Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
And Peter Holland before that. Was meant to be the next Getzlaf but ended up being a fringe NHLer.

We were able to salvage that pick, though very disappointing. Holland looked very promising in the AHL, but couldn't translate it to the NHL.

2013 Trade
To Leafs: Holland and Staubitz
To Ducks: D Blacker, 2014 3rd Conditional (if Holland plays 25 NHL games, then it becomes a 2nd rounder), and a 2014 7th round pick
3rd rd pick became a 2nd rd pick, D Marcus Pettersson
7th rd pick became F Ondrej Kase​

2018 Trade
To Pit: D Pettersson
To Ducks: F Sprong​

2020 Trade
To Wash: F Sprong
To Ducks: D Djoos​

To Boston: F Kase
To Ducks: C Backes, prospect RHD Axel Andersson, and 2020 1st round pick (picks 27 - 31 range)​

Essentially, Holland got us D Djoos, C Backes, prospect RHD Andersson, and late 2020 1st round pick. Crazy to think the 2013 first round pick is being paid forward to 2020 1st round pick. The reason we traded F Kase is because of constant injuries.

Also, Ritchie got us winger Danton Heinen.

Even though the big guys we drafted in the top-15 haven't panned out for us, we still were able to salvage that drafted capital somehow. It's still early to tell if we came out on top from the Holland gift or Ritchie's trade because we only had 9 games of Djoos and Heinen, we don't know what we have in Andersson, and the late 1st round pick will be an unknown for another two to three years.

With the late 2020 1st round pick, I think it'll be a RHD, Grans or Barron. With Grans, he'll be another reiteration of Shea Theodore - lots of offensive potential, but dat defense tho leaves a lot to be desired. Barron is just an all around solid defenseman who may have some upside, but not a projected top pairing defenseman talent at this time. That upside is his health set him back in development because he used to be talk about being one of the top defensemen going into 2020 NHL draft, which is why he's dropped to the bottom of the first or top of the 2nd round.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I agree, we need grit. It’s ok if they are small, but they need heart and work ethic on and off the ice so they continue to improve and lead by example.

Our likely options will come down to Rossi, Drysdale, Perfetti, Holtz, and Raymond. I’m having intangible doubts on Perfetti and Holtz... and both aren’t elite skaters or show that doggedness.

I’m leaning towards Drysdale/Raymond hoping that we can get a small gritty scoring forward similar to Rossi with our 2nd 1st rounder in guys like Khusnutdinov or Ozzy. But both are starting to trend up so we might not get a shot now.

If we miss out on Drysdale... I’m not sure what offensive dman we would target. Viro or Powell in the 3rd?

we could be in a position to grab poirier with our second if they think we can develop his two way skills. Tons of mixed opinions on him but I hope we continue to draft for skill and upside

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think the Ducks should use the 6th overall on a forward.

We know the Ducks have better success of drafting defensemen late in the first round and beyond. The recent draft picks had praises with 2nd round pick LaCombe and 4th round pick Thrun as proof of finding quality talent later in the draft. Also, with potentially having their top-5 out of 6 blue line roster spots set for the next couple of years or longer at the NHL level, the Ducks should use the sixth overall on a forward because it feels as though we can't develop them. Zegras is a top-10 pick and pushing for an NHL roster spot after a year in college. Maybe we need a high level forward talent that we don't have to develop much because the prospect is so far ahead of the curve compared to what we're used to drafting, which are late first round talent or beyond.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agree, we need grit. It’s ok if they are small, but they need heart and work ethic on and off the ice so they continue to improve and lead by example.

Our likely options will come down to Rossi, Drysdale, Perfetti, Holtz, and Raymond. I’m having intangible doubts on Perfetti and Holtz... and both aren’t elite skaters or show that doggedness.

I’m leaning towards Drysdale/Raymond hoping that we can get a small gritty scoring forward similar to Rossi with our 2nd 1st rounder in guys like Khusnutdinov or Ozzy. But both are starting to trend up so we might not get a shot now.

If we miss out on Drysdale... I’m not sure what offensive dman we would target. Viro or Powell in the 3rd?

While Holtz doesn't possess elite skating, he's an above average skater to where it's one of his strengths. If you use that "elite" skating as your threshold, then you also gotta mark down Rossi for not being "elite".

As for grit, it would be nice if a top talent has that part of their makeup. Zegras has grit, but he's more known for his talent first. Our problem is scoring goals. There's two prospects who are adept at scoring goals in Holtz and Quinn. Quinn's scoring prowess came out of nowhere and Holtz is the known product for years that's always met or exceeded expectations. Another aspect about Holtz is he adapted well to playing against men as a 17-year old better than Raymond adapted to playing against men. While that doesn't necessarily show grit, it does show Holtz can rise up to the physical demands of playing against men.

We do have a plethora of two-way players and prospects. We're lacking with actual goal scoring talent.

Here's the latest THW mock, Aug 18th:

1. NYR: LW Lafreniere
2. LA: C Byfield
3. Ott: C Stutzle
4. Det: C Rossi
5. Ott: RW Holtz
6. Ana: D Drysdale​

Kinda scary for me seeing Holtz getting drafted in the top-5 because there goes the top goal scorer and because probably steam might be picking up for Holtz to be drafted in the top-5.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Sorry to keep bringing the conversation back to Drysdale but I just don't get it at all.

-He's supposed to be an elite skater but some reports say Sanderson is actually the better skater.
-He put up a bunch of points but the OHL was historically awful in GA this year.
-People point to Erie's bad power play and say "Look he could have had even more points" but as the PP QB shouldn't he shoulder some responsibility for that underperformance?
-He's nowhere near as good as Makar, Hughes, etc. who are the only defensemen who should be going this high.

I hate to say this but the obvious comparison is Cam Fowler. I love Cam but Drysdale is looking at that same career trajectory where he always looks good out there because of his skating yet he always leaves you wanting more. And he's like Cam in that he seems like he would be good on the PP because he's perceived as an offensive defenseman but he never quite puts up the production. If you asked me right now if I'd take Drysdale knowing he'd have the exact same career as Cam I think I would say no.

And I like Sanderson but I don't know if I like him enough to use #6 on him.

At this point I say we just take whichever forward falls to us we like. Let someone else take those defensemen.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Been saying that, drysdale is RH Fowler. Sanderson is Slavin 2.0.

Drysdale definitely has better edges and agility but Sanderson has a straight nhl power stride.

I rather get a forward at #6 but we might end up with a D man. I'm curious what our draft board looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlstine

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Been saying that, drysdale is RH Fowler. Sanderson is Slavin 2.0.

Drysdale definitely has better edges and agility but Sanderson has a straight nhl power stride.

I rather get a forward at #6 but we might end up with a D man. I'm curious what our draft board looks like.

For sure. I say we just take whoever's left of Perfetti/Raymond/Rossi and call it a day.

Oct 18, 2011
I don't see the Fowler comp on the tape Drysdale has A higher hockey IQ in the offensive zone to me. Sanderson I see as a big time player if everything goes right but I feel more certainty with Drysdale

There's also the school of thought that you don't use high picks on dmen unless they are just can't miss guys.

My problem with Rossi is he's a small player who isn't fast and as we're seeing with Steel the adjustment for that type of player to pro is difficult

I also don't know about organizationally if building around smallish centers will work I am not obsessed with size but ideally when building down the middle you'd like some there

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I don't see the Fowler comp on the tape Drysdale has A higher hockey IQ in the offensive zone to me. Sanderson I see as a big time player if everything goes right but I feel more certainty with Drysdale

There's also the school of thought that you don't use high picks on dmen unless they are just can't miss guys.

My problem with Rossi is he's a small player who isn't fast and as we're seeing with Steel the adjustment for that type of player to pro is difficult

I also don't know about organizationally if building around smallish centers will work I am not obsessed with size but ideally when building down the middle you'd like some there
I've warmed up on Rossi lately, i believe he will be a great player in the NHL just maybe not as a Center but as a Winger but there is still a chance he gets faster and stays at center like Tyler Johnson & Brayden Point.

I see Rossi as high floor player who will at the very least become a dynamic winger and the ceiling that he becomes a top line center if his speed continues to improve.
With his work ethic, he likely improves at everything in his game and i see him being more a shooter than Zegras so if he does end up playing on the Wing of Zegras he'd be the one who shoots.

I don't care for Size anymore, its only when a player has neither speed or size that i see more risk.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sorry to keep bringing the conversation back to Drysdale but I just don't get it at all.

-He's supposed to be an elite skater but some reports say Sanderson is actually the better skater.
-He put up a bunch of points but the OHL was historically awful in GA this year.
-People point to Erie's bad power play and say "Look he could have had even more points" but as the PP QB shouldn't he shoulder some responsibility for that underperformance?
-He's nowhere near as good as Makar, Hughes, etc. who are the only defensemen who should be going this high.

I hate to say this but the obvious comparison is Cam Fowler. I love Cam but Drysdale is looking at that same career trajectory where he always looks good out there because of his skating yet he always leaves you wanting more. And he's like Cam in that he seems like he would be good on the PP because he's perceived as an offensive defenseman but he never quite puts up the production. If you asked me right now if I'd take Drysdale knowing he'd have the exact same career as Cam I think I would say no.

And I like Sanderson but I don't know if I like him enough to use #6 on him.

At this point I say we just take whichever forward falls to us we like. Let someone else take those defensemen.

I re-watch Draft Dynasty's video scouting report on both, which provides more extensive evaluations. Some may not agree with it, but it is far more extensive than a blurb of five paragraphs as well as has video support to his opinion.

- Sanderson has great acceleration and his skating is one of his best attributes. Drysdale maybe on another level, especially when you include he loves skating backwards without any detriment.

- As for GA and points, this might be the Shea Theodore Twist. Theodore got bashed for his negative plus/minus rating, but if you looked at his whole team, then you'll notice just how abysmal that team was for two seasons.
Drysdale D-1 Stats: 63 games, 7 g, 40 pts, and - 24 plus/minus rating.
............................... Only one player had a positive plus/minus rating, but he only played in half the games for Drysdale's team.
Drysdale D Stats: 49 games, 9 g, 47 pts, and + 9 plus/minus rating. Half the team was in negative plus/minus rating.
............................... There were only two defensemen with a positive plus/minus rating on the team.​

If you watched DD's video scouting report, DD cites how Drysdales always had to cover up his defensive partner because he's a slow skater.

- As for the PP, DD denoted the team just didn't have many finishers on the team. DD also cited how Drysdale league the league in first assists. Yet, DD also stated that Drysdale should be on the PP2 unit, not PP1 unit, but could be if needed. (Think Djoos.)

It's a bit unfair to pin the blame on one player for the lack of PP production when there's four other players on the ice, who are probably forwards. Look as us. Our PP sucks, but most of us will pin the blame that we have no finishers on the team. When fans ponder about finishers, no one is automatically thinking defensemen. You don't trot out a defenseman to be the first shooter in a shootout. If we don't have finishers on the team, then a defenseman can't get any assist points. Yet, DD notices Drysdale does set up his teammates often and they can't finish the deal for a score.

Drysdale might be better than Cam. Both are puck moving defensemen, but Drysdale is probably better defensively as well as not rattled as much as Cam. We know Cam isn't a top pairing defenseman, but I can see Drysdale being a top-pairing defensemen. To be fair, though, we might have screwed Cam up because we pushed him onto the NHL as an 18-year old who really had no business being on the NHL save the fact the Ducks were lacking talent on the ice (which is why C Isac Lundestrom played as an 18-year old with the Ducks).

I don't think Drysdale is getting enough acclaim for his defensive game when compared to Sanderson, who's a big, fast shutdown defenseman who loves to dish out big hits! Drysdale plays his defense differently, but doesn't have that highlight reel hitting.

Jamie is a two-way defensemen with the potential to put up a lot of points. Sanderson is a shutdown defenseman with the potential to put up points. IMO, Sanderson reminds me a lot about Hampus. Drysdale projects better than Fowler. If we were to pick between the two defensemen, then I'm going with Drysdale because his offensive game becomes a valued asset to our lack of scoring.

We have a good defensive system if it's healthy. That's already established. We lack offense from the blue line. This is why we drafted LaCombe in the 2nd round over Thrun, who went in the 4th round. (Thrun went in the 4th round because of his lack of skating speed, iirc as per Pronman.) Also, we signed Kodie Curran over from across the pond to help with the lacking of offense.

Helge Grans was a player I was projecting to the Ducks before the season started because I assumed we'd be picking in the 20's for the 2020 NHL draft. A tall, offensive RHD player. When we were set to be 7 of the non-playoff teams, I was hoping that RHD Drysdale would fall to us. Once we settled 6th overall, then I started watching other scouting reports. RW Holtz just screamed like the donkey on Shrek, "oh oh oh. Pick me! Pick me!" We lack a proven finisher. We have no backup plan to Rakell. If you watch DD's video scouting report along with HockeyNews video biography of Holtz and Raymond, then you should come away with a better impression of Holtz than simply a one-trick pony sniper.

For me, I go RW Holtz before RHD Drysdale. Those are the two prospects I'm eyeballing to the Ducks. Again, those are just my preferences based upon where the Ducks are now and what they will need going forward.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
One problem i have with them drafting Drysdale or Sanderson is, i want a Hughes, Makar or Heiskenen when drafting a OFD as high as #6.
Drysdale aka Cam Fowler 2.0 is a nice player to get if ur drafting #10 to #15
but when ur a teaming drafting #6 that needs high end forwards or high end Dman i want more than a Fowler who struggles to reach 40 points in the regular season.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
One problem i have with them drafting Drysdale or Sanderson is, i want a Hughes, Makar or Heiskenen when drafting a OFD as high as #6.
Drysdale aka Cam Fowler 2.0 is a nice player to get if ur drafting #10 to #15
but when ur a teaming drafting #6 that needs high end forwards or high end Dman i want more than a Fowler who struggles to reach 40 points in the regular season.
If you want a player like that then you need to win the lottery or luck out on a player. At 6 in this draft you get a decent high end player who could be a first liner with a small chance they become elite.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If you want a player like that then you need to win the lottery or luck out on a player. At 6 in this draft you get a decent high end player who could be a first liner with a small chance they become elite.

I think that’s kinda the point about taking Drysdale. Feels like there’s a better shot of hitting a home run with a forward this draft. The fact that we might get to take the first D taken isn’t as appealing as it normally is.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
can someone explain what pick the bruins pick will/could be. I am trying to determine if Boston/Tampa series affects it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
can someone explain what pick the bruins pick will/could be. I am trying to determine if Boston/Tampa series affects it.
If Boston loses it will be 27th. If they reach the ECF and lose, it will be 29th. If they make the finals and lose, 30th. Obviously if they win, 31st.

Reactions: Duck Off

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No, we’re not!
I assume ''37'' in your username does not stand for Yanni Gourde :sarcasm:

I like the B`s and some of my friends are B`s fans, but without Rask I feel you guys don't have a chance, unfortunately. And my colleague is an Isles fan and I jumped on the wagon. If they advance I feel like they have a better chance to beat Tampa than the B`s.
So, whatevs, but I would actually prefer Tampa to win

200.gif

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like the Bs also but I am rooting for Tampa. It means we draft slightly higher and I want to see Hedman get a cup before their window closes for good. I think they’ve got a couple of years of being competitive before they will need to retool a bit.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I have some money on tampa (Pinata pick, totally random luck to get them) so i'll gladly cheer for tampa.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Holtz scored two goals in a training match recently. He just loves scoring goals.

No idea what the youtube video is saying, but I google translated the caption and description. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad