Salary Cap: 2021/22 Season 81.5M AAV CAP Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Core change next year OR continue to plug holes in roster?

• Total voters

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Assuming we do well in playoffs, say we come out of North at least, and lose Dermott in expansion draft,...
Give Anderson's Money to Hyman
Give Kerfoot's money to an Anderson replacement to partner with Jack
Give Hyman's money for a 3C to replace Kerfoot - Cizikas, Granlund, Bjugstad
Give Simmonds money to Bennett (when he doesn't get qualified)
Hope Bogo takes the same, and if Gally keeps it up he can as well.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Gally/Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Mik - Cizikas - Bennett
Engvall - Spezza - Joey Anderson

Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Bogo

Dreidger/Ullmark
Campbell

If we don't do well, presumably for same reasons, then Willie becomes sacrificial lamb for 2 solid middle six players.

totally agree, i was going to post pretty much the same thing. i can argue the signing you put but the overall concept is spot on.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm generally on team "keep the core together, talent is the scarce resource" but Hyman as a true top 6 RW and the bounty of LW UFA's that are tailor made to round out this roster has me thinking about moving Nylander.

Hyman 4m x 6
Spezza 750k
Dermott 1m
Kerfoot to Seattle
Nylander to someone on July 1 owed 5.16m per for 3 seasons for futures

Sign Haula no more than 2m- Kerfoot level 2 way C but with better goal scoring, faceoffs, and 50+ point upside
Sign Rittich/Dreidger ~2.5m

xxx-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Hyman
xxx-Haula-Anderson
Mikyehev-Engvall-Spezza
Brooks

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
xxx-Liljegren
Dermott

11.1 m to fill the xxx's

1st line LW- ~ 6m with term to Saad (alternative Schwartz, double backup (with less money) Pearson) hard working top 6 lw with two way ability and a cup pedigree to round out the 1st line)
3rd line LW- 3-3.5m 1-2 years (or term with less money) to Iafallo/Granlund/Janmark/Laughton/Coleman/McGinn/Goodrow- strong 2-way winger, variable levels of "jam" (wouldn't be opposed to Galchenyuk here on the lower dollar end)
3rd pair LD - up to 1.6m, left handed version of Bogo to mentor Liljegren and play the pk

Reactions: Korg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm generally on team "keep the core together, talent is the scarce resource" but Hyman as a true top 6 RW and the bounty of LW UFA's that are tailor made to round out this roster has me thinking about moving Nylander.

Hyman 4m x 6
Spezza 750k
Dermott 1m
Kerfoot to Seattle
Nylander to someone on July 1 owed 5.16m per for 3 seasons for futures

Sign Haula no more than 2m- Kerfoot level 2 way C but with better goal scoring, faceoffs, and 50+ point upside
Sign Rittich/Dreidger ~2.5m

xxx-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Hyman
xxx-Haula-Anderson
Mikyehev-Engvall-Spezza
Brooks

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
xxx-Liljegren
Dermott

11.1 m to fill the xxx's

1st line LW- ~ 6m with term to Saad (alternative Schwartz, double backup (with less money) Pearson) hard working top 6 lw with two way ability and a cup pedigree to round out the 1st line)
3rd line LW- 3-3.5m 1-2 years (or term with less money) to Iafallo/Granlund/Janmark/Laughton/Coleman/McGinn/Goodrow- strong 2-way winger, variable levels of "jam" (wouldn't be opposed to Galchenyuk here on the lower dollar end)
3rd pair LD - up to 1.6m, left handed version of Bogo to mentor Liljegren and play the pk

If you have 11.1m to fill the Xs, then one of those Xs should be Nylander.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Hyman plays over a minute and a half more than Tavares

First of all, thank you for your continued volunteering to coach hockey in your community. But, your over-simplification of ice time doesn't fool anyone into thinking any of your opinions hold weight.

Reactions: kb

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We have 15 players signed for $69.7M
So 7 players left to sign for $11.8M AAV for a 22 man roster

Assume we sign Zach for 8 year MAX contract at $5M AVV
Then 6.8M left for 6 guys

Assumes we resign Bogo for $1M/1 year and Wayner for $1M/1 year and lose Dermy to Seattle in draft

Then 4.8M AAV left for 1 tender, 1 defender and 2 forwards

Assume Sandin takes Dermy's spot at 0.9M

Then 3.9M left for a tender and 2 forwards

Seems like 2 $700K forwards will be added and 2.5M left for a 1A/1B tender split with Soupy

or if Robertson makes team then a little less for a tender

Does this make sense?
Is there a goalie out their now who we could bring in to fill need this season and next?
Or will we make major changes to core and stop trying to plug holes?

Zach isn't getting that Nor should he and if that is what he wants ge can walk

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah, nope.

Unless you don't trust Dubas to either get full value via trade or draft with the picks/ select the right prospects from the other team you're being fundamentally irrational. Nylander's value = Nylander, then add a complementary top line LW for nothing

The S's are a slight step down talent wise from Willy, but fit that top line LW like a glove and free up Hyman to play with JT, also a perfect fit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Unless you don't trust Dubas to either get full value via trade or draft with the picks/ select the right prospects from the other team you're being fundamentally irrational. Nylander's value = Nylander, then add a complementary top line LW for nothing

The S's are a slight step down talent wise from Willy, but fit that top line LW like a glove and free up Hyman to play with JT, also a perfect fit.

So let's trade away all our good players for futures and use the money to buy cheaper free agents.

Reactions: NK94 and kb

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The most money committed to a UFA forward last fall was Toffoli at 4 years @ 4.25M, Dadanov was second with 3 years @ 5M. Hyman scores less than both of these guys.

Toffoli was making $4.6M on his previous contract, Dadanov was making $4M. Hyman's salary isn't going to triple in a flat cap world where $1M and under backup goalies and 4th liners are the hot commodities on the waiver market.

Dadonov has 12 points this year, while Hyman has 24. Using Toffoli as the comparable would be better for the Leafs, although I suppose Hyman's agent would be inclined to draw attention to the Dadanov contract.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So let's trade away all our good players for futures and use the money to buy cheaper free agents.

1, not all. And maybe it's not pure futures, maybe instead of Haula a Nylander trade includes a young C with upside that can play 3C now replace JT down the line.

You're better than this Zeke, don't lash out just because you don't really have an argument against it other than being emotionally attached to this core group.

Reactions: LFCTML

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Dadonov has 12 points this year, while Hyman has 24. Using Toffoli as the comparable would be better for the Leafs, although I suppose Hyman's agent would be inclined to draw attention to the Dadanov contract.

How many points did Dadonov have in the years *prior* to signing the contract? You know, the ones that were relevant for setting it

Reactions: NK94

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
How many points did Dadonov have in the years *prior* to signing the contract? You know, the ones that were relevant for setting it

Yes, Dadonov produced more points when he played on Florida. But, he played with guys like Barkov & Huberdeau. I was just looking at it from the perspective of what pro & cons arguments the two sides (Hyman's agent versus the Leafs) will make. Relax.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Time keeps moving forward.....yet you want to replace young prime Nylander with post-prime players.

I'd say late prime rather than post prime. For good players the 28-31 year old drop off is overstated. Then if you conservatively put Nylanders value at twice Kapanen's that's a window widening injection of young capital. This is Austin and Mitch's team. The supporting cast is fungible, and as awesome as Willy is unless he goes through the same maturation as the other 2 he's a part of that supporting cast.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd say late prime rather than post prime. For good players the 28-31 year old drop off is overstated. Then if you conservatively put Nylanders value at twice Kapanen's that's a window widening injection of young capital. This is Austin and Mitch's team. The supporting cast is fungible, and as awesome as Willy is unless he goes through the same maturation as the other 2 he's a part of that supporting cast.

You know our team is really good, right?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You know our team is really good, right?

Yup, I'd argue it's great. But again "The team is really good and I like this player" isn't an argument.

The 08-09 Bruins were "really good" (116 points good) when they made the decision to move on from Phil Kessel. (39 goals per 82 the two seasons before)
The 13-14 Penguins were "really good" (109 points good) when "" """ from James Neal (point per game two seasons before)
The 16-17 Capitals were "really good" (118 points good ) ''''''' from Marcus Johansson (55 point per 82, two seasons before)
The 18-19 Lightning were "really good" (128 points good) when """"" from JT. Miller (55 point per 82, two seasons before)

Now of course Nylander is more of a Kessel/Neal than Johansson/Miller, but there's a pretty consistent track record of really good teams trading really good players to try and find the right mix.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Protect the big 4 and the top 4 D and Campbell. That leaves Seattle selecting Kerfoot or Dermott. I think they’d go Kerfoot as there will a lot better Dmen than Dermott available.

Re-signing Hyman, Spezza (if he wants to continue) and Mikheyev are givens, provided reasonable deals can be agreed upon

That leaves:

Hyman Matthews Marner
xxx Tavares Nylander
Robertson xxx Mikheyev
Engvall Spezza Anderson

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Xxx

Campbell
Xxx

I like the idea of bringing Bogosian back to be a stabilizing partner for Sandin.
Let Andersen, Simmonds and Thornton walk
Use Dermott as a trade chip to acquire one of the 2lw, 3c, 1b goalie. Acquire the other 2 pieces through FA or trading of futures

2Lw ideally would be a player who could play up and down the lineup and plays a hyman type game. Iafallo would be a great target

3C would be someone who plays a harder style game. I’m thinking someone like Lowry, Copp, Faksa, Laughton, etc.

FA targets for goalie would be: Raanta, Ullmark, Mrazek, Bilyalov. Trade targets: Korpisalo, Vanacek, Francouz, Georgiev

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20210403-150730_Chrome.jpg

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yup, I'd argue it's great. But again "The team is really good and I like this player" isn't an argument.

The 08-09 Bruins were "really good" (116 points good) when they made the decision to move on from Phil Kessel. (39 goals per 82 the two seasons before)
The 13-14 Penguins were "really good" (109 points good) when "" """ from James Neal (point per game two seasons before)
The 16-17 Capitals were "really good" (118 points good ) ''''''' from Marcus Johansson (55 point per 82, two seasons before)
The 18-19 Lightning were "really good" (128 points good) when """"" from JT. Miller (55 point per 82, two seasons before)

Now of course Nylander is more of a Kessel/Neal than Johansson/Miller, but there's a pretty consistent track record of really good teams trading really good players to try and find the right mix.
How do you know a trade won't tank the team and set it off the rails instead? There is every possibility that might happen too.

Add to this team - don't fix what isn't broken. Aside from the 1 and 6 stretch when their only healthy goalie was their 4th stringer when camp broke (and Matthews and Muzzin both injured) they are 23-4-3 - which is a 134 point pace over 82 games.

Leaf fans really need to smarten up and stop creating problems where there are none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad