Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I’ve been excited about Giroux for a while now but everyone talking about it is making me pessimistic. Avs usually move in stealth mode when making moves. Although, Kuemper was anything but stealth so who knows.

MAF would be cool as a back up if they can make it work. I think he’s going to go much cheaper than people seem to think. I don’t even know if he’s good anymore.
Compher for MAF (50%) has equal caphits so would likely be the base. Then add Francouz to open the backup spot. Avs would gain $2m capspace there so you can either use that in another trade, or include De Haan (50%). Not saying I necessarily want to move for MAF or trade Francouz, but IF Sakic does do it then that's probably how the trade would have to look.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
For 4 years running, this team doesn’t need top 6 scoring pop. It needs gritty depth that can provide offense (that makes you useless as always, Jost), & better defensemen than Murray & the Johnsons , who simultaneously aren’t super soft Sammy G massive defensive liability pansies. Good luck fixing that in 1 deadline.
Including Braun in the Giroux trade wouldn't be hard to do. Then you bring in someone like Glendenning as the Jost replacement, shouldn't be too expensive. That adds scoring depth (Giroux) along with 'grit' and PK ability (Braun and Glendenning).

Landeskog -- MacKinnon -- Rantanen
Nichuskin ----- Kadri ---- Burakovsky
Giroux -- Newhook -- LOC
MacDermid - Glendenning - NAK/Compher

Toews - Makar
Girard - Braun
Murray - EJ

Reactions: BKarchitect

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Joe almost never does it, but his interview during the game last night felt like a bit of posturing to me.

Raved about how good the team has played, and made sure to get a line in about how there've been a lot of big deadline trades over the years that didn't pan out.

I did find it interesting though when he was talking about doing his due diligence and mentioned that there's still some teams that aren't sure whether they'll be out of the playoffs and sellers at the deadline or not.

That screams Pavelski on Dallas to me.
Does anyone have a link to this interview? I assume it isn't the press conference that's being referred to.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
2023 1st + Barron + Ranta + Murray

For

Giroux (50%) + Braun

JTC to AZ for cap space.

I could live with that.
Giving up way too much for a couple months of Giroux. You can get very good 2nd liners in the summer for the next 5+ years for the same price.

The Avs top priority is not a flashy scorer. They need a shutdown top 4 Dman and solid two way 3rd liners.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Nope. They're not allowed to talk about an extension until 1 year before.

It's not a very strict rule but it is technically the rule.
The way Sakic answered the question about MacKinnon's extension makes it seem pretty obvious that they've already got something lined up to have it done on day 1. It makes logical sense to do that too as it's the biggest piece that needs cost certainty going forward before you can start committing big term and money elsewhere.

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Dang won't post.

From EUROLANCHE through Dater says 10 teams have scouts at the Eagles game including Flyers and Blackhawks and the Flyers really like Baron and Ranta and also like Jost

Last edited:

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
If the Avs are giving both Ranta and Barron, shouldn't there be a small add to Giroux, or am I just being selfish? Lol. I'm assuming the Avs would also be parting with a first and one of Jost/Compher.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean I’d love to hold on to Barron especially considering Bo’s health issues. In a way I think that elevates Barron’s internal value as a potential top four defender on a an ELC or cheap extension in the near future. Also Barron is just a really undervalued prospect IMO from a “name” standpoint - stepping into pro hockey as a 19 year-old and being very good while already having a cup of tea at the NHL level? That’s great development of a guy who was a first round pick and whose athletic and skating and tools have always been highly protectable.

Let’s see what Sakic can do. I’m not opposed to dealing Barron to get that Cup and I understand he’s the value piece that slots somewhere between Kaut/Ranta types and Newhook/Byram types but I’m not convinced Joe is gonna trade him especially for a rental. It could cost us a chance to add a big gun like Giroux though, depending on the market and what Claude wants.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Including Braun in the Giroux trade wouldn't be hard to do. Then you bring in someone like Glendenning as the Jost replacement, shouldn't be too expensive. That adds scoring depth (Giroux) along with 'grit' and PK ability (Braun and Glendenning).

Landeskog -- MacKinnon -- Rantanen
Nichuskin ----- Kadri ---- Burakovsky
Giroux -- Newhook -- LOC
MacDermid - Glendenning - NAK/Compher

Toews - Makar
Girard - Braun
Murray - EJ

I would not be shocked if a Giroux deal doesn’t get done but in the course of talks a minor deal for Braun does. I think Sakic is probably loathe to lose any more top two round type picks and I think Braun could definitely be a more cost-effective defensive depth pickup than say Chiarot. Braun looked kinda washed at times last year but has by all accounts acquitted himself very well defensively on a tire fire Philly team this year.

He seems like a nice fit next to Sammy as a meat and potatoes vet although I think you gotta keep his minutes in that 17-18 range per night at this stage of his career to have him be the most effective.

Reactions: Richard88

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Fletcher likes Minnesota connections as much as the Avs like Columbus. A deal of Ranta, Barron, and a pick always seemed to be the proper value to me for Giroux.

Giroux & Lehkonen would be my ideal deadline, the team would be a monster this season and Giroux + Lehkonen will be way cheaper than Kadri + Bura this summer.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Can someone explain the sudden infatuation with Justin Braun? Do you watch him play or is it an echo chamber here?

Giving up 3 valuable assets for Giroux seems pretty steep so adding a potentially cheap piece like Braun whose also a RHD makes sense as an addition. Personally I dont think the move upgrades our defense core drastically or if even becomes a full time starter but depth is always welcome especially come playoffs.

I'm all for upgrading the bottom 3 of EJ, JJ and Murray at the deadline but the prices could be steep. Savard garnered a 1st + 3rd last year. It'll be a tough task for Joe asset wise if he wants to add Giroux and potentially another dmen from another team (Chariot, Giordano). You're looking at risking multiple 1st round picks in this scenario (Barron, 23 1st).

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Wouldn't surprise me if Dater's 'sources' here are just Sam Carhidi given they work for the same company. They're pretty much saying the same things.

Now the only question is how reliable is this Sam Carhidi... he seems pretty confident Danny Briere was not only at the Eagles game last night but also the Avs/Bolts game on Thursday as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Giving up way too much for a couple months of Giroux. You can get very good 2nd liners in the summer for the next 5+ years for the same price.

The Avs top priority is not a flashy scorer. They need a shutdown top 4 Dman and solid two way 3rd liners.

:laugh: Ignoring the fact that's just not true, how does that help us this year?

The entire point is winning the Stanley cup this year, by far our best chance left to win it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The way Sakic answered the question about MacKinnon's extension makes it seem pretty obvious that they've already got something lined up to have it done on day 1. It makes logical sense to do that too as it's the biggest piece that needs cost certainty going forward before you can start committing big term and money elsewhere.

Probably, but technically its against the rules. You're not allowed to talk to your own upcoming free agents until 1 calendar year before they hit free agent status. That's the rule and its been the rule for a long time.

But its also one of those rules that you know isn't strictly enforced simply because of all the UFA extensions you see given out to guys throughout history on that same day where the window opens up. You just know the details were hammered out well in advance and the formality was simply waiting to officially announce it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It would be the most Flyers thing ever to target Sampo Ranta as the main prospect for Giroux. Guy has legitimate NHL skills with a brick for a brain. I'm not sure you can make more out of him than a forechecking 4th liner at the NHL level.

If it seriously only takes Ranta + 1st + JTC, you do that deal ASAP before Fletcher has someone smart tell him "no" and they ask for more.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It would be the most Flyers thing ever to target Sampo Ranta as the main prospect for Giroux. Guy has legitimate NHL skills with a brick for a brain. I'm not sure you can make more out of him than a forechecking 4th liner at the NHL level.

If it seriously only takes Ranta + 1st + JTC, you do that deal ASAP before Fletcher has someone smart tell him "no" and they ask for more.

Also saw on the Flyers board that they have a connection to University of Minnesota players that almost reaches the level we have with former Columbus players so Ranta fills that requirement for them as well.

Sometimes all it takes is another team to be exceptionally high on a prospect like Sampo to make him the centerpiece of a deal. We've seen it in the past before where prospects are specifically targeted by a team. Philly could very well view Sampo as a same tier prospect that Helleson/Barron are.

Reactions: Richard88

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Fletcher is a f***ing moron. We are fully expecting him to get owned.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
:laugh: Ignoring the fact that's just not true, how does that help us this year?

The entire point is winning the Stanley cup this year, by far our best chance left to win it.
You start throwing essentially 2 x 1st rounders and additional pieces around the summer and you will return a very good player. The prices for the biggest names are inflated this time of the year.

As to trying to win, the team should target players that fill our needs. A scoring forward should not be the top priority for the Avs cup run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad