Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't mind DeBrusk and would take him on this team but he's another tweener. I want them to acquire a sure thing for the top six and that's where Giroux comes in. Nichushkin's my guy but I like him on the third line come playoff time.

I also don't trust Burakovsky whatsoever. I know what his playoff numbers are and what he can do in big games but it doesn't matter, I just don't trust him. I don't think Bednar does either.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't mind DeBrusk and would take him on this team but he's another tweener. I want them to acquire a sure thing for the top six and that's where Giroux comes in. Nichushkin's my guy but I like him on the third line come playoff time.

I also don't trust Burakovsky whatsoever. I know what his playoff numbers are and what he can do in big games but it doesn't matter, I just don't trust him. I don't think Bednar does either.
I'd also like to get a legit top 6 forward this offseason, and you're right that DeBrusk is a bit of a risk. The issue I see though is that a top 6 forward that gets signed this offseason (along with Nichuskin who I assume gets re-signed) will need to be off the roster in 2023 to clear money for Mackinnon/Byram/Newhook. There will essentially be a one year gap at 2RW to fill in 2022/23 with ~$5m in capspace.

We could of course re-sign Burakovsky to fill that spot for another year and then trade him in 2023, but he'll likely want more money than $5m and possibly also some trade protection, so that might not be feasible.

A second option would be to sign an older guy (eg. Giroux/Pavelski) to a one year deal, but it would be risky to head into UFA with that being the plan.

Trading for a top 6 forward with a ~$5m caphit and contract expiring in 2023 would be another alternative. Options would be guys like Dadonov, Tatar, Bertuzzi, JT Miller, Drouin, or Zucker.

Lastly another option is to acquire an RFA like DeBrusk who we could sign to a 1 year deal ourselves at a cost-certain number (i.e. his $4.41m QO). The nice thing with him would be that he has two years of team control left, so we could sign him to a 1 year QO ($4.41m), and then trade him after 2022/23 for something of need if he doesn't fit in cap-wise beyond 2023. That would be smarter asset management than burning assets to acquire a one-year pending-UFA rental.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd also like to get a legit top 6 forward this offseason, and you're right that DeBrusk is a bit of a risk. The issue I see though is that a top 6 forward that gets signed this offseason (along with Nichuskin who I assume gets re-signed) will need to be off the roster in 2023 to clear money for Mackinnon/Byram/Newhook. There will essentially be a one year gap at 2RW to fill in 2022/23 with ~$5m in capspace.

We could of course re-sign Burakovsky to fill that spot for another year and then trade him in 2023, but he'll likely want more money than $5m and possibly also some trade protection, so that might not be feasible.

A second option would be to sign an older guy (eg. Giroux/Pavelski) to a one year deal, but it would be risky to head into UFA with that being the plan.

Trading for a top 6 forward with a ~$5m caphit and contract expiring in 2023 would be another alternative. Options would be guys like Dadonov, Tatar, Bertuzzi, JT Miller, Drouin, or Zucker.

Lastly another option is to acquire an RFA like DeBrusk who we could sign to a 1 year deal ourselves at a cost-certain number (i.e. his $4.41m QO). The nice thing with him would be that he has two years of team control left, so we could sign him to a 1 year QO ($4.41m), and then trade him after 2022/23 for something of need if he doesn't fit in cap-wise beyond 2023. That would be smarter asset management than burning assets to acquire a one-year pending-UFA rental.

I'm just looking at right now tbh. I haven't looked at the offseason options yet and I'm not too worried about it at the moment. They need to maximize this season and playoff run and that's where I want a legit top six forward like Giroux/Hertl over some of these other options like DeBrusk, Crouse, etc. Of course you have to prepare for what's coming and that's what smart teams do but it can't always be about next year. IMO, now isn't the time to be doing the whole asset management thing. Go win.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm just looking at right now tbh. I haven't looked at the offseason options yet and I'm not too worried about it at the moment. They need to maximize this season and playoff run and that's where I want a legit top six forward like Giroux/Hertl over some of these other options like DeBrusk, Crouse, etc. Of course you have to prepare for what's coming and that's what smart teams do but it can't always be about next year. IMO, now isn't the time to be doing the whole asset management thing. Go win.
There's no reason why you can't achieve both, winning now and planning for next year.

For example:

Giroux (75% ret.) for 1st + Jost + Barron/Helleson/Ranta

Compher (+?) for DeBrusk

Landeskog --- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Giroux ---------- Kadri ------- Burakovsky
DeBrusk ------ Newhook ---- Nichuskin
NAK/Helm --- Maltsev ------ LOC

Now you've just massively upgraded your middle 6 for the playoffs, while also building a 2nd line for next season (assuming Nichuskin re-signs) and seeing if they can find some chemistry before committing to DeBrusk. You've also done yourself the favour of moving Compher's contract to create some more flexibility in the offseason.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Is there a player that if signed by Sakic would leave you questioning your loyalty to the franchise?

Like obviously Matt Cooke or Todd Bertuzzi back in the day would have probably been high on most lists, but what about active players?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I’m also hearing that Colorado assistant GM Chris McFarland is involved in this deal, and may be brokering it with Sakic coming in as the closer.

53161227.jpg

If McFarland closes this with Jost + Ranta + 2023 2nd, Sakic needs to make him GM tomorrow. Sounds like Sakic is almost already operating primarily in the VP role.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
53161227.jpg

If McFarland closes this with Jost + Ranta + 2023 2nd, Sakic needs to make him GM tomorrow. Sounds like Sakic is almost already operating primarily in the VP role.
The interesting bits from that article:
After speaking to someone who knows what Colorado is looking for as the deadline approaches, it’s a second line left wing, someone good at faceoffs, and a depth defenseman.

From an NHL source, Colorado was initially as opposed to moving Barron as they were Newhook, but might have to bight that bullet to make the deal a reality – especially if they ask the Flyers to eat up to 50% of Giroux’s contract in order to fit him under Colorado’s salary cap. (They may need to bring a third team in to do the same – like Arizona – but at what cost? More on that in a minute…)

From the NHL roster, I was told Colorado would consider moving J.T. Compher, but that the Flyers might be interested in a younger and more affordable version in Tyson Jost.

Interestingly enough, Colorado doesn’t have a first round pick in 2022, nor do they have a second rounder or a fourth rounder. So, if Colorado is to offer any draft pick compensation it would likely be in 2023, not that the Flyers would mind considering how rich that draft is expected to be.
That said, Colorado may not be willing to part with another first round pick, especially in that deep a draft, to make this deal happen. Would one of the NHL forwards, one of the prospect defensemen and a 2023 second rounder be enough for Giroux?

Ranta, 21, was a name that came up in a conversation I had as well. He’s interesting in the fact that he’s bigger at 6’2″, and that he showed a scorer’s touch in college at University of Minnesota, but he has had an up-and-down year in the AHL, his first season of professional hockey.

Finally, the Flyers might be willing to take on a reclamation project as well. Colorado has two players who had high expectations but haven’t broken through in center Shane Bowers and winger Martin Kaut.
From that article it sounds like the deal would involve one of Jost/Compher, either Barron or a 1st, one of 2nd/Ranta, and then possibly one of Kaut/Bowers as a reclamation/throw-in. Maybe something like Jost + Barron + Ranta + Bowers.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
53161227.jpg

I think they're moving towards that. MacFarland is a popular name around the league pretty much any time a GM position opens up at this point. I think the Avs probably know they have to move him to GM soon if they want to keep him and I also dont imagine Joe will be disappointed to move into a President of Hockey Ops sort of role either. Likely would change much at all from how the team has been operating other then Chris getting a nice pay raise and maybe a little more control.

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
1st + 2nd + JTC + Bowers would be great for Giroux. We give up basically nothing valuable except the 1st which is unlikely to become much.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The interesting bits from that article:

From that article it sounds like the deal would involve one of Jost/Compher, either Barron or a 1st, one of 2nd/Ranta, and then possibly one of Kaut/Bowers as a reclamation/throw-in. Maybe something like Jost + Barron + Ranta + Bowers.

All will be forgiven if Sakic doesn’t give up a 1st for Giroux. But I didn’t see that as being realistic…until I went over to the Flyers board and read their opinion on Fletcher.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Also, I think if the Avs actually end up having a choice, I'd rather hang onto the 2023 1st and move Barron if they can do that. That way we can potentially use the 1st in the summer or next year to fill out the roster, generally its a lot easier to trade 1st round picks then already drafted prospects simply because getting a 1st means the team gets to pick exactly the player they want at the draft.

So if Sakic can pull off a JTC + Barron + Ranta + Kaut for Giroux @50%....

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Is there a player that if signed by Sakic would leave you questioning your loyalty to the franchise?

Like obviously Matt Cooke or Todd Bertuzzi back in the day would have probably been high on most lists, but what about active players?
I would take Scott Stevens concussing mfers all over the ice if it meant Stanley Cup wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad