Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
But is this purely based on Michkov as a hockey player and not accounting for his unique situation?

Most analyses I've read seem to indicate that talent-wise Michkov is the only one who can rival Bedard, but is ranked lower precisely because of the...murky situation going around him.

Two years ago, Raty was supposed to vie for 1st overall and then dropped. Last year, Lambert was supposed to be first overall because he was amazing since age 15 and the dropped. A lot of Raty's skills returned to him. Lambert is still trying to rediscover his skills.

If it was a murky situation, then why would Central Scouting rank any Russians? CS has three Russians in their top-11. CS doesn't sign players, they just scout and rank them. Teams are the ones who worry about outside influences like contract obligations and murky situations.

The reports I've read didn't factor the conflict as to why Michkov dropped. There were actual reasoning behind it such as bad habits on ice and reverting to playing the perimeter game. That actually is backed up when SKA loaned Michkov to Sochi. Why would SKA loan Michkov away when Michkov was supposed to take the next step forward?

Michkov, KHL
2021-22: SKA with 13 games, 2g + 3a = 5 points, and +2 rating​
2022-23: SKA with 3 games, 0g + 0a = 0 points, and 0 rating​
................... Sochi with 14 games, 4g + 2a = 6 points, and -4 rating​

========
Also, I don't think Fantilli and Carlsson are getting their dues for their great play that have elevated them past Michkov.

Fantilli
2021-22, USHL: 54 games, 37g + 37a = 74 pts, and +13 rating (playoff MVP)​
2022-23, NCAA: 20 games, 14g + 19a = 33 pts, and +12 rating (leading team in scoring, 6th overall in NCAA)​

Carlsson, SHL
2021-22: 35 games, 3g + 6a = 9 pts, and +1 rating​
2022-23: 30 games, 5g + 12a = 17 pts, and -7 rating​

Carlsson almost doubled his scoring in fewer games played in the SHL.

========

Not all rankings had Michkov going 2nd. THN's Future Watch 2022 had the following projected 2023 top-10:
1. Bedard ✅
2. Fantilli ✅
3. Michkov ✅
4. Dvorsky​
5. Yager​
6. Ritchie​
7. Stramel​
8. Carlsson ✅
9. Musty​
10. Lindstein​

========
Bedard is tearing up his league for the past two seasons:

2021-22: 62 games, 51g + 49a = 100 pts, and +0 rating​
2022-23: 33 games, 39g + 42a = 81 pts, and +26 rating​

Bedard took his game to another level. Michkov hasn't, but Michkov did have the skills like Bedard did years ago. We aren't comparing years ago today.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Michkov would also be a better pick if we were at the start of the rebuild. A team that's going to start their 5 year rebuild might be willing to pay a boat load to deal for him since he's likely better than anyone they will get in the next few years. Ducks are (or rather should be) a few years through their rebuild and drafting Michkov is basically not adding to the rebuild short term. Hopefully the Ducks draft top 3 (ideally #1) so we don't have to worry about it.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Michkov would also be a better pick if we were at the start of the rebuild. A team that's going to start their 5 year rebuild might be willing to pay a boat load to deal for him since he's likely better than anyone they will get in the next few years. Ducks are (or rather should be) a few years through their rebuild and drafting Michkov is basically not adding to the rebuild short term. Hopefully the Ducks draft top 3 (ideally #1) so we don't have to worry about it.
We are basically at the start of a rebuild. Almost every bad team has some young promising players. We won't be seriously competing for at least 3 more years. Our roster construction is terrible and we have huge holes with nobody insight to fill them... like the ones Lindholm and Manson left. Plus many more.

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
We are basically at the start of a rebuild. Almost every bad team has some young promising players. We won't be seriously competing for at least 3 more years. Our roster construction is terrible and we have huge holes with nobody insight to fill them... like the ones Lindholm and Manson left. Plus many more.
True, but hasn't Verbeek talked about competing sooner than that? It's all about how he sees it. If he feels he can construct a competing roster (competing for playoffs, not Cup) quicker than that, he may want a guy who'll be here in 1-2 years. At that point, risking it on Michkov is probably worth it, if he's significantly better than anyone else in that range you take that risk. That's also another cost controlled player when the team is ready to compete (assuming he comes over).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
All these responses just reinforce the predicament of picking 4th...which, of course, is why the Ducks will be picking 4th.

There is a clear top 4 talent-wise so any team picking 4th has to weigh taking the Russian versus passing on him for a player who is less risky but also less talented.
Agreed…. I still like smith and benson, I feel like teams passing on michkov prob loses long term…. But still getting a really good player.

I think michkov is 2nd best talent in draft… 4th is earliest I’d take him tho

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I think Michkov is living on his reputation from before this season. He really hasn’t been great this year. Add on the baggage and contract and it is a no brainer for the 3 guys ahead of him.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Michkov is living on his reputation from before this season. He really hasn’t been great this year. Add on the baggage and contract and it is a no brainer for the 3 guys ahead of him.
No argument from most about the top 3 but who do you take if you are picking 4th???

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Well that's not true at all. If he was Canadian he would be vying for #1 overall.

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Well that's not true at all. If he was Canadian he would be vying for #1 overall.
I honestly don’t know how you can say that. Statistically he has not improved. It’s basically the same as Shane Wright. He was lights out in international play but his regular season stats have not improved from last year.

Compare that the the other 3, Bedard is doing some all time shit both in the WHL and WJC, Fantilli’s physical gifts as well as the best NCAA freshman season since Eichel, and Carlsson is showing huge improvement also playing against men.

What has Michkov done this season that shows his improvement from last season?

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I honestly don’t know how you can say that. Statistically he has not improved. It’s basically the same as Shane Wright. He was lights out in international play but his regular season stats have not improved from last year.

Compare that the the other 3, Bedard is doing some all time shit both in the WHL and WJC, Fantilli’s physical gifts as well as the best NCAA freshman season since Eichel, and Carlsson is showing huge improvement also playing against men.

What has Michkov done this season that shows his improvement from last season?
Stats seem fine for his age....
Michkov-KHL.jpg

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Those stats are just 100% wrong/outdated. He has 6 points in 17 KHL games this year.
He had 5 points in 13 KHL games last year.

Michkov has gone cold scoring in the past four games, games 11 - 14 with Sochi.

While I was looking up Michkov's stats with Sochi, I found Kodie Curran playing in the KHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Has the speed, the smarts, and the hands. Whenever he gets enough muscle, this dude will play in the NHL the question remains how good he can be. I see a top6 forward if all goes well.

Remember, he's young like Zellweger. If Hvidston's birthday was like a week later or so, then he'd be in the 2023 draft. He's already surpassed his point total from the previous year by over 24+ games.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad