Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I do think we have a very solid but not great amateur scouting. Lets take the last 10 years out of the. From the high 1st round picks really only Ritchie was a miss. From the lower 1sts I thing we often prefer safe vs reward. And while I love Lundy we end up with players like him. Gaucher is the same mold. The weakness comes clearly from the forward side.

When you look at the Ds we drafted in the first 3 rounds over the last 10 years

Minty, Warren, Luneau, Olen, Hinds, JamieD, Moore, Pettersson, Montour, Theo - only Larsson was a shitty pick.

I do also think we do not so great with goalies, especially the ones in the low rounds.

Overall I think we have our strengths but I do also think there are as good or better drafting teams out there.

Larsson is such a sad case. I genuinely think he would have been Lindholmn-lite if he hadn't gotten hurt in his D+1. He looked so good in the SHL.

This is the Eichel crap all over again.

There are some people on here about due to eat some crow on that one.

What are you talking about?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I will still stick to my guns on defending Gaucher because we have no other prospect with his skill set

On the drafting ‘misses’ that’s another topic that’s been discussed here and there. I’ve never been overly impressed with Maddens drafting pedigree. It seems like we do miss much more often than we ‘hit’ on some players. Whether it’s the prospect or the scouting staff, I’m not sure who’s to blame.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if Madden was let go really and someone else was brought in

Here's a team draft ranking success from 2005 - 2016, written by Wheeler in 2021. This article doesn't support your thought as it ranks the Ducks 5th in GSVA wins and Ducks 4th in best teams drafting outside the first round.

2017 draft was a dud, but we also didn't have a first round pick.

2018 has potentially three players that could be NHL regulars in C Lundy, G Dostal, and C Groulx.

2019 has lots of intrigue. Three notable players are C Zegras, D LaCombe, and D Thrun. We're still waiting on LW Tracey.

2020 has three potential players that could stick at the NHL level in D Drysdale, RW Perreault, and RD Moore.

2021 draft class was a great draft class: C McTavish, D Zellweger, RW Pastujov, and D Hinds
McTavish won WJC-20 MVP, Zellweger won best D for WHL two years in a row, and Hinds won best defensive D for QMJHL.

2022 draft class top two rounds looks like a hit: D Mintyukov, C Gaucher, D Warren, and D Luneau. Minty won best d award for OHL and Luneau won best d award for QMJHL.

Reactions: lwvs84

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I do think we have a very solid but not great amateur scouting. Lets take the last 10 years out of the. From the high 1st round picks really only Ritchie was a miss.
I agree that Ritchie was a miss, but: a) Ritchie was a consensus top ten draft choice, we just got stuck with him at the number 10 position, and b) as bad as he is as a player, Ritchie has played 481 NHL games according to Cap Friendly. That is an awful lot of NHL games for a "bust". In reality Ritchie was a disappointment for where he was picked in the draft. But he turned out to have a career as an NHL player. I certainly would not be surprised to see some team sign him for this coming season.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I agree that Ritchie was a miss, but: a) Ritchie was a consensus top ten draft choice, we just got stuck with him at the number 10 position, and b) as bad as he is as a player, Ritchie has played 481 NHL games according to Cap Friendly. That is an awful lot of NHL games for a "bust". In reality Ritchie was a disappointment for where he was picked in the draft. But he turned out to have a career as an NHL player. I certainly would not be surprised to see some team sign him for this coming season.
I hope whoever signs him likes taking dumb offensive zone penalties.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

That is why I called it a miss. He was for sure no bust, based on what you said.

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We were talking about Gaucher on the Quebec Remparts message board and we all agreed that he looks gassed. In the final, he was still an important part of the team, especially defensively and physically, but he didn't have the same jump he usually has offensively. He has played A LOT of hockey over the past 15 months and he had a lot of great things happening to him. QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs, Anaheim's development camp, Canada U20 camp, August WJC, Remparts camp, Anaheim's camp, QMJHL season, December WJC, QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs... anyone would be tired physically and mentally!

At the end of the day, it's not that important but I think he should have had an assist on the tying goal. It looks like he makes the back pass while he's down.

Thanks, these are really helpful updates!

I wonder about the being "gassed" thing...he was injured and did not play for a full month from mid-February to mid-March. In that sense he should be fresher than most of the players in the playoffs...unless he is still having issues with the injury. Without knowing much about the Halifax team, the other possibility is that he just can't keep up with their team speed and so he looks tired. It does take more energy to play defense and be physical as opposed to playing in the offensive zone. If he was still contributing in those areas then it well may be that he just couldn't keep up the pace of the game on offense. Thoughts?

Reactions: Kalv

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
We were talking about Gaucher on the Quebec Remparts message board and we all agreed that he looks gassed. In the final, he was still an important part of the team, especially defensively and physically, but he didn't have the same jump he usually has offensively. He has played A LOT of hockey over the past 15 months and he had a lot of great things happening to him. QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs, Anaheim's development camp, Canada U20 camp, August WJC, Remparts camp, Anaheim's camp, QMJHL season, December WJC, QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs... anyone would be tired physically and mentally!

At the end of the day, it's not that important but I think he should have had an assist on the tying goal. It looks like he makes the back pass while he's down.

its funny how they scored the game tying and game winning goals on Gaucher errors. One on him being stripped of the puck and one on him breaking his stick and not being able to clear it out properly. Thats puck luck I guess.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
its funny how they scored the game tying and game winning goals on Gaucher errors. One on him being stripped of the puck and one on him breaking his stick and not being able to clear it out properly. Thats puck luck I guess.

He created that chance on the tying goal with his rush. His teammate Gaudet was wide open because the defense followed Gaucher. He had a lucky bounce despite the bad luck with the broken stick after.

Judge

May 23, 2023
The Maritimes
Hi there, new to the HF Ducks scene (well not really, but it's been awhile)

I apologize if there is an easy answer I don't see or if I'm in the wrong section, but is there an organized list of the prospects/players in the Ducks organization? Maybe like an "Under 25" type of list as I'm interested in seeing the AHL pipeline after a busy and quite honestly frantic period of junior hockey from 2020-2022

You'd be surprised what a Google search of "anaheim ducks prospect list" brings up ... Some sites still include McTavish ... Some sites don't even list Olen Zellweger (that I don't even understand)

Thanks in advance and if such a list does not exist, well sucks to be me and I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Hockey News following the draft this Summer!

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I apologize if there is an easy answer I don't see or if I'm in the wrong section, but is there an organized list of the prospects/players in the Ducks organization? Maybe like an "Under 25" type of list as I'm interested in seeing the AHL pipeline after a busy and quite honestly frantic period of junior hockey from 2020-2022

You'd be surprised what a Google search of "anaheim ducks prospect list" brings up ... Some sites still include McTavish ... Some sites don't even list Olen Zellweger (that I don't even understand)

Thanks in advance and if such a list does not exist, well sucks to be me and I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Hockey News following the draft this Summer!

Not again Duckgo :sarcasm:

You can find our top 20 prospect ranking from the fall and add the guys we traded for.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

The Ducks' website used to have an "In the System" tab. It's still there, but the page doesn't work anymore. I guess you could go to CapFriendly and look at the "Non-Roster" list at the bottom of the Ducks' page for signed prospects and you can click the "Reserve List" tab for unsigned prospects.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Here's Wheeler's Prospect Pool Ranking for Anaheim, published in Feb 2023: link.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Here's a team draft ranking success from 2005 - 2016, written by Wheeler in 2021. This article doesn't support your thought as it ranks the Ducks 5th in GSVA wins and Ducks 4th in best teams drafting outside the first round.

2017 draft was a dud, but we also didn't have a first round pick.

2018 has potentially three players that could be NHL regulars in C Lundy, G Dostal, and C Groulx.

2019 has lots of intrigue. Three notable players are C Zegras, D LaCombe, and D Thrun. We're still waiting on LW Tracey.

2020 has three potential players that could stick at the NHL level in D Drysdale, RW Perreault, and RD Moore.

2021 draft class was a great draft class: C McTavish, D Zellweger, RW Pastujov, and D Hinds
McTavish won WJC-20 MVP, Zellweger won best D for WHL two years in a row, and Hinds won best defensive D for QMJHL.

2022 draft class top two rounds looks like a hit: D Mintyukov, C Gaucher, D Warren, and D Luneau. Minty won best d award for OHL and Luneau won best d award for QMJHL.

HD, I typically agree with your takes. I don’t know if my pessimistic view of this team this year and last clouds my judgement - but looking at your draft review here, it doesn’t support your argument.

I don’t want to break down each draft year, but guys like Groulx, Thrun, Tracey, Perreault, (arguably) Pastujov and Lundestrom are all guys that either I’m not fully excited on, or I’m still waiting on them to ‘break out’ (will Moore even sign?)

Again, I don’t know if that is Maddens MO, or if that’s the direction the GM wants to take. 2021 and 2022 are a step in the right direction, but this 2023 draft needs to be extremely forward reliant

Reactions: RakAttack

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
HD, I typically agree with your takes. I don’t know if my pessimistic view of this team this year and last clouds my judgement - but looking at your draft review here, it doesn’t support your argument.

I don’t want to break down each draft year, but guys like Groulx, Thrun, Tracey, Perreault, (arguably) Pastujov and Lundestrom are all guys that either I’m not fully excited on, or I’m still waiting on them to ‘break out’ (will Moore even sign?)

Again, I don’t know if that is Maddens MO, or if that’s the direction the GM wants to take. 2021 and 2022 are a step in the right direction, but this 2023 draft needs to be extremely forward reliant
Thrun isn’t even a Ducks prospect anymore… and Pastujov definitely broke out this season

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA

I think Hockey Duckie is more talking about general draft success and likelihood of the Ducks' picks to make it as NHL players in general (objective consideration). What you're talking about seems to be more of a subjective quality of picks and how they might fit into the roster.

I agree on not being that excited about some of the F prospects...3rd/4th line guys aren't nearly as fun as potential top-six, and outside of maybe Pastujov, who might be really interesting in a couple of years, most of the non-McTavish/Zegras players are likely in that lower grouping.

I still think we should be fairly happy, in that, including this year's draft pick, they're sort of set on 4 out of 6 top-6 spots (McT, Terry, Z, likely Fantilli). That seems pretty good to me. Role players are still important, and they seem pretty solid on some of those as well...Lundy, Groulx, Gaucher combined with others already in our system (Vatrano, Strome, Jones, Henrique for 1 more year, Nesterenko maybe, Leason, Regenda?).

Back to Pasta, while he's far from fleet-of-foot, I think his playmaking skills that he's apparently been developing could be pretty interesting if they balance the line with a speedy guy like Fantilli. Make Fantilli the 2-way center on a line with Z LW and Pasta RW and we could see a lot of goals.

On the D front, I think we're very close to being there as a complete roster. They have a ton of picks, and a bunch of promising players in the pipeline as we know. The balance might not be quite there, as it looks definitely offensive-minded-heavy (Zell, Minty, Drysdale, Fowler), but while we don't have any crazy big/physical guys (outside of Warren if he ends up playing that physical style), we have a bunch of responsible players (LaCombe, Helleson, Luneau, Hinds) that can help balance things pretty well IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think Hockey Duckie is more talking about general draft success and likelihood of the Ducks' picks to make it as NHL players in general (objective consideration). What you're talking about seems to be more of a subjective quality of picks and how they might fit into the roster.

What @branmuffin17 shared. My reply was to this statement:

On the drafting ‘misses’ that’s another topic that’s been discussed here and there. I’ve never been overly impressed with Maddens drafting pedigree. It seems like we do miss much more often than we ‘hit’ on some players. Whether it’s the prospect or the scouting staff, I’m not sure who’s to blame.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if Madden was let go really and someone else was brought in

The conversation went from "misses" to "guys that either I'm not fully excited on, or I'm still waiting on them to 'breakout' (will Moore even sign?)" I think you forgot your own initial argument.

I'm just looking at drafted players and those players potential to make it to the NHL, regardless if they stick with us or not b/c our scouting staff identified them. Thrun didn't want to sign, but did debut with an NHL club. Moore is still an unknown quantity to sign. Thrun and Moore have received praises from both Murray and Verbeek. Thrun was a 4th round pick and Moore a 3rd round pick.

I think it's unfair to treat picks outside the top-10 like they should be top-10 pick talents. Also, it's disingenuous to exclude the top-10 picks in Zegras, Drysdale, and McTavish. In 2019, we could have ended up with Turcotte or Broberg instead of Zegras.

The mass media have often cited Anaheim being great at drafting due to their success of putting up NHLers. It would seem foolish to get rid of Madden because of feelings as opposed to objective facts.

- Very good at top-10 picks
- Great at drafting defensemen
- Great at identifying goalies

Reactions: Boo Boo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad