GDT: 2021-22 Season game 1 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:30pm 10/14/21

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Excited and depressed all at the same time. Part of me feels like we're going to get our teeth kicked in, part of me thinks we see some good things arise. I guess the anticipation is part of the fun for a team that should be on the rise and I don't want ot have any expectations but now is the time to start fulfilling them. GKG!

Also holy shit is that Curtis Leschysyn's kid? I'm old

yup and I felt the same way. Didn’t Curtis always wear mega shin pads?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Nice way to begin the season by giving pumping in 6 goals on Vegas.

There will be good and bad nights during the course of the season, let's hope the good outweigh the bad.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Played hockey myself last night but recorded and watched the game after I got home. First off having a remote control that allowed me to FF between plays was ideal, no jack ass commentary, no listening to Fox blather on. I will have to go back and watch Army and Stoll, I like listening to hockey players talk hockey and not talk about dogs, wine, etc.

My question is Alex Iafallo going to be the next most underrated guy in the league. He was an absolute beast last night.

Danault is going to be an awesome addition, guy was everywhere last night and he set up a ton of scoring opportunities. He and Iafallo are going to be a nightmare for opponents.

Lemieux was awesome. Can't ask for anything more from a 4th line player. He fought, hit and even had a few scoring chances.

Kopi went beast mode, Doughty looked great and Brown just did what Brown does, score and hit.

Thought Vilardi had some nice looks, Tkachev is a very smart player and was not afraid to show off some skill.

For a young offense minded rookie with little time I saw a few glimpses of just how good Kaliyev could be. The skill and shot are there, once he gets to game speed and gets some confidence he could be dangerous. Still has some growing to do.

The neg

Edler looks very slow... I am worried about our left side defense.

Didn't like either of the goals on Cal. Hopefully he gets dialed in a bit more. Still early in the season.

3 and a half hours sleep wasn't enough. Hopefully the boss forgets about me today.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Played hockey myself last night but recorded and watched the game after I got home. First off having a remote control that allowed me to FF between plays was ideal, no jack ass commentary, no listening to Fox blather on. I will have to go back and watch Army and Stoll, I like listening to hockey players talk hockey and not talk about dogs, wine, etc.

My question is Alex Iafallo going to be the next most underrated guy in the league. He was an absolute beast last night.

Danault is going to be an awesome addition, guy was everywhere last night and he set up a ton of scoring opportunities. He and Iafallo are going to be a nightmare for opponents.

Lemieux was awesome. Can't ask for anything more from a 4th line player. He fought, hit and even had a few scoring chances.

Kopi went beast mode, Doughty looked great and Brown just did what Brown does, score and hit.

Thought Vilardi had some nice looks, Tkachev is a very smart player and was not afraid to show off some skill.

For a young offense minded rookie with little time I saw a few glimpses of just how good Kaliyev could be. The skill and shot are there, once he gets to game speed and gets some confidence he could be dangerous. Still has some growing to do.

The neg

Edler looks very slow... I am worried about our left side defense.

Didn't like either of the goals on Cal. Hopefully he gets dialed in a bit more. Still early in the season.

3 and a half hours sleep wasn't enough. Hopefully the boss forgets about me today.
Kings still have Maata, Wolanin, Clague on the left side to fill in. Not ideal but can do a decent job on the 3rd pair. Moverare could be an option too if his play continues to improve.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Was going back and forth between screens with the Dodger game, but I thought Edler looked pretty good. Possession-wise he and Walker were our top pair, and we’ve been missing someone with Edler’s size.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So how’d you like the vets showing up?
Opening night isn't the question, it's about three weeks from now when the road catches up to their legs. Olympics, first full year in the last three, lets see how they hold up.

But man, did they put on a show last night.

And, Edler was a hell of a lot better than he is getting credit for here. Any large defenseman who excels is going to have trouble on that play where he got beat wide. But he was consistently stopping Vegas plays behind the net and his positioning and first passes were stellar - not to mention the obvious boost of confidence that his presence has given Walker.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Is the Staples announcer new? That guy was horrendous, sounded like a Ducks game!

Someone on the Athletic comments mentioned how the in-game experience and I would say marketing team as well has been handed over to college kids...I think they are correct.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
A lot of forgettable games/seasons. The last season opener I really remember is the 2011 win in Europe. I think I'll remember this one though.

That Chicago game after the first banner, also after a half season lockout, will always stay with me. The Hawks came in and said no, that's our Cup. That was the start of the Hawks owning the Kings for a year and a half, up until Game 2 in 2014. Made Game 7 that much sweeter.

Two losses at home to SJ in 14-15, and 15-16, also go up there. Again, post-banner, the Sharks got up for that game. Then took it to the Kings again the following year, in what would be a preview of the playoffs, and the inability to beat the Sharks in LA for the longest time.

But yeah, this year's team needs some early confidence, and it's a solid start. Make it 2-0 at home, maybe by not blowing a 3rd period lead to Minnesota.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Opening night isn't the question, it's about three weeks from now when the road catches up to their legs. Olympics, first full year in the last three, lets see how they hold up.

But man, did they put on a show last night.

And, Edler was a hell of a lot better than he is getting credit for here. Any large defenseman who excels is going to have trouble on that play where he got beat wide. But he was consistently stopping Vegas plays behind the net and his positioning and first passes were stellar - not to mention the obvious boost of confidence that his presence has given Walker.

Agreed on Edler. I'd rather have a slower defenseman who knows what he's doing than Olli Maatta or whoever who is more mobile but is constantly making mistakes.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Other than that one time Edler got beat outside, I thought he played well. Made some good pinches and broke up quite a few plays - and it's only his first game of the season. Guys like him only get better as the season goes on.

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
Just finished watching the game, dont remember hen was the last time Kings generated offense like last night, nice to see the veretans having such a monster game. I cant point out what i've liked the most, but im still in love with Trevor Moore, such a gamer (even tho he didnt appear in the scoresheet).

-

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Overall great game for all the players. I would say Roy had a subpar night but he'll recover.
2 players that stood out for me. Walker and Lemieux.

Reactions: KingTech

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Well that was a lot of fun. Definitely not the best performance from Vegas but it has been rare to see the Kings take advantage of a poor performance to this kind of level.

Only one game but it is a win so far for those on here that liked the moves Blake made. Edler looked fine for what he is and what his contract is. Remember that my boy MacD was eating some significant minutes last year.

Forward lines are obviously better than last year but it was nice to see on-paper translate to on-ice for the first game. As already mentioned, Kopitar's TOI is beautiful to see since that was a big part of the Danault signing. Maybe that increases with more special teams opportunities than last night but it's very nice to see it under 20 minutes.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Anze Kopitar joined some rare company with five points in the @LAKings’ season-opening win Thursday. #NHLFaceOff #NHLStats:
Screenshot_20211015-123304_Twitter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad