Patriots/NFL 2021 Season II: 1-2; Week 4 vs. TB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Two games in, but I expect the run defense and red zone offense to be issues at times this season.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
they paid for 2 TE and haven’t given them a single target in the red zone. I blame Josh.
Certainly can say he's been conservative at times in the red zones, but I think that's due to a number of factors and will most likely get better as the season goes on. They have a QB 2 games into his career, who most likely is nowhere near to having the full playbook at his disposal. They also are most likely taking the long approach with this kid, they aren't going to be running high risk stuff, especially down in the Red zone where the field is compressed and everything is harder. Lastly, this team can win on defense and FGs (I know that isn't what alot of people want to hear), they aren't going to risk pts and the kids confidence. It's still a marathon

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Certainly can say he's been conservative at times in the red zones, but I think that's due to a number of factors and will most likely get better as the season goes on. They have a QB 2 games into his career, who most likely is nowhere near to having the full playbook at his disposal. They also are most likely taking the long approach with this kid, they aren't going to be running high risk stuff, especially down in the Red zone where the field is compressed and everything is harder. Lastly, this team can win on defense and FGs (I know that isn't what alot of people want to hear), they aren't going to risk pts and the kids confidence. It's still a marathon
Can't ruin his confidence if you don't ever give him the chance.

The script is too easy for defenses..get inside the RZ, run run run, FG.

Reactions: CDJ

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Can't ruin his confidence if you don't ever give him the chance.

The script is too easy for defenses..get inside the RZ, run run run, FG.
Isn't the whole point not to ruin his confidence? At the end of the day they can still win games and bring the kid along. They should be 2-0 with 2 division wins despite the faults people see in the playcalling

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I think the o-line is primarily why they don’t attack downfield and I’m fine with that but I’d like to see Henry or Jonnu split out wide in the RZ for a fade or box out slant depending on the coverage. Mac has great touch so I think he’s going to be pretty good throwing fades

Also I do expect N’Keal to impact the team a little bit in the red zone, for all the things he does terribly he does use his frame to seal people off and make contested catches

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I think the o-line is primarily why they don’t attack downfield and I’m fine with that but I’d like to see Henry or Jonnu split out wide in the RZ for a fade or box out slant depending on the coverage. Mac has great touch so I think he’s going to be pretty good throwing fades

Also I do expect N’Keal to impact the team a little bit in the red zone, for all the things he does terribly he does use his frame to seal people off and make contested catches
I mean the line is part of the reason. But outside a few exception years, the Patriots have never really been a big downfield offense. They take a shot from time to time, but its far from their calling card on offense.

As far as the TEs go both missed significant time this preseason and training camp in a new offense with a rookie QB. The TE's very well might not be quite 100% physically or mentally with the playbook and offense. I don't think its too much of stretch to see then get off to a slow start

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Very simple

the OL is dictating how Jones plays

he’s got major balls but he’s got below average time

I love Jones because he
1. Is accurate
2. Makes great decisions
3. Is humble but confident
4. Has stones
5. He controls pocket

you stay in the pocket you are more protected then young Harry Potter living at Privet drive

you stay in pocket
The D can’t hit you
High
Low
Late
Hard

Jimmy G got hurt twice

1. outside pocket running vs Dolphins crushed by Alonzo

2. outside pocket vs Chiefs

I go back to Babe Parilli with Pats and Johnny Unitas with Colts, Bart Starr with Packers and Roger Staubach with Cowboys

Jones is a killer - he just needs average to good protection

you know who knows this ?
Brady

Reactions: smithformeragent

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Very simple

I love Jones because he
1. Is accurate
2. Makes great decisions
4. Has stones
5. He controls pocket

you stay in the pocket you are more protected then young Harry Potter living at Privet drive

you stay in pocket
The D can’t hit you
High
Low
Late
Hard

Jimmy G got hurt twice

1. outside pocket running vs Dolphins crushed by Alonzo

2. outside pocket vs Chiefs

I go back to Babe Parilli with Pats and Johnny Unitas with Colts, Bart Starr with Packers and Roger Staubach with Cowboys

Jones is a killer - he just needs average to good protection

you know who knows this ?
Brady
Losing Trent Brown has really thrown everything out of wack. The line should be a strength

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think we’re witnessing the recalibration of a fanbase.

There are fans that just want to see Jones get better week to week, and have a competitive team with a compelling product to invest in. Build for the future.

Then there are fans who believe that, because they still have Belichick on the sidelines, and because of how much they invested in the roster during free agency, this team should be right back there, competing for the division and making a legit run for the AFC Championship game.

Are these realistic expectations?
You tell me.

There’s also a sliver of the fanbase that wants to see the organization fall flat on its face due to how things ended with Brady. They’ll spite watch the Patriots, hoping for them to fail.

I get the sense that this may have been more the case with Newton under center last season. I think a lot of these people are still rooting for Brady and Tampa to win while also hoping that the Pats have found their future in Mac and want to see him develop.

There are red flags with this team based on the first two weeks, but there were red flags in previous seasons and they typically figured things out. We’ll have a better sense of what this team is once they’ve played Buffalo and some of the other good to very good teams on their schedule.

Hard to put a number on how many wins = a successful season right now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think we’re witnessing the recalibration of a fanbase.

There are fans that just want to see Jones get better week to week, and have a competitive team with a compelling product to invest in. Build for the future.

Then there are fans who believe that, because they still have Belichick on the sidelines, and because of how much they invested in the roster during free agency, this team should be right back there, competing for the division and making a legit run for the AFC Championship game.

Are these realistic expectations?
You tell me.

There’s also a sliver of the fanbase that wants to see the organization fall flat on its face due to how things ended with Brady. They’ll spite watch the Patriots, hoping for them to fail.

I get the sense that this may have been more the case with Newton under center last season. I think a lot of these people are still rooting for Brady and Tampa to win while also hoping that the Pats have found their future in Mac and want to see him develop.

There are red flags with this team based on the first two weeks, but there were red flags in previous seasons and they typically figured things out. We’ll have a better sense of what this team is once they’ve played Buffalo and some of the other good to very good teams on their schedule.

Hard to put a number on how many wins = a successful season right now.

Agree with all of this. What worries me about the red flags though is that in the past the greatest quarterback of all time was around to cover up a lot of issues.

Asking a rookie QB to do that is a recipe for failure. And considering how much they tried to improve the roster this past off-season, they're clearly trying to be competitive right now. I think it makes it fair to criticize this approach without blaming Mac Jones for developmental growing pains literally every young QB experiences.

Reactions: smithformeragent

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Amazing.

So does that make Belichick Aunt Petunia?

Super grouchy all the time, but at the end of the story it’s revealed why?

Very simple

I love Jones because he
1. Is accurate
2. Makes great decisions
4. Has stones
5. He controls pocket

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Agree with all of this. What worries me about the red flags though is that in the past the greatest quarterback of all time was around to cover up a lot of issues.

Asking a rookie QB to do that is a recipe for failure. And considering how much they tried to improve the roster this past off-season, they're clearly trying to be competitive right now. I think it makes it fair to criticize this approach without blaming Mac Jones for developmental growing pains literally every young QB experiences.
It really hinges on what your expectations are for this season.

Also, does it really seem like Bill is taking that approach with Mac? Asking him to cover up things? He went out and got him the 2 best TE'S on the market, signed two pretty good WRs and but together a good offense line to start the season (I know they haven't been great, but they are a good line on paper)

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Agreed.

Brady covered a lot of warts over the years.

It wasn’t always enough to win a title, but sometimes it turned what should have been 8-8 into 11-5 and gave them a shot to make some noise.
He certainly covered up things especially in the 2nd half of the dynasty, but its sort of the whole point of having the GOAT. You can skimp in some areas so you can sure up other parts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed.

Brady covered a lot of warts over the years.

It wasn’t always enough to win a title, but sometimes it turned what should have been 8-8 into 11-5 and gave them a shot to make some noise.

This is what irks me and what makes me dislike BB more and more as the GM. He had the guy to cover up the warts, why didn't you give him more weapons offensively and win more titles? Seems like a no brainer to me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Without the greatest QB/player in NFL history, Belichick is really Cleveland Bill. Complete with a losing record, and it's not even close. Saying he's the greatest NFL coach of all time is on par with saying Phil Jackson is the greatest NBA coach of all time.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It’s been a while since I’ve read them, but if I recall, Petunia is jealous of her sister because Lily has powers and Petunia does not.

The letter comes from Hogwarts and Lily gets invited, and Petunia does not.

Then, when Voldemort kills Harry’s parents, Petunia blames “that school” for her sister’s death.

I don’t believe the movies get into this.
Wait ? I saw all movies read all the books and I don’t remember this

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Without the greatest QB/player in NFL history, Belichick is really Cleveland Bill. Complete with a losing record, and it's not even close. Saying he's the greatest NFL coach of all time is on par with saying Phil Jackson is the greatest NBA coach of all time.
Who drafted and developed Tom?

You really want to open up this can of worms again? It's not a hot take to say Bill sucks, it's just dumb.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This is what irks me and what makes me dislike BB more and more as the GM. He had the guy to cover up the warts, why didn't you give him more weapons offensively and win more titles? Seems like a no brainer to me.
Did they need more weapons against Philly? How about in the Giants SB?

They won 6 in 18 years, which is unheard of. You make it sound like it was so simple. Outside of 2006, when did he not have enough weapons?

Reactions: McGarnagle

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did they need more weapons against Philly? How about in the Giants SB?

They won 6 in 18 years, which is unheard of. You make it sound like it was so simple. Outside of 2006, when did he not have enough weapons?

They lost those games, so yes. And there were plenty of years where they had clown shoes for WRs, whether you want to admit it or not.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They lost those games, so yes. And there were plenty of years where they had clown shoes for WRs, whether you want to admit it or not.
In what sort of deluded world did they need more offensive weapons in 2007? They had the most prolific offense in history to that point. Not everything bad that happens to this team is Bills fault

Reactions: McGarnagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad