Prospect Info: G - Ilya Nabokov - 2024 #38

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Crazy effin' stats against men at his age, a .930 save percentage in a non-junior league is nuts (.942 in the playoffs). Even though Magnitogorsk is always one of the top clubs in the KHL, this is still damn impressive. He's not tall or has the goaler height that you want, but is absurdly athletic.
Saros?

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Screenshot_20240629_143540_Instagram.jpg

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I have a pretty good relationship with his agent, who also reps Bardakov. Would expect he comes over soon.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Curious what any nay-sayers have to say about him, outside of size. I know that's important when it comes to goalies, but it shouldn't blind you completely especially with guys like Saros excelling in the league.

Based on the the stats and the quick eye test, I'm not sure what's not to love about this pick. I especially like that he's closer to NHL ready (and also therefore more of a sure thing than an 18 year old)

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Curious what any nay-sayers have to say about him, outside of size. I know that's important when it comes to goalies, but it shouldn't blind you completely especially with guys like Saros excelling in the league.

Based on the the stats and the quick eye test, I'm not sure what's not to love about this pick. I especially like that he's closer to NHL ready (and also therefore more of a sure thing than an 18 year old)
Also Shesty is 6’1” and he’s turned into a serviceable goalie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very interesting. Goes against the Avs MO of not drafting a goalie above the middle rounds. In a draft where they didn't have their head scout running things too. Someone must like his potential.

He does however fit the Avs MO trifecta of average/below average sized, athletic (I know @Gigantor The Goalie hates this term), Russian goalies though.

I like the gamble given the need for so long and his draft position.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Very interesting. Goes against the Avs MO of not drafting a goalie above the middle rounds. In a draft where they didn't have their head scout running things too. Someone must like his potential.

He does however fit the Avs MO trifecta of average/below average sized, athletic (I know @Gigantor The Goalie hates this term), Russian goalies though.

I like the gamble given the need for so long and his draft position.

Get him to the AHL asap. He's already playing against men. Fast track his development. Get him used to U.S. ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad