Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Hurricanes got a 2nd for Jack McBain… we should be able to at least get something in return for Lacombe and Thrun…
I don't think we would get a 2nd for either. That'd be nice though.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
From Verbeek's media availability

On the chances of signing collegians Henry Thrun and Jackson LaCombe

Well, there's always a concern. At the end of the day, once they get by a certain time, they're gonna have the ability to decide whether they want to sign with us or go free. So yeah, it's a concern, but we will proceed with trying to sign them and they are our property until August 15th of next year. So we will continue to give them the reasons why they should stay with the Ducks organization.

This scenario isn't any different from any other four-year college prospect. Just on the Minnesota Golden Golphers team, there are six 2019 draftees: D Johnson (Rd 1, Buf), D LaCombe (Rd 2, Ana), D Huglen (Rd 4, Buf), LW Pitlick (Rd 5, Mon), D Koster (Rd 5, Tor), RW Brodzinski (Rd 7, Phi).

We'll know by April or earlier about them signing. We did sign F McLaughlin as a senior from Minny after his season ended last year. He was a 3rd round pick for the Ducks in 2018.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'll guess LaCombe signs and Thrun doesn't. I hope both do though.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Here is a list of prospect defensemen eligible for San Diego in 2022-2023:

Helleson
Andersson
Thrun
LaCombe
Zellweger
Hinds
Mintyukov
And then Moore and Nickl are also possibilities. It will be tough to keep all of those guys happy.

EDIT: I meant 2023-2024

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Helleson
Andersson
Thrun
LaCombe
Zellweger
Hinds
Mintyukov
And then Moore and Nickl are also possibilities. It will be tough to keep all of those guys happy.
With the development jump Mintyukov took from the season before to last.... Hot take alert: He'll be in the NHL lineup in 2022-2023. I think he's going to bulk up this season and join a better squad and absolutely dominate. He led his team in scoring as a rookie D... his team was Ducks level bad (post TDL).

Reactions: All Mighty

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Helleson
Andersson
Thrun
LaCombe
Zellweger
Hinds
Mintyukov

EDIT: I meant 2023-2024

I think Helleson and Andersson should be NHL bound in 2023-24. This is Shatty's last year under contract and we should have two RHD spots open. I think both will probably get called up this season.

If we're able to sign both LaCombe and Thrun, then there's a good chance that the org will let Moore spend another year at Harvard.

Nickl is also a 2020 pick like Moore. Nickl can spend an extra year across the pond and come over for 2024-25 season.

Since LaCombe and Thrun did spend four years in college, then I think their stay in the AHL will probably be one-and-done. They'll probably be NHL bound in 2024-25.

In the AHL for 2022-23
Helleson​
Andersson​

In the AHL for 2023-24
LaCombe​
Thrun​
Zellweger​
Hinds​
Minty​

In the AHL for 2024-25
Zellweger​
Hinds​
Minty​
Moore​
Nickl​

In the AHL for 2025-26
Hinds​
Moore​
Nickl​
Warren​
Luneau​

We don't really know who will make it to the NHL and stick, but at least we'll have a lot of them coming through starting in 2023-24 such as LaCombe, Thrun, Zellweger, Hinds, and Minty (Unless Minty is in the NHL this season).

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I think Helleson and Andersson should be NHL bound in 2023-24. This is Shatty's last year under contract and we should have two RHD spots open. I think both will probably get called up this season.

If we're able to sign both LaCombe and Thrun, then there's a good chance that the org will let Moore spend another year at Harvard.

Nickl is also a 2020 pick like Moore. Nickl can spend an extra year across the pond and come over for 2024-25 season.

Since LaCombe and Thrun did spend four years in college, then I think their stay in the AHL will probably be one-and-done. They'll probably be NHL bound in 2024-25.

In the AHL for 2022-23
Helleson​
Andersson​

In the AHL for 2023-24
LaCombe​
Thrun​
Zellweger​
Hinds​
Minty​

In the AHL for 2024-25
Zellweger​
Hinds​
Minty​
Moore​
Nickl​

In the AHL for 2025-26
Hinds​
Moore​
Nickl​
Warren​
Luneau​

We don't really know who will make it to the NHL and stick, but at least we'll have a lot of them coming through starting in 2023-24 such as LaCombe, Thrun, Zellweger, Hinds, and Minty (Unless Minty is in the NHL this season).
Warren and Luneau would be in the Ahl no later than 24-25, and at their current trajectory it’s rather unlikely Zell and Minty would be there in 24-25

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Ultimately, Thrun sees his decision as “entering the workforce at the highest level possible” and that means getting more action at that level to make up for the time lost.

“I just looked at previous defensemen that have made a step up to pro hockey,” Thrun said. “Very rarely is it someone that has played less than 60 games. Like a sophomore ideally that turns pro and has a big career, it’s pretty hard to do. At the end of the day, getting another season under my belt is another 30-plus games for development. That’s the way I look at it.”

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thrun hasn’t ruled out signing with the Ducks. He was eager to show his wares at a competitive camp. But he knows the free agency option is also there.

“At the end of the day, I’m kind of going through the season similar to the way I did last year,” he said. “It’s something where I’m going to go into the year and have the best year I can. At the end of the season, we’ll probably have some more negotiations with the staff here and try to figure something out.

“I can’t really say right now what’s going to happen. I’ve been super impressed with the new staff. I think Pat’s done a really good job kind of developing and you can kind of see the way he’s bringing along the organization with some of the players he’s drafting and the people he’s bringing in.”

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Warren and Luneau would be in the Ahl no later than 24-25, and at their current trajectory it’s rather unlikely Zell and Minty would be there in 24-25

You're right! Damn, too many defensive prospects. 2 years only needed in the CHL from their draft season, 2022. 2024-25 is their date of AHL arrival.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
“It was a difficult decision for sure when you have an opportunity like that,” he said. “Just from me, just seeing another year to grow and develop as a player and a person at home and being able to add different parts of my game that I think I can still add and grow even more in confidence. Just continue to progress as a player that I think I can be.

“I think that’s so important for me in the long-term aspect of it. Just so important to develop those areas that I’m missing in my game.”

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Like Thrun, LaCombe is keeping his options open. Free agency is available in several months. But should there be any concern on the Ducks’ part that he won’t sign?

“I don’t think there should be any concern,” he said. “I’m with the Anaheim Ducks and they have my rights. That’s where I’m at right now.

“That is an option. But that’s not what I’m looking at right now.”

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
“I talked to both Drew and Trevor a little bit,” Thrun said. “Spent some time on FaceTime and on the phone with them. Obviously moving out here and living in Southern California is something that is pretty hard to turn down. They were both pushing a little bit. Definitely was getting swayed.

“When I was talking to them, I was just kind of hearing some of the stories they had and some of the stuff they go through. It was good kind of hear their perspective and kind of getting some information from them. Obviously, Trev has been up in the NHL which is obviously all our goals and Drew’s had some experience in San Diego, which is also super valuable. Just kind of compare and contrast and seeing where they’re at. It’s really helpful to have both of them here.”

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
By "decision" Lacombe is referring to going back to school for senior year:

For LaCombe, having to break it to another Minnesota native in Helleson made it all the more difficult.

“Obviously he’s one of my best buddies,” LaCombe said. “It’s special to play with him anywhere. A little bit of convincing and it was tough to make the decision I had to tell him. He knows and obviously he respects it. But it’s cool that he’s out here.”

Now the Ducks must wait and see if the pair will make it back to Orange County.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad