Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If you take away Gaucher's age 16 season (Rakell was still in Sweden at that age), their CHL production is pretty close.

149 points in 149 games for Rakell.

134 points in 140 games for Gaucher.

Another example, happens to come from the same defunct OHL club as Rakell. Tom Wilson's NHL career high is 52 points, but he only had 85 points in 97 games across his final two seasons of junior. Obviously the type of nasty power forward we hope are getting in Gaucher.

How about our beloved long time captain Getzlaf? @tomd would have been writing him off in his final year of junior (D+2) where he only put up 54 points in 51 games.
From the abovementioned, I don't recall anyone being as bad with eye-test as Gaucher tho :laugh:

But the point is valid that his point production has to be weighted a bit different than for others because of the style he plays. But I'm still concerned about the amount of plays that died on his stick in WJC.
Next season cannot come soon enough, let's see how he looks in San Diego.

Reactions: tomd

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If you take away Gaucher's age 16 season (Rakell was still in Sweden at that age), their CHL production is pretty close.

149 points in 149 games for Rakell.

134 points in 140 games for Gaucher.

Another example, happens to come from the same defunct OHL club as Rakell. Tom Wilson's NHL career high is 52 points, but he only had 85 points in 97 games across his final two seasons of junior. Obviously the type of nasty power forward we hope are getting in Gaucher.

How about our beloved long time captain Getzlaf? @tomd would have been writing him off in his final year of junior (D+2) where he only put up 54 points in 51 games.

I think different eras can't compare with the era of today. For example, Getzlaf's D+2 season of 54 points in 51 games feels like meh, but it does mean a lot if he was the team's leading goal scorer.

Rakell is an odd example. He started off as a winger in the OHL, but then made the switch to center in the middle of the season. Also, the center he replaced went to wing and that winger is Noesen. In 2011 draft, we wanted Noesen at 22nd overall, but the Sens drafted him at 21st. We traded down to 30th (Rakell) and 39th (Gibson). At the pro level, we re-converted Rakell to wing again. We really got lucky when the Sens drafted Noesen.

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that Gaucher's scoring rate has plateaued. I do disagree that it means the upside of Gaucher is 4C. I just think Gaucher has been type-casted as a shutdown 3C and that's the role he's embraced. If Gaucher's scoring touch improves, then that's icing on the cake.

With Gaucher, I think his upside is 3rd liner like Rob Niedermayer. Gaucher could be a great shutdown pairing with Lundy, with Lundy playing center.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
With Gaucher, I think his upside is 3rd liner like Rob Niedermayer. Gaucher could be a great shutdown pairing with Lundy, with Lundy playing center.
You could even swap them based on who you're trying to shut down. If it's a speedy C, have Lundestrom at C and move Gaucher if it's a bigger guy. If he can improve his hands and can be a net front nuisance/garbage goal guy he might be able to play 3rd wheel in the top 6 as a winger.

End of the game, being able to throw out Lundy/Gaucher/Fantilli (?) To defend a late lead could be massive too.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You could even swap them based on who you're trying to shut down. If it's a speedy C, have Lundestrom at C and move Gaucher if it's a bigger guy. If he can improve his hands and can be a net front nuisance/garbage goal guy he might be able to play 3rd wheel in the top 6 as a winger.

End of the game, being able to throw out Lundy/Gaucher/Fantilli (?) To defend a late lead could be massive too.

I usually want the faster guy at center. With Lundy at center, then Gaucher can simply plant himself in front of the net most of the time. This is perfect because Lundy often skates with the puck around the rink, behind the net so he can find Gaucher in the paint or find the open winger or defensemen to shoot with Gaucher being the screen.

I don't trust Gaucher or Fantilli defensively like I do Lundy, who has spent 8 seasons playing defense against men in a pro league since age 16. They youths still need to earn that trust at the NHL level.

Reactions: Arthuros and lwvs84

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This team is ridiculously good at drafting defense. If the awards this year inthe CHL aren't enough, just look at who is in the SCF. Super impressive.
Theodore vs Montour + Mahura. Even Mahura can be somewhat called a success, I always did think he was better than Larsson. Larsson was good at nothing, Mahura at least could move the puck a little.

Reactions: Arthuros and Kalv

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Our new, updated reserve list now that everyone who was set to expire this year has been accounted for (disregard Bowen who quietly retired)

1685662341891.png

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Tschigerl was not signed, no longer Ducks property and will be eligible in this year's draft

Don't know if I agree with letting Tschigerl go. As I recall he was pretty good in training camp, could have made it as a high energy 3rd or 4th if we were patient enough.

Reactions: anezthes
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Our new, updated reserve list now that everyone who was set to expire this year has been accounted for (disregard Bowen who quietly retired)

View attachment 714567

Thanks for this.

But man, it’s hard to NOT be pessimistic about this team. None of those forward prospects that are on our reserve list excite me whatsoever.

I’m hoping for another ‘down’ year where we can draft mostly forwards in this upcoming draft and next years. Either that, or trade one of our crown-jeweled defensemen for some offensive help.

Reactions: Kalv

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for this.

But man, it’s hard to NOT be pessimistic about this team. None of those forward prospects that are on our reserve list excite me whatsoever.

I’m hoping for another ‘down’ year where we can draft mostly forwards in this upcoming draft and next years. Either that, or trade one of our crown-jeweled defensemen for some offensive help.
Hard disagree considering we are about to pick a forward at number 2 and have great prospect aged forwards on the roster already.

Reactions: Kalv
Oct 18, 2011
I'm not sure how much these junior stats matter. Pastujov has great numbers and there's alot of skepticism about him still

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Their whole defense, aside from Zellweger, was a big woof late last night from what I saw. They’re a much more talented team but the Pete’s are much better coached and it showed.
I think the exact opposite is the case. The Petes aren't poorly coached but they're a team built with a clear plan and identity. Unfortunately for them there's no plan B. The Petes dominated the OHL via faceoff domination and a very defensive minded system where their completely overpowered forward group helps out the more fragile defense and goaltender, effectively preventing opponents from creating high danger chances. They still score enough goals to win because they have three scoring lines packed with talent who, on breakaways, regularly beat defenders with speed and skill.

The problem is, almost none of this works vs Kamloops. Kamloops is pretty much the lone CHL team with a very fast and mobile defense and they're strong on faceoffs as well. Since the Petes PP is way worse than it should be with their talented forwards, that leads to them looking awfully bad vs Kamloops. As a result, they got beaten badly in game 1 and for almost 40' in game 2 between the teams at the Memorial Cup.

I thought Zellweger was actually one of the worst players on his team. Don't want to bash him as a prospect...he played a fantastic season and has improved so much since the draft. I'm pretty sure he's an unhappy man now though. It was him who have the puck away ahead of the first Petes goal and following that and the Petes dump in, his passive/lost board battle was another part of the reason why Lockhart got to score the goal. Same story ahead of the equalizer by Zanetti. Zellweger goes to the boards but doesn't really do anything except puck watching. By doing so, he takes himself out of the play without actually getting the puck or even doing anything to prevent the scoring chance. Even more importantly, it was his rather dumb delay of game penalty that led to the momentum shift. Kamloops was up by two and dominating completely but the penalty led to the Petes PP goal and the already mentioned equalizer just seconds later. Of course this was all rather unfortunate because the Petes were incredibly lucky to be behind by just two at that point...but it is what it is. Zellweger is a great prospect but this game wasn't his finest hour. My initial thought was that he's to blame for the OT winner as well because of him skating rather casually after his chance. Probably would be an unfair verdict though because he absolutely has to take that shot and having done so he probably couldn't have caught Avon no matter what.

Last edited:

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I think the exact opposite is the case. The Petes aren't poorly coached but they're a team built with a clear plan and identity. Unfortunately for them there's no plan B. The Petes dominated the OHL via faceoff domination and a very defensive minded system where their completely overpowered forward group helps out the more fragile defense and goaltender, effectively preventing opponents from creating high danger chances. They still score enough goals to win because they have three scoring lines packed with talent who, on breakaways, regularly beat defenders with speed and skill.

The problem is, almost none of this works vs Kamloops. Kamloops is pretty much the lone CHL team with a very fast and mobile defense and they're strong on faceoffs as well. Since the Petes PP is way worse than it should be with their talented forwards, that leads to them looking awfully bad vs Kamloops. As a result, they got beaten badly in game 1 and for almost 40' in game 2 between the teams at the Memorial Cup.

I thought Zellweger was actually one of the worst players on his team. Don't want to bash him as a prospect...he played a fantastic season and has improved so much since the draft. I'm pretty sure he's an unhappy man now though. It was him who have the puck away ahead of the first Petes goal and following that and the Petes dump in, his passive/lost board battle was another part of the reason why Lockhart got to score the goal. Same story ahead of the equalizer by Zanetti. Zellweger goes to the boards but doesn't really do anything except puck watching. By doing so, he takes himself out of the play without actually getting the puck or even doing anything to prevent the scoring chance. Even more importantly, it was his rather dumb delay of game penalty that led to the momentum shift. Kamloops was up by two and dominating completely but the penalty led to the Petes PP goal and the already mentioned equalizer just seconds later. Of course this was all rather unfortunate because the Petes were incredibly lucky to be behind by just two at that point...but it is what it is. Zellweger is a great prospect but this game wasn't his finest hour. My initial thought was that he's to blame for the OT winner as well because of him skating rather casually after his chance. Probably would be an unfair verdict though because he absolutely has to take that shot and having done so he probably couldn't have caught Avon no matter what.

This is always going to be his criticism going forward. He's not going to get 10 shots a game in the NHL, and he's going to have to learn to provide value when he isn't scoring. We saw this with Minty after he was traded and he had to learn to play within a more structured system, which was probably better for his development as an NHL player.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad