Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Alexander Korolyuk?
obi-wan-star-wars.gif

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Oh right, i should’ve said Smith and Ben Eager are the only truly slick-handed forwards we’ve ever had.

Actually, Labanc totally has it in him too, but I don’t know, that dude is broken, I don’t get it. He’s the most wildly inconsistent player I’ve ever watched — where he’s like a dominant star for one game and then a terrible floater for 10 after.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Viktor Kozlov had this move from the corner to the goalie's right side. He would dangle the dman, beat him with a slick move, and put the puck above the goalie's shoulder short side. It got everyone out of their seats.

Problem was he only did that about once a month...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Sharks organization has also supported a style that isn't conducive to flashy dekes and stick-skills. For example, if a player tries to force an optimistic pass, his coach gives him a look; if he fails on a creative deke then he's benched. So much of their play was making crisp passing plays with a quick finish, or the whole point shot+tip/deflection play.

Reactions: Jargon

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

How quickly we forget.

Cheech had a dope goal in that game too.

Honestly, that might be (and i've said it before here), my favorite regular season Sharks game of all time.

Look at the Sharks goals.
#1 - Marleau with a speedy beauty
#2 - Thornton passing it into the net
#3 - Thornton slapper trickles through Price, rebound swept away, back to Thronton who takes another slapper and scores.
#4 - Jody Shelley blooper slapper
#5 - Cheechoo (above)
#6 - Campbell spin-o-rama

Close game, amazing goals, Grier sightings....this game had it all. Let's not mention that both Thornton goals would probably not count today with goalie interference lol

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

Cheech had a dope goal in that game too.

Honestly, that might be (and i've said it before here), my favorite regular season Sharks game of all time.

Look at the Sharks goals.
#1 - Marleau with a speedy beauty
#2 - Thornton passing it into the net
#3 - Thornton slapper trickles through Price, rebound swept away, back to Thronton who takes another slapper and scores.
#4 - Jody Shelley blooper slapper
#5 - Cheechoo (above)
#6 - Campbell spin-o-rama

Close game, amazing goals, Grier sightings....this game had it all. Let's not mention that both Thornton goals would probably not count today with goalie interference lol

I remember that one. I think the only regular season game that tops that one is the Hertl Rooster.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Leon Gawanke. Ferraro-Gawanke should be a pairing they try, at the very least in camp. I'll die on the hill that Grier promised Gawanke an NHL spot, or at the very least, a legitimate good faith shot to win one in camp. Only way to explain his change from going to Europe (Where he had actually signed a contract) to signing with the Sharks after the Sharks traded for his RFA rights.
Disagree. Ferraro has been bad with offensively focused D-Men throughout his career. Give him someone that isn't trying to make him play like prime Vlasic to not get buried by scoring chances against. Would love to find a Justin Braun equivalent for him to move the puck but not take tons of chances on offense and risk the defensive play in the process.

Just a solid steady D-Man partner would help Ferraro's game a ton and let him use his motor and hustle to track down pucks without the high danger areas being completely opened up.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I remember following Igor on twitter a decade ago for my KHL news. Weird.

Also, this is getting just as bad as the Wilson nepotism just in a different way. Adding as many random NHLers as possible to the FO as long as they're ex-teammates because....? Seems like Grier's strategy really is quantity>quality for both players and office hires.
Except nobody has any semblance of an idea of the quality of these guys. Judging in either direction on these types of hires is dumb.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Boyle's peak (2008-2011 or so) was better than the peak of any other defenseman in teal including Burns and Karlsson. Boyle was elite offensively and defensively and he was the best PPQB.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Boyle's peak (2008-2011 or so) was better than the peak of any other defenseman in teal including Burns and Karlsson. Boyle was elite offensively and defensively and he was the best PPQB.
I love Boyle but that's pretty revisionist. Boyle never had the same impact on a game as Burns from 2015-19, and his defensive ability was not so much better as to make up the difference.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The most incorrect thing you've ever written!

I love Boyle but that's pretty revisionist. Boyle never had the same impact on a game as Burns from 2015-19, and his defensive ability was not so much better as to make up the difference.

The stats back it up. At least according to this metric, he was literally the best defenseman in the NHL from 2008-11. I don't think Burns or Karlsson has ever put up a single season where they ranked as highly defensively as Boyle did for this full three year period. While also ranking 3rd in points among defensemen behind only Lidstrom and peak Ovie era Mike Green.

My even hotter take is that I would also take peak Vlasic over peak Burns or Karlsson. You can't win Cups led by defensemen who don't play defense.

• Haha
Reactions: Gecklund

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
True, there’s no comparison between Burns and Boyle but there is no question that during his time here, Boyle was the de facto number one.
He was integral to the success for years.

Reactions: Gecklund

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
True, there’s no comparison between Burns and Boyle but there is no question that during his time here, Boyle was the de facto number one.
He was integral to the success for years.
He was the de facto #1, but he wasn't a #1 on the level of a Keith or a Hedman. If DW had actually built deep defenses that could move the puck, he would've been fine as the #1, but that's another story.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The only argument for Burns over Boyle is "points" which isn't very persuasive IMO when that had more to do with DeBoer designing an entire offensive system around him and Pavelski arguably being the best puck tipper in NHL history.

I'm just comparing their peaks here. Obviously Burns was on the team longer, enjoyed more playoff success, etc.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He was the de facto #1, but he wasn't a #1 on the level of a Keith or a Hedman. If DW had actually built deep defenses that could move the puck, he would've been fine as the #1, but that's another story.
Boyle was the #1 defenseman on the three best Sharks teams in franchise history, at least in terms of the regular season. He obviously didn't have the longevity or playoff success with us that Keith and Hedman had on their teams but his peak was on par with theirs. Just one data point but Boyle was used more than Keith on the 2010 Canadian mens gold medal winning team even though he was 33 and Keith was 26.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The only argument for Burns over Boyle is "points" which isn't very persuasive IMO when that had more to do with DeBoer designing an entire offensive system around him and Pavelski arguably being the best puck tipper in NHL history.

I'm just comparing their peaks here. Obviously Burns was on the team longer, enjoyed more playoff success, etc.

IMO, at their peaks Burns had more impact on any individual game. But you’ve made some great points. For me what you’d give up on defense between peak Burns and peak Boyle, Burns makes up for in overall offense, and “f*** it ima do it myself” ability to take over a game.

But it’s close and I could understand someone choosing differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad