2022-2023 AUS Thread

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Interesting… this week will include UPEI’s first back to back road swing of the season. DAL Friday and X Saturday

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Seen this as well. UPEI planning a St Patrick’s Day tailgate event pre and post game
To win - it's three games in three days. Not impossible, actually have the winners have done it this way since 1998.

I know it's early, but I can't resist. There a number of seeding scenarios, but I would expect the most predictable to be:

UPEI (5) vs OUA Runner-up: UPEI loses to UNB in the AUS Finals. This could work for UPEI as it has for UNB in a number of tournaments (if you can get past the #1 seed in round two - AUS-UNB, CW-CAL or OUA-UQTR).

UPEI (8) vs CW (1) or OUA (1): UPEI gets upset in the AUS 1st or 2nd round and are the host. Not a recipe for success. The next round is the winner of the 4/5 game - could be AUS-Runner-up or CW-Runner-up.

UPEI (3) vs #6: UPEI wins the AUS and plays the CW-Runner-up

Being seed #5 and #3 also implies an AUS Bronze series to determine the host.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
To win - it's three games in three days. Not impossible, actually have the winners have done it this way since 1998.

I know it's early, but I can't resist. There a number of seeding scenarios, but I would expect the most predictable to be:

UPEI (5) vs OUA Runner-up: UPEI loses to UNB in the AUS Finals. This could work for UPEI as it has for UNB in a number of tournaments (if you can get past the #1 seed in round two - AUS-UNB, CW-CAL or OUA-UQTR).

UPEI (8) vs CW (1) or OUA (1): UPEI gets upset in the AUS 1st or 2nd round and are the host. Not a recipe for success. The next round is the winner of the 4/5 game - could be AUS-Runner-up or CW-Runner-up.

UPEI (3) vs #6: UPEI wins the AUS and plays the CW-Runner-up

Being seed #5 and #3 also implies an AUS Bronze series to determine the host.
You're right. It's early.

I'm trying to figure out how to go to a "tailgate party" and then to the game.

And why is it an "upset" for UPEI to lose in AUS playoffs?

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Unrelated/related…but I often wondered about the advantage to playing the QF match up on a Thursday or Friday. Playing the QF on Friday = 3 games in 3 days to win like you said Drummie. The host does get to decide when they play, but I’m not sure what weight that holds if any. Under the current format and if history tells us anything, we can’t really say either way that there’s a clear advantage for playing the QF on Thursday or Friday. I suppose if you’re a confident group who’s been there done that, a QF #1 or #2 match up on Thursday and Friday rest would be desirable. On the other hand, if you’re looking at the gate and keeping your host team “in it” for the fans, QF #4 would make sense too.

2022 – UQTR plays in QF #4 on Friday, beats UBC 2-1 (2OT) and later takes down Alberta 5-4 (2OT) in the final to win.

2019 – UNB plays in QF #3 on Friday, beats Carleton 2-1 and later beats Alberta 4-2 in the final to win

2018 – Alberta plays in QF #3 on Friday, beats Acadia 8-6 and later beats X 4-2 in the final

2017 – UNB plays in QF #2 on Thursday, beats a travel-weary Queen’s team 5-1, and then Sask 5-3 to win in the final

2016 – UNB and Western in QF #3 on Friday, UNB wins 5-1, and later beats X 3-1 in the final to win…note X did have that 3OT win over Sask in the semis and were gassed

2015 – Alberta plays in QF #4 on Friday, Alberta beats X 5-1, and then takes down UNB in the final 6-3

I think at the end of the day it really comes down to the match up for this tournament and who’s got it. After seeing Alberta’s 2017 and UNB’s 2022 QF losses though, the upsets definitely exist!!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal is playing well right now. They played UNB tough.
Glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty? Is DAL playing better or are teams "disrespecting" them and playing down?
May be a bit of both.
Not making excuses for any team, but having guys gone to FISU has to be a factor.
I'm glad to see DAL improving.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End Of Previous Comment
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on this???
Phil.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
St. FX follows up their big road win at UNB with a home loss to Dal.
This is typical of X inconsistencies in recent years though. Get a big win against UNB then ending up losing to a team they should beat.
IMO, X's success will depend on Raymakers. If he gives them solid goaltending, when it counts, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at Nationals. The offence can be lethal, but it's the backend and spotty goaltending that has plagued them this season.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
IMO, X's success will depend on Raymakers. If he gives them solid goaltending, when it counts, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at Nationals. The offence can be lethal, but it's the backend and spotty goaltending that has plagued them this season.
I'm with you there! Man, this league is unpredictably wild at times eh.

I'm not counting X out until the final buzzer goes and they shut the lights off.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Dal beats UPEI 2-0.

Tigers have gone 3-0-1 in their last four games, having played UNB/Moncton/X/UPEI.

Acadia adds to Moncton’s woes with a 3-2 win in Wolfville.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Dal beats UPEI 2-0.

Tigers have gone 3-0-1 in their last four games, having played UNB/Moncton/X/UPEI.

Acadia adds to Moncton’s woes with a 3-2 win in Wolfville.
It’s a wild wild league…

Maybe the battle won’t be for the bye but for the last playoff spot if this keeps up

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
UPEI at X…Panthers are going to be in tough tonight and are likely going to be one of the happiest teams to see their guys returning from FISU. Pretty disappointing slump for them since their big road win over UNB

Reactions: AUS Fan

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
UPEI at X…Panthers are going to be in tough tonight and are likely going to be one of the happiest teams to see their guys returning from FISU. Pretty disappointing slump for them since their big road win over UNB
This didn’t age well! UPEI 5-2 over X tonight in Antigonish.

Caught the first two periods of ACA and UNB. UNB. Reds looked good

Reactions: Drummer and AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
This didn’t age well! UPEI 5-2 over X tonight in Antigonish.

Caught the first two periods of ACA and UNB. UNB. Reds looked good

With the games tonight there was no movement. UNB, UPEI and SMU won so UPEI didn't gain on UNB and SMU didn't gain on UPEI. SFX, UdeM and ACA all lost so there was no gain in that group also.

The only thing that happened was that there is one game less for everyone to catch up.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Entertaining game tonight at Acadia.
The score is not indicative of the play.
SMU scored with .5 sec left in the 1st period and again with 13 sec left in the 2nd for a 3-1 lead. Take away both of those goals and it's a much closer game.
During a 4 min PP in the 1st, SMU launched bomb after bomb towards McCollum. The ACA PKers were blocking shots like they were nothing. Anything that got through, McCollum made the stop.
SMU and ACA are on the Island this weekend while the other 4 teams play 2 games each.
By Sat night everyone will have played 26 games with 4 remaining. SMU will need help from someone if they hope to finish 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad