Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So by your logic, we should only be using our 3rd round picks or later for 3C’s? How often does that work out? If they think they can get that type of player at 22, and he’s not clearly a reach I really don’t see an issue with that. I’m just pointing out an unrealistic expectation for the position we picked him to eventually fit into our lineup. Regardless where those other guys were picked, they were solid 3C’s that rarely, or never hit the imaginary baseline you set for him for it to not be a wasted pick in your eyes.
I'm just saying that for a 1st round pick a team should be aiming higher than a physical defensive center who has real weakness in his offensive game. I know why they drafted him and I get it. But I don't see him as a 3rd line center at this point. 4th line at best if he even makes the NHL on a regular basis.

Look, the Ducks took a very similar player in Groulx in 2018. Five years later and we're still waiting for him to break through. And he was far more advanced offensively than Gaucher. I don't see a very different path for Gaucher other than they may rush him b/c he was a 1st rounder.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How do we know Gaucher wasn't more of Madden pick than PV ? Madden loves to draft fellow Quebec guys and Madden isn't exactly as good with Forwards as he is with Dmen.

The last two times we had a late, first round pick before Verbeek took over, the Ducks swung for top-6 scoring forwards.

2019: 29th LW Tracey
2020: 27th RW Perrault

Gaucher isn't a scoring, top-6 forward. Gaucher reminds me of Groulx, a middle 2nd round pick who's known as a shutdown D, but Gaucher is bigger, probably more physical, and faster straight-line speed.

2018: C Lundestrom

Although Lundy's calling card is his defense, he had a high scoring rate in his draft year for an SHL prospect. Ceiling was 2nd line winger, which we did try to convert him in 2020-21, but a rash of injuries down the middle made him find his way back at center. Lundy had a 0.36 ppg rate in his D+0 SHL year. For perspective, Carlsson has a 0.43 ppg rate in his D+0 SHL season.

2017: no first round pick.

2016: 24th LW Jones. His scouting report was a speedy, goal scorer. A potential top-6 forward.
2016: 30th C Steel. Potential top-6 center.

We can go to Murray's first draft with the Ducks in 2009.

2009: 26th RW Palmieir. Top-6 scorer.

Hope that helps identify the pattern in late, first round forward selections between the Murray era and Verbeek's first draft.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Average games played for around Gaucher's pick is ~300, 3.5 seasons. There is a complete misconception on what teams get out of that part of the draft.

We'll be lucky to get that from Perrault or Tracey, two guys seen as bigger swings in the latter first round.
So the lesson learned is not to bother trading pending free agents for #1 picks? Because those picks will always be late. At #22 the Ducks got a relatively high 1st round pick from a playoff team. Or is the lesson to be ultra-conservative with those picks and just take guys that you know can play on the 4th line? Or is the lesson to get better scouts or have a better drafting philosophy?

Last edited:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
PV told all of us after the draft. He said he wanted the team to be tougher to play against. That is almost a verbatim quote.

Only one is currently playing until the Memorial Cup starts. Who else are we going to talk about?
That has nothing to do with your agenda. Perrault and Tracey were picked late In the first as well. Where are your 100+ posts crapping on them during the season?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That has nothing to do with your agenda. Perrault and Tracey were picked late In the first as well. Where are your 100+ posts crapping on them during the season?
If you want to do a search you'll find that I have posted many times that Tracey, Perreault, and Colangelo all look like busts/underperformers and that the Ducks have massively missed on those high picks. I've been critical of LaCombe as well at times. And, of course, I've given praise where due.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Average games played for around Gaucher's pick is ~300, 3.5 seasons. There is a complete misconception on what teams get out of that part of the draft.

We'll be lucky to get that from Perrault or Tracey, two guys seen as bigger swings in the latter first round.

A 3C is far more versatile than a top-6F in this range (late, first round) because a 3C can be played to move up the lineup, whereas most top-6F struggle to play down the lineup. See Steel and Comtois.

The chance of landing a top-6F is more beneficial than a 3C, though, b/c scoring top-6F are difficult to come by. It's too bad we don't have Dallas' scouting staff for forwards outside the top-10.

We can't change the pick. It's a preference. Verbeek liked Gaucher. Murray like Tracey and Perreault. Gaucher can find a niche in the NHL as a bottom-6 forward and PK'er. If Tracey or Perreault don't pan out, then they'll either be career AHL'ers or go to Europe.

TBF, though, Tracey and Perreault both had lower rankings as prospects. Snuggerud had a high ranking as a prospect going into the draft.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
What a year for Gaucher's trophy case

Mike Bossy Trophy for Best Prospect in the QMJHL at the end of last season
Guy Carbonneau Trophy for Best Defensive Forward in the QMJHL this year
2 World Junior Gold Medals
1 Gilles-Corteau Trophy for winning the QMJHL playoffs

And now he's got a shot at adding the Memorial Cup to that list as well

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Quebec wins a thriller to win the series and move on to the Memorial Cup.

Gaucher: 0 points, +1, 1 shot, 0 hits, 3/13 on face-offs. Extends his pointless streak to 7 games.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So the lesson learned is not to bother trading pending free agents for #1 picks? Because those picks will always be late. At #22 the Ducks got a relatively high 1st round pick from a playoff team. Or is the lesson to be ultra-conservative with those picks and just take guys that you know can play on the 4th line? Or is the lesson to get better scouts or have a better drafting philosophy?
The lesson is adjust your expectations accordingly. And yeah, find the scouts who can buck the 70 year trend or whatever, sure.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Or it could just be a preference of a new GM trying to create a vision. We'll see how he drafts with the 33rd pick overall.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The lesson is adjust your expectations accordingly. And yeah, find the scouts who can buck the 70 year trend or whatever, sure.
Actually I think the best answer is for the Ducks to stop drafting forwards outside of the top 10 b/c they have been so horrifically incompetent at it.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
When Madden top60(1st to 2nd round) picks fall very short of expectations or bust it is usually all forwards. Fall short of expectations: Ritchie, Steel, Jones, Comtois.

Busts: Holland, Morand, Etem, Pelley Smith, Nattentin. Colangelo trending to this list. How many Dmen busts or fell very short of expectations ? Larsson and Mat Clark.

Dmen drafted between 1st to 2nd round under Madden have a insane rate of panning out lol. Only Larsson/Clark is a massive disappointment that I know of. Pettersson and Montour were 2 rounders in 2014.

When has a Madden era forward in 2nd round of draft panned out besides William Karlsson ? Comtois is about to bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomd
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I will still stick to my guns on defending Gaucher because we have no other prospect with his skill set

On the drafting ‘misses’ that’s another topic that’s been discussed here and there. I’ve never been overly impressed with Maddens drafting pedigree. It seems like we do miss much more often than we ‘hit’ on some players. Whether it’s the prospect or the scouting staff, I’m not sure who’s to blame.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if Madden was let go really and someone else was brought in

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Quebec wins a thriller to win the series and move on to the Memorial Cup.

Gaucher: 0 points, +1, 1 shot, 0 hits, 3/13 on face-offs. Extends his pointless streak to 7 games.
On the plus side now you get to watch him at the memorial cup.

Actually I think the best answer is for the Ducks to stop drafting forwards outside of the top 10 b/c they have been so horrifically incompetent at it.
I dont think thats a good answer...

I actually didnt mind the Perreault pick and i still dont mind it, none of the picks after him are torching the NHL right now(brisson/Greig/Bourque)

Colangelo on paper seemed like an alright pick, maybe a little high... prob woulda went with Borderleau but i think colangelo was the right type of foward that we needed.

Tracey pick i was always against, seemed like a reach and dint seem like tracey brought much to the table... i also really liked Kaliyev and Pinto there Hoglander there.

But honestly most of the picks after all these guys havnt really done much yet either, ill give most of them another year or 2 before i throw in the flag.

And as for Gaucher.. if he is a guy that can play NHL mins and be a good bottom 6'er for us when we start competing again, im alright with the pick... i dont love it but its something.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If you want to do a search you'll find that I have posted many times that Tracey, Perreault, and Colangelo all look like busts/underperformers and that the Ducks have massively missed on those high picks. I've been critical of LaCombe as well at times. And, of course, I've given praise where due.
If you treated them like gaucher we would not have to do research because it never would have ended.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I’ll get to watch Zellweger play the Petes on Sunday and Gaucher take on the Thunderbirds on Monday, super excited to get to see an event like this in person with 2 prominent Ducks prospects. Kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity that somehow everything lined up like this.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The Memorial Cup field is now set: Kamloops (Zellweger), Quebec (Gaucher), Seattle, and McTavish's old buddies in Peterborough. I would guess that Seattle are the favorites, as they have quite a few high picks and a great goalie. Tournament starts on Friday, May 26.
Seattle has one of the most stacked junior teams in CHL history. They have like 6 1st rounders on their team. It’s insane.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
We were talking about Gaucher on the Quebec Remparts message board and we all agreed that he looks gassed. In the final, he was still an important part of the team, especially defensively and physically, but he didn't have the same jump he usually has offensively. He has played A LOT of hockey over the past 15 months and he had a lot of great things happening to him. QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs, Anaheim's development camp, Canada U20 camp, August WJC, Remparts camp, Anaheim's camp, QMJHL season, December WJC, QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs... anyone would be tired physically and mentally!

At the end of the day, it's not that important but I think he should have had an assist on the tying goal. It looks like he makes the back pass while he's down.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I will still stick to my guns on defending Gaucher because we have no other prospect with his skill set

On the drafting ‘misses’ that’s another topic that’s been discussed here and there. I’ve never been overly impressed with Maddens drafting pedigree. It seems like we do miss much more often than we ‘hit’ on some players. Whether it’s the prospect or the scouting staff, I’m not sure who’s to blame.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if Madden was let go really and someone else was brought in
I do think we have a very solid but not great amateur scouting. Lets take the last 10 years out of the. From the high 1st round picks really only Ritchie was a miss. From the lower 1sts I thing we often prefer safe vs reward. And while I love Lundy we end up with players like him. Gaucher is the same mold. The weakness comes clearly from the forward side.

When you look at the Ds we drafted in the first 3 rounds over the last 10 years

Minty, Warren, Luneau, Olen, Hinds, JamieD, Moore, Pettersson, Montour, Theo - only Larsson was a shitty pick.

I do also think we do not so great with goalies, especially the ones in the low rounds.

Overall I think we have our strengths but I do also think there are as good or better drafting teams out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad