Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
My 2c on the best scenario for this season:

Im fine with not making the PO. Im also fine with a more or less disastrous first half of the season. Yet I hope that the second half will be positive as in "the bottom is in and we improve from there".

A real disaster wouldnt be to miss the PO but failure to find signs of consistency and to enter a multi year downtrend. Please lets not have that...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed so the real question is: Is any of the D depth better at forward that the forward depth. I’d guess the answer there, whether we like it or not or might like to entertain the notion, is no.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I'd still like to try Wennberg at D (yes call me crazy, but the guy is only good with the play in front of him). Obviously with the depth chart like this it's even more of an opium pipe dream.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
My 2c on the best scenario for this season:

Im fine with not making the PO. Im also fine with a more or less disastrous first half of the season. Yet I hope that the second half will be positive as in "the bottom is in and we improve from there".

A real disaster wouldnt be to miss the PO but failure to find signs of consistency and to enter a multi year downtrend. Please lets not have that...
I am NOT fine with not making the playoffs. I want to make the playoffs every year and make a run for the Cup with regularity. The theme for this year and this team needs to be: Find a Way

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am NOT fine with not making the playoffs. I want to make the playoffs every year and make a run for the Cup with regularity. The theme for this year and this team needs to be: Find a Way

I think it's already been declared "Screw those a**holes".

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Also, just to be clear, because I think we’ve either talked around or purposely ignored it over the last month or so...

But Jarmo isn’t trading a d-man for a top six forward before camp, is he?

Reactions: Xoggz22

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Also, just to be clear, because I think we’ve either talked around or purposely ignored it over the last month or so...

But Jarmo isn’t trading a d-man for a top six forward before camp, is he?

I think he could trade a Savard type for 2nd-3rd line wing, but I think to get a legit 2C it would costs us Murray. Obviously there are exceptions - like an older 2C with one year left on deal could be acquired but I don't see us trading for a 1 year rental.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I feel a D-for-F trade will happen at some point but I'm guessing it may be after the season gets going. Having Murray show that he's fully recovered and contributing like a top 3 D again will help. Whether it's Murray or one of the other D (ZW, Savard, Nuti) that goes is open for debate.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My thinking about ‘there’s not gonna be a trade’ is because we’re so far into the summer with nothing happening. But is it possible Jarmo is waiting to get Zach signed to see what the future holds?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been saying this for a month but since it's come up again I think there is a lot of trade activity being held up by the unsigned RFAs. It's not just Werenski, it's Marner, it's Laine, it's Connor, etc.. The Jets for example are obviously not done. It looks like they're missing an entire second pair of D men, we have #5 - #7 guys like Nuti, Kukan, and Gavrikov that would be leading their second pair. But they can't move a forward to get one until the F's are locked up. For all we know Jarmo and Chevy have a rough deal worked out but want to make sure the guys get signed first. If you make a trade for an RFA and then try and sign him the price usually goes up a lot. Same if you trade away someone's roster competition.

I wonder if there are still questions about Murray.

Questions about his health? Why would there not be?

I'd also question if it would be smart to trade him. He's a much better player than is probably reflected in his trade value.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If the Canadians aren't interested, and I don't see why they wouldn't be, I'd give old Markov a year. I'm usually not in the market for 40 year old D, but he's a pretty special player. On a side note, Shattenkirk is Shattenkirk but it's a shame we couldn't do better than what Tampa did. Even when Shattenkirk is bad he's worth more than that.

Fun, fun.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the Canadians aren't interested, and I don't see why they wouldn't be, I'd give old Markov a year. I'm usually not in the market for 40 year old D, but he's a pretty special player. On a side note, Shattenkirk is Shattenkirk but it's a shame we couldn't do better than what Tampa did. Even when Shattenkirk is bad he's worth more than that.

Fun, fun.

Have you looked at our D depth chart? Where are these guys supposed to play? Whose minutes do they get?

I don't think bad Shattenkirk is worth anything. His one contribution prior to his stint in New York was that he was a great PP defenseman, and he wasn't even good at that last year. We'd be much better off with Clendening than that version of Shattenkirk.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Have you looked at our D depth chart? Where are these guys supposed to play? Whose minutes do they get?

I don't think bad Shattenkirk is worth anything. His one contribution prior to his stint in New York was that he was a great PP defenseman, and he wasn't even good at that last year. We'd be much better off with Clendening than that version of Shattenkirk.

I appreciate your thinly veiled mockery. To answer your first question, yes I have looked at our depth chart at D. I'll give you the opportunity to figure out for yourself why I would suggest it. It is a good exercise in critical thinking. Even if I explain it, you'll just respond how you generally do. Maybe if you actually bothered to think about something before you responded, it would be a benefit to our conversations.

As for your second, I'm bored with these types of posts by you and others. They really aren't even worth responding to. Again, why I suggest it is related to why I mentioned Markov, although Markov would be preferable. Maybe instead of being a jerk and posting dumb crap out Clendening you would ask yourself why Tampa was ok with it. I'm sure you'l come up with some justification that fits your narrative, no matter poorly reasoned.

I tend to offer a different view of things and as time goes on these views tend to circulate more in the main stream and gain traction. In this case they really won't unless Shattenkirk has a great season.

The reason that I'm responding as harshly as I am is that I'm generally tired of the discourse. I have a reputation, justly in some cases. However, people around here think that reputation is justification to treat me poorly and treat me like an idiot (to be fair you treat a lot of people like idiots, no matter how often you are just dead wrong). I've proven over the years that I may be a jerk at times, but I am certainly not an idiot. While my opinions aren't consensus, they are generally well thought out and tend to be "right" far more often than not. I tend to think that you have some valuable insight at times, but I think you could learn nuance and the ability to look at things from multiple angles.

In this case I don't think either of us "right" nor "wrong".

Have a good one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I appreciate your thinly veiled mockery. To answer your first question, yes I have looked at our depth chart at D. I'll give you the opportunity to figure out for yourself why I would suggest it. It is a good exercise in critical thinking. Even if I explain it, you'll just respond how you generally do. Maybe if you actually bothered to think about something before you responded, it would be a benefit to our conversations.

As for your second, I'm bored with these types of posts by you and others. They really aren't even worth responding to. Again, why I suggest it is related to why I mentioned Markov, although Markov would be preferable. Maybe instead of being a jerk and posting dumb crap out Clendening you would ask yourself why Tampa was ok with it. I'm sure you'l come up with some justification that fits your narrative, no matter poorly reasoned.

I tend to offer a different view of things and as time goes on these views tend to circulate more in the main stream and gain traction. In this case they really won't unless Shattenkirk has a great season.

The reason that I'm responding as harshly as I am is that I'm generally tired of the discourse. I have a reputation, justly in some cases. However, people around here think that reputation is justification to treat me poorly and treat me like an idiot (to be fair you treat a lot of people like idiots, no matter how often you are just dead wrong). I've proven over the years that I may be a jerk at times, but I am certainly not an idiot. While my opinions aren't consensus, they are generally well thought out and tend to be "right" far more often than not. I tend to think that you have some valuable insight at times, but I think you could learn nuance and the ability to look at things from multiple angles.

In this case I don't think either of us "right" nor "wrong".

Have a good one.

Sorry I did not mean to give offense, I was looking for an answer. Oh well.

Our depth D looked a lot better than Tampa's last Spring. Maybe Tampa felt Shattenkirk was a step up on Jan Rutta.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sorry I did not mean to give offense, I was looking for an answer. Oh well.

Our depth D looked a lot better than Tampa's last Spring. Maybe Tampa felt Shattenkirk was a step up on Jan Rutta.

Thank you for the tone of the reply, it is appreciated.

I'm not nearly as sold on our depth at D as most around here. I certainly wasn't last season when we said it was one of the better in the league. There are multiple reasons to acquire depth and the player doesn't always to to be a starter or "better" than what you have.

I think if we go under the premise, around here, that all opinions shouldn't be dismissed out of hand we'd probably get along much better. I'm guilty of it from time to time.

In this case, I'm not going to have my feelings hurt if people don't agree with me. However, I ask for the respect of simply not dismissing it out of hand. If you have a question about my position, feel free to ask. I have no issue with your opinion that there aren't enough minutes. For the most part, it would be something that would need to be managed.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Top6 players:
PLD, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist,
Middle6 players:
Foligno, Jenner, Wennberg, Anderson
Bottom6 players:
Dano, Nash, Dubinsky
Wildcards: Bemstrom, Texier

How would you set the lines?

Bemstrom-PLD-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Texier-Anderson
Jenner-Nash-Dano

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dano’s signing has stuck the fork in Bemstrom imo. Unless Dano absolutely flops in camp and Bemstrom plays well I don’t see Bemstrom on the opening night roster. And that’s okay, no need to rush him.

He could make it in theory if he outplays Texier, but I think Texier is a near lock.

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Anderson
Foligno-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Dano-Dubinsky-Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad