Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Real nice shot, he’s had like two semi breakaways where he failed to get off a good shot, has to work on those hands.

Zell hit the post in the first and is everywhere.
Yeah I can see where I believe it was @Kalv said the play can die on his stick at times, but when it works for him he’s a force. He started that drive by tying up the stick to send them the other way for his goal. Zellweger is obviously noticeable even if you’re blind, that kid is going to be nuts.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Yeah I can see where I believe it was @Kalv said the play can die on his stick at times, but when it works for him he’s a force. He started that drive by tying up the stick to send them the other way for his goal. Zellweger is obviously noticeable even if you’re blind, that kid is going to be nuts.

Definitely needs to work on puck skills and like agility, but he’s been their most dangerous forward through the first half of the game IMO.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, that was me. Was a nice (accurate) shot but the color guy wasn't shy on several occasions in saying that the goalie has to make a save on that type of shot. Nonetheless, pretty good game for him so far. Really worried about his ability to make plays at the NHL level with his lack of puck skills.

Reactions: ScarTroy

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Yeah, that was me. Was a nice (accurate) shot but the color guy wasn't shy on several occasions in saying that the goalie has to make a save on that type of shot. Nonetheless, pretty good game for him so far. Really worried about his ability to make plays at the NHL level with his lack of puck skills.
Ahh my bad, couldn’t remember who said it I just remember seeing it. An accurate description of him, if he can button up that part of his game I can see him being a solid 3rd liner in a few years

Reactions: Kalv and tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ahh my bad, couldn’t remember who said it I just remember seeing it. An accurate description of him, if he can button up that part of his game I can see him being a solid 3rd liner in a few years
Unfortunately it's been my experience that when a player has hands of stone he'll always have them. Skating, shooting, passing are all things that can be improved upon but hands of stone are a curse that very few can ever overcome.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Unfortunately it's been my experience that when a player has hands of stone he'll always have them. Skating, shooting, passing are all things that can be improved upon but hands of stone are a curse that very few can ever overcome.

I don't think anyone is going to expect him to become a Zegras or Terry with the puck, but he should be able to improve enough to be serviceable. He's 19 not 29 and obviously still developing. I'm sure if you looked at players over the years there are hundreds of examples of kids who developed and got better hands as they matured physically combined with a different focus and practice.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't think anyone is going to expect him to become a Zegras or Terry with the puck, but he should be able to improve enough to be serviceable. He's 19 not 29 and obviously still developing. I'm sure if you looked at players over the years there are hundreds of examples of kids who developed and got better hands as they matured physically combined with a different focus and practice.
Well we'll see. My concern is that he has poor pucks skills / hands at the junior level. At the NHL level where the game is 10x faster, he will have to improve exponentially to be anywhere above the 4th line. I think that is a huge expectation. And even though he is great at face-offs, centers are expected to be able to handle the puck so he may end up as the 4th line RW of the future. Not bad I guess if that what the Ducks were hoping for.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Well we'll see. My concern is that he has poor pucks skills / hands at the junior level. At the NHL level where the game is 10x faster, he will have to improve exponentially to be anywhere above the 4th line. I think that is a huge expectation. And even though he is great at face-offs, centers are expected to be able to handle the puck so he may end up as the 4th line RW of the future. Not bad I guess if that what the Ducks were hoping for.

Concerns are definitely valid. I'm not sure he's a center at the NHL level though, especially with Z, McTavish, Lundestrom, likely Carlsson/Fantilli ahead of him, and then like Groulx. It is entirely possible 1 or 2 of those players are gone before he hits the NHL though.

Reactions: tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Overall a pretty solid game for Gaucher. Quebec was fast and physical. Will be fun to see how they do against the other two teams. Kamloops had chances to put the game away in the 1st period and didn't capitalize. Some bad luck involved there. Kamloops D was pretty bad in the 2nd and 3rd periods and their goaltending didn't help. Back to the drawing board for them.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Zellweger will be a threat to watch but I thought he looked weak physically at times. On Quebec's 5th goal he got easily knocked out of the play.

Long time coming for Gaucher on his goal. His line looks better with Roy instead of Huchette.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Overall a pretty solid game for Gaucher. Quebec was fast and physical. Will be fun to see how they do against the other two teams. Kamloops had chances to put the game away in the 1st period and didn't capitalize. Some bad luck involved there. Kamloops D was pretty bad in the 2nd and 3rd periods and their goaltending didn't help. Back to the drawing board for them.

Agree, they went what, 0 for 3 on the PP in the first? Then when they were down two and on the PP in the third gave up a shorthanded goal before the game got out of hand. They also gave up a lot of 2 on 1s, but I don't remember 1 odd man rush in their favor.

Zellweger will be a threat to watch but I thought he looked weak physically at times. On Quebec's 5th goal he got easily knocked out of the play.

Long time coming for Gaucher on his goal. His line looks better with Roy instead of Huchette.

I don't think Zell will ever be a defensive stalwart, there are definitely tons that he has to learn defensively and will need to continue to need to get stronger.

Reactions: Kalv

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
3. Nathan Gaucher, C, Québec Remparts (Anaheim Ducks)
This one could have gone to several players. Bankier was strong for the Blazers in a punishing manner while opening the scoring for his club. Olen Zellweger (ANH) was all over the ice. Ditto for Kyle Masters (MIN) and Daylan Kuefler (NYI). But the honour goes to Nathan Gaucher.

The 19-year-old may have only scored one goal in this one, but his two-way play demanded attention. The Ducks first-rounder was a play-killing monster while his team was shorthanded – blocking shots, cutting off lanes, and lifting sticks at the net front to thwart grade-A chances.

He barrelled his way down the ice for multiple shorthanded opportunities, and his one-time goal at even-strength was a backbreaker as it extended the lead to 3-1 and opened up the floodgates for Québec.

The 6-foot-3 pivot owns the size, skating, and pro-style habits that stand out immensely at the junior level. His responsible play in the opener was well worth a third-star appearance tonight.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I have said it as well. To me it was kind of suspicious in Q and very noticable at WJC where he just had to play defensively because they couldn't get any zone time and it felt many times it was because of him. I'm stoked to hear he was doing great in this game ofc

This is really nice to hear. This is the most reliable source of information for me

Reactions: ScarTroy
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I am still very skeptical on how Zellweger would adapt to the physical play in the AHL - especially the NHL (if it all goes well for him).

Completely wiped out of the play, I thought he looked hurt for a brief moment in time.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I am still very skeptical on how Zellweger would adapt to the physical play in the AHL - especially the NHL (if it all goes well for him).

Completely wiped out of the play, I thought he looked hurt for a brief moment in time.
Not really a big deal tbh... well have guys that can play that style.... we just need zellweger to be a good PP/offensive generator, and good in transistion.

Anything he does in his own end is a bonus.

Reactions: Deuce22 and lwvs84

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
image.jpg

Live from Kamloops…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad