2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Stutzle just feels like a perfect fit in that 2C spot right behind Zibanejad. Just love the high-end skill.
I think that Holloway's game seems to fit with what Gorton/Quinn are building.

And again, Mysak is the early dark horse. But impossible to be able to think where he winds up as far as draft position goes. At least as of today.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think that Holloway's game seems to fit with what Gorton/Quinn are building.

And again, Mysak is the early dark horse. But impossible to be able to think where he winds up as far as draft position goes. At least as of today.

Not with the direction they’re gone the past three 1st rounds.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Not with the direction they’re gone the past three 1st rounds.
The only real unifying thing I see from the past 3 first rounds is good players with a good head on their shoulders, and with pretty much every other trait there’s at least one outlier in the group

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The only real unifying thing I see from the past 3 first rounds is good players with a good head on their shoulders, and with pretty much every other trait there’s at least one outlier in the group

I think they’re targeting European high-end skill, although Kakko was a no-brainer. I guess that their supposed like of Zegras has me thinking Stutzle fits the same mood.

Then again, it’s September...there’s a lot of time to change my opinion repeatedly.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think they’re targeting European high-end skill, although Kakko was a no-brainer. I guess that their supposed like of Zegras has me thinking Stutzle fits the same mood.

Then again, it’s September...there’s a lot of time to change my opinion repeatedly.
They also traded up for Miller though

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

I think they're simply looking to amass as much talent as possible. They seem to have a specific framework for the types of players they like and select them accordingly. In obvious cases like Kakko, it's a no brainer for who they'll pick, but it has been interesting to see the nuance they've used in the two most recent drafts.

For the start of this year with NA prospects, I'm keeping an eye on Lapierre, Foudy, and Sourdif since I think those are the primary names that'll be available in that 7-12 spot. The USDP is gonna be weak this season, but I still like Tuch, Smilinac, and Peterson. Beniers is the crown jewel of the crop, but he's a 2021 draftee.

Reactions: Trxjw

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Byfield is exactly what this team needs. You could put a tight lid on the rebuild after drafting him.
There is a good chance that to get him, a team would need to pick in the top 2. I do think that the Rangers will be a lottery team, so there is a chance. But thinking that maybe a 6-10 range is probably best to guestimate on who will be available.

Reactions: Trxjw and jas

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
If we do not win the lottery, and there is obviously a good chance that we do not (especially given the historical luck of this franchise), I think a better question that should be debated is:

If the Rangers are slotted somewhere between 4-10, what can they give up (including their own first round pick) to move up to 2-3 to get him?

I assume we have to have desirable ammo. And of course it depends on the teams who we would be trying to trade with, their needs, etc.

But is there any historical precedence?

Does #6 overall and say, Buchnevich, move the needle to return #2 overall? How about #6, Buch, and Nils Lundkvist? Do you do that deal for Byfield? I think I do, given our long term options and depth at RD.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
If we do not win the lottery, and there is obviously a good chance that we do not (especially given the historical luck of this franchise), I think a better question that should be debated is:

If the Rangers are slotted somewhere between 4-10, what can they give up (including their own first round pick) to move up to 2-3 to get him?

I assume we have to have desirable ammo. And of course it depends on the teams who we would be trying to trade with, their needs, etc.

Does #6 overall and say, Buchnevich, move the needle to return #2 overall? How about #6, Buch, and Nils Lundkvist? Do you do that deal for Byfield? I think I do, given our long term options and depth at RD.

As much as I love Byfield, there are certainly other very very strong C options around. I don't think that any team in next years top 5 will move out via trade.

We'd have to win the lottery, everything else is too expensive. I certainly wouldn't want to trade Lundkvist.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I doubt that Gorton has been stocking the cupboard just to now begin to unload depth. Which brings me to Buchnevich. I think that either he or Kreider are traded by the TDL. The fruits of that deal may well be what it takes to move up in next year's draft. Providing of course that someone who Gorton has targeted is falling to an area in which he feels comfortable to strike.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Teams don’t make those types of trades anymore. Dallas refused to trade down in 2017 because they were locked on to Heiskanen. If Byfield is all he’s cracked up to be, no one is trading out of that spot. Remember what people were saying the price would be for the Rangers to trade out of #2 this past draft? The Rangers are just going to have to hope lightning strikes twice.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I don't want to needlessly unload depth, but there's also the reality that not all of these pieces can make it to the big club. Even if all of them pan out, there's too many defensemen in the system for them to all suit up for us at the same time.

The organizational weakness is top 6 centers right now (and more generally, forwards). Zibanejad is one, Chytil may be another, but after that, Howden and Andersson may be bottom 6 centers rather than top 6 ones.

Conversely, we have a ton of wing depth and D depth, both LD and RD.

We've already done a 2-for-1 trade to bring aboard Trouba.

I don't know what Gorton's intentions are, but if I could give up a package like that for Byfield, I think I'd do it.

I just don't know that guys like Perfetti, or even Lundell, are on that same tier.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don't know what Gorton's intentions are, but if I could give up a package like that for Byfield, I think I'd do it.

I just don't know that guys like Perfetti, or even Lundell, are on that same tier.

Can't argue with that. I just don't see any team holding that 2nd overall being willing to give up on Byfield.

I think I agree 100%, if the 2nd OV is available, we should go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad