Line Combos: 2021-22 lines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
Drouin/Suzuki/Canfield - drouin is still our best playmaker. He was on pace for about 40 assists over 82 last year. I think it would be crazy not to try this line. I see a lot of Anderson talks going with Suzuki and Canfield. He can’t make a pass to save his life. I don’t want him anywhere near our two best players. Love him but not with these guys.

Hoffman/Dvorak/Toffoli- very legit 2nd line. Lots of scoring potential there.

Anderson/evans/Gallagher- this could be a great new shutdown line with still good offensive upside.

Lehkonen/poehling/paquette/armia.
Very deep 4th line

this is what I want to see out of our forward group.
exactly what I'm thinking, maybe poehling 3C after a couple of weeks since I believe he does have more offensive potential then Evans, but regardless good post. Love the drouin-suzuki-caufield line could be one of the best offensive lines in the league if drouin can reach his potential

Reactions: Dondini

RoxDan11

Jul 17, 2018
I would roll these lines

Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher
Toffoli - Evans - Anderson
Lehkonen - Poehling - Armia

Give Drouin one last chance playing alongside our best C and best winger.
Drouin was developing chemistry with Suzuki in the bubble, who knows, it can happen again and with caulfield as the shooter it could help Drouin break out

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Only combos that makes sense to me. Great 1st line and great 4th line. When you try to put the remaining pieces together, the shit hits the fan and you want to stop trying.

Reactions: Holystik and ericd

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
PP1 :
Toffoli - Dvorak - Caufield
Hoffman - Suzuki

PP2 :
Anderson - Perreault - Gallagher
Drouin - Petry
This was real interesting to see sire. And so many of y'all agreed that dvorak will be the force on the new powerplay too.... :clap: What a team now. Y'alls have the powerful two centers now to build on. Dvorak never even smiled... he is a serious talent sire. You got the best. This powerplay might be one of the better ones in the new nhl also. I'ma keep my eyes on your team hard next season again. Lets see sire. Although I think Petry of couse will be in hoffman's place there from the start. But other than that milord.

Reactions: ericd

RoxDan11

Jul 17, 2018
Anderson------Suzuki------Caufield (Let our youngsters build chemistry. Anderson can keep opponents honest)
Drouin--------Dvorak------Toffoli (Tof does well with a playmaker (Drouin). Dvorak can be a responsible d-presence)
Hoffman-----Poehling-----Gallagher (Give Poehling a chance with good veteran wingers)
Lehkonen----Evans--------Armia (Great shutdown/energy line)
Perrault------Paquette (Great depth for injuries or Poehling not being ready)

Edmundson------Petry (They were great together)
Romanov---------Savard (Gotta gamble on Romanov being a top 4 pmd)
Chiarot-----------Kulak (Chiarot in a reduced role and Kulak with more confidence might work well)
Wideman (Don't really know much about him)

Price
Allen

Biggest question marks are 3c and 2nd pairing defence. At least we have 2 legit prospects (Poehling/Romanov) looking to fill these holes. If they don't work out we could be in trouble but I say give them every opportunity to prove they can do it. If it works, this is a damn good team that will win by committee.
This lineup looks very realistic, the kids got to get some type of opportunity to show they belong, and poehling redeemed himself in a big way last year in Laval. I for one could see him surpass Evans (who I think of highly in his role) in the depth chart.

Even though it would be nice to have a current superstar on the roster I do like the way the team is built to win by committee, they just need the right system, which is why I believe they had the playoff success they did.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
exactly what I'm thinking, maybe poehling 3C after a couple of weeks since I believe he does have more offensive potential then Evans, but regardless good post. Love the drouin-suzuki-caufield line could be one of the best offensive lines in the league if drouin can reach his potential

Yes I’d agree with your poehling point. Evans deserves to start at 3c I’m hoping he plays great but hope Poehling just simply out plays him and over takes 3c

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
This lineup looks very realistic, the kids got to get some type of opportunity to show they belong, and poehling redeemed himself in a big way last year in Laval. I for one could see him surpass Evans (who I think of highly in his role) in the depth chart.

Even though it would be nice to have a current superstar on the roster I do like the way the team is built to win by committee, they just need the right system, which is why I believe they had the playoff success they did.

I really hope they give Romanov in particular a real chance. I think people forget how good he looked for stretches last season, especially early on. It's not like they need him to carry the back end, they just need him to be a reliable 2nd pairing guy who can move the puck. His growth can massively change the immediate outlook of this team.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Only combos that makes sense to me. Great 1st line and great 4th line. When you try to put the remaining pieces together, the shit hits the fan and you want to stop trying.
Hopefully Drouin can shoot more, despite his wonky wrist. Otherwise, that first line will see teams key on the shots from the other two, assuming that's possible with Caufield.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm warming up to the idea that Drouin might fit well with Dvorak (5/5) and maybe Hoffman should be on the 4th line at 5/5 but get lots of PP time. So many different line combos we can tinker with and I feel we have lots of shooters which I value.

Shooters who can pick corners and are not afraid to shoot is something that has been drastically improved! A strong team D in front of Price with shooters who can make you pay for any mistakes you make in transition or in your own zone is a solid strategy!

Confident Shooters:
Suzuki
Caufield
Toffoli
Anderson
Dvorak
Hoffman
Gallagher
Armia

I really like how we have more shooters who can score vs what we had a few years ago where we had too many pass happy guys

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Drouin is butter soft and Hoffman and Toffoli may also work with Suzuki and Caufield...

I think Armia and Anderson may work on opposite wings. Armia creates turnovers and Anderson can use his speed to take an Armia path the length of the ice for scoring chances. Also Armia takes the puck to the net and Anderson is quick to get to loose pucks for garbage goals. Too bad Anderson isn't better onnthe cycle...

Lehkonen-Evans-Byron could be a good shutdown line, when Byron is back...

Gallagher and Dvorak could be a good duo. Just need to find who has chemistry with them. Maybe Drouin? Or Hoffman or Toffoli.

I have it:

Hoffman Suzuki Caufield
Drouin Dvorak Gallagher
Toffoli Evan's Armia
Lehkonen Paquette/Perrault Anderson

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield. Caufield may have top scoring instinct, but he's also the best or second best playmaker on the team. Toffoli will be able to score a lot of goals with the two best playmakers the Habs can offer. Caufield would score them anyway. Toffoli is also a very good even strength player and would help the line on the d-zone

Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallgher. A finesse East-West LW, a good responsible C and Gallagher. This recipe was successful in the past and can still be.

Drouin-Poehling-Anderson. This line is a huge risk but the offensive potential is there. Three good skaters. Two big guys. It would only be a thing at home because they would need to be sheltered but it could be interesting

Lehkonen-Evans-Armia. The shutdown line. Hardworking and reliable

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Just to throw this out there regarding C and face offs

It felt like Danault took almost every other face off for us last year, en route to taking 907 of them, 12th most in the league, where he won 52% of them, a very decent number
And i cant stress this enough, how much it seemed we relied on Danault for the majority of the face offs and how , really, losing "that" part about him was really the most devastating aspect for the most part with him

Out of nowhere, with our hand forced, we acquired a Center who last year took EVEN MORE face offs than Danault, with 1062 of them, 7th most in the league , where HE won 52% of them ... and can play PK ..and can play PP.. 17 goals to boot
So now instead of a 3C who thinks hes a 1C playing at 2C , we have a 2C whos happy to be 2C playing at 2C, with both Suzuki and Dvorak really "top 6 centers" together

Its REALLY nice to plug that gigantic Danault face off hole with something just as good or better, a very fortunate turn of events, finally something broke our way

Now, as it pertains to losing our 3rd line center in KK (which hurts, but have to move on) , 5 goals 15 assists, winning 47% of 500 face offs
Our "4th" line Center last year in Jake Evans, had 3 goals 10 assists, winning 50% of 400 face offs with 10 less games
Both showing GREAT things in the playoffs however, with Jake seemingly getting bigger responsibilities

Its not out of the realm of possibility that Jake Evans can step into that 3rd line C role and give us what our 3rd line center the last 3 years was giving us (this has nothing to do with that KK CAN become, this is merely analyzing past 3C habs production)
KK and Evans ended up really not that far apart last year (one is 21 and the other 25 also have to keep in mind, but still for arguments sake), with an upgrade in playing time and an upgrade in wingers, Jake Evans could very well thrive for us in that role next year, especially with Lehkonen on his wing (somehow lol), id give him gallagher tho
But if Gallagher gets tried with Dvorak first i have no beef with that either, just to see
And if Evans kind of falters in 3C , you NEED to try Poehling. not paquette, not perreault, it has to be a trial for Poehling first.

The whole mix is very very intriguing honestly , im only worried about D really

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Drouin was developing chemistry with Suzuki in the bubble, who knows, it can happen again and with caulfield as the shooter it could help Drouin break out
Drouin break out...........in his 8th season? All the while struggling with the fishbowl in MOntreal....
We can hope, but in reality, he will be given a 15-20 game shot, and this will be his season and possibly career in Montreal on the line, if he does not respond well.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I'm pretty convinced it'll end up being this off what was said today:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Kulak-Romanov

Price
Allen

Very excited about this lineup but Evans has to prove he can take on the 3C role. Our wingers are likely one of the best groups in the league, as is our goaltending. Hoping Romanov can take a big step this season and force himself into the top 4.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Kulak-Romanov

Price
Allen

Very excited about this lineup but Evans has to prove he can take on the 3C role. Our wingers are likely one of the best groups in the league, as is our goaltending. Hoping Romanov can take a big step this season and force himself into the top 4.
Poehling and Perrault as extras? I think Paquette is an extra, and Poehling or Perrault are in there...

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Poehling and Perrault as extras? I think Paquette is an extra, and Poehling or Perrault are in there...
Bergevin said today that his centers would be Suzuki-Dvorak-Evans-Paquette to start, which implies Poehling to start in the AHL and Perreault a healthy scratch, probably rotating in with Evans/Paquette depending on how things unfold.

Reactions: Redux91

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin said today that his centers would be Suzuki-Dvorak-Evans-Paquette to start, which implies Poehling to start in the AHL and Perreault a healthy scratch, probably rotating in with Evans/Paquette depending on how things unfold.
Oh, interesting on how he would say this, without the coach present, and no sense for any competition at camp? Strange....especially Perrault where the guy just signed as a ufa to be the 13th forward? Maybe we can still hope Drouin gets shipped out of town?

Reactions: OldCraig71

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Oh, interesting on how he would say this, without the coach present, and no sense for any competition at camp? Strange....especially Perrault where the guy just signed as a ufa to be the 13th forward? Maybe we can still hope Drouin gets shipped out of town?
I agree, seems like a coach's decision. Making me second guess myself now, since I did see this on Twitter but thought it was a good source. Wouldn't be surprised if they started this way, but definitely rooting for Poehling to make the team out of camp if for nothing else but his offensive upside.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

He didn't say that. He named his group of centers which included Paquette and Poehling, but didn't say who they were going to start with.

The 4th center will be decided in training camp/preseason.

Also worth noting that Ducharme mentioned Perreault among centers when he talked to the media during his golf tournament.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Kulak-Romanov

Price
Allen

I don't think Perreault was brought in to be an extra forward. The guy is a quality player, he was one of Winnipeg's best forwards during the series.

Reactions: Dutronc

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Kulak-Romanov

Price
Allen

Why would we play Drouin above Hoffman in the lineup? Hoffman replaces Tatar and Dvorak replaces Danault alongside Gallagher. Drouin should be fighting for a spot on the roster, no higher than the third line. He has to prove himself, he can't just walk back into a top 6 position, that sends the wrong message.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
What I want:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Hoffman Dvorak Gallagher
Drouin Perreault Anderson
Lehkonen Evans Armia

What I expect:

Drouin Suzuki Anderson
Toffoli Dvorak Gallagher
Hoffman Perreault Caufield