Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I have some mild optimism about either. They're probably not going to flat out say they're leaving if they are but Thrun at least doesn't seem to be intimidated by the competition and his reasons for going back seem analytical. LaCombe, well, maybe a lot less but he did say that wasn't his focus, maybe he isn't lying.

I think you can sign one. The carrot of burning an ELC and playing NHL games this year is a good one. Maybe you make it work with both but I do suspect at least one might be swayed by that. Or just want to be here.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

About the prospect of signing after their senior season has ended:

LaCombe: "“I don’t think there should be any concern,” he said. “I’m with the Anaheim Ducks and they have my rights. That’s where I’m at right now."​
Thrun:​
"At the end of the season, we’ll probably have some more negotiations with the staff here and try to figure something out."​

They both have their own reasons for going back, but it's the same path, which is to get even better. Also, they are captains of their respective teams. Both will be much more refined when they come over! I like the fact that Stephens shared both have connections on the team to talk with about the org.

I do like LaCombe going back because he's still refining his game after changing over from forward to defense. One of the things I'm looking forward to in his senior season is if he can actually be productive offensively to start the season. For the past three seasons, LaCombe has started slow offensively and then goes on a tear in the second half of the season.

That was a great article by Stephens on both prospects with respect to going back to college and thoughts of coming over. There is only one thing I wished Stephens would have addressed in the article, "Have either played RD?"

I know that LaCombe has been playing the right side for Minnesota because we shared that info on here, but not everyone else does that reads it. Even Zellweger plays RD even though he's LD. It kinda makes a difference in value if Stephens had known that LaCombe has been playing RD for the past couple of seasons.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Definitely feels important we have some former college players, and friends of Thrun and Lacombe. (Z/Helleson). I can imagine Z putting a lot of friendly pressure on the 2 to sign.

I can’t remember our pool back with Schultz, but it feels different than last time. I’m not worried.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Lacombe sounded slightly more favourable maybe but not by much. I don’t think you can glean a whole lot from it.

I thought this comment was interesting from Thrun: “I’ve been super impressed with the new staff.”

Tough to tell if he’s just being positive on everything or if he feels like the new coaches/staff are truly a lot better

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sounds like Thrun is likely gone but Lacombe will likely stay in Anaheim to be with his friends. If they can sign one of these guys then it's a win, after this recent draft, Ducks are so stacked on D, I am not concerned.

Thrun's responses have been very clinical and analytical. It kinda reminds of Lindholm and Gibby's response. I want to focus on the season at hand and then go from there.

LaCombe also gave a similar response.

Both are probably saying what their agents (can they have agents?) are saying to them about having options b/c it is a bargaining tool. We now know their reasons for returning and that's to refine their game. It's obvious they love their programs and they are captains going into next season. And since we're not addressing the blue line this year, then there's a more direct path to the NHL for both prospects. That's actually a great opportunity for both to want to sign in Anaheim.

If they both sign and look great for the rest of the games in San Diego, then they could push for an NHL roster spot in 2023-24.

It's great hearing players on our team were trying to convince them to join this past season. That has a lot of value to me. That factor does play into what Verbeek said in his Off-season Moves interview:

On the chances of signing collegians Henry Thrun and Jackson LaCombe
Well, there's always a concern. At the end of the day, once they get by a certain time, they're gonna have the ability to decide whether they want to sign with us or go free. So yeah, it's a concern, but we will proceed with trying to sign them, and they are our property until August 15th of next year. So we will continue to give them the reasons why they should stay with the Ducks organization.

Here is Thrun's comment from Stephens' article on the Ducks:

I’ve been super impressed with the new staff. I think Pat’s done a really good job kind of developing and you can kind of see the way he’s bringing along the organization with some of the players he’s drafting and the people he’s bringing in.​

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Thrun gone

I got the same feeling.

Honestly whatever about Thrun and Lacombe at this point, if they stay nice, if they leave who cares. But I hope the lesson has finally been learned about NCAA project players
Honestly, this is something that needs to change at a CBA level. There should be compensation going back to the Ducks in some way if they leave.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
One of Stephen's best articles IMO. Didn't feel vanilla like most of his do. Focused on a hot topic among Duck fans. Die hard ones, anyway.

Can't read too much into it, but I'll echo what others have said (which is not what I thought prior to that article), feels like we're likely to lose Thrun than LaCombe. Unfortunate because I think Thrun is the much better prospect personally.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
They really need to be able to sign a "conditional" contract or something while in college... basically that they will sign an official contract after the college season. This should be something that can't be taken away by either side (so if a college player has a career ending injury, he still gets the contract too). Or make it a modified RFA compensation system where the signing team gives up a pick if the team that owned the player's rights tried to sign them.

Oct 18, 2011
I don't see why they would come to this camp if they weren't atleast considering signing and what are they telling Verbeek? Thrun is a little more concerning because he didn't mention education once and thats what you always hear about the Harvard guys staying

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't see why they would come to this camp if they weren't atleast considering signing and what are they telling Verbeek? Thrun is a little more concerning because he didn't mention education once and thats what you always hear about the Harvard guys staying
Why not, it's summer, California, professional coaching, learn how to make food, learn some life lesson, see how you compare to other NHL prospects etc.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Another thing for Thrun and LaCombe is what if they sign with the Ducks and then the Ducks later use them in a trade to a city they don't want to be ? Given the wealth of Dmen prospects its possible.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Another thing for Thrun and LaCombe is what if they sign with the Ducks and then the Ducks later use them in a trade to a city they don't want to be ? Given the wealth of Dmen prospects its possible.
If thats the thought process id hope we trade them soon. Hopefully they are thinking, im going to make that team and make the rest of the dmen expendable

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Because it’s an opportunity to learn from a pro coaching staff and better themselves, for free. Even if they go somewhere else they still need to perform.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

They come because it’s the only pro camp they can attend. Also, they likely are considering the ducks, along with perhaps dozens of other teams. I don’t love those odds.

Reactions: Kalv and bsu

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That's on my mind as well. There are teams with less upcoming dmen pipeline and quite immediate spots available that are winning. Just purely career-wise that situation is probably better for them.
We do have a great track record for developping dmen, I just hope they realize that

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think both of their talents are ahead of a lot of our other prospects not named Zellweger. And the fact they're ahead of the development curve, that trading them in the future doesn't make sense if they're that good for us in the NHL level. I'd rather be trading prospects than NHL roster spots since we're lacking NHL talent depth.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It's too bad one or both didn't sign after last season. Sounds like they could've made the team at some point this coming year and maybe even out of camp. especially with how thin our blueline currently is. they would've been able to establish themselves either with the Ducks or Gulls which could go a long way on a team with a lot of D prospects.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I feel like a lot of people here are putting a ton of stock in the ‘they are friends with players A, B and C so they will sign!’

I think the friends angle is all bullshit IMO. Never bought into it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like a lot of people here are putting a ton of stock in the ‘they are friends with players A, B and C so they will sign!’

I think the friends angle is all bullshit IMO. Never bought into it.
i don’t think it’s relevant, but I also don’t think it hurts either

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Similar to Guhle. Murray made it seem like he was the second coming of Jesus Christ when he was acquired. Then poof. Big pile of nothing.
"Brendan Guhle is an excellent skater who is ready to take the next step in his career," said Executive Vice President/General Manager & Interim Head Coach Bob Murray. "Adding Guhle and a first-round pick is an important step as we retool our team moving forward. We also thank Brandon Montour for his efforts and wish him the best of luck in Buffalo."
These are the only comments I could find from Bob about Guhle. I'm no bible expert but I feel like Jesus had his tires pumped more than that.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

These are the only comments I could find from Bob about Guhle. I'm no bible expert but I feel like Jesus had his tires pumped more than that.

I'll take the L on that one. Unless I'm misremembering, the comment I was thinking of was in response to a question about Guhle's potential to be a legit NHL player. Something along the lines of "you'll see."

But yeah. All I could find was this.

1658417445002.png

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I said Guhle sucked the first time I saw him and most on here just thought I was complaining because we traded Montour, dude was only a good skater north/south and that doesn't cut it as a defensemen in the NHL. Glad we moved on from him and Larsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad