Line Combos: 2021-22 lines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You mean when he left LA 62 games ago. It's a 100% fluke and he's only getting slower.

2 different teams in 2 different years suggests it may not be a fluke. The proof will be in the pudding...

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
2 different teams in 2 different years suggests it may not be a fluke. The proof will be in the pudding...
Oh come on already. Look at the f***ing sample size. If anything, now it's the only time to trade Toffoli when the price is higher than 2nd round pick.

Reactions: psychonaut

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They did great as a line in the PO also, I just don't know why would you change that? I mean Toff-Suzy-CC

I would def. Be on board for Tofu- Suzy - CC. but if Drouin miraculously does become that useful top 6 pl playmaking winger we need to play with Dvorak, that means one of Hoffman, Tofu, CC, and Gallagher slides down to the 3rd line. I would do Hoffman or Tofu with Evan's. Since Evan's will be counted on in defensive situations and since Tofu-KK-Armia worked last year as a 3rd line, and since Hoffman may be able to score just like Tofu, I chose Tofu.

But in all likelihood Drouin is not a top 6 player. So in that case I have something like:

Tofu-Suzy-CC
Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher
Drouin-Evans-Armia
Lehkonen/Perrault-Paquette-Anderson

But Evan's may surprise as a playmaker. May want to get him a shooter like Tofu or Hoffman...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If anything, now it's the only time to trade Toffoli when the price is higher than 2nd round pick.

We can revisit this post later during the season.

Toffoli's no Drouin, imo.

Drouin may be fast, but he sucks.
Tofu may be slow, be he's savy, and effective.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean balance is the key here. 1 player on a line with less defensive ability with two solid two way players is extremely common.

Dvorak is a goal scoring two way center who benefits off playmaking wingers. Drouin is arguably our best playmaking winger. It makes a ton of sense to our them together.

I agree that it's probably the best place for Drouin but what I'm saying is that you're taking a line (Dvorak and Gallagher) which could be one of the better two way lines in the league and making it one dimensional because Drouin is so bad defensively that if would turn an elite defensive line to an average one.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree that it's probably the best place for Drouin but what I'm saying is that you're taking a line (Dvorak and Gallagher) which could be one of the better two way lines in the league and making it one dimensional because Drouin is so bad defensively that if would turn an elite defensive line to an average one.
Same problem if you put him with Suzuki or Evans.

Drouin may have a hard time staying in the top 9, even the top 12, especially with Perrault waiting in the wings and when Byron is back.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
This is my favourite excercise. I use it instead of counting sheep at night.

here’s my take. A bit outstide of the box

Armia-suzuki-caufield
(playing with the kids keeps Armia engaged and when he’s engaged he’s a ferocious player that can battle in the corners and get the kids the puck)

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson
(So since Dvorak plays better with puck carrying wingers then why not give him two. We know that Dvorak and Anderson can bury it which gives Drouin two good options to distribute to)

Lehkonen-Evans-Gally
(The newly reconstituted shutdown line. There was a stretch where lehkonen-evans-Byron went up against McDavids line and blanked them while scoring through the games Why not put Gally on there and use them like we did Tatar Danault and Gally. This would be a fast line as well that would give the opposing team fits)

Hoffman- Poehling- Toffoli
(Poehling gets to be surrounded by two players with great shots, helping him boost his confidence.)

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Oh come on already. Look at the f***ing sample size. If anything, now it's the only time to trade Toffoli when the price is higher than 2nd round pick.
The owner clearly stated a few months back, the “retool is over” how does that align with trading a “win now” player?

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
The owner clearly stated a few months back, the “retool is over” how does that align with trading a “win now” player?
Well, it's a little sad if the owner and MB think it's worth pressing the "win now" button in the current situation. Now that things are leveling off and the divisions&schedule are back to normal. We can't get anywhere near the playoffs with that defense and offensive structure that is as unbalanced as it can be. Everyone who thinks we can make it is ultimately delusional.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Well, it's a little sad if the owner and MB think it's worth pressing the "win now" button in the current situation. Now that things are leveling off and the divisions&schedule are back to normal. We can't get anywhere near the playoffs with that defense and offensive structure that is as unbalanced as it can be. Everyone who thinks we can make it is ultimately delusional.
Its a business not the Salvation Army - what’s sad is 2-years of lost revenue for a business.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021

We may have the deepest forward groups in the league, and Price who is the best playoff goalie. With Caufield and Suzuki on entry level contracts, we may as well go for a cup now. We can hang with any team and the only team that is clearly better than us is Tampa. If we can add good rental Dman (or if somehow Weber comes back for the POs), we are about as good as any contender.

IMO we should either blow it up or contend. I don't think we should re-tool.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson (Considering that Dvorak is a great 2 way C that can compensate Drouin and Anderson)
Hoffman - Evans - Gally (Hoffman the new Tartar, Evans the new Danault)
Lekhonen - Paquette/Perreault/Poehling - Armia (another defensive line)

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'd like to keep Lehkonen/Byron-Evans-Armia as the 4th line who will have defensive assignment and try Poehling on the 3rd with more offensive player. If it doesn't work then put Evans on the 3rd and Paquette on the 4th. So to start the camp I would try

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Poehling-Anderson (one thing I don't like about this line is who will create the plays)
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

But we know that the line will change with DD who change his lines a lot

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield - had good chemistry during playoffs. Two shooters and a set up man. What's not to like?
Drouin - Dvorak - Gally - playmaking winger, shooter/net crasher and defensively responsible center who can also shoot.
Hoffman - Poehling - Anderson - Lot's of size and speed and can open space for Hoffman and drive play forward.
Perrault/Lehkonen - Evans/Paquette - Armia - Grind, skill and defensively responible. Terrific 4th line combos with all the names that can draw in.
Note* I wouldn't be surprised if Bozak was our 3rd line center coming out of camp/

Edmundson - Petry - defacto top pairing.
Chiarot - Savard - can see equal icetime to 1st pairing depending on opponent.
Romanov - Kulak/Wideman - Yes, Romanov on LD as coaching staff said that's where they want to develop him.
Note* I wouldn't be surprised is they signed a RD to a PTO like Demers or Vantanen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be honest, I don't hate most line-ups I see. We have so many different things we can try.

1) Who plays with Suzuki or Caufield? I'd put Anderson there. I think he's motivated by playing with the two kids and they could use his power/skating game. I see Anderson and Toffoli getting time with them and it could go back and forth.

2) Who plays with Lehkonen and Evans? I have Gallagher but I can also see Gallagher with Dvorak. If not Gallagher, who's the responsible 200' RW? If Byron was healthy, it's probably him. But Byron is out for a while I believe. So maybe Armia (if not Gallagher)?

3) I'm warming up to Drouin with Dvorak. If not Drouin, Hoffman. Can't have both Drouin and Hoffman on the same line. Both are risky at 5/5 so one of them is playing 4th line for sure but both get PP time. Drouin or Hoffman / Dvorak / Gallagher?

4) Who's the 4th line center? Poehling, Paquette, or Perreault?

5) Toffoli being able to play both sides is the wild card but he's got to play with either Suzuki or Dvorak.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield - had good chemistry during playoffs. Two shooters and a set up man. What's not to like?
Drouin - Dvorak - Gally - playmaking winger, shooter/net crasher and defensively responsible center who can also shoot.
Hoffman - Poehling - Anderson - Lot's of size and speed and can open space for Hoffman and drive play forward.
Perrault/Lehkonen - Evans/Paquette - Armia - Grind, skill and defensively responible. Terrific 4th line combos with all the names that can draw in.
Note* I wouldn't be surprised if Bozak was our 3rd line center coming out of camp/

Edmundson - Petry - defacto top pairing.
Chiarot - Savard - can see equal icetime to 1st pairing depending on opponent.
Romanov - Kulak/Wideman - Yes, Romanov on LD as coaching staff said that's where they want to develop him.
Note* I wouldn't be surprised is they signed a RD to a PTO like Demers or Vantanen.

Not bad. Only two areas I would be concerned about.

Hoffman with the inexperienced Poehling and the inconsistent Anderson is a risky line. I have either Toffoli or Anderson with Suzuki/Caufield and in the later part of the playoffs, Anderson was very good with them. I think they could use his power forward game. Don't hate Toffoli with them but at 5/5, I think I would try Anderson at first. He's extremely motivated by playing with them IMO. We need a motivated Anderson and Toffoli can fit well with Dvorak as well.

Savard with Chiarot. I hate this idea and I'm sure they try it. I would have Romanov with Chiarot. Savard with Kulak.

You can pretty much lock in Lehkonen with Evans IMO.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson / Suzuki / Caufield: Mostly offensive zone starts. I feel we need Anderson's power game with the two kids and if anybody wants to play them too physical, Anderson is there. Toffoli is another option but I go with Anderson to start cause that's how the season finished.

Then we have two 200' lines. One more defensive than the other but both can take defensive zone draws.

Lehkonen / Evans / Gallagher: I'm undecided if Gallagher fits with them or with Dvorak. Dvorak likes to play in front of the net so I think Dvorak and Gallagher would trip on each others toes. I try Gallagher with Evans and Lehkonen to start and our trusted defensive line taking most of the defensive zone draws with the Dvorak line mixed in there too. This is neither some 2nd line or 3rd line. Keep Gallagher happy with PP time.

Toffoli / Dvorak / Hoffman: One of Drouin or Hoffman should play with the responsible Dvorak IMO. I start with Hoffman and Toffoli with Dvorak. They basically pick up the slack in both offensive zone starts and defensive zone starts depending on the other two lines and how the timing goes in game.

Drouin / Paquette or Perreault / Armia: Not really a "4th line" and they could cause some damage. I'd have Drouin with one of his fellow Quebecor's to see if we can light up a flair. Armia with them is good value If Drouin disappoints, Slide one or Paquette or Perreault to LW and it's still a solid line. I feel we will need Drouin at the point on one of our PP units.

Poehling as a wild card. Could fight for the last center spot with Paquette or Perreault.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not bad. Only two areas I would be concerned about.

Hoffman with the inexperienced Poehling and the inconsistent Anderson is a risky line. I have either Toffoli or Anderson with Suzuki/Caufield and in the later part of the playoffs, Anderson was very good with them. I think they could use his power forward game. Don't hate Toffoli with them but at 5/5, I think I would try Anderson at first. He's extremely motivated by playing with them IMO. We need a motivated Anderson and Toffoli can fit well with Dvorak as well.

Savard with Chiarot. I hate this idea and I'm sure they try it. I would have Romanov with Chiarot. Savard with Kulak.

You can pretty much lock in Lehkonen with Evans IMO.
I can see either on the wing with Suzuki tbh and switching them also work.
As for Chiarot with Savard, it's not about what we want, it's about what's going to happen. Savard is the Weber replacement and as such, will likely pair with Chiarot. It was all I could do to put Petry on the top pair because I'm not sure he will be but rather split time 50/50. As for Romanov, I'd be shocked to see him in the top 4 this season as it's so set with vets, for better or for worse. I think they'd rather shelter him a bit more on the bottom pair and need to find a better, veteran partner to play with than Wiseman or Kulak imo. Until they do, that's the option or pairings they have for the 3erd pair..

Besides, that, I think it's pretty close to what we'll see to start the season but I wouldn't be shocked to see a surprise or two at camp that shakes up the lineup.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Its a business not the Salvation Army - what’s sad is 2-years of lost revenue for a business.
Actually I'm not a soulless suit who only cares about the team's bottom line so it is sad that this team is once more pretending it can contend to trick it's fanbase again with mediocrity.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
We may have the deepest forward groups in the league, and Price who is the best playoff goalie. With Caufield and Suzuki on entry level contracts, we may as well go for a cup now. We can hang with any team and the only team that is clearly better than us is Tampa. If we can add good rental Dman (or if somehow Weber comes back for the POs), we are about as good as any contender.

IMO we should either blow it up or contend. I don't think we should re-tool.
A lot of mediocrity(mid6 forwards) doesn't mean we are deep. We lack the tip of the sword. In defense we only have a f***ing handle and you're talking about contending. :help:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What you guys think about the PP and PK units?

* I'd have Petry on both PP units.
* If Dvorak gets tired cause we used him a lot, Suzuki also plays PK but in a limited role. So basically both Suzuki and Dvorak share the 2nd PK units.
* Gallagher plays on the defensive 5/5 line but we give him PP time
* Drouin gets to play PP time but I'd put him with Petry.
* Anderson gets no PP time but #1 line minutes with Suzuki/Caufield. You could have Anderson and Gallagher share the front of the net on the 1st PP depending on who does better.

Who's not happy? I feel this makes all players content to some degree in usage and ice time.

GBcFC9r.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What do we do when Byron comes back? I'm not sure cause Weber goes on LTIR and doesn't that affect accrued cap space? If nobody gets injured, I wonder what we do when Byron comes back. Something has to give at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad