Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
IMO, at their peaks Burns had more impact on any individual game. But you’ve made some great points. For me what you’d give up on defense between peak Burns and peak Boyle, Burns makes up for in overall offense, and “f*** it ima do it myself” ability to take over a game.

But it’s close and I could understand someone choosing differently.
It's ironic that his most infamous moment was probably the own goal because the one thing that still stands out to me about Boyle is how few mistakes he made with the puck. Every breakout pass was on the tape, he could lug the puck with the best of them and he knew when to pass vs. carry.

Boyle never had Burns' shot or Karlsson's creativity in the offensive zone but personally I don't value that stuff as much as the fundamentals when it comes to defensemen.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
It's ironic that his most infamous moment was probably the own goal because the one thing that still stands out to me about Boyle is how few mistakes he made with the puck. Every breakout pass was on the tape, he could lug the puck with the best of them and he knew when to pass vs. carry.

Boyle never had Burns' shot or Karlsson's creativity in the offensive zone but personally I don't value that stuff as much as the fundamentals when it comes to defensemen.

TBF Boyle didnt really make a mistake, Ryan O'Reilly tipped it in

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

IMO this was the best regular season Sharks game, unfortunately I couldnt find a video that shows Detroit scoring so it loses some of how the game really felt

Another unforgettable game from that era even though we ended up losing the shootout. 3 goals in the final 3 minutes of the 3rd period was insane.

EDIT: I had forgotten that McLellan went with 6 forwards to tie the game with the goalie pulled. Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Heatley, Couture, Clowe. That team was loaded up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: karltonian

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
To give my 2 cents, I think it's crucial for this franchise to find another Boyle to one day lift the big shiny thing. Elite Two-Way defencemen are probably the most hard to find. You need draft luck and drafting top 5 multiple years. Seeing that Boyle card that Hodge posted was so cool, I hope we can sooner rather later find that type of player for our future. I miss having a good to great d-core.

Reactions: Sandisfan

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I'd argue Karlsson's breakout passes and zone entries were better than Boyle's. But breakout passes was definitely one of my main critiques of Burns. It feels like he always put too much heat on them and none of the forwards could catch them. That or the forwards just weren't skilled enough to handle Burns' passes. :laugh:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Another unforgettable game from that era even though we ended up losing the shootout. 3 goals in the final 3 minutes of the 3rd period was insane.

EDIT: I had forgotten that McLellan went with 6 forwards to tie the game with the goalie pulled. Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Heatley, Couture, Clowe. That team was loaded up front.

Im glad you posted this because it contains a great Torrey Mitchell goal. I loved that dude. His shorty against anaheim while getting Paul Bunyan'd by Pronger is an all-time memory for me.

Also, RE: Boyle, you can't overstate how important Doug Murray was to Boyle. Murray was so good positionally and because he was so big and strong he had that extra ability to gain the line and get out of trouble (as evidenced on Boyle's goal in the Red Wings video someone posted earlier). Also, his presence absolutely protected Boyle. Like, remember in the 2019 Blues series when Schenn was taking runs at Karlsson? If that was Boyle, Murray would have ended Schenn's career.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Im glad you posted this because it contains a great Torrey Mitchell goal. I loved that dude. His shorty against anaheim while getting Paul Bunyan'd by Pronger is an all-time memory for me.

Also, RE: Boyle, you can't overstate how important Doug Murray was to Boyle. Murray was so good positionally and because he was so big and strong he had that extra ability to gain the line and get out of trouble (as evidenced on Boyle's goal in the Red Wings video someone posted earlier). Also, his presence absolutely protected Boyle. Like, remember in the 2019 Blues series when Schenn was taking runs at Karlsson? If that was Boyle, Murray would have ended Schenn's career.

Douglas Murray was an underrated passer, that's for sure.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I love all this love for Boyle in this thread. He’s easily one of my favorite Sharks players — I loved his fire, he was so competitive. The own goal is a memory but the next game he scored the first goal of the game. Dude had fire. But, to my previous point about danglers, Boyle could dangle, he could skate, he could pass, he could defend - he was a joy to watch.

Also, yeah, anyone who doesn’t remember God Mode Vlasic is kidding themselves, he neutralized the best players in the NHL every game.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

I also really enjoyed Boyle’s competitive fire. No knock on Burns, because one does not keep oneself in peak conditioning like Burns has, for as long as he has, without having a great degree of drive to do so (lol, I don’t know that I’ve approached even like half as fit as Burns is at any point in my 40 years). But Boyle, the way he battled, made the most out of the tools he had, and how he played with a chip on his shoulder, just 100% fully engaged - that was really fun to watch. I can’t think of another player the Sharks have had that I could just feel the intensity they played with like Boyle.

Anybody got any candidates?
Torres? But he was crossed the line way more than Boyle (or at least got punished more than Boyle)

Ferarro has a similar motor when in the dzone, but doesn’t have the rest of the game compare up ice.

Clowe maybe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I love all this love for Boyle in this thread. He’s easily one of my favorite Sharks players — I loved his fire, he was so competitive. The own goal is a memory but the next game he scored the first goal of the game. Dude had fire. But, to my previous point about danglers, Boyle could dangle, he could skate, he could pass, he could defend - he was a joy to watch.

Also, yeah, anyone who doesn’t remember God Mode Vlasic is kidding themselves, he neutralized the best players in the NHL every game.
Vlasic was probably the best shutdown D of the entire 2010s. There was some article someone put out around 2017 or so that talked about just how smart of a player he was at the time that I'll have to dig up.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I also really enjoyed Boyle’s competitive fire. No knock on Burns, because one does not keep oneself in peak conditioning like Burns has, for as long as he has, without having a great degree of drive to do so (lol, I don’t know that I’ve approached even like half as fit as Burns is at any point in my 40 years). But Boyle, the way he battled, made the most out of the tools he had, and how he played with a chip on his shoulder, just 100% fully engaged - that was really fun to watch. I can’t think of another player the Sharks have had that I could just feel the intensity they played with like Boyle.

Anybody got any candidates?
Torres? But he was crossed the line way more than Boyle (or at least got punished more than Boyle)

Ferarro has a similar motor when in the dzone, but doesn’t have the rest of the game compare up ice.

Clowe maybe?
I always thought it was funny that off ice he had this cool calm demeanor but LOVED thrash metal. like ear-bleeding metal music.

aside, i miss those 20 Questions locker room interviews Drew used to do

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
On a team with guys who liked to keep it cool but too relaxed, or hot and too indiscriminate, someone like Boyle was a breathe of fresh air.

Regarding Vlasic...maybe I'm being revisionist, but I wonder how much we overrate him. His rookie season was fantastic; then he was very good stapled next to Rob Blake. Then he faltered somewhat until he and Braun clicked. After they were broken up, Braun continue to play quite strongly while Vlasic fell off a cliff. No doubt he brought a lot to the table and was instrumental to the team's success, but he always needed a talented player who complemented him well.

Reactions: landshark

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
I'd argue Karlsson's breakout passes and zone entries were better than Boyle's. But breakout passes was definitely one of my main critiques of Burns. It feels like he always put too much heat on them and none of the forwards could catch them. That or the forwards just weren't skilled enough to handle Burns' passes. :laugh:
Karlsson's passes were the best of anyone ever on this team including Thornton. Burns was one-tricky as a breakout passer. All he needed was another 6'4"+ tank up at the blue line that could will himself into space with incredible hand-eye and an old school wooden stick to catch his rockets.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Vlasic being the main defencemen/veteran in SJ, how realistic would it be that he hits 35-40 points this year? Is he really done as impact player for good, or is there some fuel left it the tank now that Burns and Karlsson are out?
I think he could find another gear, because of the pride and sake of his own value and be more involved. He is not going to make this team good, but I feel like he's going to see an opportunity to strike while there is no real competition at D-core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad