit bleak.

All of which to say that Mesar will need to show really well in Laval next year if he wants to keep his NHL future alive.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think it was lost in translation but if it wasn't you have to try and speak truth without throwing anyone under the bus. The gift of being able to tell someone they are screwed up without them realizing that you told them.
I would pause rushing to judgement...

The translation is one thing, the cultural & language context is another. NA sensibilities are far more passive aggressive & Oreo/sandwich feedback approach than eastern Europe. Much more normalized in that sporting cultural context to speak directly/plainly, without sugar coating to protect fragile egos.

From that pov, I think if anything, the comments are positive as far as his sense of accountability... He's basically stating & owning that he didn't adjust quickly enough to the environment and recognizes that once he made adjustments, things got better... That's a positive sign imo

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

“These kids I was playing with are straight dogshit. While I was already playing and producing in a pro league against grown ass men as a teenager these bums were studying for their algebra exam. I ain’t got time for these kiddos, get me better teammates who actually know what they’re doing and you’ll see what I can really do.”

I like it, he’s got that dog in him. Can’t wait to see him in Laval next year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Ever heard of the expression ''Making your teamates better''??? Why in the world is Mesar too good for that to happen? Who the heck does he think he is? loll

There's 1 guy in the world that could systematically blame his teamates for not being at the same speed...his name is McDavid....The others would concentrate in inflating his teamates numbers.

Mesar played with Rehkopf and Sale. They couldn't follow him? Really? How did Rehkopf got the season he had without following?

That’s my point, he’s not too good for that to happen, but it did and that’s something he had to figure out.

After playing pro hockey for sure his game was at a higher speed and I’m happy he’s figured it out.

You cant Expect every player to be a finished product At 17, the athlete and person, there’s always growth involved and that’s exactly what Mesar showed.

Gotta remember that these kids are teenagers and they’ve been known to make wrong decision from time time

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Well i have a feeling he'll never play for the habs what an idiot comment.
Teenagers do say stupid things sometimes, imagine a microphone stuck in your face from the time you were 16, imagine how many stupid things you or any of us would’ve said especially in your second language….and imagine what you said would be plastered all over the internet…..good times

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Teenagers do say stupid things sometimes, imagine a microphone stuck in your face from the time you were 16, imagine how many stupid things you or any of us would’ve said especially in your second language….and imagine what you said would be plastered all over the internet…..good times
He's 20

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I have checked the episode and obviously the context is little bit different and does not sound as harsh. They were talking about his ambitions for next season and he said that he wants to play in AHL, no way he wants to come back to juniors. He had the same ambition last year, but he was sent back to juniors after couple games. He was frustrated with the decision and said that when he tried to create something at high speed, sometimes his linemates were not there. Which in the end is obviously correct as juniors process the game slower than AHL pros. But he was then talking to Habs management and said that even Suzuki was playing juniors at his age, so he was trying to focus on other parts of his game.
Overall, I think playing him in OHL was a bad decision for his development. He would probably progress better in Czech or some other league in Europe. I am not a big fan of Mešár and big part of that slow development lies on his shoulders, but Habs management should listen to players wishes a bit more. He wanted to continue in pro hockey and not move to juniors, but they insisted on this.

Reactions: Bombshell11

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Mesar is talking about early season stuff. When Mesar joined the Rangers, Rehkopf already had like 40 points and Mesar was put on the 2nd line while Rehkopf was on the 1st. Sale joined late in the season after he was traded for.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Egresch

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Carboneau is a HOF and had no problems throwing the whole team under the bus vs detroit.

Plenty of people through others under the bus when it was warranted

Therrien through our only superstar payer the last 30 years under the bus and was rewarded for it.

Even if it was lost in transalation Mesar is 150% right on the money, its exactly what was going on, specially in the first year.. just ask any one who saw him play, me included and who ever you value their opinion to confirm.

We should actually be very happy with these comments because its certifying us that Mesar is a leader, he knew he was playing with scrubs and despite that he decided to suck it up and do what he was told to do for a second year in a row.

Reactions: Garnet76

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Are you ready to have your argument destroyed?

Francesco Pinelli.... where is he... he had a 100 pt season, look at his ahl season.

Playoffs:
Rehkopf 10 games, 11 pts
Mesar 10 games, 16 pts

WJC:
Rehkopf 5 games, 4 pts
Mesar 5 games, 9 pts

Being too good at a thing can affect your overall results because you can't synchronise with your couterparts.

This is a sign that you're wasting someone's time and should probably put them in a different situation where they can succeed.. if you're a GM and you knowingly know someone is not a fit in a specific league and you're not trying to move them to a better league that would fit their skills you suck at your job.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Mesar is talking about early season stuff. When Mesar joined the Rangers, Rehkopf already had like 40 points and Mesar was put on the 2nd line while Rehkopf was on the 1st. Sale joined late in the season after he was traded for.
Didn't know he specified that in his interview...or did he. And watch his first 10 games. Maybe not regularly, but he has quite a few games when he's also paired with Rehkopf. Again, it's excuses. There's quite few 20 years old in this league that are able to make their teamates look better. Teamates that will never eventually make it. Somehow, for Mesar, it was detrimental to his game.

Anyway, I'm REALLY eager to see that in Laval. How he'll be able to finally show his stuff OUTSIDE of powerplays.

Reactions: Tyson

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
And if you were dissapointed with Mešár then Šalé is another level. That kid can be so disengaged and inconsistent.

Reactions: Habsrule

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Didn't know he specified that in his interview...or did he. And watch his first 10 games. Maybe not regularly, but he has quite a few games when he's also paired with Rehkopf. Again, it's excuses. There's quite few 20 years old in this league that are able to make their teamates look better. Teamates that will never eventually make it. Somehow, for Mesar, it was detrimental to his game.

Anyway, I'm REALLY eager to see that in Laval. How he'll be able to finally show his stuff OUTSIDE of powerplays.

He's not using that as an excuses, he's saying he had to adapt to his teammates and learn to manage his frustration.

The quote is great at flushing out the people in here who always hated the Mesar's pick. Took the sensationalist meaning without bothering to check the context and started pissing on the kid right away...

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

He did not play with those guys.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
The games I watched this year (only a few though) were very frustrating. Instead of playing with guys like Sale or Sop, one of Mesar's usual linemates was a tall dude with hands worst than Mike KEane! Mesar was doing all the work, dangling left and right, entering the zone and feeding Tall Dude the puck right on his stick with the net wide open only to see him send it in the stands! So yeah, he's right.... might not the pc thing to say by Mesar but I remember thinking it every game I watched !

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Are you ready to have your argument destroyed?

Francesco Pinelli.... where is he... he had a 100 pt season, look at his ahl season.

Playoffs:
Rehkopf 10 games, 11 pts
Mesar 10 games, 16 pts

WJC:
Rehkopf 5 games, 4 pts
Mesar 5 games, 9 pts

Being too good at a thing can affect your overall results because you can't synchronise with your couterparts.

This is a sign that you're wasting someone's time and should probably put them in a different situation where they can succeed.. if you're a GM and you knowingly know someone is not a fit in a specific league and you're not trying to move them to a better league that would fit their skills you suck at your job.
My argument being destroyed about being able to make your teamates better is using 1 name and not make any relations to his teamates? And using his 1st AHL year to prove what? Huh? Yep, 20-year old who have 100 points do not always make great pro players.....Geez, that,s a revelation.

Liam Greentree. This year's prospect eligible with a terrible team. Look at even Luchenko. Look at any 20 year old playing on bad teams.

There is no world where a 20 year old should need better player in the OHL to make him look good. That does not exist. At that level, he should be able to make others look better than they actually are. Not the other way around.
He did not play with those guys.
Yeah he did. And if you didn't see him the way I did with my own eyes, just watch the gamesheets.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
He's not using that as an excuses, he's saying he had to adapt to his teammates and learn to manage his frustration.

The quote is great at flushing out the people in here who always hated the Mesar's pick. Took the sensationalist meaning without bothering to check the context and started pissing on the kid right away...
Cheking the context? I did check the context. I actually WATCH the games. And yes, while he did not play right away with Rehkopf, most of the games he played with. And obviously his No1 PP time all the time.

Again, there is not a world where a 20 year old should count on others to make him look good. Not at that level. He has to do it for the others. Strangely enough, this kid also loves to slow the play down. Strange that the guys who couldn't follow weren,t able to follow even his slower pace.

By the way, didn't hate the pick from the get go. Always a fan of skills. But I just don't see a NHL'er at this point. And then you start comparing to what was taken later....

Anyway, again, we will see what he does in Laval with a coach who will be behind him. Still...he's not going to play with Bedard or McDavid. Let's hope Maillet's pace will be enough for him....if he comes back.....Or Beck. Not sure who people think we already have or will have in Laval that will be able to follow him....

And if you were dissapointed with Mešár then Šalé is another level. That kid can be so disengaged and inconsistent.
Thank god I didn't want Sale in his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad