Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Well let's just stop doing anything without testing before we leave the house everyday then, because that is where that logic goes.
That’s exactly why I’m at home on this message board tonight, got the exposure notification. I’m vaccinated and had Covid. I also always wear a super 14 layer HEPA filter mask when I’m out (so I’m probably good). However, I didn’t want to risk people getting sick so I’m waiting to get a test.

Some people can’t even wear a mask, let alone get a test to possibly not kill people. I honestly wish we could do something like that, bi weekly tests or something for everyone or something but then we might have tough guys with assault rifles scare some governors in their offices so that’ll never happen.

It’s weird but some of us aren’t as inconvenienced as others if it means possibly saving someone’s life and ending this crap sooner.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Any chance that if I created a virus thread y'all would keep the conversations there? I'd like to keep this thread centered on injuries to our players if possible.
Well we don't have Avs hockey for over a week to talk about injuries.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well we don't have Avs hockey for over a week to talk about injuries.

I mean, I consider myself to have become a rather balanced minded person. I understand the limits of science and I understand the extreme frustration some people have with the way things are now. I don't expect folks to see things my way nor do I expect to necessarily change my mind until it's proven false.

The big thing is, if feels like this conversation has broken out repeatedly in multiple threads with the same people saying the same thing. I respect them for voicing their opinions but I also like keeping the threads sorta on track. I know that since we don't have mods anymore that nobody really does any housekeeping but still. Meh, maybe I'm just getting old. I remember Bubba bitching about this when the virus first broke out too.

Reactions: Islay1989

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I mean, I consider myself to have become a rather balanced minded person. I understand the limits of science and I understand the extreme frustration some people have with the way things are now. I don't expect folks to see things my way nor do I expect to necessarily change my mind until it's proven false.

The big thing is, if feels like this conversation has broken out repeatedly in multiple threads with the same people saying the same thing. I respect them for voicing their opinions but I also like keeping the threads sorta on track. I know that since we don't have mods anymore that nobody really does any housekeeping but still. Meh, maybe I'm just getting old. I remember Bubba bitching about this when the virus first broke out too.
I respect that and will not mention covid in this thread again. Besides, I don't even have anything else to say about it anyway

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not testing doesn't solve anything. It might bring down the amount of players who are positive for covid, but it's not a productive move. These players have families, and parents. They deserve to know if they are carrying a deadly disease.

If they want to know, can they not take the tests on their own?

You analogy on the bills not existing because you don't check the mail is so faulty. The bills were never real, the risk to vaccinated players is near zero. They could spread it to others, but that's on them to take precautions knowing they are higher risk. Just like if you work in retail and 500 people come talk to you a day, you probably should take care before going to see grandma.

The players did the right thing, all but one getting vaccinated. That's good for the league and good for society. But where we fail as a society is when we say to people who got the vaccines you know we still don't trust you, we are going to subject you to more testing than almost anyone out there.

The only way to influence human behavior is use the carrot and stick principle. You get vaccinated, you get rewarded. They are taking those awards away now with the testing and these new rules for road trips. Those who go unvaccinated in society are getting treated far better than pro athletes all in the name of PR. I'm glad the NFL stepped up and said enough is enough on this.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

I'm with you, I'd like to see this stuff stay out of hockey threads. Like you said, it's bleeding into a lot of threads and for me, hockey is an escape from other things going on.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Not testing doesn't solve anything. It might bring down the amount of players who are positive for covid, but it's not a productive move. These players have families, and parents. They deserve to know if they are carrying a deadly disease.

So should the whole population test everyday then? I mean most of us work with other ppl and have families

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I hope the guys who have COVID have minor, or no symptoms, but this isn’t a bad time for the team to have a layoff.

Landeskog will probably only miss another game, or two after they come back. Kadri and Makar have both been battling through injuries, so maybe the time away helps a bit.

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
Haven't followed everything in this thread but I'm sure I'm not the only one ecstatic that we're not playing until the 27th... Great period of time to let everyone get over this hump, maybe (hopefully?) get these boosters into teams ASAP, and carry on into the new year fresh and not sickly and not injured for f***ing once this season! In any case, I'll take 1.5 weeks of no hockey over a broken-ass, half-roster full of AHL guys like uhhhhhhh Gross. No thanks.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think the whole league should pause, let everyone get healthy, cancel the Olympics, and stop testing asymptomatic players. This may cause problems with US-Canada travel, but they can get exemptions. Probably no or limited fans in the stands again.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think the whole league should pause, let everyone get healthy, cancel the Olympics, and stop testing asymptomatic players. This may cause problems with US-Canada travel, but they can get exemptions. Probably no or limited fans in the stands again.

I don't get what having fans in the stands matters or not. That's a whole parallel universe to deal with, but sure seems like unless some data really turns the wrong way there won't be a change in policy beyond the vaccination requirements to get in that we already have. And I don't buy the argument that everyone gets healthy with a pause. There will be some teams who don't get the worst of it now or for the next few weeks and then as play resumes they will get it and will the league shut down then? Will it be fair to those teams that everyone says sorry we had our break already so you guys get to suffer with short lineups?

And anyways what I like about the NFL's declaration is there is real science behind it. Its easy to get some small amount of virus in your system if its in community spread. If you have that small amount and test positive, that doesn't mean you are necessarily infectious to others. Its just your body is in the midst of producing the antibodies to begin the removal of it from your system, you may not even have enough replication in your body already to lead to spread. So yes technically all these players with asymptomatic virus are infected, but the risk of them getting sick is quite low if they have been vaccinated because their body should have the means to remove the virus and you'd assume a professional athlete has a pretty healthy immune system. A person with symptoms is a much different issue, that means they got a larger load and it will take longer for their body to remove the virus and why in symptoms they are far likelier to spread it. This is why it makes all the sense to test anyone with symptoms and work on controlling them.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Having symptoms does not mean increased viral load, and asymptomatic carriers can transmit the virus too. What I can agree with is that athletes are young and in shape, so highly unlikely to even have serious symptoms.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Having symptoms does not mean increased viral load, and asymptomatic carriers can transmit the virus too. What I can agree with is that athletes are young and in shape, so highly unlikely to even have serious symptoms.
Which ultimately is a pointless fact because they come in contact with all sorts of people including older coaches, staff members, family, friends, etc. The league can't let the virus run freely within its players for the same reason why we can't do it with the rest of society.

Also all it takes to ruin a career and potentially getting sued is one player getting long COVID (and statistically it would happen eventually).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad