Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That's why I wanted to take a chance on F Snuggerud or C Kulich at 22nd overall. Both have top-6 scoring potential over Gaucher, but we went safe. Looking back, it does make one cringe to miss on Snuggerud or Kulich.

OTOH, we're going to end up with a top-4 pick, where it's all about the forwards. Bedard goes to the NHL next season. Fantilli and Carlsson will probably do a one-and-done with their respective leagues. Michkov will be four years away.

Our forward corps is further established in the NHL than our defensive prospects. Pronman's U23 top prospects has Zegras 7th overall and McTavish 12th overall. Anaheim is the only team who has two "forward" prospects in the top-15. Our center position looks like it can be set for more than a decade.

Forwards at NHL: C Zegras, RW Terry, C McTavish, and C Lundy (LW/RW Regenda did play in the NHL.)

Defense at the NHL: Benoit and Drysdale
No it doesn't, they haven't done squat. I really don't understand why people are so negative about Gaucher

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
No it doesn't, they haven't done squat. I really don't understand why people are so negative about Gaucher

=== Gaucher, Snuggerud, and Kulich, oh my! ===

Gaucher is a safe pick as a bottom-6. Snuggerud and Kulich have top-6 scoring potential. While it is cringe to miss out on them, it doesn't matter if we land one of the top-4 picks in this year's draft. With a top-4 of Terry, Z, McTavish and 2023 top-4 pick, having Gaucher in the system as a bottom-6 is a good thing.

If we weren't set on a top-4 draft pick, then we're lacking top-6 scoring if Tracey, Perreault, and Pastujov don't pan out.

CompareRegSeason
PlayerLeagueGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/MinusTeam score RankLeague score Rank
GaucherCHL
30​
16​
17​
33​
1.10​
27​
5th61st
SnuggerudNCAA
26​
13​
18​
31​
1.19​
16​
1st9th
KulichAHL
29​
7​
10​
17​
0.59​
-4​
9th221st

- Kulich ranks 1st as a drafted U19 in the AHL.
- Snuggerud is tied with 2022 3rd overall Cooley in scoring in the NCAA.

Please note that Snuggerud and Kulich are playing in a more difficult league than Gaucher.

CompareWJC-20
PlayerLeagueGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/MinusWJC score Rank
GaucherWJC-20
7​
1​
3​
4​
0.57​
1​
39th
SnuggerudWJC-20
7​
5​
8​
13​
1.86​
5​
3rd
KulichWJC-20
7​
7​
2​
9​
1.29​
10​
11th

Now, let's compare their production on the same level.

There's nothing wrong with Gaucher. He's a safe bet to make the NHL. At this moment, Snuggerud and Kulich present a better potential top-6 option while doing it at higher level of competitions.

=== Gaucher v Groulx ===

Gaucherv Groulx
ProspectSeasonYearLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG.Plus/Minus
GroulxD + 02017-18QMJHL
68​
28​
27​
55​
0.81​
9​
GaucherD + 02021-22QMJHL
66​
31​
26​
57​
0.86​
30​
ProspectSeasonYearLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG.Plus/Minus
GroulxD + 12018-19QMJHL
65​
31​
49​
80​
1.23​
37​
GaucherD + 12022-23QMJHL
30​
16​
17​
33​
1.10​
27​

Gaucher is a lil' taller, lil' straight line skater faster Groulx. I figure this would be relevant to give perspective.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
if I remember correctly CapFriendly put out a tweet saying that Thrun’s signing window on their site is incorrect and that they can’t fix it as it runs a formula that got messed up by his league shifting due to Covid.
This make me chuckle as someone in the software industry.

The could fix it, very easily. It would just require some dev work I’m sure they don’t want to pay for.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Warren is 2+2 in his last 5 games to move his point pace closer to 0.5 PPG this year. It's still underwhelming of where I was expecting him, but he is getting better – I wonder how much the injury to starting the year was holding him back. When I watch Gatineau it feels like he is still not getting much ice time tho, though I wonder what's the deal with that. But he's a big guy that is already using his frame in a good way and moving quite well, IMO.

Luneau has looked very well there, plays a lot, and has some dominant shifts where he takes the ice over. He moves with confidence (idk how else to explain it), and he seems smart and with a good shot. He's not small as well which is a plus :laugh: I think he has #3 upside.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Warren is 2+2 in his last 5 games to move his point pace closer to 0.5 PPG this year. It's still underwhelming of where I was expecting him, but he is getting better – I wonder how much the injury to starting the year was holding him back. When I watch Gatineau it feels like he is still not getting much ice time tho, though I wonder what's the deal with that. But he's a big guy that is already using his frame in a good way and moving quite well, IMO.

Luneau has looked very well there, plays a lot, and has some dominant shifts where he takes the ice over. He moves with confidence (idk how else to explain it), and he seems smart and with a good shot. He's not small as well which is a plus :laugh: I think he has #3 upside.

I never expected Warren to have a high octane offense. I see him as a shutdown D with a booming blast from the point. His injury might be holding him back defensively, though. Warren might be a longer project because when he plays at the AHL level, then he might not be able to utilize his body like he did in the younger, smaller CHL competition.

Luneau had a first round rating by CSB NA, but Luneau's injury and surgery dropped him into the late 2nd round. His skating concerns mattered at the draft and his explosiveness still wasn't present at our rookie tourney and training camp. I'm glad to hear about his movement, but did you notice his explosiveness in his skating?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I never expected Warren to have a high octane offense. I see him as a shutdown D with a booming blast from the point. His injury might be holding him back defensively, though. Warren might be a longer project because when he plays at the AHL level, then he might not be able to utilize his body like he did in the younger, smaller CHL competition.

Luneau had a first round rating by CSB NA, but Luneau's injury and surgery dropped him into the late 2nd round. His skating concerns mattered at the draft and his explosiveness still wasn't present at our rookie tourney and training camp. I'm glad to hear about his movement, but did you notice his explosiveness in his skating?
The explosiveness felt like sometimes was there, but sometimes it feels like the lack of it is holding him back from a really really impressive showing. But to me (I honestly haven't watched THAT much of Gatineau) I have an impression that his skating is improving compared to where it was at the start of the year. There was shifts when I thought ''whoa, who is this dude, he is out there with a purpose and about to take this game over'' and it turned out to be Luneau. Then again, some shifts were where I felt he was not moving that much but still making smart plays.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The explosiveness felt like sometimes was there, but sometimes it feels like the lack of it is holding him back from a really really impressive showing. But to me (I honestly haven't watched THAT much of Gatineau) I have an impression that his skating is improving compared to where it was at the start of the year. There was shifts when I thought ''whoa, who is this dude, he is out there with a purpose and about to take this game over'' and it turned out to be Luneau. Then again, some shifts were where I felt he was not moving that much but still making smart plays.

That's positive. We don't have to rush Luneau because of several D-prospects potentially coming over next year to the pros (LaCombe, Thurn, Zellweger, Hinds, and Mintyukov). Luneau can continue to develop his skating so that explosiveness becomes consistent in the safer confines of the CHL.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Im no where near as excited about warren as some people here.

I feel the same way about this pick as i do the Gaucher pick... would have rather gone Hutson, Kyrou, Luneanu, casey or Havalid, as i think all of those guys have more upside. I feel like Warrens upside is a 6/7 guy. I dont love the pick, but i kinda understand what your going for(same as gaucher)

Love the Luneau pick tho, hes just got such a clean game... hoping he can pan out for us... i agree he has #3 upside.

Reactions: Boo Boo

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

I feel the same way about this pick as i do the Gaucher pick... would have rather gone Hutson, Kyrou, Luneanu, casey or Havalid, as i think all of those guys have more upside. I feel like Warrens upside is a 6/7 guy. I dont love the pick, but i kinda understand what your going for(same as gaucher)

Love the Luneau pick tho, hes just got such a clean game... hoping he can pan out for us... i agree he has #3 upside.

Hutson could be a really good player, but with how easy our defense is to push over not sure I’d feel super confident about having both him and Zell be the reinforcements

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

If Warren had been picked in the 1st round I would agree with you but in the 2nd round he went about where he should have gone. I see Warren as a 2nd pairing guy who will do all the dirty work of playing D allowing his partner to drive the play.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If Warren had been picked in the 1st round I would agree with you but in the 2nd round he went about where he should have gone. I see Warren as a 2nd pairing guy who will do all the dirty work of playing D allowing his partner to drive the play.
He’s def got athleticism and a physical side to his game…. I think he’s def a project on the hockey aspects of his game tho.

So like Manson upside, you’d say?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He’s def got athleticism and a physical side to his game…. I think he’s def a project on the hockey aspects of his game tho.

So like Manson upside, you’d say?
I haven't seen enough of Warren to offer a comparable but I think his skating and physical game are impressive to complement his size. If he blossoms offensively (to some degree) that will be a bonus IMO. The key question for me is his hockey IQ and how well he'll be able to process the game at the NHL level.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I haven't seen enough of Warren to offer a comparable but I think his skating and physical game are impressive to complement his size. If he blossoms offensively (to some degree) that will be a bonus IMO. The key question for me is his hockey IQ and how well he'll be able to process the game at the NHL level.
ya that’s fair, that’s basically where my concerns lie.

He’s got great raw stats and athleticism, the stuff you can’t really teach… just kinda curious to see how he can put it together with the hockey aspects.

It would be huge if he could become a 2nd pairing compliment, he’ll even a solid bottom pairing out of him would be good news for us

Reactions: tomd

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Warren was the last of the upper echelon defensive D-men on the board when we selected in the 2nd round. We truly needed a potential shutdown D type in our ranks b/c of the slew of OFD we have in our system in LaCombe, Zellweger, and Mintyukov; and that doesn't include Drysdale. I'm glad we were able to nab Warren before anyone else did b/c there was a huge rush for defensive D in the draft that started at the 18th pick.

Rd 1
18th. Dallas selected LD Bichsel.​
21st. Pittsburgh selected LD PIckering.​
29th. Arizona selected RD Maveric Lamoureaux​
Rd 2
37th. Washington selected RD Chesley​
42nd. Anaheim selected RD Warren​

PV had noted he could see a MInty-Warren pairing in the future. I just cared about having that depth and balance in our system in case some we don't sign someone, someone doesn't pan out, or we end up trading a DFD (shutdown type D). Currently, we had three shutdown type D before selecting Warren: RD Helleson (hasn't looked great), LD Thrun (not yet signed), and LD Hinds.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not seeing helleson in the nhl hope I’m wrong

Too early to tell.

Offensively, he's improved from last season. Defensively, he's incrementally improved. Instead of being -14 in 17 games like last year, this year he's -14 in 36 games. He's only 21 years old, so he's got time to develop. His defense is underwhelming in the pros to date.

We all hope we're wrong about Helleson. If we're not, that's why many of us really want the NCAA boys to sign with us in Lacombe and Thrun b/c they might be better than Helleson.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I'm on the Warren train, but I'm pessimistic about Gaucher.

Warren I think has a worse season than I hoped for but he is still very young (even in his draft year) and has great physical tools. I have not seen enough evidence of him being incapable defensively so I think he could reach the #4 physical PK D guy on a good team, but even for that he will certainly need some years to reach. In a world where rental #5 DDs are trading for 1st round picks+ and where aging Gudbranson can get a 4x4M contract, I am very happy with Warren's pick, still.

With Gaucher I think we made the pick too early for the value we will get from him, but I am happy to have him in our org, I have nothing against the guy. I am just a bit disappointed(? - scratching my head) at our management for that pick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Warren I think has a worse season than I hoped for but he is still very young (even in his draft year) and has great physical tools. I have not seen enough evidence of him being incapable defensively so I think he could reach the #4 physical PK D guy on a good team, but even for that he will certainly need some years to reach. In a world where rental #5 DDs are trading for 1st round picks+ and where aging Gudbranson can get a 4x4M contract, I am very happy with Warren's pick, still.

With Gaucher I think we made the pick too early for the value we will get from him, but I am happy to have him in our org, I have nothing against the guy. I am just a bit disappointed(? - scratching my head) at our management for that pick.
While true I think I recall gaucher projected to go in the 25-35 range by most mock drafts… so chances are he went going to be available at our next pick. If the team really liked him and didn’t want to miss out on him they had no choice but to grab him there.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

If Warren reaches his ceiling he'll be better than Manson was imo. Longer reach and faster skating ability, if he gets the most out of that he'll be really hard to play against on top of being physical.
Using that reach to intercept passes, combine that reach with his speed its even more effective.

Reactions: Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Because they don't understand that this team has loaded up on "skill" prospects lately and the org is lacking two way physical types. You need both to win in the NHL. I like Gaucher because he is what the Ducks are lacking. I think he has enough skill to not be a black hole offensively, and will develop into a guy who can play against big, physical first liners.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Because they don't understand that this team has loaded up on "skill" prospects lately and the org is lacking two way physical types. You need both to win in the NHL. I like Gaucher because he is what the Ducks are lacking. I think he has enough skill to not be a black hole offensively, and will develop into a guy who can play against big, physical first liners.
You can get players like that out of the 1st round and via free agency though... a lot easier than a point producing play driver. I think Gaucher will definitely be a NHL player, at this moment I'd predict he produces and plays similar to Comtois does this season, I think he will be a forechecking winger for one of our talented centers. You pray he maxes potential and becomes a Rucchin type but I doubt that. That being said, I prefer a higher upside player in the 1st round. First round picks are hard to get for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv and Beckett
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad