Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If he were a hockey ops guy yes. It isn’t a requirement if you’re working to get a new arena built.

But as the CEO he’s still the last stop before the owner and is the main spokesperson for ownership.

He’s the guy who ownership trusts the most... period. You don’t have to like it.

Agreed. He ran a bank. He's a businessman, and priority #1 for the club is to secure a long-term arena.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I'm imagining Army sitting in his office on draft day, refreshing NHL.com, and saying Fuuuuuck when he sees the Coyotes selection of Miller.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Official statement from UND:

Should note: according to the UND president's statement, he made the call after talking to Miller himself. Just in case you might be thinking this is a knee-jerk cancel culture moment.

I’m okay with the professional sports team dumping him. But college is for kids. He’s already a student there, half way through his first semester. He’s been with the team and the coaches, getting ready for the season.

I think UND made the wrong choice, here. And I do think it was the weak choice. I look forward to the day when organizations finally realize that online mobs only have power if you allow them to. That statement is not specific to this situation and this particularly situation isn’t the best example, nor the one I’d choose to make my case with, however.

I work for a digital marketing firm. I sell digital advertising services to organizations for a living. I very much hope that companies will start dealing with social media backlash by simply deleting their accounts and carrying on with business as usual.

Again, all of that is fairly irrelevant to this situation.

I don’t see UND and Arizona as equals here. Arizona is a business. The Coyotes are a company. UND is supposed to be more than that. They should be working to shape Miller. Pro sports is a cut throat business. Should a university be also? This feels gross to me. Really.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
There is no excuse for Sullivan and Scott Walker not knowing better.
I disagree. If they think he’s become a really good kid over the last few years and have no character concerns moving forward, then I think they were smart to suggest the pick. Problem is there was no GM with veto power over the social/political bullshit that would follow.

I don’t agree with the outrage over this pick. I think if the team says, we did our due diligence, we believe in this kid, and we stand behind our decision, then I’m personally fine with that. The only reason I oppose it is because I know the mob can ever accept level-headedness in any way shape or form.

Reactions: Jakey53 and up2nfg

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Curious where he ends up playing now? He'd have to leave school to do so, right?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I disagree. If they think he’s become a really good kid over the last few years and have no character concerns moving forward, then I think they were smart to suggest the pick. Problem is there was no GM with veto power over the social/political bullshit that would follow.

I don’t agree with the outrage over this pick. I think if the team says, we did our due diligence, we believe in this kid, and we stand behind our decision, then I’m personally fine with that. The only reason I oppose it is because I know the mob can ever accept level-headedness in any way shape or form.

If they did not anticipate backlash over this pick in today's social/political/cultural environment, then they are tone deaf and maybe need step back from hockey and read/watch the news.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It seems to me that most people want revenge rather than justice. It seems to me that most people actually DONT want Miller to become a good person who uses his privilege to be a force of good.

It seems most people only want to see vengeance be done. It’s not social justice it’s simple wrath. This is societal decay. Mercy and forgiveness have become the dirtiest of words. It’s gross.

Having said all of that, Mitch Miller probably does suck and probably still is an asshole. Lol.

Reactions: ck26 and Kevin27NYI

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If they did not anticipate backlash over this pick in today's social/political/cultural environment, then they are tone deaf and maybe need step back from hockey and read/watch the news.
Perhaps they were naive enough that they felt if they put their reputation on the line over it, people would accept that. I would. It’s reasonable. But the mob won’t. They aren’t reasonable. The mob isn’t interested in beneficial or positive outcomes. They just want blood.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Curious where he ends up playing now? He'd have to leave school to do so, right?
I’m sure Sarnia won’t take him. Perhaps he should return to the USHL while this blows over for a year and then maybe the OHL will accept him. The USHL can’t very well kick him out now. That’s just too much hypocrisy. Even for 2020 that’s too much.

Reactions: RemoAZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think UND made the wrong choice, here. And I do think it was the weak choice.

I disagree, because UND did what the Coyotes didn't do - talk to Miller himself and the family. Whatever Mitchell Miller said to the UND president and the head of the Men's Hockey program convinced them that he should not play hockey with the team. Please also note that UND is not kicking him out of school and, based on the statement, will work with Miller to get him to a place where he might play hockey for them a season or two from now. Which is what they should do and what the Coyotes were incapable of doing, because - as you said - the Coyotes are a business and UND is a learning institution.

I'm reading all this stuff about "online mobs" and "cancel culture" and "baseless outrage" and a whole lot of other really easy targets of the blame game. What I'm not seeing is acknowledgement that several parties who have communicated directly with Mitchell Miller have elected to not pursue a relationship with him (NHL teams) or curtail his extracurricular activities (UND). At what point do people recognize that, fundamentally, words and actions have consequences that might not be palatable, but are necessary?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Congrats Progressive World , you have now bullied a kid 4 years after he was convicted of being a disgusting bully. Give yourself a pat on the back. If he offs himself more than a few adults should be looking at their mirror.

lol wut

Reactions: Dead Coyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Congrats Progressive World , you have now bullied a kid 4 years after he was convicted of being a disgusting bully. Give yourself a pat on the back. If he offs himself more than a few adults should be looking at their mirror.
Sin begets sin. Miller could off himself, turn to drug abuse, violence and or theft etc. sure it started with him, but nothing good has developed from the current actions. UND trying to save face by claiming they’ve spoke with him and come to this conclusion does not impress me whatsoever. I’m certain this was no secret to them prior to the last week, or so.

Reactions: Jakey53

KG

Sep 23, 2010
A KID was moving forward in life 4 years after he was convicted of a heinous crime and did his sentence. So called adults have now bullied everyone into sentencing this kid for Life. Not that hard to understand my point. I guess we really don't believe in 2nd chances or rehabilitation.
Bullying is calling someone racial slurs and forcing someone to eat a candy pop that you've rubbed in a urinal. What is happening to miller is not bullying.

Reactions: seventieslord

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Victim blaming.
Not blaming them for being the victim but you suggested right now is not good for them, all they had to do to not have this continue in the media is say they are moving forward and don't want it to continue. I believe the Mom knows she made a mistake this go around as she is not happy with what is happening to Miller. You will never find peace without trying to find yourself past tge incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad