2020/21 Roster Thread IV: A New Hope

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Except Ghost, who was better with Hagg the last two years than away from Hagg.
Go figure.

He wasn't last year...

2019-20:

With Hagg: 50.53% CF, 44.8% ExGF
Without Hagg: 52.44% CF, 45.6% ExGF

But yeh, his 166 minutes with Hagg in 2018-19 were good. Like the only person ever to get Hagg over 50% ExGF... (Hagg was worse away from Ghost than Ghost was away from Hagg)

2018-19:

With Hagg: 49.44% CF, 56.65% ExGF
Without Hagg: 51.11% CF, 48.4% ExGF

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If I'm reading it correctly, I think a more accurate way to phrase that would be that his strengths come into play most often when there is sustained DZone time. That's not quite the same thing as him being at his best.

While size isn't the be all and end all, the Flyers lack size on defense, and Friedman disappointed me in that he's not as strong as I'd hoped (when Marchand can flip you, well . . .), Ghost is obvious, Sanheim plays smaller than his size in the D-zone, Gus is still trying to master defense 101. Basically right now it's Provorov, Braun and Hagg until Myers comes back.

If you move out Braun and Hagg you easily have the smallest defense in the NHL.
Does that matter? I've been told Cooper is a genius, and TB has the largest defense in the NHL, an accident?

So as a HC it's a bit of a dilemma, I can play the more skilled defensemen and know that teams are going to emphasize a physical forecheck and try to wear them down and send players to the net with impunity. Or I can play the slugs and know I'm lowering my skill level.

It's going to be worse with Zamula, though maybe York is the mighty mite I was hoping Friedman would be (shorter player with strength who knows how to use leverage to compensate for lack of size). Millman, Andrae, only Attard and St Ivany (and Ginning if he ever learns how to play hockey) have size, but both are probably 3rd pair at best.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He wasn't last year...

2019-20:

With Hagg: 50.53% CF, 44.8% ExGF
Without Hagg: 52.44% CF, 45.6% ExGF
And these numbers are dragged down by his time with Braun too. (We've already discussed our differing opinions on him, so we'll just skip that ;))

Ghost and Myers put up great numbers together. Not a huge sample, but it was a solid chunk of his time away from Hagg (3rd highest behind Hagg and Braun).
57.89 CF%
58.74 xGF%

If Ghost wasn't stuck on the 3rd pair all of last season his numbers would've been drastically different.

But yeah, those 166 min where he carried Hagg are proof Hagg doesn't suck lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost and Myers put up bad numbers the year before, beware of SSS and numbers used out of context.

Though I'm amused of the great effort used to show that a #6/#7 defensemen is, well, a marginal NHL player.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ghost and Myers put up bad numbers the year before, beware of SSS and numbers used out of context.

Though I'm amused of the great effort used to show that a #6/#7 defensemen is, well, a marginal NHL player.

Even more amusing is the great effort you put in to defending his position instead of just admitting he is garbage.

Reactions: Striiker

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
AV is trash

I have a problem with the content of this comment for many of the reasons that were stated yesterday; however, this statement made by AV is obviously intended for Friedman's ears,. I don't have an inherent problem with that methodology for motivation. Some people respond to this type of motivational tactic, some don't. I hope AV has read the situation well enough, and understands that. My fear, which comes solely from stereotypes of 'hockey guy' culture, is that he's old school and won't be able to determine which motivational tactic works for which person.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a problem with the content of this comment for many of the reasons that were stated yesterday; however, this statement made by AV is obviously intended for Friedman's ears,. I don't have an inherent problem with that methodology for motivation. Some people respond to this type of motivational tactic, some don't. I hope AV has read the situation well enough, and understands that. My fear, which comes solely from stereotypes of 'hockey guy' culture, is that he's old school and won't be able to determine which motivational tactic works for which person.
My issue was mostly with the last part of the tweet, not the pointless [inaccurate] critiques as a motivation tactic.

If he's taking Friedman out when Myers comes back then that's just indefensible. There's no debate that Hagg is the worst D in the lineup, so the fact that he's completely immune to accountability for his play is just disgusting. Especially when this coward is so eager to criticize others, like Friedman, Ghost, Voracek, JVR, Frost, and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: VladDrag

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

In the realm of coaches "calling out" players publicly, AV's comments on Friedman are as benign as it gets.

"Expecting more urgency" is a comment that could apply to most players in the NHL some of the time, and some of the players most of the time.

Reactions: orangey

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Friedman biggest issue when everyone is healthy is that he doesn’t play LD or play special teams overly well.

Their has to be a expiring overpaid LD out there that teams are trying to dump. Like a Coburn

Right now maybe but they have a couple LD coming in Z and York, who project to top 5, so Friedman could end up a cheap complimentary right side guy down the road.

Also Friedman has experience playing the left side, if they really wanted to keep Braun in and spell Hagg (fat chance).

Not saying he is a high end prospect or anything but he could very well develop into a reliable 3rd pair guy, so it's well worth letting him play while Myers is out and hopefully later while they figure out the 3rd pair.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I thought small, but fearless and scrappy were part of the in crowd.
At very least, Friedman is a competent skater. I know that much.
Right? That's a large part of the gig with D and then just don't get noticed too much in a bad way (cough, Gus). Friedman is a perfectly serviceable NHL player IMO and cheap. Much better than a lot of the other stiffs we have seen over the years.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Right? That's a large part of the gig with D and then just don't get noticed too much in a bad way (cough, Gus). Friedman is a perfectly serviceable NHL player IMO and cheap. Much better than a lot of the other stiffs we have seen over the years.
I think definitely give him some time and a real chance. He's earned it, and deserves it over the obvious current rostered slugs.

Reactions: orangey and TB87

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Friedman will have his chance, Myers won't be back for another week or two, it's up to him to seize the opportunity.
If they love veterans so much, how come 19 year old Farabee played over Andreoff last season?

Given how undersized this defense is, Friedman has to be more than "meh", he has to show his skills are more than enough to compensate for making a small defense even smaller.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
How about nak for dunn? I think kase can fill in for nak and hopefully dunn will mean hagg leaves the lineout but you can never underestimate dumb.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Friedman will have his chance, Myers won't be back for another week or two, it's up to him to seize the opportunity.
If they love veterans so much, how come 19 year old Farabee played over Andreoff last season?

Given how undersized this defense is, Friedman has to be more than "meh", he has to show his skills are more than enough to compensate for making a small defense even smaller.

Myers will likely be back for the games against the Isles...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Or will he?

Or will Nate P get his chance instead.

Your obsession with size is alarming. Over compensating? How about just be a BETTER Dman regardless of size. If you get the job done, that's what matters.

I am going for a nap.

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Or will he?

Or will Nate P get his chance instead.

Your obsession with size is alarming. Over compensating? How about just be a BETTER Dman regardless of size. If you get the job done, that's what matters.

I am going for a nap.

Wait what is this talk of Nate Prosser?

That dude f***ing stinks.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
What are Nate Prosser stats with Hagg?
I would rather see Morin in there then Nate the great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad