2022-2023 AUS Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
We're whittled down right now, missing our top 2 D's and 2 of our top 2 F's, so I'm finding it hard to feel bad for the other teams haha. Considering the lineups, wasn't that bad of a game last night. I've seen a lot worse than 3-0 games against UNB, unfortunately.
Timbit, did St-Laurent suit up against UNB last night, he's listed in the box with no stats... thought he was serving his 2 games on Wednesday and last night, unless the suspension got reduced

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hard to believe that’s the first win at the AUC for UPEI since that wild 8-7 game about 11 years ago.

First home loss for UNB since the 2020 AUS Final.

Panthers looking legit this year.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UPEI holds off UNB for a 5-4 win.
ACA loses on the road to SFX 6-3.
SMU over a hard-working but overmatched DAL 5-1. Welch got the start for SMU while Hicks was in goal for DAL.

The boys will be off for FISU tomorrow.
Wishing all the AUS guys best of luck.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Timbit, did St-Laurent suit up against UNB last night, he's listed in the box with no stats... thought he was serving his 2 games on Wednesday and last night, unless the suspension got reduced
No, I'm just an idiot. Had left him on the scoresheet by mistake, and I crossed him off of there but I forgot to remove him from Presto. Just did that, he will be back next Friday.
When I was at the DAL game tonight, someone mentioned that Kerwin and Gentile were back in school.

My understanding is that Gentile can play in the fall but Kerwin needs to wait until next Jan.
That's going to be a big help for them.

With the win last night, UPEI becomes the 2nd team to clinch a playoff spot.

UNB clinched on Oct 7.
Can't count on UNB for any help at all, no surprise. :D

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
So is this a make or break weekend for X?

They have truly been the biggest underperforming team of the AUS so far this season…despite that though, I still wouldn’t want to bet against them come playoff time. Peddle can always seem to turn it on when it matters and rarely just goes away… 🤢

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

They have truly been the biggest underperforming team of the AUS so far this season…despite that though, I still wouldn’t want to bet against them come playoff time. Peddle can always seem to turn it on when it matters and rarely just goes away… 🤢
I thought after a Bronze last year with a young team they would have a better year. I can see them losing both games this weekend with their 2 snipers gone. We'll know more Saturday night.

Reactions: 902RedIslander

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

I wouldn't expect much with Hawel and Struthers gone to the FISU Team..

Reactions: 902RedIslander

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
On the other hand, I stopped watching the SMU/PEI game after 2 periods. It looked like the Panthers had things under control, but outshot 16-4 in the third period and SMU comes back to win in OT.
Did the same as well…Panthers looked like they had it in the bag but as the old saying goes it ain’t over till it’s over.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Did the same as well…Panthers looked like they had it in the bag but as the old saying goes it ain’t over till it’s over.
SMU were not very good for 2 periods while UPEI was. They did a solid job limiting shots. The 3rd was a total turnaround. I thought the van Loon goal was a bit soft, but not going to fault Capriotti. I didn't see the OT goal as I was sitting at the far end. But a win is a win.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Big win tonight for ACA over SMU. Acadia looked very poised for most of the game even when SMU had loads of pressure.McCollum was solid, making several great saves. Both goalies were good with a 2-1 score.
I thought ACA carried the play for most of the game with SMU having a some good shifts.
The Axe are back at it with UPEI in town Sat night while SMU is off till Wed when they're back at ACA.

In other games DAL gets a point at UNB in a 5-4 OT loss while SFX came alive to beat UdeM 4-0.

6 in a row for the Aigle.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
X 4-3 over UNB…Nolet’s slashing penalty in the second seemed to be to the difference maker. UNB very lucky to get a point in this game. McCallum with two straight penalties.

X with a 4 pt weekend…have to think this gives them a lot of confidence with just a handful of games left in the season.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dal with three big points this weekend. Unfortunately there is a seven point gap with sixth place Acadia.

UNB with a loss but the Panthers unable to take advantage with a loss to the Axemen.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal with three big points this weekend. Unfortunately there is a seven point gap with sixth place Acadia.

UNB with a loss but the Panthers unable to take advantage with a loss to the Axemen.
X 4-3 over UNB…Nolet’s slashing penalty in the second seemed to be to the difference maker. UNB very lucky to get a point in this game. McCallum with two straight penalties.

X with a 4 pt weekend…have to think this gives them a lot of confidence with just a handful of games left in the season.
Everyone has 2 more games without their guys at FISU. Then 6 games down the stretch with "full" rosters.

I see both McCallum and Bladen played, so that is 23, I think.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking at the standings with 8 games left I have a few observations.

UNB- No one will catch them unless they tank to get Connor Bedard.
UPEI - Slim hold on 2nd spot with SMU at their heels. Coin toss, but I'll give the edge to SMU. They have a 4 point game on the Island Jan 27.
SFX - On a 3 game win streak. Maybe they figured it out. Getting their stars back from FISU won't hurt.
UdeM - Despite a 7 game losing streak, they are 2 points behind SFX. If they can get a couple of wins they may get home ice for a round.
ACA - 2 wins in a row against "good" teams has to be a confidence builder. If UdeM continues their downward spiral, look for ACA to move up 1 spot.
DAL - Despite getting 3 points on the weekend, the math is against them.

Every team controls their own destiny, but some wins are gonna be harder than others.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looking at the standings with 8 games left I have a few observations.

UNB- No one will catch them unless they tank to get Connor Bedard.
UPEI - Slim hold on 2nd spot with SMU at their heels. Coin toss, but I'll give the edge to SMU. They have a 4 point game on the Island Jan 27.
SFX - On a 3 game win streak. Maybe they figured it out. Getting their stars back from FISU won't hurt.
UdeM - Despite a 7 game losing streak, they are 2 points behind SFX. If they can get a couple of wins they may get home ice for a round.
ACA - 2 wins in a row against "good" teams has to be a confidence builder. If UdeM continues their downward spiral, look for ACA to move up 1 spot.
DAL - Despite getting 3 points on the weekend, the math is against them.

Every team controls their own destiny, but some wins are gonna be harder than others.
For me, the biggest difference for StFX is Raymakers. He has looked pretty average most of this season, but last night he was in fine form, and made some spectacular saves.

UNB's young forwards seem to be missing the steadying influence of Gilmour and Keating. Plus factor in the new Christmas additions. Teams like X and UPEI are playing heavier hockey in the 2nd half and the new guys need to adjust, as well as not take reaction penalties.

SMU has been a slow starter team for years, in my opinion. They seem to be rounding into form now, and are more disciplined than the Panthers.

UPEI's tendency to cross the line, and not just the twins, can cost them. For example, TJ Shea started running Ukrainians near the end of their blowout against Team Canada at the FISU games, and finished the game in the box for a blatant charge.

Moncton needs to get back in the win column, but they have all the pieces to maybe win one round of playoffs, or at least not get swept.

Acadia had a great weekend. I will be more impressed if they can continue to win.

Dal is HUGE and built for the playoffs, if they could just make them. Even if Acadia regresses again, I don't see the Tigers catching them.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm not worried about UNB lacking "leadership". When the guys get back from FISU, they'll run the table next 6 games. New guys coming in at Christmas can mess up the chemistry, moreso this time without Gards to fit them in. UNB will be in Green Gables in March, probably in the Gold Medal game.

To me UPEI is a good mix of grease and grime with some skill mixed in.
I don't think you should read too much into 1 bad penalty for Shea at FISU. I'm sure he was spoken to. When you're up 5 goals maybe it was "payback" for something erlier.

SMU will go as far as Helvig takes them. If he falters, then Welch will pick up the slack.

I think Peds was sandbagging the 1st half to lull everyone to sleep.

UdeM has injury problems, I think. Need to get some input from Timbit.
If UdeM never wins again, ACA will finish 5th, otherwise expect them to get the last spot.

DAL was able to keep pace with ACA this weekend, but their magic number is not a good one.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
As much as you can never count X out, I feel like you can still take advantage of their ‘D’…and Raaymakers seems to have more average/below average games than good ones.

They have a great offense, especially with Nelson/Trott/Hudson really doing a nice job complementing Hawel/Struthers…but not sure they can outscore their defensive shortcomings.

I do see the playoffs being more wide open this year with any team capable of beating another…even more so with UNB showing some chinks in the armour the last two weekends at home. Gotta think UPEI and X will have a ton of confidence the next time they come into the AUC.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Losing 2 in a row in Oct and the UNB faithful were in a panic.

Now, having 2 sub-par games I can see the same panic creeping in.

There's a reason they don't give out the trophy in Oct. You need to play the games.

Some nights it may not go the way you want.

UNB will be fine.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad