Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The depth is only "insane" on defense. There are only 5 forwards in the ranking and I doubt that more than 1-2 of them make any impact in the NHL...and none of them will be top six forwards. That hurts the ranking quite a bit IMO and I'm sure that is why Wheeler has them where he does.

Again, this this draft will help that, especially if we land a Top 3 pick. Heck, even Top 5 would help that. We also have 3 second round picks, two 3rd round picks as well, and that is not even counting what Verbeek sells off this TDL to gain more picks. Should hopefully get another 1st round. It's a very deep draft for forwards this year.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Again, this this draft will help that, especially if we land a Top 3 pick. Heck, even Top 5 would help that. We also have 3 second round picks, two 3rd round picks as well, and that is not even counting what Verbeek sells off this TDL to gain more picks. Should hopefully get another 1st round. It's a very deep draft for forwards this year.
I don't disagree (assuming they make decent picks) but the ranking is only based on who is in the system today.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't disagree (assuming they make decent picks) but the ranking is only based on who is in the system today.

Oh yeah no doubt, I think McTavish graduating really hurt the ranking, and that's fine. I see this draft as an opportunity to really fill that pool again, and this is a great draft to fill that forward portion of the prospect pool. Hopefully it starts with a Top 3 pick.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do we see Regenda spending next season mostly with the Gulls?

Like to see Regenda and Groulx get a call up this season, especially if we are selling players off at the TDL. Both seem to be producing on a horrible Gulls team....sounds all too familiar. lol.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Do we see Regenda spending next season mostly with the Gulls?
Thought about this yesterday. I think it depends on what happens with Jones, Comtois, and potentially Henrique & Silfverberg.

I'm not in love with the idea of him in the 4th line with the Ducks, but that might be where he ends up if there isn't much turnover on the wing before next season.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It’s as deep as ever. It doesn’t have the headline forward like it did with McTavish or Zegras before him, but depth is insane.

I’m not saying they should be #1, but the Kings pool is not good especially since Byfield and Kaliyev have graduated.
Yeah LA used to have a insanely good prospect pool but things have gone sideways of it with players not progressing as expected, some traded away and some graduating. Turcotte i think they are hoping to get a 3C out of him because it doesn't look good. Byfield not trending that well either.

#3 overall pick in 2021 (McTavish) is already progressing much better than #2 overall pick in 2020 (Byfield) and the questions about Byfields hockey IQ are there.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This draft should hopefully refill that pool , especially if they can land a Top 3 pick and another 1st round. They fell because McTavish was removed from that list.

If we're only looking at the scope of this article, maybe selecting Snuggerud or Kulich over Gaucher could have bumped up the ranking some. Snuggerud is St. Louis' #1 prospect. Kulich is in Buffalo's system. If we land a top-4 pick at this year's draft, then I don't care about missing out on Snuggerud or Kulich as much.

Wheeler's snippet on Gaucher:
He can lack touch though (he bobbles pucks and his hands can look rigid), I wonder if his advantages will be muted up levels, and his statistical profile has always been good without being great. All told, I think he becomes a solid bottom-six forward (he can play centre and wing), and maybe even a really good third-line one.

I'm just surprised that Wheeler ranked him #3 considering the projections he had on #4 Luneau trend as a 2nd pairing D, #5 Thrun as a 4/5 D, and #6 Pastujov receiving so much praise.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well... not sure about the LAK position, but for us, the pool is not as deep as it used to be. We have no forwards, the defensemen we have has a lot to prove in a two-way game, for some we have to hope we get them signed, etc.

We have some decent prospects, but this is not an invincible prospect crop either. Some of them are years away.

We have a deep pool of above average prospects, but we no longer have that superstar potential this year. That's impressive to still rank in the top-10.

If we land Bedard in the draft, he won't be on the 2024 prospect pool list because he'll be an NHL regular. Are you going to bash the 2024 pool for not having a top-6 forward pick in the system?

::: The Lord of the Rings version :::
:popcorn: read at your own risk
:popcorn:

Just going by this list, we dropped from 5th last year to 8th this year. What we lost this year is top tier talent with McTavish not included as well as both Perreault and Tracey's stock dropping. Without any potential high end top-6 forward on the horizon in our pool, we only dropped 3 spots in Wheeler's rankings. A significant part of the staying up high in the Prospect Pool ranking are the additions of four 2022 draft picks in D Minty, C Gaucher, D Luneau, and D Warren.
Wheeler​
Prospect​
Pool​
Ranking​
Comparison​
2022​
Ranking​
2023​
Ranking​
Rank​
Player​
Pos​
.​
Rank​
Player​
Pos​
1​
McTavish​
C​
1​
Mintyukov​
LD​
2022 Draft​
2​
Perreault​
RW​
2​
Zellweger​
LD​
3​
Pastujov​
RW/LW​
3​
Gaucher​
C​
2022 Draft​
4​
Zellweger​
LD​
4​
Luneau​
RD​
2022 Draft​
5​
Dostal​
G​
5​
Thrun​
LD​
6​
Thrun​
LD​
6​
Pastujov​
RW/LW​
7​
Tracey​
LW​
7​
LaCombe​
LD​
8​
Elvenes​
LW​
8​
Dostal​
G​
9​
Colangelo​
RW​
9​
Perreault​
RW/LW​
10​
Groulx​
C​
10​
Tracey​
LW​
11​
LaCombe​
LD​
11​
Hinds​
LD​
12​
Moore​
LD​
12​
Warren​
LD​
2022 Draft​
13​
McLaughlin​
LW​
13​
Colangelo​
RW/LW​
14​
Tschigerl​
LW​
14​
Clang​
G​
15​
Galimov​
C/LW​
15​
Moore​
RD​
16​
Lopina​
C​
HM​
King​
C​
2022 Draft​
17​
Kindopp​
RW​
HM​
Helleson​
RD​
18​
Alexander​
G​
HM​
Hvidston​
LW​
2022 Draft​
19​
Hinds​
LD​
HM​
Tshigerl​
LW​
20​
Andersson​
RD​
HM​
Kukkonen​
C​
HM = Honorable Mention

You add the factor of our 2019 college D-men not yet signed for this pool, but they have not not signed either. Our pool ranking does have a surplus of D-men to mitigate the potential loss of the D-men. Because of the Verbeekining, we added extra picks last year that became C Gaucher and RD Luneau. This draft, we already secured an additional two 2nd round picks and an extra 3rd round pick. There will be more added by the time the TDL has come and gone.

Although you point out correctly that we don't have a high-end, top-6 forward in this year's pool, you neglect two items: graduated prospects and potential 2023 top-4 prospect. Zegras (21) and McTavish (19) both qualify in age for the pool. Since they're NHL regulars now as 1C and 2C, they are excluded from this pool ranking. Landing a top-4 pick in this year draft is similar landing a #1 pick, especially when compared to the 2022 draft. This means four of our top-6 forwards will be set for a decade.

If we land Bedard in the draft, he won't be on the 2024 prospect pool list because he'll be an NHL regular. Are you going to bash the 2024 pool for not having a top-6 forward pick in the system?

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Ducks are 8th. Honestly think that is trash. No way the Kings should be ahead of the Ducks.
If MacT is graduated, I kind of get it. The under 25 rankings is much more indicative of where a franchise is for the future than strictly prospects. 8th seems ipretty good considering we're not counting Z, McT, Drysdale and Terry, huge pieces of the future. The Dostal thing is weird though.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
8th seems ipretty good considering we're not counting Z, McT, Drysdale and Terry, huge pieces of the future. The Dostal thing is weird though.
Very few of the people doing the rankings give much respect to Dostal. He is just considered too short for a modern NHL goalie, so he immediately gets downgraded. You would think the fact that he has played this year on two terrible teams, the Ducks and the Gulls, and has reasonable results would count for something. But performance doesn't count when he is not an ideal size.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It feels like we’ve been high on most of these prospect rankings the last few years and yet it doesn’t seem like we’ve made a ton of progress.

giphy.gif

• Prospects who have graduated
    • Terry is a 2x All-star. Age 25
    • Zegras is a budding offensive superstar. Age 21
    • Lundy is a set 3C who can fill in as a top-6 center. Age 22
    • Drysdale is already in the NHL. Age 20.
    • McTavish is a top-6 center. Age 19.

It's a testament of our draft team that we're ranked high often. Three of the top-4 in this ranking are from the 2022 draft class.

The youth group is leading the way at the NHL level, but we're lacking talented support outside of the youth since last year's TDL.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I read the article earlier today and agree what a few of you have said. Gaucher is ranked too high based on his projection. 8th is still pretty good after losing a top 3 prospect like McTavish. Ducks are pretty solid with young forwards on the team with Zegras, Mctavish, and Lundestrom, but could use a high end winger prospect, especially on the left side. Would've liked to see the rankings at the start of the season and then do a TDL updated rankings.

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
My instinct is to mirror most people's skepticism about Gaucher but that ignores the seemingly universal praise for this kid. Not just amongst the prospect rankers that we don't like, but everywhere, including other teams' scouts and opposing coaches. There's zero sentiment out there that he was a reach in the first round, or that he only brings value to a team lacking size or prospect depth or something.

I know he was pretty unimpressive at the WJCs but McTavish was pretty bland everywhere outside of juniors, too, until he wasn't.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
My instinct is to mirror most people's skepticism about Gaucher but that ignores the seemingly universal praise for this kid. Not just amongst the prospect rankers that we don't like, but everywhere, including other teams' scouts and opposing coaches. There's zero sentiment out there that he was a reach in the first round, or that he only brings value to a team lacking size or prospect depth or something.

I know he was pretty unimpressive at the WJCs but McTavish was pretty bland everywhere outside of juniors, too, until he wasn't.
Gaucher is a character player that coaches will love. He'll make the NHL as a bottom six player. We'll start to see next year if his offense can translate at the pro level. I don't think it will but we'll see. He was one of the oldest players in the 22 draft and in his 4th year of juniors this year he is barely at a PPG in the Quebec league. Very little offensive progression over his last 3 years in junior hockey. That's scary.

As for McTavish, I'm not sure what you are looking at. He was a stand-out against men in Europe in his draft year and then came back in his D+1 year and blew up the OHL and Memorial Cup. Not sure what more he could have done.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
the guys who made us so high in those rankings are still super early into their NHL careers and a good chunk of them aren't even in the NHL yet, it's gonna take a little time
Yes this is true. I think the lack of contributions on our current roster from drafts 2012-2017 has affected our progress as well.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man

We can use a player like Gaucher on this team 1000%, part of it for me is that the wingers in our system could be more high end and the guy picked right behind him appearing to be ideal. Still happy with how Gaucher will fit - he'll be a versatile player in our lineup.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s as deep as ever. It doesn’t have the headline forward like it did with McTavish or Zegras before him, but depth is insane.

I’m not saying they should be #1, but the Kings pool is not good especially since Byfield and Kaliyev have graduated.
Well he had byfield still as a king prospect(they got 7th)…. I imagine that was the difference maker between the 2 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad