Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Probably a bit of armchair GM, but I'd have sure liked to have back those two 2nd round picks used/wasted on Dzingel for risk-taking on Gusev.
Less armchair, more hindsight. Dzingel being essentially useless was kind of a rude surprise; he seemed ready-made for a spot next to Duchene seeing as though he'd been doing it all year.

But yeah, given the way things turned out, I'd have preferred a try with Gusev as well. :dunno:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Teams that have forwards to spare via trade (depth/cap reasons/etc):

Toronto
Montreal
Calgary
St. Louis
Tampa
Winnipeg

Not a long list of teams there. And less have a need for D. I don’t see a high likelihood for any major trades to bring in a top-6 forward happening this offseason.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Teams that have forwards to spare via trade (depth/cap reasons/etc):

Toronto
Montreal
Calgary
St. Louis
Tampa
Winnipeg

Not a long list of teams there. And less have a need for D. I don’t see a high likelihood for any major trades to bring in a top-6 forward happening this offseason.

There are likely at least a couple others. Florida for example comes immediately to mind. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are more. Plus you just never know if there’s a team that really likes a certain player, even if they appear mostly set on D.

Reactions: CPTN71

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think there is a difference in being comfortable and always trying to make your team better.

Fair. Although I think he’s less likely to “try to make the team better” at defense.

It’s probably a middle ground. I don’t think he’s panicking (if he was, he would’ve found a way to beat that NJD offer for Gusev) but I highly doubt he’s as confident in the F corps as the D. He might not be uncomfortable about the forwards, but I highly doubt he is comfortable, either, like the way he is about the D.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
There are likely at least a couple others. Florida for example comes immediately to mind. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are more. Plus you just never know if there’s a team that really likes a certain player, even if they appear mostly set on D.

Idk about Florida, the only forward I see them thinking about moving is Hoffman because he’s in the last year of his contract. If they were able to get the B+B combo on July 1, then different story. No way they consider moving Huberdeau/Trochek.

Sure something could come out of left field (we’ve seen it happen a few times before), I just don’t think anything will happen because of the logjam of high profile RFAs yet to be signed and the high amount of defensemen already rumored to being on the market.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Probably a bit of armchair GM, but I'd have sure liked to have back those two 2nd round picks used/wasted on Dzingel for risk-taking on Gusev.

Could have kept Duclair around too. Would give Sonny a partner in the "offensively skilled, doesn't display enough D for Torts" doghouse.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could have kept Duclair around too. Would give Sonny a partner in the "offensively skilled, doesn't display enough D for Torts" doghouse.
Leave off the "for Torts" and it's accurate. Duclair has worn out his welcome with many, many coaches before he came to Tortorella in an attempt to learn to do better. Milano obviously doesn't have that same track record of bouncing from team to team, but he seems to have a similar mental block w/r/d the other half of the ice going.

Or to be more blunt about it - it's not a Tortorella problem.

Reactions: Toe Pick

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Leave off the "for Torts" and it's accurate. Duclair has worn out his welcome with many, many coaches before he came to Tortorella in an attempt to learn to do better. Milano obviously doesn't have that same track record of bouncing from team to team, but he seems to have a similar mental block w/r/d the other half of the ice going.

Or to be more blunt about it - it's not a Tortorella problem.
Partially true, but......While many coaches struggle with these type players, think it's clear Torts has even less tolerance for this style and Dzingel is a not so dissimilar player. His healthy scratch in the playoffs was because he was seeing visions of Duclair. Dzingel would never have proven nearly as successful here as during his time in Ottawa.

I'll add I wasn't a huge fan of Dzingel but I do believe his short time in Columbus and inability to adapt cost him $1M AAV this summer.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Less armchair, more hindsight. Dzingel being essentially useless was kind of a rude surprise; he seemed ready-made for a spot next to Duchene seeing as though he'd been doing it all year.

Yeah, I don't know if I would have let Dzingle walk. We tend to take on charity cases and he would have fit right in.... :p

I don't know he's wasn't all that good but he only got a two year deal. I'd have been ok with that deal and maybe moved him at the deadline if he didn't rebound. I don't really like rentals and wasting assets like that, but what do I know? I figured he was the one that would have been most likely to stay when all this went down at the deadline. He's probably going to be decent in Carolina.

We can say what we want about our coaching, but certain coaches tend to get more out of their players than others. I can't really say Torts is really in that category.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
is there any forward you guys would like as camp invite ?

Derick Brassard, Devante Smith-Pelly, maybe Marko Dano. It's a scrap heap, for sure. I'd pick these guys because you could tell in a span of a couple weeks at camp whether they've turned the corner. Does Brass still have it in him? Is DSP going to fight harder to be a full time NHLer? I think we'd find out relatively quickly whether these guys could improve on last year.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What kind of return would Columbus be looking for to move Savard?

Asking for Colorado who could use a good bottom pair RHD for the next 1-2 years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What kind of return would Columbus be looking for to move Savard?

Asking for Colorado who could use a good bottom pair RHD for the next 1-2 years.

His price is what you'd expect for a very good second pair D, not a third pair guy.

Aren't you guys supposed to prefer our scraps?

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Before he went to you guys, we were discussing with Toronto a Savard-for-Kadri one-for-one.
That's interesting.

For the record, I didn't mean that Savard is a bottom-pairing defenseman quality wise. That's just where he'd be on our blueline given that we already have Makar and Johnson. With the capspace we have it would be really nice to stack the defense with a big upgrade at 3rd pairing RHD.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's interesting.

For the record, I didn't mean that Savard is a bottom-pairing defenseman quality wise. That's just where he'd be on our blueline given that we already have Makar and Johnson. With the capspace we have it would be really nice to stack the defense with a big upgrade at 3rd pairing RHD.

Fair enough, as long as you understand that's not his value/price.

Reactions: Viqsi

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If Jarmo doesn't trade a D for a F for whatever reason, could we see Torts deploy 11F 7D on most nights? I can't think of a team that's done so, but the strength and depth of the D far outclasses the depth of the Fs

Nyquist
Cam
PLD
Foligno
Jenner
Anderson
Bjorkstrand
Nash
Wennberg
Dubinsky
Texier
Robinson
Milano

Jones
Werenski
Savard
Nuti
Murray
Gavrikov
Kukan
Harrington

I know I would like Kukan out there as the extra D than playing someone like Robinson or Milano five minutes a night just to complete a line

I may have missed some players, my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be lol. The F list for me assumes that Bemstrom shows he's not ready and goes back to Sweden for the year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Jarmo doesn't trade a D for a F for whatever reason, could we see Torts deploy 11F 7D on most nights? I can't think of a team that's done so, but the strength and depth of the D far outclasses the depth of the Fs

Nyquist
Cam
PLD
Foligno
Jenner
Anderson
Bjorkstrand
Nash
Wennberg
Dubinsky
Texier
Robinson
Milano

Jones
Werenski
Savard
Nuti
Murray
Gavrikov
Kukan
Harrington

I know I would like Kukan out there as the extra D than playing someone like Robinson or Milano five minutes a night just to complete a line

I may have missed some players, my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be lol. The F list for me assumes that Bemstrom shows he's not ready and goes back to Sweden for the year.

I don't think we'd do that because it wouldn't substitute any F minutes for D minutes. It would just be the #7D taking minutes from the other D, and more minutes for the 11 F's.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think we'd do that because it wouldn't substitute any F minutes for D minutes. It would just be the #7D taking minutes from the other D, and more minutes for the 11 F's.

Agreed so the real question is: Is any of the D depth better at forward that the forward depth. I’d guess the answer there, whether we like it or not or might like to entertain the notion, is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad