2020/21 Roster Thread IV: A New Hope

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In career so far:

Friedman with Hagg: 36.9% Corsi, 40.3% ExGF
Friedman without Hagg: 59.6% Corsi, 51.6% ExGF

Small samples. But that is a precipitous difference even so. But not an unheard of difference really... everyone loses like ~5% Corsi or ExGF minimum playing with Hagg over a decent strecth.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Right? I will never for the life of me understand why the same logic isn't applied to Hagg as it is to others. Hagg's literally the worst regular defenseman in the NHL. He's simply not nor has ever been a serviceable NHL player. Friedman's a much better player. Anything more than a 6/7 at the NHL level? No idea. But a much better player than Hagg? Absolutely.
It's simple.

The fans want Friedman to play and the coaches resist.
The coaches want Hagg to play and fan hate it.

If you're someone who is incapable of disagreeing with the staff and defend literally everything you do, you'll defend Hagg and bash Friedman.

That's all this is. Same as always. Defending Hagg defends the staff and bashing Friedman defends the staff.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

BritainStix

Oct 20, 2016
In career so far:

Small samples. But that is a precipitous difference even so. But not an unheard of difference really... everyone loses like ~5% Corsi or ExGF minimum playing with Hagg over a decent strecth.

So what you are saying is that Robert Hagg is the premier defenseman in the league for aiding the development of young defenseman?

He's such an underrated force

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
In career so far:

Stop obsessing over Hagg, alex

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
In career so far:

We call this the AMac effect.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's simple.

The fans want Friedman to play and the coaches resist.
The coaches want Hagg to play and fan hate it.

If you're someone who is incapable of disagreeing with the staff and defend literally everything you do, you'll defend Hagg and bash Friedman.

That's all this is. Same as always. Defending Hagg defends the staff and bashing Friedman defends the staff.
Just like Farabee not being ready last year....until those all important 5 AHL games that made him NHL ready.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just like Farabee not being ready last year....until those all important 5 AHL games that made him NHL ready.
We've seen this exact thing with Friedman, Frost, Farabee, NAK, Myers, TK, and a few others over the past few years. Anyone who wasn't brought up when they should've been.

"tHeYrE nOt ReAdY!!!!!!" and a few days later they've proven they were ready, as we expected.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He could starfish, theres a difference.
A visual representation of AMACs defensive play

ScholarlyAromaticFowl-size_restricted.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Damn, look at our non-NHL-ready guys, weak little Frost and Friedman, being at the top of the list and a few of only four Flyers with a CF% over 50% and five with over 50% xGF%

For guys who haven't shown enough, they sure are showing a lot.

719457e57d84170df7f78b4069c454fc.png

Meanwhile Hagg is rocking 44.05 CF% and 37.99 xGF%:

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamParrot

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The reason people focus on Hagg is because he's an easy change. He doesn't make much money, he's clearly not good enough, and he doesn't have significant term.

I would even argue that he's made some defensive progress under Vigneault as compared to 2018-19. The problem is that he's done it by cratering his offense. 2018-19 Hagg is one of the single worst defensive seasons I can remember league-wide. He hasn't been that.

Last edited:

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I'd legit like to see Morin get a few games in at LD on the 3rd pair to see if he can hang. I don't have much hope but it can't be any worse than Hagg & Gus.

Provorov Ghost - I've only been begging for this pair to get reunited for literal YEARS.
Sanheim Braun
Morin Friedman - by the way, Friedman is the 5th best defenseman on the roster and should be ahead of Hagg, Gus, & Braun on the depth chart but won't be because he's not veterany enough.

When Myers comes back, Braun can become the 7. Fire Hagg and Gus off into outer space for all I care.

If we can acquire a guy to step into that bottom LD role and jettison off Hagg or Gus in exchange, I'd be more than happy to throw in an early-mid round pick to make that happen. It'd be worth it just to get them off the f***ing roster.
This is basically how I feel

Reactions: mja and Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad