Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Personally the only way I draft a goalie with a top 10 pick is if you guarantee he’s the next Dominik Hasek. Goalies just don’t carry the same value as prospects or when they’re fully developed that skaters do.

Not to mention if a projected goalie doesn’t meet expectations you probably end up with a dime a dozen backup. If a projected first liner doesn’t pan out you may still get a decent second or third liner out of them which is of far more value than a bench warming goalie.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Even if Askarov was a guaranteed Dominik Hasek, what would we do with him? He'd be better than Gibson, but Gibson is already a great goalie. Would the smaller upgrade from Gibson to Hasek Jr. carry more value to this team than the upgrade to our depleted skater prospect core that a player like Raymond or Rossi would provide? And then we have a problem where one of those two goalies needs to be traded, and the track record on returns for good goalies isn't exactly the greatest, as opposed to any position where it's not a bad thing to have Malkin-and-Crosby style depth. Gibson, for instance, is worth a lot more to this team than he'd ever get back in trade.

And plus, on top of Gibson, we have Dostal in the system as well. He may not be Hasek Jr. but we are the furthest thing from needing any help in our goalie pipeline. BPA is generally the rule, but goalies are the exception.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Ide do it if we could pull byram + 1st or newhook +

that would fill a huge need either way and we have a goalie prospect to grow with the new window

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Even if Askarov was a guaranteed Dominik Hasek, what would we do with him? He'd be better than Gibson, but Gibson is already a great goalie. Would the smaller upgrade from Gibson to Hasek Jr. carry more value to this team than the upgrade to our depleted skater prospect core that a player like Raymond or Rossi would provide? And then we have a problem where one of those two goalies needs to be traded, and the track record on returns for good goalies isn't exactly the greatest, as opposed to any position where it's not a bad thing to have Malkin-and-Crosby style depth. Gibson, for instance, is worth a lot more to this team than he'd ever get back in trade.

And plus, on top of Gibson, we have Dostal in the system as well. He may not be Hasek Jr. but we are the furthest thing from needing any help in our goalie pipeline. BPA is generally the rule, but goalies are the exception.

If the ducks drafted Askarov, they'd trade Gibson within the next 1-3 years, get a bunch of good assets, and save a decent amount of salary.

The argument for doing this is, if you thinks the ducks are 2-4 years away from being competitive, then Gibson isn't a game changer during that time. Gibson has a lot of value and Askarov comes to the NHL just in time for the next 5+ year window. I really like Gibson and think he's elite, but on a rebuilding team his value (or perhaps impact) is diminished.

Just to be clear, no way the ducks should draft him at 6. But I think a decent argument can be made for trading Manson/Rakell or other current NHL assets (not Lindholm) for a pick in the 10 range with the intention of drafting Askarov.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think the idea that the Kings are absolutely not drafting Drysdale is pretty stupid. We’ve seen way crazier shit than that happen before. Drysdale has been a top 5 or 6 prospect the entire year...it’s not that insane.
I think the probably just go with Byfield or stuzle but we shall see

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
If the ducks drafted Askarov, they'd trade Gibson within the next 1-3 years, get a bunch of good assets
I agree with most of your post -- Askarov would fit with our timetables a bit better -- but this is the questionable part. Shipping goalies out in trade isn't an easy deal (Andersen fetching as much as he did was a bit of an outlier, even), and it's hardly likely that we'll get a return worth the original Manson++/Rakell+ that we shipped out for the Askarov pick in the first place.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ottawa is really the team to get Askarov. They could either take him at #5 or trade the #5 down to #8 and select Askarov as well as gaining other assets.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I want the draft to happen already! Too much time to change my mind on who I want to draft I just want to pick someone.

Rossi I think is my #1 if our scouts are positive he can be a C in the NHL. If not then pass.
Drysdale fills a huge need for us being a RD & offensive D which otherwise would be hard to get late in the draft and with the players in this range being so even, he is my #2.
Jarvis is my #3, fast skillful RW that works his ass off and has improved so much over the last couple years that his trajectory has him as a future star.

Reactions: Sam Steel and Kalv
Oct 18, 2011
any team drafting a goalie in the top 10 is an idiot imo. The last superstar goalie to go in the top 10 was Price and even he isn't winning a cup himself. Goalies are too much of a crapshoot to waste one of this teams few high picks it ever gets for a goalie when we do not need a goalie in the system.
I went and looked back at the last 10 drafts in the top 10 and there's alot of misses on defense too. I dont think it's fair to just label goalies that way

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Interesting this mock has us taking Lapierre with our second first.

In an article posted this morning in the athletic Hendrix Lapierre was the guy 4 out of 7 scouts said would be the main player who you’d expect to go high but dropped for whatever reason (his being health)

one scout said he’s easily a top ten talent but several injuries including a head shot plagued him this season
Comtois all over again, love that

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I agree with most of your post -- Askarov would fit with our timetables a bit better -- but this is the questionable part. Shipping goalies out in trade isn't an easy deal (Andersen fetching as much as he did was a bit of an outlier, even), and it's hardly likely that we'll get a return worth the original Manson++/Rakell+ that we shipped out for the Askarov pick in the first place.

This offseason, it might be tough to trade Gibson given the glut of goalies and a flat cap. But most years, it would not be. He's a top 3-5 goalie with a great contract -- compare his cap hit to his piers (bobrovsky, price, Vasilevskiy) and Gibson is a bargain.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Why are we talking about trading our best player that is the only reason to watch games?

Are we trying to lose every fan we can?

Reactions: DuckRogers10

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Why are we talking about trading our best player that is the only reason to watch games?

Are we trying to lose every fan we can?

Because I don't want the ducks to be mediocre for 5+ years and every option should be considered. And if you look at my original post, I said the ducks should consider this if they can acquire another pick and draft Askarov. Only then would you consider trading Gibson at some point.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Because I don't want the ducks to be mediocre for 5+ years and every option should be considered. And if you look at my original post, I said the ducks should consider this if they can acquire another pick and draft Askarov. Only then would you consider trading Gibson at some point.
Trade the best goalie in the league for someone that might pan out and be an NHL goalie, sounds like good odds. Goalies are hard to evaluate I rather keep the one that is the best in the league right now and still semi young. If we traded Gibson we would start who? With our defense and offense we would be literally unwatchable and all the fans we lost from COV19/no playoffs/shit team/etc. would be magnified.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Trade the best goalie in the league for someone that might pan out and be an NHL goalie, sounds like good odds. Goalies are hard to evaluate I rather keep the one that is the best in the league right now and still semi young. If we traded Gibson we would start who? With our defense and offense we would be literally unwatchable and all the fans we lost from COV19/no playoffs/shit team/etc. would be magnified.

First of all, Gibson is not the best goalie in the league. Top 3-4 I would say. Certainly last year was not a good year for him (partly because the team was bad). I do think he's the best value as a goalie, because his contract is solid and he's top tier based on his body of work the last 4 years.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if you read what a I'm actually writing. I said if the ducks draft Askarov - widely considered the top goalie prospect in years - then in the next 1-3 years they should consider trading Gibson. That assumes Askarov is as promised. Obviously you don't trade Gibson if you don't draft Askarov or he doesn't pan out. I also specifically said I would not draft Askarov at 6 but instead would try to trade into the top 8-14 picks if you can get him there.

And all of this is in the context of the ducks doing something out of the box. Acquiring a player that at first glance they don't need (Askarov) so that you can eventually trade one of your better assets is smart, particularly when Gibson's prime will be somewhat wasted on a rebuilding ducks team. Murray and the ducks have been far to complacent and wasted upside opportunities. It's time to take more risk and acquire a higher level of talent.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I said if the ducks draft Askarov - widely considered the top goalie prospect in years - then in the next 1-3 years they should consider trading Gibson. That assumes Askarov is as promised. Obviously you don't trade Gibson if you don't draft Askarov or he doesn't pan out. I also specifically said I would not draft Askarov at 6 but instead would try to trade into the top 8-14 picks if you can get him there.

Exactly. Askarov will need time anyway! He would be my pick for sure..

As I said before, I know the Ducks won't draft Askarov. I would love it if they did though. Keep Gibson for another 2-3 years, and then trade him for a high-quality return.

Trade the best goalie in the league for someone that might pan out and be an NHL goalie, sounds like good odds.

He is not the best goalie in the league. Don't even go there, lol. Askarov, from what has been reported, would have a higher potential than Gibby.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
If you traded Gibson and Vas teams, Gibson would easily be the best goalie in the league imo. He is on one of the worst team no offense at all and so many defensive lapse.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think the idea that the Kings are absolutely not drafting Drysdale is pretty stupid. We’ve seen way crazier shit than that happen before. Drysdale has been a top 5 or 6 prospect the entire year...it’s not that insane.
I think the probably just go with Byfield or stuzle but we shall see
For whatever reason a lot of people think they know exactly how the draft is going to play out. Thats always been weird to me. The media draft rankings are not necessarily always perfect.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Scott Wheeler released an update to his top 100 draft prospects. Biggest surprise: Stutzle dropped all the way down to 7. Man, I would be overjoyed if the Ducks were able to land him.

Here’s his top 10:
1) Laf
2) Byfield
3) Rossi
4) Perfetti
5) Raymond
6) Holtz
7) Stutzle
8) Drysdale
9) Lundell
10) Gunler

Reactions: Duck Off

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Scott Wheeler released an update to his top 100 draft prospects. Biggest surprise: Stutzle dropped all the way down to 7. Man, I would be overjoyed if the Ducks were able to land him.

Here’s his top 10:
1) Laf
2) Byfield
3) Rossi
4) Perfetti
5) Raymond
6) Holtz
7) Stutzle
8) Drysdale
9) Lundell
10) Gunler
Elite Prospects has Stutzle at 8. I'm thinking there just aren't any bad choices in the top 10 or so.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Would you guys trade the 6th for Turcotte?

If it goes the top 3 then Rossi and Raymond I think it could be a good option considering the Kings prospect pool.
I would rather have Turcotte then Holtz or Perfetti.

Reactions: Sam Steel

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Would you guys trade the 6th for Turcotte?

If it goes the top 3 then Rossi and Raymond I think it could be a good option considering the Kings prospect pool.
I would rather have Turcotte then Holtz or Perfetti.
I would prefer Drysdale

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Here’s his top 10:
1) Laf
2) Byfield
3) Rossi
4) Perfetti
5) Raymond
6) Holtz
7) Stutzle
8) Drysdale
9) Lundell
10) Gunler
Alot of GMs would have to have strokes for Stutzle to fall to #7 and for Holtz to go before Stutzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad