Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Grubauer let in weak goals at crucial times in that series. Jones came up with the big saves when needed. Gruabauer has been outplayed by every goalie in every series. Even in his time with the Caps albeit short lived lost the starting job after 2 horrible games. He really isn't that good and to top it off blew the last 2 games against Vegas and continually blames everyone but himself. He'll be bought out in Seattle, he is a backup and always was and will be. He grabbed the money cause he himself knows it.
I mean lets not pretend that Kuemper isn't the exact same, if not worse than Gru. And while Varly was an upgrade over both he was just as prone too letting in back breaking goals. Gru wasn't the answer but it's also Sakic's fault for not taking the G or C positions seriously at all.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I mean lets not pretend that Kuemper isn't the exact same, if not worse than Gru. And while Varly was an upgrade over both he was just as prone too letting in back breaking goals. Gru wasn't the answer but it's also Sakic's fault for not taking the G or C positions seriously at all.
Kuemper hasn’t even had a chance to truly settle in yet, with the weird schedule and now injury. Did you forget how bad Grubauer was when he first got here?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

If only this was Varly's last year on his contract. I'd take him as a rental in a heartbeat.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kuemper hasn’t even had a chance to truly settle in yet, with the weird schedule and now injury. Did you forget how bad Grubauer was when he first got here?
I don't forget that at all. Kuemper is the exact same level of goalie as Grubauer. So when he does turn it around it's not like we're going to have completely solved the position for the year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't forget that at all. Kuemper is the exact same level of goalie as Grubauer. So when he does turn it around it's not like we're going to have completely solved the position for the year.
We don’t really know what a settled in Kuemper looks like behind this team yet.

I have a feeling none of this will matter since Annunen is going to come in and impress, really looking forward to seeing what he can do tonight. Wouldn’t be the first time a rookie goalie comes in and lights the league on fire.

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Worst goalie I ever saw besides ...well... Miska and Johannson.

edit: Gru not Kuemper

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'd be completely fine with a Kuemper/Varly swap today.

Never thought of that. Honestly I probably would too. I think Kuemper has way more upside but Varly for two years at 5, yeah I'd swap them.

But ideally a Kuemper/Varly tandem would be awesome if they could afford it, but like I said Varly has one too many years left for that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We don’t really know what a settled in Kuemper looks like behind this team yet.

I have a feeling none of this will matter since Annunen is going to come in and impress, really looking forward to seeing what he can do tonight. Wouldn’t be the first time a rookie goalie comes in and lights the league on fire.
I mean we have his entire career to base things off of. I mean he could be an improvement over Gru, but he's never really showed that level so I don't really know why we should expect him to be a major improvement over Gru.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Gru had .925, .922 and .914 sv% in his three playoff runs with the Avs + was once a Vezina finalist.

I don't get where this Kuemper is an upgrade talk is coming from.

Reactions: oxenfree

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
At this point if we try to trade for a goalie we're going to get fleeced. It's our glaring issue and everyone knows it. Let's hope Annunen comes in, gets a big win in his first game, and plays with some confidence for a stretch while Kuemper heals up.

That or we need 5-6 goals a night, which is not going to happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Gru had .925, .922 and .914 sv% in his three playoff runs with the Avs + was once a Vezina finalist.

I don't get where this Kuemper is an upgrade talk is coming from.

People had it in their heads that Kuemper was all world, but just on a bad team. Never should have been the case, but that idea was out there. Kuemper is an average to above average goalie. He can have spurts of really good play, he also is fairly inconsistent. The Avs have a good enough team to win with an average goalie if the center position holds up... Kuemper's health is a very large question though. The Avs are not good enough or even close to win with JoJo in net.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
People had it in their heads that Kuemper was all world, but just on a bad team. Never should have been the case, but that idea was out there. Kuemper is an average to above average goalie. He can have spurts of really good play, he also is fairly inconsistent. The Avs have a good enough team to win with an average goalie if the center position holds up... Kuemper's health is a very large question though. The Avs are not good enough or even close to win with JoJo in net.
I'm not sure some of the stacked Blackhawks teams from the past decade could win with JJ

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Of course not, context and perspective are words most sports fans don't understand.

Emotional outbursts, while pointless, are far more cathartic.

Fire Sakic!

Last edited:
Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

Over the past three years prior to this one Kuemper was tied with Vasilevskiy for fifth best save percentage in the entire NHL (minimum 30 games played).

NHL Stats

GSAX (minimum 10 games per season)
2018-2019 - 13th out of 70 qualifying goaltenders
2019-2020 - 6th out of 65 qualifying goaltenders
2020-2021 - 23rd out of 66 qualifying goaltenders

NHL Goalie Statistics

I have no clue what you consider average, but nothing about his most recent body of work aligns with the label.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Over the past three years prior to this one Kuemper was tied with Vasilevskiy for fifth best save percentage in the entire NHL (minimum 30 games played).

NHL Stats

GSAX (minimum 10 games per season)
2018-2019 - 13th out of 70 qualifying goaltenders
2019-2020 - 6th out of 65 qualifying goaltenders
2020-2021 - 23rd out of 66 qualifying goaltenders

NHL Goalie Statistics

I have no clue what you consider average, but nothing about his most recent body of work aligns with the label.

He's an average to above average starting goalie. Meaning he is in the 10-20 range league wide. The stats can get skewed on goalies really easily. You could easily make a statistical argument that Gibson is barely a starting level NHL goalie... but eye test is pretty clear he's a top 5 guy. This year he's been the best goalie in the league. That said, I'd expect Kuemper to have those GSAX numbers being in that range. 6th was too high, 23rd was too low... 13th is about right. Arizona was a bad team, but a team well structured defensively to overcome his issues (beyond health). He faced a good amount of shots from far out and didn't have many rush opportunities against. He gave up plenty of rebounds, but he's pretty good in close with his legs. Kuemper's weakness are plays off the rush and the 15-25' sweet spot where players can pinpoint the upper part of the net. The Avs' system will naturally give up some rush chances and Kuemper is struggling with those. They also rely on goalies to make that ~20' save fairly routinely. The big difference between Grubauer's play last year and Kuemper's this year is the rush... Grubi was excellent off the rush and Kuemper hasn't been. Both have their mid range struggles, just on different sides of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad