GDT: 2022-23 season game 71 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @7:30pm 3/20/23

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Arty has way better chemistry with Lizotte than Kupari. Sometimes the mix just doesn't work for whatever reason. But Arty didn't have any issues with decisions in his own zone and breakouts when paired with Lizotte.
I think the problem with saying that, is that Kupari's game is in a rapid stage of development. You could've said the same thing about Grundstrom-Kupari not that long ago, and now look at them.

Lemieux-Lizotte-Kaliyev was a great line at times last year, so a small sample size of Kupari-Kaliyev can't really compare.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I think the problem with saying that, is that Kupari's game is in a rapid stage of development. You could've said the same thing about Grundstrom-Kupari not that long ago, and now look at them.

Lemieux-Lizotte-Kaliyev was a great line at times last year, so a small sample size of Kupari-Kaliyev can't really compare.
I think the deal with kaliyev is that his nhl playing time has been a small sample size

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That first half of the season was smoke & mirrors. It was at best an average team. But since the new year, especially since the deal, it's a different team. The subtraction of Quick & adding a real goalie, adding a real LHD and emergence of QB -- all of it has come together all at once and made this a real team. It's not fake any more.
I do also think that durzi was an issue -- for this team during the 1st half that is (with the weak goaltending and no Gav). Durzi, when he comes back, is less of an issue. But I think we're a better overall team without him.

At least now we have a decent PP. That makes other teams a bit more concerned with slapping us around. Come playoff time, that will be big. Last year, not only did we not stand up against them but there was no consequences resulting from our pathetic PP. If teams want to bully us this year, at least now they have to contend with going down a goal. Still, there is an overall weakness to the team. Look at the game hits by team. That's something that needs to change eventually.
From my layman POV, it looks like the Kings are executing their system with great efficiency. And that's a big difference between now, and earlier in the season, in addition to the other stuff you pointed out.

I've been so impressed with the Kings defensemen activating at the exact right time while the team still maintains coverage.

The Kings all seem to know where each other are, and more importantly where they're going to be. And each line has enough individual talent to give the opposition problems. They can also switch to a clog-it-up defensive game on a dime when they need to.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
From my layman POV, it looks like the Kings are executing their system with great efficiency. And that's a big difference between now, and earlier in the season, in addition to the other stuff you pointed out.

I've been so impressed with the Kings defensemen activating at the exact right time while the team still maintains coverage.

The Kings all seem to know where each other are, and more importantly where they're going to be. And each line has enough individual talent to give the opposition problems. They can also switch to a clog-it-up defensive game on a dime when they need to.
I have execution and confidence about 50/50.
We have all played on hockey or soccer teams where you CAN'T trust your goalie and I definitely saw some of that before Copely was brought up and then when quick was in net.

Reactions: David Lunch

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Bolded is the MAJOR change...before Dmen would activate and no one would go back to cover, now you can actively watch the wings, F3 etc, cover.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Look at the game hits by team. That's something that needs to change eventually.
Just wanted to chime in and say hits is a poor stat to gauge team toughness because it’s often lopsided in the opposite direction of the team that has the most possession. The Kings dominated the puck last night so the Flames had more opportunities to hit them.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Impressed with the play of 2 players right now. Arvy and Roy. Both underrated by this fan base IMO. Roy is a new player with Gavrikov, playing with so much more confidence. Arvy is more selective in his shots and really is a spark plug type with skill. Super happy he is on our side to mentor the kids on playing with high tempo and energy.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The second defensive pairing was RARELY the best pairing on any given game night when Durzi was playing LHD. Since Gav has come on board that pairing has routinely been the best performing and rarely poor. And that's not saying Drew and Mikey have been bad, because they haven't. It's just the 2nd pairing has been THAT good. Durzi was double-miscast. He's not a 2nd pairing quality defenseman and he's a righty playing left. Roy Gav is easily the best 2nd pairing since Voynov Mitchell.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I am? Why? Did all of the Cup winners from the last couple of years have guys like this? I think this need is being overstated. If Calgary is the tougher team, how did we beat them last night?
Edm has Hyman, bjugstad and Kane. I'd rather not have la pair up w edm in the playoffs. I hope they get that first seed so they play Winnipeg or somebody else.

Reactions: Mats26

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That's incorrect.

Grundstrom-Kupari is quantitatively better with Kaliyev than with MacEwen.

Also, with Kaliyev on the 4th line last year, they were arguably the best 4th line in the league.

Not this year. Kaliyev is flat out awful in his zone. Can't read plays, a step away from the pace every night. He has had some nice first periods in response to being scratched, but you don't need a scoring threat on the 4th line. You need reliable, consistent players who can give you 8 minutes of North/South safe play to change the pace of the game to your teams favor to set up the next, better line in an advantageous situation. Offense is a bonus, not a responsibility.

They did that all night long last night without having one guy look to peel off and be fed. Kaliyev cannot keep pucks deep on a consistent basis because he ALWAYS sacrifices work for offense. And that is perfectly fine in a different role.

Last year the Kings NEEDED offense from their 4th line because it was lacking from above. And I will add that Lizotte was the driver on that unit and Kaliyev fed off of his work on the forecheck and his underrated playmaking abilities. Kupari just doesn't offer that to Arthur, and that mish-mash of players trying different things has made the Kings 4th line a liability most nights.

Kaliyev offers a hell of a lot more than MacEwen, just not in that role. Kaliyev should be with Fiala or Vilardi, not chasing the play from behind all night long.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Just wanted to chime in and say hits is a poor stat to gauge team toughness because it’s often lopsided in the opposite direction of the team that has the most possession. The Kings dominated the puck last night so the Flames had more opportunities to hit them.

Hits are also highly subjective. After the Kings play the Flames in Calgary, check the hit totals. They tend to be more liberal with what they call a hit there.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Shocking Zadorov getting caved in, or not, because he is terrible and only attribute is “toughness”. Crazy that half the board was pining for him at one point.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Edm has Hyman, bjugstad and Kane. I'd rather not have la pair up w edm in the playoffs. I hope they get that first seed so they play Winnipeg or somebody else.
And yet they got swept by Colorado? I'm absolutely okay with pairing up against Edmonton in the playoffs. Last year we were without Doughty/Arvidsson/2023 Vilardi/2023 Byfield/no Gavrikov/goaltending issues and we still took them to 7 games!

How did Hyman, Byugstad and Kane work in intimidating Colorado?

Reactions: Lt Dan

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Puck tracker is obviously for people new to hockey. I’ve heard from a lot of people that they have trouble keeping up with the play. One of these people happened to be watching the game with me recently and said it helped them keep up. I don’t mind it in bits if it helps bring new fans in.
Puck tracker seems to only be on Power Plays , wonder if the NHL is asking for teams to use it to help new fans keep up ( puck moves much more during power plays).

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Mark it down, a week from tomorrow will be a war.
A week from now , reality will
It's pretty crazy to think about, but I've been watching the Kings since 1993-94, and this might end up being the best regular season I've ever seen from them.

in 1974-75 80 game season 42 wins 17 loses 21 ties (no OT/SO) for 105 points, if they had OT and LA was just .500 in OT they could have had a 115 point season. Best single season LA has ever had (no Dionne , no Gretzky) BoB Nevin was the leading scorer with 72 points. Ownership decided they needed a STAR to bring fans in ( Attn in 74-74 was 12,620) so we'll never know what that team could have become.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know if I said it last night or not becasue I was pretty tanked

But credit where it's due, Edler-Walker showed up and played very well, as did the 4th line. I do think I said Kupari-Grundstrom appear to have some magic so putting a bubble hockey player next to them looks pretty sharp when they're working.

prayer circle for Vilardi now

We're already doing this without our leading scorer and our PP2 QB, dont' need to lose another key piece for time.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A week from now , reality will

in 1974-75 80 game season 42 wins 17 loses 21 ties (no OT/SO) for 105 points, if they had OT and LA was just .500 in OT they could have had a 115 point season. Best single season LA has ever had (no Dionne , no Gretzky) BoB Nevin was the leading scorer with 72 points. Ownership decided they needed a STAR to bring fans in ( Attn in 74-74 was 12,620) so we'll never know what that team could have become.
Yeah, I was looking at best King's regular seasons last night, and I would say 74/75 and 90/91 are still ahead of the current season.

It's actually kind of amazing how few truly great regular seasons this franchise has had.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Yeah, I was looking at best King's regular seasons last night, and I would say 74/75 and 90/91 are still ahead of the current season.

It's actually kind of amazing how few truly great regular seasons this franchise has had.
And have never had the 1st overall pick since inception year 1967.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Yes sir.
My post said "since...1967."
I stand behind its accuracy.
The Kings have never picked first since 1967 (1968-present).
You can qualify it by saying they've never picked first in the ENTRY draft.

the 1967 draft was called something else

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad