Prospect Info: 2022-2023 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 06.04.2023)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In today's NHL, when thinking about the likelihood of a prospect making it, in this case Cuylle, I hate reading that their issue is skating.

The thing is, Cuylle — is — a good skater for someone his size and he has good hands.

But what it comes down to is basically that for so many that does make it, skating is one of their absolute biggest strength. This is what fools many. “X is not a bad skater”. But is X one of the best skaters among all players born the same year as him in the world? If you check that criteria — then skating is not an issue. If you don’t, skating will be an issue. For most.

I am extremely high on Berard for this reason. He skates well enough. Because he is one of the best skaters in his age group.

What I am wrestling with is trying to determine what makes someone like say Alex Killorn make it and be effective in the NHL? Because for every Alex Killorn that makes it, it seems like there are 20 high talent high picks that doesn’t come close to being ‘that’ effective.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The thing is, Cuylle — is — a good skater for someone his size and he has good hands.

But what it comes down to is basically that for so many that does make it, skating is one of their absolute biggest strength. This is what fools many. “X is not a bad skater”. But is X one of the best skaters among all players born the same year as him in the world? If you check that criteria — then skating is not an issue. If you don’t, skating will be an issue. For most.

I am extremely high on Berard for this reason. He skates well enough. Because he is one of the best skaters in his age group.

What I am wrestling with is trying to determine what makes someone like say Alex Killorn make it and be effective in the NHL? Because for every Alex Killorn that makes it, it seems like there are 20 high talent high picks that doesn’t come close to being ‘that’ effective.
Quick and smart decision maker.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Quick and smart decision maker.

Yeah, and just for the record, I would definitely label Cuylle as a 1st round talent, and it’s the same with Sykora.

To rank these guys down to an individual order you come down to a bunch of aspects of which the importance of many definitely can be questioned. Style, a skill set that you want to see at a certain position. And so forth. But the NHL isn’t black and white. A PF can be a playmaker and not a scorer, and so forth.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd like to add to @Ola , it's also anticipating the play and getting into the "rhythm" and "flow" of the game. Knowing where the puck is going to be, where other players are, and how to react to the instant changes on an NHL shift.

Someone like Zibanejad can seamlessly transition from offense to backchecking if his pass is intercepted or his linemattes turn the puck over or mishandle a pass.

When I went to a preseason game in 2019m Kaako struggled mightily with that. He was Jagr in the offensive zone with the puck, but when it was turned over or the other team started going the other way, he wasn't in the rhythm of the situation. He's gotten better, but is nowhere near where like a Ziba is. Laf has gotten better at this much quicker than Kaako.

Cullye kind of got it last preseason, but to do so he had to compensate and give up his physicality on his shifts and his special sauce. It's not alarming at all as he was super young. If he wants to make the team this year, this is a key element he'll have to show he has improved in with maturity, time, man strength, etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'd like to add to @Ola , it's also anticipating the play and getting into the "rhythm" and "flow" of the game. Knowing where the puck is going to be, where other players are, and how to react to the instant changes on an NHL shift.

Someone like Zibanejad can seamlessly transition from offense to backchecking if his pass is intercepted or his linemattes turn the puck over or mishandle a pass.

When I went to a preseason game in 2019m Kaako struggled mightily with that. He was Jagr in the offensive zone with the puck, but when it was turned over or the other team started going the other way, he wasn't in the rhythm of the situation. He's gotten better, but is nowhere near where like a Ziba is. Laf has gotten better at this much quicker than Kaako.

Cullye kind of got it last preseason, but to do so he had to compensate and give up his physicality on his shifts and his special sauce. It's not alarming at all as he was super young. If he wants to make the team this year, this is a key element he'll have to show he has improved in with maturity, time, man strength, etc.

Yeah, and this is also an extreme adjustment for Ds coming from Europe. When the play turns, to keep up in NA you must basically be able to “cheat” a bit and head home at full speed before it’s definite in which direction the puck is heading. In Europe, you can definitely often let a situation play out and still keep a solid gap.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, and this is also an extreme adjustment for Ds coming from Europe. When the play turns, to keep up in NA you must basically be able to “cheat” a bit and head home at full speed before it’s definite in which direction the puck is heading. In Europe, you can definitely often let a situation play out and still keep a solid gap.
A lot of younger players get lost too much. You have to be able to adjust and adapt on the fly. Other weaknesses can factor in. It is tough for an undersized still filling out defenseman to defend well against bigger and stronger forwards. Defense is a harder position to play well to begin with. Guys like Fox and Makar are really outliers. They don’t necessarily need extra support from their partners. Fox has figured out how to win board battles without outmuscling his opponent. His defensive and stick positioning is exceptional. Not many smaller D are ever going to get to where he is now as far as defending in their own zone. It’s one of the reasons he’s won a Norris already. He’s not a one way guy.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

hockey iq is the lazy answer, but i think esp for heavier footed guys its how quickly you react and gain control of a situation. fox would be the gold standard example in how he almost always is able to corral pucks anywhere around him...from a standstill in traffic, on the boards, passes behind or in his feet, pucks fired right at him etc..and for him its almost instantaneous. from the moment he moves on the puck its controlled and he is aware of every option available and balanced enough to move any direction. doesnt matter how much traffic hes standing in or if hes put in a tight spot with a defender closing fast.
its also about how quickly and effectively you close on guys. you have to be natural closing on pucks, picking the moment and being on the right side. i guess id describe it as guys with hockey instinct - its not quite iq - that plays a role but i look for guys who are natural at just playing the game situationally. being comfortable on the ice no matter the situation. othmann is a guy i think scores very high in this area. gauthier is an example of someone who doesnt even register. chytil is also pretty poor here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
hockey iq is the lazy answer, but i think esp for heavier footed guys its how quickly you react and gain control of a situation. fox would be the gold standard example in how he almost always is able to corral pucks anywhere around him...from a standstill in traffic, on the boards, passes behind or in his feet, pucks fired right at him etc..and for him its almost instantaneous. from the moment he moves on the puck its controlled and he is aware of every option available and balanced enough to move any direction. doesnt matter how much traffic hes standing in or if hes put in a tight spot with a defender closing fast.
its also about how quickly and effectively you close on guys. you have to be natural closing on pucks, picking the moment and being on the right side. i guess id describe it as guys with hockey instinct - its not quite iq - that plays a role but i look for guys who are natural at just playing the game situationally. being comfortable on the ice no matter the situation. othmann is a guy i think scores very high in this area. gauthier is an example of someone who doesnt even register. chytil is also pretty poor here.

Adam's hockey brain is always running. It's anticipating all the time. I thought it was interesting what Braden Schneider told Matthew Robertson. You have to be in the play....going with the flow....moving the puck quickly.....that includes making the safe play, not putting the puck in bad spots when you do move it. Much harder to do with somebody bearing down on you. On the other side as important are the things you do when the other team has the puck to stop their plays from happening and to get the puck back. Pretty much every team has players that can make you look bad. This is another area that is a bigger problem for younger D.

Guys like Nils and Zac are quicker moving the puck but Braden and Robertson are more defense oriented and their size and strength comes in handy in defensive situations. Braden I think stood out the most because he was the closest to a hybrid between those two things. He could move the puck quick enough. K'Andre has become top notch at both.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Adam's hockey brain is always running. It's anticipating all the time. I thought it was interesting what Braden Schneider told Matthew Robertson. You have to be in the play....going with the flow....moving the puck quickly.....that includes making the safe play, not putting the puck in bad spots when you do move it. Much harder to do with somebody bearing down on you. On the other side as important are the things you do when the other team has the puck to stop their plays from happening and to get the puck back. Pretty much every team has players that can make you look bad. This is another area that is a bigger problem for younger D.

Guys like Nils and Zac are quicker moving the puck but Braden and Robertson are more defense oriented and their size and strength comes in handy in defensive situations. Braden I think stood out the most because he was the closest to a hybrid between those two things. He could move the puck quick enough. K'Andre has become top notch at both.

agree with all this, but i was trying to get at more of a technical element of the game on quick plays. being able to react and control loose pucks that get redirected to a guys area unexpectedly, being able to take a puck out of a scrum and have it on your stick ready to move quickly, adjusting to a deflected pass to control and get a good shot off. the defensive side plays into it, but what i meant to get at was this ability, esp for guys who arent especially quick, being a differentiator. from that point theres an iq spectrum of how creative guys are or arent. but just that fundamental skill - gaining control and in a balanced position to not limit options ie if you have to reach get your feet back under you and head back up - on quick plays and moving to a position to find any play is critical. stopping and controlling pucks quickly coming around the wall consistently. being very sound at those things combined with at least decent hockey iq i see as what can separate the less physically gifted that make it in the nhl and dont. obviously that kinda role also typically carries physical and defensive expectations, but i think this is an overlooked quality for the most part

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Were there any in depth prospect camp write ups? I'm curious how all the prospects did. I'm guessing Sykora did well enough to earn that ELC right away.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Were there any in depth prospect camp write ups? I'm curious how all the prospects did. I'm guessing Sykora did well enough to earn that ELC right away.
not that i've seen

lightweight predictable articles from Staple and Vince, some tweets from Mollie and Colin,
but most mentions restricted to heralded/known guys Othmann, Cuylle, Robertson, Trivigno, Berard and Garand

and the not unexpected comments about Rempe's height and Lindbom's scrimmage injury

would have appreciated any interesting comments about the lesser known attendees, such as
- the "other brothers" Keane, Berard, Fantilli
- guys coming to NYR camp like Korczak, Edstrom, Scanlin, Henault
- recent draftees with lower profiles - Ciccolini, Hughes, Aaltonen, Kjellberg, Tarnstrom,Boyko, Ollas, Grubbe,Lamb
- '22 draftees beyond Sylora - MBB, Barbashov, Laba (scrimmage goal earned a mention) Mancini Karpa

perhaps none earned such mention ...

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have one prospect in the top 50

33. Brennan Othmann, LW, 19 (New York Rangers — No. 16, 2021)

Othmann silenced some critics in his post-draft season, becoming one of the OHL’s most consistent (there were some, in his rookie year in the OHL and his draft year in the second-tier Swiss League who questioned his consistency and his habits, with suggestions of selfishness) and prolific forwards. He was one of the league’s two 50-goal scorers, finishing second in goals behind the elder Luke Evangelista, and he did it on a Flint team where he outproduced his nearest teammate by a pretty remarkable 47 points (121 to 74) across the regular season and playoffs.

He’s got a strong, masked release that he can shoot from his blade from multiple release points while still maintaining pinpoint accuracy. He’s got a silky first touch into quick hands. He’s got that sixth sense as a scorer, where he just finds holes in coverage and in goalies to finish plays at a higher rate than most.

He’s got a heady spatial awareness inside the offensive zone and a good feel for where his teammates are on the ice. With the puck on his stick and quick hands one-on-one, he created a ton this year out of attacking cuts into the slot with Flint. He also wore the “C” which contrasts against some of the ways folks have talked about him in the past. Othmann plays a determined off-puck game that engages in battles even though he’s not a power type.

And he has worked hard to get stronger and a step quicker so that he can make the most out of his natural gifts on the ice. He’s got top-six, top power-play tools. Now it’s just about continuing to hone and tap into them while continuing to round out his game. The talent is clearly there.

Honourable mentions (sorted alphabetically): Calen Addison (MIN), Jonathan Berggren (DET), Zachary Bolduc (STL), Brendan Brisson (VGK), Philip Broberg (EDM), William Dufour (NYI), Luke Evangelista (NSH), Brock Faber (MIN), Sean Farrell (MTL), David Goyette (SEA), Jordan Harris (MTL), Ville Heinola (WPG), Zac Jones (NYR), Marco Kasper (DET), Matt Knies (TOR), Jiri Kulich (BUF), Carson Lambos (MIN), Nils Lundkvist (NYR), Fabian Lysell (BOS), Filip Mesar (MTL), Pavel Mintyukov (ANA), Noah Ostlund (BUF), Jakob Pelletier (CGY), JJ Peterka (BUF), Shane Pinto (OTT), Joshua Roy (MTL), Victor Soderstrom (ARZ), Jordan Spence (LAK), Alex Turcotte (LAK), Cam York (PHI).

Wyatt Johnson is 32nd.

Wheeler has too many players from 2022 rated a little too high.

Brad Lambert at #22. Really? Isaac Howard at #25?

Love the comments.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers have one prospect in the top 50

Wyatt Johnson is 32nd.

Wheeler has too many players from 2022 rated a little too high.

Brad Lambert at #22. Really? Isaac Howard at #25?

Love the comments.

In typical Scott Wheeler fashion, you're ranked higher if you were drafted more recently. Nothing new here. Just another episode in the "Look at me, I have a ranking too" series that dominates every off-season. Hard to keep track of these.

At least they're not as ridiculous as clowns like Patrick Bacon claiming to rank 1000+ prospects for the draft :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In typical Scott Wheeler fashion, you're ranked higher if you were drafted more recently. Nothing new here. Just another episode in the "Look at me, I have a ranking too" series that dominates every off-season. Hard to keep track of these.

At least they're not as ridiculous as clowns like Patrick Bacon claiming to rank 1000+ prospects for the draft :laugh:
Yeah I know different people have different perspectives on rankings, but I'm usually okay with a top-75, maybe a top-100 if you're a professional and it's your job to watch the kids. When you start trying to rank several hundred players, unless you have a whole team of scouts, it's pretty ridiculous. And honestly beyond the top 50 or so (arbitrary number, I know), you're usually just talking about tiers of guys--like there's not going to be much difference between someone ranked 180 and 210 or whatever.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Yeah I know different people have different perspectives on rankings, but I'm usually okay with a top-75, maybe a top-100 if you're a professional and it's your job to watch the kids. When you start trying to rank several hundred players, unless you have a whole team of scouts, it's pretty ridiculous. And honestly beyond the top 50 or so (arbitrary number, I know), you're usually just talking about tiers of guys--like there's not going to be much difference between someone ranked 180 and 210 or whatever.
Nils Lundqvist was listed as an honorable mention so Rangers would have 2 in top 75.

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
Wheeler's list is f***ing shit lol.

It is every year. I respect the hustle (as I do with Pronman) but those guys are not good at their jobs.
when he begins two consecutive paragraphs with "He's got", I also question his intelligence.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Wheeler had Garand ranked 7th on his goalies list, says he’s going back to the WHL next season, feel like we assumed he was going to Hartford?

His team is hosting the Memorial Cup, so cool for him if he stays in juniors to compete in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad