Rumor: 2022-2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: STILL searching for a 2C

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You forgot carryover bonuses and we need a 2C. Rantanen will not play center, as seen as recently as yesterday.

If we manage to trade G strictly for futures (might be tough to do) and replace him with a 1M dman (yikes), that leaves us 4M. At least half of it is going for this years' bonuses, which leaves us 2M for a 2C. Still doesn't work.
Which bonuses?

Seems doubtful any of the ELCs hit their bonus targets.

I expect the Avs to have Behrens playing next season on the 3rd pairing which may make a Girard trade more plausible.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Which bonuses?

Seems doubtful any of the ELCs hit their bonus targets.
Both Byram and Newhook can still get plenty of bonuses:

Only 42 games required for many of them.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Both Byram and Newhook can still get plenty of bonuses:

Only 42 games required for many of them.

I see Byram getting the TOI A-Level bonus if he returns.

That's pretty much it from that list. Newhook isn't touching those levels production/TOI wise and Byram isn't touching those production requirements.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I see Byram getting the TOI A-Level bonus if he returns.

That's pretty much it from that list. Newhook isn't touching those levels production/TOI wise and Byram isn't touching those production requirements.
Newhook (if he stays healthy):
top 6 TOI in total

Byram (depending on when he comes back):
Top 4 average ice time
10 goals
25 assists
top 3 +/- among dmen.

Those are worth 250k each. I agree that 2M was too much though, it will probably be 750k or less. Unless I'm forgetting some bonuses for other players.

That’s not a contract I want to be tied down to.
IMO that's a good contract for him, he'd be paid like a good 3rd liner and he's more than that.

We just can't afford it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Newhook (if he stays healthy):
top 6 TOI in total

Byram (depending on when he comes back):
Top 4 average ice time
10 goals
25 assists
top 3 +/- among dmen.

Those are worth 250k each. I agree that 2M was too much though, it will probably be 750k or less. Unless I'm forgetting some bonuses for other players.
Newhook isn't touching top 6 TOI total. He is 6th currently and that is because Rodrigues missed time. Rodrigues will pass him by the end of the season 100%.

Byram has 5 points in 10 games and we probably aren't seeing him until around game 50. So unless you expect the guy to score at basically PPG level upon his return, he isn't touching those scoring totals either. He is also 4th in +/- amongst D.

IMO he has a realstic shot of reaching TOI and +/- bonus, that is it but that is also if he even plays the minimum amount of games. He needs to play 32 of the final 44 games to be eligible. Call me skeptical, I don't think he plays that many games.

There is a strong possibility Avs don't deal with Byram/Newhook bonuses next year

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Newhook isn't touching top 6 TOI total. He is 6th currently and that is because Rodrigues missed time. Rodrigues will pass him by the end of the season 100%.

Byram has 5 points in 10 games and we probably aren't seeing him until around game 50. So unless you expect the guy to score at basically PPG level upon his return, he isn't touching those scoring totals either. He is also 4th in +/- amongst D.

IMO he has a realstic shot of reaching TOI and +/- bonus, that is it but that is also if he even plays the minimum amount of games. He needs to play 32 of the final 44 games to be eligible. Call me skeptical, I don't think he plays that many games.

There is a strong possibility Avs don't deal with Byram/Newhook bonuses next year
I'd rather budget for them and having a surplus than the opposite.

Byram needs 8 goals or 22 assists. It's doable if he plays ~40 games, especially if the Avs finally start getting hot offensively when the injured players are back.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd rather budget for them and having a surplus than the opposite.

Byram needs 8 goals or 22 assists. It's doable if he plays ~40 games, especially if the Avs finally start getting hot offensively when the injured players are back.
I think it's doable based on his talent level. I don't think it's doable based on his injury concerns. If Byram wants to be eligible for these bonuses the absolute latest he can return is February 11th against Florida. That gives him just over a month to get healthy enough to play. From what we supposedly know, he hasn't even been skating.

Of course you budget and are happy when there's a surplus. I just think it's easy to see from now the Avs likely won't have to deal with Byram/Newhook bonuses based on what's been happening with those two players all season.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If ERod keeps going the way he is playing he is certainly pricing himself out of our next year lineup. He has 18 pts in 27 games but remember he had 0 pt in the first 4 games while he was adjusting to the team and Bednar's system. He has 18 pts in the last 23 games which is .78/pgm pace. He has also been very consistent as well which is uncharacteristic of him. Hopefully he doesn't go into one of his slump especially in the playoffs.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Try to solve the #2C spot at all cost.

The bottom six can be a collection of cheap depth even if it's not ideal, fix it by the deadline.

Reactions: Azrael89

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You forgot carryover bonuses and we need a 2C. Rantanen will not play center, as seen as recently as yesterday.

If we manage to trade G strictly for futures (might be tough to do) and replace him with a 1M dman (yikes), that leaves us 4M. At least half of it is going for this years' bonuses, which leaves us 2M for a 2C. Still doesn't work.
Correct, I've painted to rosiest picture I could and it still doesn't work. The cap crunch is going to be insane.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Would Buffalo be a good target for a Girard trade? Them or Nashville maybe. Buffalo has a lot of impressive young forward talent - Peterka, Krebs, Kulich, Rosen, etc. with Cozens and Thompson already their #1 & 2 Cs.

I know they have Dahlin and Power but I think Girard would still be an attractive option for them

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What would people think about a Girard for Kevin Hayes straight swap where the Flyers eat $2,142,857?

It essentially allows them to continue paying the same money for Girard that they would Hayes for the duration of his contract, only they remove Hayes and add a defensemen.

I don't know if Philadelphia would go for it, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

EDIT: If something like that were to happen, the Avs could in theory be looking at the following next season:

Lehkonen (4.5M) - MacKinnon (12.6M) - Rantanen (9.25M)
Landeskog (7M) - Hayes (5M) - Nichushkin (6.125M)
XXXXXXXXXX - XXXXXXXXXX - XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX - Foudy (847K) - O'Connor (1.05M)
MacDermid (987K)

Toews (4.1M) - Makar (9M)
Byram (2.5M) - Manson (4.5M)
Behrens (925K - XXXXXXXXXX

Georgiev (3.4M)
Francouz (2M)

A couple of notes:

1) As I've said based on his health concerns I fully expect the Avs to play hardball with Byram and bridge him. I'm thinking 2 years, 2.5M per. Maybe a bit low but that's my prediction.

2) I'm wondering if the Avs don't try to move on from Pavel Francouz this summer and opt for a cheaper backup. Goaltenders like Jaroslav Halak, Kevin Lankinen, Joonas Korpisalo, Thomas Greiss, and Anthony Stolarz are all UFAs this summer and all currently have contracts for less than 2M. Could be a way the Avs try to save some money if they envision Georgiev as a 60-start man.

3) Based on the above and Francouz still being here, the Avs would have 9.715M to find a 3rd line, 4th line LW and 3rd pair RHD. Assuming they'd bring Erik Johnson back for 1M and they find a 4th line LW for 1M, that leaves 7.715M for a 3rd line. Not impossible to find a decent 3rd line for that kind of money, especially if the Avs have thoughts of bridging Alex Newhook on the cheap.

I'm almost wondering if a guy like Denis Malgin is in this team's plans for next season in a 3rd line role based on how well he's fit in the system since being acquired. He no doubt has to start producing when in the lineup, but the pro scouts tend to identify guys that can be here for a while. Maybe he's another one and comes real cheap next season.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What would people think about a Girard for Kevin Hayes straight swap where the Flyers eat $2,142,857?

It essentially allows them to continue paying the same money for Girard that they would Hayes for the duration of his contract, only they remove Hayes and add a defensemen.

I still think I'd rather pay for them to retain, and figure the rest out in the off season.

I do think Hayes is a perfect fit, and would allow us to keep one of Compher or Erod for 3C/utility duties as long a Gman is traded. Then go find the best center prospect, you can with anything/everything we've got.

You can almost fit in a 7M player by trading G, and keeping 3.5M for a 3C, but not quite by a few hubdred K. At 5M and doing that some flexibility opens up. As long as literally every other player other than the top six and 3C is an ELC besides LOC. As in sub 1M, but more like 700 to 900k.

For this year, go get Hayes, keep G, and make the best run you can with that depth.

Next year we may actually be able to bank cap, and only need to add depth at the TDL.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

EDIT: If something like that were to happen, the Avs could in theory be looking at the following next season:

Lehkonen (4.5M) - MacKinnon (12.6M) - Rantanen (9.25M)
Landeskog (7M) - Hayes (5M) - Nichushkin (6.125M)
XXXXXXXXXX - XXXXXXXXXX - XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX - Foudy (847K) - O'Connor (1.05M)
MacDermid (987K)

Toews (4.1M) - Makar (9M)
Byram (2.5M) - Manson (4.5M)
Behrens (925K - XXXXXXXXXX

Georgiev (3.4M)
Francouz (2M)

A couple of notes:

1) As I've said based on his health concerns I fully expect the Avs to play hardball with Byram and bridge him. I'm thinking 2 years, 2.5M per. Maybe a bit low but that's my prediction.

2) I'm wondering if the Avs don't try to move on from Pavel Francouz this summer and opt for a cheaper backup. Goaltenders like Jaroslav Halak, Kevin Lankinen, Joonas Korpisalo, Thomas Greiss, and Anthony Stolarz are all UFAs this summer and all currently have contracts for less than 2M. Could be a way the Avs try to save some money if they envision Georgiev as a 60-start man.

3) Based on the above and Francouz still being here, the Avs would have 9.715M to find a 3rd line, 4th line LW and 3rd pair RHD. Assuming they'd bring Erik Johnson back for 1M and they find a 4th line LW for 1M, that leaves 7.715M for a 3rd line. Not impossible to find a decent 3rd line for that kind of money, especially if the Avs have thoughts of bridging Alex Newhook on the cheap.

I'm almost wondering if a guy like Denis Malgin is in this team's plans for next season in a 3rd line role based on how well he's fit in the system since being acquired. He no doubt has to start producing when in the lineup, but the pro scouts tend to identify guys that can be here for a while. Maybe he's another one and comes real cheap next season.
Philly paid Arizona to take Gostisbehere off their hands so they could make Rasmus Ristolainen a featured part of their defense.

No way in hell do they want Girard.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-191128.png
    Screenshot_20230107-191128.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Again, it’s Philly. What lesson have they learned since the 70s? Like, name one!
I'd rather just pay futures and whatever cursory pieces get Hayes at the lowest cap hit possible. We can decide between Byram and Girard in the off-season and add futures to start looking for ELC players we might get good value from, but realistic shit like 3rd line wing, and bottom and #5-7D. They're actually not bad at that.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I just don’t see Byram collecting a big contract at this point. He just hasn’t played enough.

Maybe if the Avs go 5+ years he could get 4.5+, but I don’t see any other way.
Why would Avs go 5+ years with that dollar amount? $22.5 million is a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money for a player who unfortunately hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy. I think the front office has a lot of leverage in this situation. Bridge seems the best option for both parties and I'm sure the Avs would be happy to add additional years to the bridge at the bridge price if Byram wants to guarantee himself more money.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just don’t see Byram collecting a big contract at this point. He just hasn’t played enough.

Maybe if the Avs go 5+ years he could get 4.5+, but I don’t see any other way.

Agreed.

At this point I don't don't think Byram could get Dawson's 3x$4M bridge. He's played less than 35% of possible games since joining the NHL. Injuries are a massive issue with him.

I think we'll end up seeing like a 2x$3M deal where Bo simply needs to stay healthy to prove he can to the Avs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad