2022/23 Roster Thread XIX: 19th Nervous Breakdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are so bad at actual player evaluation it criminal . All you are doing is repeating what Tort's says and taking that as gospel . Tort's puts guys in boxes and they are to play that style and it does not matter their skill set .

Frost has been very solid away from the puck all season and only real flaw was over handling the puck in certain areas of the ice which would get him in trouble .

Cates has been solid defensively but is an absolute disaster on the draw 7 for 22 last night again and Tort's keeps running him out to take the draw late in games in our own end . He is a F ing winger.

Allison in Ahl and his stint the NHL earlier proved he has skill and very good shot . Under Tort's right off the back he told him to dump and chase and absolutely no East West or he will be out of the league . He predetermined what he wanted out of him and the kid has zero confidence in his creating or scoring ability . Who is to blame for that ?

York is doing everything right and will develop more as he gains experience , leave him the F alone .

Laczynski might as well go F himself , when he plays it's with shit truck and there is no offense created when he is out only SMASH Hulk .

Tippet is coming along fine but Tort's has given him the keys to the empire and mins in every situation .

Tort's pisses off players , holds some players accountable and others not and manipulates to get his agenda .

ps Penciling Brink onto the roster next year is absurd . Have you actually watched him play in LV , he looks slow and the NHL is way quicker than the AHL . His ability to catch someone on a back check or to carry the puck up between the blue lines is not good at all . I'm not saying he won't eventually get there but things would have to drastically change this summer for it to be next year .
Bull. I've watched these guys for years. You could see Cates and Farabee as early as the WJC-20 show the high IQ at both ends of the ice that I've never seen from Frost. Notice Magua had him as a 2nd round pick, Farabee went #14, Frost was the same size coming out and was a better skater. What quality did Farabee have to make him a 11-20 pick? Frost needed to work on his defense, he needed to get stronger, and like a lot of CHL scorers, to work on being more consistent in his back check and playing in the D-zone. He's done that and now gets more minutes at center.

Allison is not highly skilled, he has a good shot, but not in the same league as Foerster or Tippett. He's got average speed but good size and strength, but he's a meh playmaker and doesn't see the ice that well (which is why he makes bad cross ice passes, doesn't anticipate the defender). He's best as a complementary player on a line, doing the dirty work. That's why Torts wants to focus on what he does best.

Laczynski is a shadow of the player he was before he started getting dinged, showed a little burst for a couple games, then got hurt again. If he's not 100%, he's simply not a good enough skater to be a NHL player. Marody is more skilled and he can't sniff the NHL b/c of subpar skating.

Tippett got minutes, Frost got minutes, Cates got minutes, York got minutes, they're all being pushed.
Last ten games, since the TDL
Tippett 15:21 (5x5)
Frost 14:35
Allison 14:10
Hayes 14:04
Farabee 14:00
Lemieux 13:36
Foerster 13:19
Laughton 12:55
Cates 12:51
JVR 12:09

Brink is slow b/c he's coming off hip surgery. He led the NCAA in scoring at 20 years old. Yes, he needs to get to 100% and spend the summer working on his skating. He's got the playmaking ability and vision that would make Frost a 1C. And a plus shot to boot.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Torts is an odd duck. He does things that I both like and hate. The bottom line is that he has this bunch of misfits playing competitive hockey. The product is a lot better than what AV/Yeo had put on the ice.
I’m looking forward to see his additions by subtraction over the summer. Then this fall when he has more of his type of players, what his team can do. Somewhere, somehow we’re going to need to see the base developed for a consistent offense.

Reactions: TCTC

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Torts is an odd duck. He does things that I both like and hate. The bottom line is that he has this bunch of misfits playing competitive hockey. The product is a lot better than what AV/Yeo had put on the ice.
I’m looking forward to see his additions by subtraction over the summer. Then this fall when he has more of his type of players, what his team can do. Somewhere, somehow we’re going to need to see the base developed for a consistent offense.

I’m growing to like him. Not because of his handling of the guys, or some of his strategies but I do think the start of a bit of a purge is partly due to his bluntness.

This shitshow needed to be called out, and he did that. He’s not the guy I really want building it up, but he was one that helped throw the grenade.

I do think John would be an okay guy to have a beer with. He’s got views I disagree with, approaches that would annoy me personally, but I respect him for what I said above.

I miss them being good. Hopefully he’s the first step to that, and as much as I shit on the old guard - that feisty, and physical Flyer brand I don’t want to fully lose. Ooze skill, but keep some ferocity.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Torts doesn't have them playing competitive hockey. The team is a shit show and during the fluke hot periods the players are winning games in spite of him, not because of him.

This unearned praise is just like when people said the same bullshit about AV back when most of this board was in denial.

He literally hasn't done one single impactful thing worthy of praise and he's embarrassed himself quite a few times. He's another problem, not a solution.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The team I want to see is I think the team Torts/Briere want to build.
Fast, physical on the forecheck to separate the puck, not to head hunt, disciplined, high motor, tenacious.
The kind of team that hounds the opposition puck carrier all 200 ft.
The kind of team that wins puck battles at both ends of the ice.

That is, what we're seeing now with a lot more skill.

I have no problem with smurfs or skill players as long as they back check and play defense, I don't want to see prima donna skill players lollygagging on the back check, half ass defense, and cherry picking to pad their stats. Play as hard off the puck as with the puck.

And I want to see a team that plays smart, knows when not to retaliate, understands angles and positioning, anticipates plays and doesn't take a lot of stupid penalties.

Reactions: renberg

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Anyone buying in to the Tortorella hype and expecting change is setting themselves up for further disappointment. I look forward to having these same conversations with you all in a few years.

Comcast-Spectacor is riding the coattails of the City of Philadelphia - and specificall the Eagles -- "underdog" story and using these pieces simply as the pawns to mimic that rallying cry. Tortorella is the hard-nosed tough guy who isnt afraid to say what he means (despite being fed every line from those above him), and "works hard" to back it up. He's 'tough' on (Read: an asshole to) his players and drives "accountability" (on some players, but not certainly not all). Briere is the former player (cause you HAVE to be a former player to be a good general manager) who was the under-sized clutch player who had the skill to be flashy, but also wasnt afraid to be dirty because that's what he had to do to get to the top. He'll placate the "we need skill" people because thats what they associate him with.

The Flyers being run by the old guard is probably one of the worst kept secrets in hockey, second only maybe to the idea that Lamoriello is actually dead and his corpse is being re-animated through unnatural means to make him look like a functional human. If he didn't know the Flyers were Clarke et all's play thing before he got here, hes dumber than he looks. Him calling that out isnt "revolutionary" by any means. We've all talked about it for years. It's a line hes being told to say to endear himself to the "new" fans, by the people pulling the strings, to attempt to shift the blame to whatever sacrificial lambs they offer up this summer from that old dinosaur advisor crew. Do you really think a guy with such a dinosaur mindset who talks about ending the career of a kid because he did the Michigan is going to willfully speak out against hockey royalty? He's every bit as engrained in the HockeyGuy culture as they are and he knows that isnt a line to cross. Unfortunately for us, he's finally learning how to adapt (in some capacity) past that -- likely out of self-preservation, because he knows the Flyers are the only team archaic enough to think his boring, monotonous brand of hockey still has a prayer of succeeding in a modern NHL.

If you're buying this Tortorella-Briere bill of goods as anything other than a marketing scheme (remind me -- who is the CEO of Spectacor again? Oh, right -- the marketing guru!) but expecting different results -- i'm going to enjoy the look on your face when you see what gets delivered.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Guys that I would like to see gone next year .
#1 JVR , and he will be cause of contract over
#2 Hayes , he is to slow for the modern game
#3 TDA , his net negative affect on this team far out weight his positive
#4 Atkinson , his age does not fit the teams timeline and his injuries the last couple years combined with his contract concerns me .
#5 Shit Truck , no part of him deserves to be here but we all know it will be . He plays 8 mins a night and that includes pk time . He has no skill and ties up 1.75 mil , no purpose .
1) dont be shocked if jvr is back 1 year 3m lw stink in this org right now.
2) Hayes is the key trade. Most important move of the offseason.
3) ada will get a 5th at deadline. rip whoever ada is paired with
4) untradable
5) how many 2's will u add? I am serious, sadly.

Anyone buying in to the Tortorella hype and expecting change is setting themselves up for further disappointment. I look forward to having these same conversations with you all in a few years.

Comcast-Spectacor is riding the coattails of the City of Philadelphia - and specificall the Eagles -- "underdog" story and using these pieces simply as the pawns to mimic that rallying cry. Tortorella is the hard-nosed tough guy who isnt afraid to say what he means (despite being fed every line from those above him), and "works hard" to back it up. He's 'tough' on (Read: an asshole to) his players and drives "accountability" (on some players, but not certainly not all). Briere is the former player (cause you HAVE to be a former player to be a good general manager) who was the under-sized clutch player who had the skill to be flashy, but also wasnt afraid to be dirty because that's what he had to do to get to the top. He'll placate the "we need skill" people because thats what they associate him with.

The Flyers being run by the old guard is probably one of the worst kept secrets in hockey, second only maybe to the idea that Lamoriello is actually dead and his corpse is being re-animated through unnatural means to make him look like a functional human. If he didn't know the Flyers were Clarke et all's play thing before he got here, hes dumber than he looks. Him calling that out isnt "revolutionary" by any means. We've all talked about it for years. It's a line hes being told to say to endear himself to the "new" fans, by the people pulling the strings, to attempt to shift the blame to whatever sacrificial lambs they offer up this summer from that old dinosaur advisor crew. Do you really think a guy with such a dinosaur mindset who talks about ending the career of a kid because he did the Michigan is going to willfully speak out against hockey royalty? He's every bit as engrained in the HockeyGuy culture as they are and he knows that isnt a line to cross. Unfortunately for us, he's finally learning how to adapt (in some capacity) past that -- likely out of self-preservation, because he knows the Flyers are the only team archaic enough to think his boring, monotonous brand of hockey still has a prayer of succeeding in a modern NHL.

If you're buying this Tortorella-Briere bill of goods as anything other than a marketing scheme (remind me -- who is the CEO of Spectacor again? Oh, right -- the marketing guru!) but expecting different results -- i'm going to enjoy the look on your face when you see what gets delivered.
But next year when flyers start 5-4-1 and Hart is playing out of his mind, for sure this time it will stick.

Too many fans are gullible Charlie Brown thinking this time the flyers will kick the ball.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Every year we have this discussion. I want them to get faster. I want them to play physical. I don’t want to lose the team identity. I think Daddy Ron Chuck Danny sees it exactly the way I do!

And every year, my response is that they haven’t even proven they can prioritize getting and developing good players over fit and finish. Just get good players instead of walking cliches. Don’t create room or establish a culture. Just get good players. No excuses.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Every year we have this discussion. I want them to get faster. I want them to play physical. I don’t want to lose the team identity. I think Daddy Ron Chuck Danny sees it exactly the way I do!

And every year, my response is that they haven’t even proven they can prioritize getting and developing good players over fit and finish. Just get good players instead of walking cliches. Don’t create room or establish a culture. Just get good players. No excuses.

Every yesr as we have this discussion, I'm reminded of the Bruins- Tyler Seguin video and I can't help but laugh.

Then I remember the Bruins, despite that, are a markedly better run franchise than the Flyers.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

“We can’t sign Panarin, he’s a winger and we need a center or defensemen”

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m growing to like him. Not because of his handling of the guys, or some of his strategies but I do think the start of a bit of a purge is partly due to his bluntness.

This shitshow needed to be called out, and he did that. He’s not the guy I really want building it up, but he was one that helped throw the grenade.

I do think John would be an okay guy to have a beer with. He’s got views I disagree with, approaches that would annoy me personally, but I respect him for what I said above.

I miss them being good. Hopefully he’s the first step to that, and as much as I shit on the old guard - that feisty, and physical Flyer brand I don’t want to fully lose. Ooze skill, but keep some ferocity.

The problem is that if they're willing to purge because of his views, they'd be willing to hire for those views too. And that's a nightmare. We are five years away from being a decade away.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts doesn't have them playing competitive hockey. The team is a shit show and during the fluke hot periods the players are winning games in spite of him, not because of him.

This unearned praise is just like when people said the same bullshit about AV back when most of this board was in denial.

He literally hasn't done one single impactful thing worthy of praise and he's embarrassed himself quite a few times. He's another problem, not a solution.

Both hot periods have featured the team scoring goals in ways Tortorella is actively trying to stop. He even openly said so.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The team I want to see is I think the team Torts/Briere want to build.
Fast, physical on the forecheck to separate the puck, not to head hunt, disciplined, high motor, tenacious.
The kind of team that hounds the opposition puck carrier all 200 ft.
The kind of team that wins puck battles at both ends of the ice.

That is, what we're seeing now with a lot more skill.

I have no problem with smurfs or skill players as long as they back check and play defense, I don't want to see prima donna skill players lollygagging on the back check, half ass defense, and cherry picking to pad their stats. Play as hard off the puck as with the puck.

And I want to see a team that plays smart, knows when not to retaliate, understands angles and positioning, anticipates plays and doesn't take a lot of stupid penalties.

You need a team that scores. Not a team from 2012.

Tortorella will give you an anti-skill, anti-offense team. That is what you want? Or is it nothing but grinding effort? Because teams don't win Cups on effort alone. There's a reason Tortorella hasn't done a damned thing since the end of the DPE era, and his next rebirth was in a mini-DPE which is long over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad