Line Combos: 2021-22 lines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm pretty convinced it'll end up being this off what was said today:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Kulak-Romanov

Price
Allen

Very excited about this lineup but Evans has to prove he can take on the 3C role. Our wingers are likely one of the best groups in the league, as is our goaltending. Hoping Romanov can take a big step this season and force himself into the top 4.

This would be tough..

Drouin dragging down the defensive impact of Dvorak-Gallagher (but probably the only two guys who can carry it)
and Evans having to play defense 5-on-3 because of Hoffman and Anderson

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
On paper, we have a pretty solid forward group.

Top 6 looks promising :

Toffoli, Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Dvorak, Hoffman.

Bottom 6 have potential to be very good :

Drouin, Gallagher (Drouin and Gallagher can play on top 6 too), Evans, Poehling, Armia, Lehkonen, Perreault, Paquette.

If Suzuki and Caufield put 70 points and more, we are going to be very good on offense this year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Why would we play Drouin above Hoffman in the lineup? Hoffman replaces Tatar and Dvorak replaces Danault alongside Gallagher. Drouin should be fighting for a spot on the roster, no higher than the third line. He has to prove himself, he can't just walk back into a top 6 position, that sends the wrong message.
The idea is to play a guy who's pass-first with Dvorak at the center who's more of a scorer than a playmaker.

And why does he needs to prove anything and it would send a wrong message? When he decided to leave the team he was one of the most productive forwards on the team...

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Poehling and Perrault as extras? I think Paquette is an extra, and Poehling or Perrault are in there...
I guess it depends on if they see Perreault as a center or not at this point in his career. I'm still kinda shocked we're starting the season with so many wingers TBH and that not even counting Byron when he comes back.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Caufield, drouin and suzuki doesn't work for me because the line is too soft with no puck-winners.
I think it's essential, Armia, Anderson and Gallagher all play on separate lines.
I think they'll keep caufield, suzuki and toffoli - who at least has some size, intact.
I think they'll pair the two knights together in anderson with Dvorak and maybe Drouin on that line..
and gally, hoffman and either Evans. or poehling. We may end up seeing a trade here...
two finns play with paquette?

we're loaded on wing. I think they need to sign bozak or maybe move out a couple of wingers for a good 3C

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The idea is to play a guy who's pass-first with Dvorak at the center who's more of a scorer than a playmaker.

And why does he needs to prove anything and it would send a wrong message? When he decided to leave the team he was one of the most productive forwards on the team...
If I was coach, he would only get time on the top two lines if he earned it, he needs to prove that he still belongs in the NHL and not only as a member of the Canadiens. He will not make this team better on one of the two top lines.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Doing line combos makes me furious that we let Tatar walk and are keeping Drouin. Tatar - Dvorak - Gallagher would be such an excellent line.

As if Tatar wanted to re-sign after having been scratched almost all playoffs

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What I want:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Hoffman Dvorak Gallagher
Drouin Perreault Anderson
Lehkonen Evans Armia

What I expect:

Drouin Suzuki Anderson
Toffoli Dvorak Gallagher
Hoffman Perreault Caufield
Lehkonen Poehling Armia

No chance in hell Evans is not on the starting roster for the first game of the season. Poehling is gonna start the season in the AHL.

Reactions: Holystik

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I guess it depends on if they see Perreault as a center or not . I'm still kinda shocked we're starting the season with so many wingers TBH and that not even counting Byron when he comes back.

Ultimately the way I look at the team next season:

1. We have the ability to score more goals up and down the line-up
2. However, that ability might be limited by the lack of natural playable playmakers on the team,
3. With the return of Drouin and addition of Hoffman over Tatar, our forward group is decidedly worse defensively.
4. Our defense is worse than last year. Weber for Savard is still a downgrade.
5. The Powerplay should be improved without Weber on it, though this could be harmed by using Drouin on PP1 instead of vastly superior options.
6. Goaltending can go either way, they will play Allen a lot again especially with Price coming off a surgery and likely starting in the Olympics.
7. Will be negatively impacted by returning to one of the best divisions in hockey and battling the Metro for the wild card.

Verdict:

Best case scenario we see big jumps from Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov and we can sneak into the last wildcard.

Worst case scenario: We miss the play-offs and send an early teens pick to the Coyotes.

Likely scenario: We are picking anywhere from 7-15 (so most likely forfeiting a valuable first to the Coyotes).

Reactions: JoelWarlord

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Drouin is a better player than Tatar on PP.
upload_2021-9-6_20-3-28.png

He sure has an interesting way of showing it then.

(These are PP scoring rates for both players over the last 3 years).

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If I was coach, he would only get time on the top two lines if he earned it, he needs to prove that he still belongs in the NHL and not only as a member of the Canadiens. He will not make this team better on one of the two top lines.
He has to prove that he still belongs in the NHL? Yeah ok, man... I know you don't like the guy but there's no need to exaggerate like this.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Doing line combos makes me furious that we let Tatar walk and are keeping Drouin. Tatar - Dvorak - Gallagher would be such an excellent line.

It would make me furious if they signed a proven playoff bum and healthy scratch to a 5 million/multi year contract.

Drouin is tough to move right now as he might even be negative value right now. Maybe someone is willing to give something small but to just assume that he would be easily moved is incorrect.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Lehkonen-Evans-Gallagher line as a shut down line. Gallagher can take his bad angle shots all day without hurting other creative players on other lines. This line would have plenty of heart and speed (not that Gallagher is fast) and would be an enormous pain in the ass to play against.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He has to prove that he still belongs in the NHL? Yeah ok, man... I know you don't like the guy but there's no need to exaggerate like this.
Exaggerate like what? You would just gift him a spot on the top two lines? Are you serious right now or just bored? He left the team and no one really knows why, a team that went on to the cup final, why should JD just walk back in as if none of that happened? You would have no problem seeing a guy like Kotkaniemi earn it so why not JD?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Think it's:

Toffoli -- Suzuki -- Caufield
Hoffman -- Dvorak -- Gallagher
Drouin -- Evans -- Anderson
Perreault -- Paquette -- Armia
Lehkonen

I'd like to see Poehling step up and grab that 4th line center role. I can see Montreal moving Lehkonen for cap reasons eventually especially with Byron coming back sometime in January.

We'll see how Byron fits in.

On D:

Edmundson -- Petry
Chiarot -- Norlinder?
Romanov -- Savard
Kulak -- Wideman

If Norlinder doesn't make it then I guess Savard steps in beside Chiarot and we have a
Kulak -- Romanov bottom pairing.

Could definitely use a top 4 RD, but we don't have the money for it unless we are somehow able to trade both Lehkonen and Byron.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Exaggerate like what? You would just gift him a spot on the top two lines? Are you serious right now or just bored? He left the team and no one really knows why, a team that went on to the cup final, why should JD just walk back in as if none of that happened? You would have no problem seeing a guy like Kotkaniemi earn it so why not JD?
Because he didn't leave the team just cuz he quit on them or something, apparently, he had some issues that affected him on the ice.

He was text messaging with the guys in the room during the PO run and was never viewed as some sort of distraction or a guy that let his teammates down.

And when he left he was a top 6 for this team, why would that change?

KK never showed he could produce as a top 6. He barely produced as a third liner last year, to be honest...

Drouin missed 11 games and still finished second on the team in assists only 5 behind Suzuki.

So yeah even if you don't like it Drouin is probably the best playmaker on this team at worst second-best behind Suzuki so I don't see the problem in wanting to see him on Dvorak's wing who's a goalscoring center.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Because he didn't leave the team just cuz he quit on them or something, apparently, he had some issues that affected him on the ice.

He was text messaging with the guys in the room during the PO run and was never viewed as some sort of distraction or a guy that let his teammates down.

And when he left he was a top 6 for this team, why would that change?

KK never showed he could produce as a top 6. He barely produced as a third liner last year, to be honest...

Drouin missed 11 games and still finished second on the team in assists only 5 behind Suzuki.

So yeah even if you don't like it Drouin is probably the best playmaker on this team at worst second-best behind Suzuki so I don't see the problem in wanting to see him on Dvorak's wing who's a goalscoring center.
Let's revisit this by mid-November, I will bookmark it for future reference.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Let's revisit this by mid-November, I will bookmark it for future reference.
No problemo!

I didn't say it will work or not, I just suggested it could work and I would like to see it being tried.

We're really deep on the wings this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see Dom using the blender constantly till he hopefully finally finds the right combinations.

I would start the camp with Toffoli-Suzuki-CC and Lehkonen-Evans-Armia as set in stone lines though and then figure out the rest.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Think it's:

Toffoli -- Suzuki -- Caufield
Hoffman -- Dvorak -- Gallagher
Drouin -- Evans -- Anderson
Perreault -- Paquette -- Armia
Lehkonen

I'd like to see Poehling step up and grab that 4th line center role. I can see Montreal moving Lehkonen for cap reasons eventually especially with Byron coming back sometime in January.

We'll see how Byron fits in.

On D:

Edmundson -- Petry
Chiarot -- Norlinder?
Romanov -- Savard
Kulak -- Wideman

If Norlinder doesn't make it then I guess Savard steps in beside Chiarot and we have a
Kulak -- Romanov bottom pairing.

Could definitely use a top 4 RD, but we don't have the money for it unless we are somehow able to trade both Lehkonen and Byron.

Will be interesting to see if Norlinder can make the team.

Same with Poehling. If Poehling outlays Paquette in camp, he should win the job.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No problemo!

I didn't say it will work or not, I just suggested it could work and I would like to see it being tried.

We're really deep on the wings this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see Dom using the blender constantly till he hopefully finally finds the right combinations.

I would start the camp with Toffoli-Suzuki-CC and Lehkonen-Evans-Armia as set in stone lines though and then figure out the rest.
I would have Dvorak with Gallagher and Hoffman. Toffoli with Suzuki and CC, the rest can fight it out. If and when these lines struggle, we will substitute others in their place.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would have Dvorak with Gallagher and Hoffman. Toffoli with Suzuki and CC, the rest can fight it out. If and when these lines struggle, we will substitute others from the third line, namely Drouin and Lehkonen .

Drouin being back is great for the mental health thing, like happy he was able to get to the right place to want to be back

But was hoping he would be sent somewhere else, not only to protect his mental health but because he makes our team worse.

Reactions: OldCraig71

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would have Dvorak with Gallagher and Hoffman. Toffoli with Suzuki and CC, the rest can fight it out. If and when these lines struggle, we will substitute others in their place.

Those are our six best offensive players. Will be really interesting to see if Toffoli can pick up where he left off since leaving LA. How good is Hoffman still? Can Gallagher still get 30? How improved will Nick be? Who will Dvorak have the most chemistry with? Will Caufield win rookie of the year? Can Drouin aand/or Anderson improve on their offensive and defensive flaws? Can Evan's produce with offensive wingers?

Can't wait until camp, and rookie camp.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm sure they'll try different combinations to see what works better.

I don't know about Dvorak with Gally on the same line as they both like to score their goals around the net and like to crash the net and Hoffman is more of a shooter himself so you have 3 guys that like to score goals and not really set up linemates.

Danault was good with Tatar and Gally cuz he was always looking to pass the puck and was rarely looking to score himself, Dvorak is like a bigger Gallagher that plays center.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm sure they'll try different combinations to see what works better.

I don't know about Dvorak with Gally on the same line as they both like to score their goals around the net and like to crash the net and Hoffman is more of a shooter himself so you have 3 guys that like to score goals and not really set up linemates.

Danault was good with Tatar and Gally cuz he was always looking to pass the puck and was rarely looking to score himself, Dvorak is like a bigger Gallagher that plays center.
I mean, I don’t know what combinations will work but I can see Gallagher being put with Dvorak because he is actually the replacement for Danault and not KK and Hoffman will replace TT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad