Salary Cap: 2021/22 Season 81.5M AAV CAP Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Core change next year OR continue to plug holes in roster?

• Total voters

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
No team is going to pay Hyman 5 mill x 8.

He has a career-high of 41 Points. Just because he plays with Matthews and Co., and is producing, doesn't mean he's a bona-fide offensive talent.

Sure he is great at hustling and plays great defense. But that alone doesn't generate you a big contract.
Do you really think another team would offer him 5 Mill for 8 years? I don't think so.

I'd go 3.5 Million x 6 years for Hyman.

While I would happily take Hyman for that deal, I'm shooting high, just in case. I think Hyman of all the players we have is the most likely to take a discount because he comes from a very wealthy family and has a bunch of side businesses going that bring him $$. But you never know.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While I would happily take Hyman for that deal, I'm shooting high, just in case. I think Hyman of all the players we have is the most likely to take a discount because he comes from a very wealthy family and has a bunch of side businesses going that bring him $$. But you never know.

I've said before that Hyman is the most likely player to take a discount but it can't be an insulting amount either. Like say he's worth 5 million, you can't get away with paying him 2, it has to be closer to 4. But one can dream ... can you imagine Hyman making a public statement that goes something like this:

I have decided to sign an 8 year deal for 1 million a year. I am taking this discounted contract because I love Toronto, I love the Maple Leafs and I don't ever want to play for another team. I also want to being the Stanley Cup back here where it belongs and I'm hoping that taking a discounted contract will help in this regard. There are some teams that have a big advantage over us in this salary cap era that we find ourselves in because of favourable tax situations etc., this is my contribution to levelling the playing field. Now I am lucky enough to be part of a wealthy family so let's be honest, I don't need the money but the same can't be said for my teammates so it would be unreasonable to expect them to take the same kind of discount. I am hoping however that they can see how any discount would help us win, and that they will considering taking discounts as well. Even if it's only 5%, if everyone took a 5% discount, it all adds up and will help us manage the salary cap and win the cup. That's up to everyone to decide for themselves though and it's everyone's right to negotiate the kind of contract they want so if they want to get as much salary as they can, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. Go Leafs Go!!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lots of capspace to play with, even after giving Hyman a healthy deal:

Screenshot_20210401-120449_Chrome.jpg

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Don't think we're moving a core player unless we flame out in the playoffs and the core needs a shakeup. Kerfoot gets moved, Andersen come off the books, Hyman gets his money, we sign a 3m goalie and we're good.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Even if we don't move Kerfoot, we still have plenty of capspace to add another good goalie:

Screenshot_20210401-122016_Chrome.jpg

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Likely Additions: Sandin ($894k) and/or Liljegren ($863k), Robertson ($821k)
Yup, the 3 ELC contracts that we can almost guarantee will be on the active roster will really help drive down the cap. Which will really help make the necessary adjustments as well as resign Hyman. I really think the Hyman deal will be very easy. He wants to be a Leaf, and we certainly want him to be a Leaf. His value league wide is undeniable. I am sure teams would be licking their chops to offer him a 5year x 5mill deal. I just don't think he would get many contract offers beyond 6 year terms with the style he plays and the state of the world. Leafs best play is to give him an extra year or 2, and drive his hit down to the 4 mill mark. Think you pose it as, this deal puts your name in the ring of honor, you will be a career leaf, a fan favorite, and a potential Stanley Cup champ with your hometown team. Hard to pass that up. My guess is it will be an 7 year x 4.5mill. Can Hyman really get over 31 million in UFA? I don't know. Either way, Hyms is not going anywhere

* I have no clue if the there is a ring of honor at Scotiabank Arena, but they have one here in Van for players like burrows, Ohlund, Mclean etc.. guys who were fan fav's and highly productive players who spent the majority of their time with the Canucks, but not good enough to have their jersey retired. I am sure this is not unique to VAN, but not sure if TO has such a thing. Either way, that would be the trajectory I would see Hyman going down if he locks in with a term that makes him a career leaf, and I'd leverage it. Same way they did with JT seeing a Tavares jersey hanging in a stall in the room when he signed.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Gallagher 2 -30 goal seasons
Hyman 2-20 goal seasons. Why is he twice as good.
Because I suspect the poster is Stu Hyman or someone within a few degrees. They’ve continually made references to being a hockey dad in the gthl community with more knowledge of the relationships within the hockey community than the average poster in the past.... who knows probably not, but that’s about the only explanation for suggesting Hyman getting that kind of coin, and claiming that he’s “twice the player” Gally is for the habs which is crazy talk.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Bettman is such an ideologue. The pandemic has destroyed the hard cap model, the 50/50 split is going to eviscerate the players REAL salary, as the owners will receive compensation for the lost revenue. Why he doesn’t loosen requirements to allow teams some flexibility during a situation nobody anticipated is beyond me. Every industry has shown pragmatism, the NHL will hold firm, despite the absurdity.

Yes -- but the whole "concept" of why the players are paid so much is because owners make so much.

The very tenet of the agreement between the players and the owners is that each side gets half... if it's a smaller pie because nobody can have fans in the stands, then both sides need to participate in that.

Personally, I think there's an argument to be made that the approach they've taken to reach a 50/50 split is unfair to some players (anyone who has a contract expiring last year, or in the next 2), and unfair to some teams (anyone with long term deals that were signed pre-covid and the expectation of a new TV deal / rising cap).

However, the only way to "combat" that would be to have some sort of artificial salary cap inflator for the next 3-4 years (say $2m a season), and then bump escrow to like 25-30% to cover this. The majority of the PA couldn't stomach that. I'd also suspect that star players have a greater "influence" on the PA than fringe-guys, and the concept of a flat cap really hurts the fringe guys on 1-2 year deals moreso than the stars on 5+ year deals.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because I suspect the poster is Stu Hyman or someone within a few degrees. They’ve continually made references to being a hockey dad in the gthl community with more knowledge of the relationships within the hockey community than the average poster in the past.... who knows probably not, but that’s about the only explanation for suggesting Hyman getting that kind of coin, and claiming that he’s “twice the player” Gally is for the habs which is crazy talk.
Way more likely is that he's a kid pretending to be somebody he's not, and he just has bad hockey opinions.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm all for bringing Spezza back - he's been really good.

No way we should bring back Thornton. He's been getting exposed badly as of late.

Sure. Sign another league minimum guy instead. Sign galchenyuk. Or let a kid like Anderson or Hallander play. Whatever you prefer.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'm all for bringing Spezza back - he's been really good.

No way we should bring back Thornton. He's been getting exposed badly as of late.

And I don't love the Simmonds @ $1.5 contract preferring Gally @ $1 million and adding BOGO @ $1 mill again with the leftovers.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I feel like Hyman is getting the same kind of hype that Dzingel received two years ago after putting up 44 points in 57 games on a rebuilding Ottawa squad and then subsequently put up another 12 points in 21 games with CBJ.

He ultimately signed a 2 year deal for 3.375 mill and after one and a bit of those years, was dumped in a cap clearing move for the struggling Galchenyuk and Paquette because he couldn't even live up to that deal.

Zach Hyman is two years older than Dzingel at that time and has done well in the past two years but, at 27, had the exact same kind of track record except he was playing with much better players.

I don't know if people have noticed but this is not 2013. Guys like Hyman are not getting big money deals from smart GM's. Bergevin may be willing to give Gallagher a 6.5 mill type deal but he is also running a Cap team without any superstar talent. Probably not the best person to model your UFA strategy after. Gallagher is also a better player than Hyman.

His market value is likely in the 4 x 4 range at the very most. That is almost a 2 mill raise on a contract which will take him through his early 30's. That is without a hometown discount or even really considered this pandemic affecting the market for mid-level guys like him. If we are getting a hometown discount, we are likely getting something like 500k or a year knocked off of that.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I feel like Hyman is getting the same kind of hype that Dzingel received two years ago after putting up 44 points in 57 games on a rebuilding Ottawa squad and then subsequently put up another 12 points in 21 games with CBJ.

He ultimately signed a 2 year deal for 3.375 mill and after one and a bit of those years, was dumped in a cap clearing move for the struggling Galchenyuk and Paquette because he couldn't even live up to that deal.

Zach Hyman is two years older than Dzingel at that time and has done well in the past two years but, at 27, had the exact same kind of track record except he was playing with much better players.

I don't know if people have noticed but this is not 2013. Guys like Hyman are not getting big money deals from smart GM's. Bergevin may be willing to give Gallagher a 6.5 mill type deal but he is also running a Cap team without any superstar talent. Probably not the best person to model your UFA strategy after. Gallagher is also a better player than Hyman.

His market value is likely in the 4 x 4 range at the very most. That is almost a 2 mill raise on a contract which will take him through his early 30's. That is without a hometown discount or even really considered this pandemic affecting the market for mid-level guys like him. If we are getting a hometown discount, we are likely getting something like 500k or a year knocked off of that.

Guys like Hyman? Who exactly is out there that would compare to Hyman? Ryan Dzingles isn’t even close.

Zach Hyman is worth more to this team than any forward not named Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner.

I do agree that the market has changed over the last year, but Hyman is not a guy we can afford to lose. Take him off this team and we are not a Stanley Cup contender.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think the media narrative about the contract is definitely getting absurd. He's not getting 5mil, and certainly not in this environment.

This seems actually a fairly straightforward negotiation for both sides. Player loves playing here, team loves the player. I don't think it will be particularly difficult to get done. Team will compromise on term and movement clauses and he'll likely be willing to settle on a more appreciate aav

Reactions: kb

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Even if we don't move Kerfoot, we still have plenty of capspace to add another good goalie:

View attachment 416011

ur missing the bench players salary .. thats an average 2 to 3 million ......... so there goes all the cap space
ur missing a second goalie
your insane resigning simmonds at 1.5, hes barely an nhl player at this point.
dido on thornton. its a cool story but he clearly cant keep up with nhl speed.
although you can pick up a bunch of 4th liners for 800 to 900k as a replacement

i like kerfoot but the way the leafs are built , you cant have a 3+ mil guy on the 4th line. hes gone.

i would also try and resign bogo at that would cost between 1 and 1.5 ... hes a very much needed insurance on the inevitable injuries.

Reactions: LeafsRus

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Not sure what gave you that incorrect idea.
Tavares and Nylander and anyone with common sense disagree with Dreamkur’s idea.

Hyman is a very good player but he’s nowhere close to the level of the big 4. This fanbase acts like guys like him are impossible to find when the Leafs originally got him in a trade for Greg McKegg.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So you think Sheldon Keefe is knowingly playing worse players more than better players?
That's a really weird way to evaluate players. Somebody who plays a lot with Matthews/Marner and plays both special teams is going to have a lot of ice time, especially during the best stretch of the best season of their career. That doesn't mean that they are that exact quality of player or value to the team. Just like Thornton isn't the 6th most valuable forward on the team. Hyman is the jumper cables, not the car.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That's a really weird way to evaluate players.

Ice time is exactly how you determine value. Sure, Nylander might be a better player, but there's must reason he plays less.

Somebody who plays a lot with Matthews/Marner and plays both special teams is going to have a lot of ice time, especially during the best stretch of the best season of their career.

Even when he was on the 3rd line, he was 3rd in playing time.

His ability to play in multiple situations makes him more valuable, not less.

That doesn't mean that they are that exact quality of player or value to the team. Just like Thornton isn't the 6th most valuable forward on the team.

There's a different between ranking value and ability. Nylander would be more valuable if we didn't have Marner.

I don't get the Thornton thing. This is exactly why I didn't like the signing. Keefe seems to be struggling to find a place for him, and that's been resulting in him getting way too much ice time.

Hyman is the jumper cables, not the car.

It's too bad the Leafs seem to need a boost on a very regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad