Injury Report: 2021 Injury Thread - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Have they said anything about whether EJ Calvert and LOC may make it back for the playoffs?

That's some hella good depth options if they can play at some point.

If not there's always Megna and Dries.

Thankfully I think we've seen the last of Dries. It's worth noting he's not even with the club. Kaut, Tynan, Sherwood, Salomaki, Megna and O'Brien are (according to CapFriendly).

I personally thought Megna has looked good in his limited stints. He'd be my top pick to fill in on the 4th line in that group. O'Brien could be fun too if we need an energy boost.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Have they said anything about whether EJ Calvert and LOC may make it back for the playoffs?

That's some hella good depth options if they can play at some point.

If not there's always Megna and Dries.

5ZP6Dh64cR.gif

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I wouldn't pull too much from it. It took them forever after his injury to put him on IR, they're probably just behind the paperwork pulling him off.

I can't see Bednar touching his lineup until they actually lose a game in the postseason. I do think we see Byram this series though.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
G getting hurt against Vegas is damn near inevitable. Reeves zones in on him every time we play them.

Yeah Geesus is going to have to keep his head on a swivel honestly. He's got the mobility to avoid most contact but he needs to come extra prepared and ready to take the occasional hit or two as well.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Frankly, I'll be shocked if we make it through the playoffs with all three of Toews, Makar and Girard healthy. It's why you have three #1 defensemen and why we spent all year testing out the various AHL depth. Bednar and Pratt know exactly what they have in every one of their options back there.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

Are players who are on IR not allowed to talk to the media? Byram has been 'available' for a week now but the day after CapFriendly shows him off IR he meets with the media for the first time. Coincidence?

No, they are doing it since the beginning of time. When you can't play you can't talk. Avs rule no.1

Ma first question would be: Hey Bo. Good to see you and stuff. But WTF happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The pure hatred and vitriol that Sheldon Dries stirs up in this fanbase will never not be funny to me. :laugh: But I understand it to a certain degree.

But let's put it this way--if the Avs have gotten to the point where Not-So-Young Sheldon is suiting up, Avs be f***ed anyway.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The pure hatred and vitriol that Sheldon Dries stirs up in this fanbase will never not be funny to me. :laugh: But I understand it to a certain degree.

But let's put it this way--if the Avs have gotten to the point where Not-So-Young Sheldon is suiting up, Avs be f***ed anyway.
Dries is injured so that’s why he’s not a black ace. And if you had to watch him as much as I have you’d know why he’s hated. He’s not even good in the AHL. Lol

Guys don’t do media unless they are healthy AND relevant...

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Haha I agree. The dude isn't an NHLer obviously, but as a warm body who can get called up for <5 games per year to play 5-10 minutes of zero-event hockey you could certainly do a lot worse than Dries. I have no problem with him as a player individually, though I have sometimes felt like those minutes would/could be better off being given to prospects like Bowers, but then again 5 minutes on the 4th line doesn't achieve much for a prospect anyhow so no big deal either way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Haha I agree. The dude isn't an NHLer obviously, but as a warm body who can get called up for <5 games per year to play 5-10 minutes of zero-event hockey you could certainly do a lot worse than Dries. I have no problem with him as a player individually, though I have sometimes felt like those minutes would/could be better off being given to prospects like Bowers, but then again 5 minutes on the 4th line doesn't achieve much for a prospect anyhow so no big deal either way.

I disagree with this mentality. First, Bowers hasn't done anything to earn a shot over anybody. Second, Bowers needs to work on more of his game than could be found in a 6 minute role right now.

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I disagree with this mentality. First, Bowers hasn't done anything to earn a shot over anybody. Second, Bowers needs to work on more of his game than could be found in a 6 minute role right now.
Starting to feel like he's taking the Greer route to never becoming an NHLer.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I actually didn't mean to make a case for Bowers in particular there, though I can see why that might seem to be the case. In saying "prospects like Bowers" I was trying to sound generic about our group of prospects in the AHL, not necessarily just Bowers. I agree that Bowers hasn't exactly made a case, but in general I wouldn't mind if the likes of Kaut, Ranta, etc got an extra callup here or there. But at the same time I realise that various factors are coming into play with callups, and disrupting a prospects season to move to the Avs and play 5 minutes a couple of times might not be the best for their development. Not a big deal for me either way as I said.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Starting to feel like he's taking the Greer route to never becoming an NHLer.

Greer would be in the NHL if he could keep his head.

I actually didn't mean to make a case for Bowers in particular there, though I can see why that might seem to be the case. In saying "prospects like Bowers" I was trying to sound generic about our group of prospects in the AHL, not necessarily just Bowers. I agree that Bowers hasn't exactly made a case, but in general I wouldn't mind if the likes of Kaut, Ranta, etc got an extra callup here or there. But at the same time I realise that various factors are coming into play with callups, and disrupting a prospects season to move to the Avs and play 5 minutes a couple of times might not be the best for their development. Not a big deal for me either way as I said.

I wouldn't mind an extra callup or a few even, but I firmly believe callups should be earned and not given as a general rule. On a bad team, they are naturally going to have more of a chance and be 'given' more opportunities. On a good team they are going more rare, and they should be because of the different goals. To me, Kaut was a guy who clearly earned a callup in his time... and he got one. That is what I'd like to see more of. Now I wouldn't say that always means right away too... sometimes it might take a season or more. Hell, look at Ross Colton for Tampa. He was very good in Syracuse for a couple seasons after a good college career... this year he finally got a shot and ran with it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bowers scored goals at a higher rate this year, but I've always been concerned if he has enough puck skill and finish to stick in the NHL.

I've seen him miss on quite a few very good opportunities. The kind that you need to bury in the NHL, even if you're on the 4th line.

I don't know how much he improved in that area this year, but he seemingly has everything else you'd need to make the NHL. The size, strength, skating, and strong work ethic, he just need to work on his skills.

garno

Jun 29, 2006
Rivière-du-Loup,Qc
No sarcasm.... Why is Erik Johnson injury? Concussion???? I don’t remember. I like our defense now but imagine a healtly Johnson on the third pairing wow.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
No sarcasm.... Why is Erik Johnson injury? Concussion???? I don’t remember. I like our defense now but imagine a healtly Johnson on the third pairing wow.
Yes, concussion. He got hit and landed on his head very early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad