Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he produces at UND, he'll get signed somewhere. That's how the hockey world - indeed, most of professional sports - works.

Well, there are 14 pages' worth of people saying that "nobody knows the whole story" and "people are jumping to conclusions" - so why would that change now because the outcome is different?
True. I'm included in jumping to conclusions here, but this team is talking out of both sides of their mouth here. Two wrongs don't make a right. I had no problem with the Coyotes drafting Miller, but I have problems with how everything has unfolded since then.

Reactions: Yandover and RemoAZ

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
It was an outstanding draft choice. Coyotes stole a guy that should have been taken in the 2nd round. Having had to forfeit their earlier picks, this was a brilliant consolation.

Then they lacked the conviction to stand behind a damn fine hockey move and capitulated to cancel culture. Might as well have skipped the draft entirely.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Apparently he bullied the kid again 2 years ago. 2 years after his court case where the judge felt he hadn’t learned anything. Would you be saying the same thing had this kid done it to yours? Don’t think so
That's what the mother said, but I don't think ever proven. Courts should protect minors, not leave them to wolves for the rest of their life. What Miller did was wrong and disgusting but these kids should be in programs to correct this type of behavior, and if they don't change, let the adult courts decide their punishment then.

Reactions: Yandover and RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
MILLER has not talked to them. When will you understand? Noone should give forgiveness if it is not sincere. Miller has never asked the victim or his family for forgiveness like his accomplice did. The family was able to forgive the accomplice because they found him sincere in his regret and in possession of a human heart. Through forgiveness the family was able to move on.

Miller on the other hand just showed more cruelty and sadism instead and rubbed his sociopathy in the faces of the family. You cannot forgive that, forgiving a sociopath is pointless, they are unable to feel genuine remorse. At best you can only accept that they are not wired right and they lack an essential capacity crucial to a human being.

Miller is STILL abusing his victims. His mere existence is abusive as long as he hasn't apologized and shown he is capable of human emotions such as regret.
When will you understand that the lack of forgiveness only hurts them? Your scenario will have this situation eating at them for the rest of their lives.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I thought the reason why this had not made it out into the national media as much was because the two individuals were charged in juvenile court, and wound up pleading guilty. I guess that if they did not, the video evidence of what went down in the fight would also be exposed.

Seems like the optimal thing for Miller was to do just enough damage control to make it seem as if though a lesson had been learned. People can worm their way out of things, and hope that it doesn't come up. Really hard to do nowadays.

I think that the best thing for UND would be to have Miller redshirt the season and be with a counselor/sports psychologist through all of freshman year. Have a leadership team on the roster that informs them of any deviation from his track. Then, the determination of when he starts playing is up to an effort of the coaches, teammates, and leadership to determine if Miller has succeeded in helping himself.

So, if they are at a party, and Miller gets drunk and says some disparaging comments on race, that gets brought back to coaches and sports psychologists to work with. Doesn't mean he is a lost cause, but the hope is that this renouncement of his rights is the first step in helping Miller understand that there are consequences to actions. Earning the trust of those who are around your actions is something that Miller has not been exposed to, until now.

That is where I am saying, the last thing for Miller should be regarding his hockey skills. Life skills and being a better person should be at the forefront.

Also, by being away from the situation in Cedar Rapids and Tri-City, it is easy to state that because there were no problems there, it is a non-issue. Well, all it takes is one moment to feel disrespected in any new location, and this kid may fly off the handle. He just happened to be able to get around that because the victim was not in the same town. If the victim were in the same town as Miller, you better believe that this would be continuing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If that "something" was repeatedly bullying a disabled kid in increasingly disgusting ways while also adding racial slurs in the mix, I'd hope I'd have the introspective ability to know I deserved it.
I'm so tired of social media, BLM and all this racist BS. Everyone is coming to their own conclusions here, me included, without knowing all the FACTS. It's done, the kids were punished by the courts. We all are making all these kids and families lives worse, not better. We may not like the punishment by the courts, but it is what it is. Life is not fair. Let these kids and families try to get their life back together so they can live a somewhat normal life.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He wasn’t hired for his hockey knowledge.
He should have some background in sports management. He's unqualified for his role. He should have been brought on as CFO, or a real estate advisor. His handling of this proves he shouldn't be the CEO handling some PR duties. His role should be behind the scenes working on an arena and finance, which is his specialty.

Reactions: Surfshop

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Official statement from UND:

Should note: according to the UND president's statement, he made the call after talking to Miller himself. Just in case you might be thinking this is a knee-jerk cancel culture moment.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He should have some background in sports management. He's unqualified for his role. He should have been brought on as CFO, or a real estate advisor. His handling of this proves he shouldn't be the CEO handling some PR duties. His role should be behind the scenes working on an arena and finance, which is his specialty.

If he were a hockey ops guy yes. It isn’t a requirement if you’re working to get a new arena built.

But as the CEO he’s still the last stop before the owner and is the main spokesperson for ownership.

He’s the guy who ownership trusts the most... period. You don’t have to like it.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Blaming XG or Army is dumb. The one at fault here is the scout who pushed for this selection. He should be gone.
I disagree. I think the scouts did a good job. If they’re convinced his character issues are behind him, and he’s clearly the best player there, I expect scouts to recommend the pick. PR and media/ownership appeasing is why the GM is supposed to be at the table. We didn’t have a GM.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I disagree. I think the scouts did a good job. If they’re convinced his character issues are behind him, and he’s clearly the best player there, I expect scouts to recommend the pick. PR and media/ownership appeasing is why the GM is supposed to be at the table. We didn’t have a GM.

There is no excuse for Sullivan and Scott Walker not knowing better.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad